ADVERTISEMENT

To everyone calling for Herman's Head...

Herman was the best we can get, you know that. Him or Fleck if we wanted him.
I don’t know that Herman was the best we could get. He was the guy a lot of people wanted not necsssrly the best we could get.

Tom Herman or pj Fleck? I might lean Fleck honestly

I agree with the OP. People calling for Herman's firing now are clueless. Give him time. Let him recruit, which he is doing very well now. If Texas had an above average OL and an above average QB, the Horns would maybe have one loss right now. I have full confidence that Herman will bring his guys in here and get the job done. He is a serious upgrade over Strong.

It may be silly to call for his head right now but calling him a “serious upgrade over Strong” at this point is equally silly. Results wise it’s been about the same. Are the games closer? Sure but L’s are L’s. Herman may ultimately be better than Strong, but with year 1 coming to a close Herman is in the same boat Strong was in. It’s time to aknowlage that. Herman may do what Strong didn’t and show improvement but the jury is out right now.

The problem right now is Herman wants to be a Mack Brown, Nick Saban style coach where he runs the program, recruits, etc. for that to work though you have to have great coordinators guys that go on to be HCs or have been HCs. Saban has that Mack had that a lot. Herman had it at Houston. He doesn’t have it here. No one is knocking on Becks door anytime soon.

Greg Davis was a great coordinator?

I expected to see our coaches scheme better on offense and apply the talent better. I’m not surprised we lost. I’m surprised our offense was as bad as I’ve seen it all season and we only have 3 games remaining. I’m expecting improvement on that side of the ball. Our offense isn’t competitive most of the time.

Reactions: freeper
I expected to see our coaches scheme better on offense and apply the talent better. I’m not surprised we lost. I’m surprised our offense was as bad as I’ve seen it all season and we only have 3 games remaining. I’m expecting improvement on that side of the ball. Our offense isn’t competitive most of the time.

Ya, I agree but for some reason and no excuses to be allowed we are officially in the cfb wilderness with penisee and florida. We are closer to Tennessee. I shouldn't insult florida. They will pull the plug after 1.5 to 2 years of incompetence.

The Texas offense in 2016 scored 31.9 points/game (42th in the nation).

The Texas offense in 2017 is scoring 28.6 points/game (55th in the nation). We have scored 18.3 points/game over the past 3 games (Oklahoma State, Baylor, TCU).

Ya, I agree but for some reason and no excuses to be allowed we are officially in the cfb wilderness with penisee and florida. We are closer to Tennessee. I shouldn't insult florida. They will pull the plug after 1.5 to 2 years of incompetence.

That hasn't gotten Florida anywhere has it. A new coach coming in and turning it around right off the bat is coincidence of being in the right place at the right time. Then most of the time that coach regresses the following years (Sumlin, etc.). The good coaches are the ones who build a team and make it last. We don't know if Herman will do that but he should have the time to try.

Personally I hate losing just like every TEXAS fan but the Defense is 10 times better than last years......at least they have kept TEXAS competitive in most games this year.......and we didn't lose to freaking Kansas. I'm willing to take a mulligan on this year and hopefully see how this team can perform with a healthy (i will take "close" to healthy) O-line. If you can't see TEXAS trending in the right direction then something is wrong with you. TEXAS will be back to being TEXAS before you know it.

Personally I hate losing just like every TEXAS fan but the Defense is 10 times better than last years......at least they have kept TEXAS competitive in most games this year.......and we didn't lose to freaking Kansas. I'm willing to take a mulligan on this year and hopefully see how this team can perform with a healthy (i will take "close" to healthy) O-line. If you can't see TEXAS trending in the right direction then something is wrong with you. TEXAS will be back to being TEXAS before you know it.

That defensive progress is about to go to the nfl. Good coaches make underclassmen play like seniors. Average coaches win with seniors.

You wanted to pull the plug on TH after .25 a year. Get a grip.

You wanted to pull the plug on TH after .25 a year. Get a grip.

I'm on the fence but my experience guided by reason is telling me, "abort, abort, abort". The staff hiring on o was all I needed to see.

Clob, John Harbaugh may be available soon.

Last edited:
In the past the talent could overcome shirty coaching. It is not the case with the offense now. I hope I am wrong but herman won't be here past year 3.

The Texas offense in 2016 scored 31.9 points/game (42th in the nation).

The Texas offense in 2017 is scoring 28.6 points/game (55th in the nation). We have scored 18.3 points/game over the past 3 games (Oklahoma State, Baylor, TCU).
Add OU's shit defense in there and it amazing how horrible this O is.

It's worth noting that winning is a habit, and losing is a habit. I thought long and hard after the OU and OSU games.

During the 4th quarter I caught myself thinking "How is this going to go wrong?" "I sure hope we don't ________." If I am a fan thinking that, then you have to believe deep down in their core, the players sometimes think it too.

As I stated before, we are trying to shift a mindset of hoping to win to expecting to win. That is not easy when only 4 of your players have been part of a winning season at the school. And keep in mind that winning season was one where we went 8-5 and ran out the coach.

Winning and success breeds confidence which breeds playing faster. Watch how fast our defense plays compared to our offense. Watch a simple play like a bubble screen. That play works for teams playing with confidence because the ball is out fast, the receiver is moving fast when he catches it, and the blocks on the perimeter are at full speed (go back and watch film of Colt throwing it to Shipley and Cosby). When we run these things now, it is slow. That is due to a lack of confidence and uncertainty (ie playing slow).

And before we anoint Orlando as God and savior, and Beck as an idiot, I ask that you take a look at the injuries on both sides of the ball.

Also, don't take this as post of support for Beck. I have questioned his play-calling choice like anyone has. However, the playbook looks a lot better when you have healthier depth.

Sorry...I know I rambled a little there...

I will preface by saying I have not posted in a LONG time. However, all of this anti-Herman talk has me fired up.

Anyone thinking Herman and his staff are not our guys...you are wrong. This man knows football, and has learned it from great coaches. He will be a great coach himself. I am a former football coach, and have dealt with issues like he is dealing with on an obviously much smaller scale. Many people calling for his head have probably never coached a down of football in their lives. These things take time. Remember, DKR was 6-4-1 in his first year as HFC.

Here is what I know:

- Herman and his staff inherited a team in which only 4 players have ever been a part of a winning season. Let that sink in for a second. Changing a losing culture is incredibly difficult. Again, if you've never coached, you don't understand how hard that is.
- This team went 5-7 last year...and it was a very bad 5-7 (I was at the KU game...the complete lack of engagement from the team on the sideline was humiliating and infuriating).)
- This team has basically had the perfect storm when it comes to injuries. Hell, we actually found a QB with moxie, only to have him injured. In reality, if he is properly assessed, we possibly win OU or OSU games because we don't put him back out there.
- We had a schedule with one Non-Con cupcake...and we thoroughly beat the daylights out of them.
- The OL injuries have decimated the entire team....they are more important than any injury to any skill player.
- Our DL has been lucky to be injury free, therefore our D has been great. How else do you think we are able to play odd fronts with only 2 second level defenders against 11 personnel with the threat of QB run (Essentially a potential 8 on 5) and still consistently stop the run?

Despite all of this, we have been in almost every game, and have played hard in each of them. I realize people are not in the mood to hear about moral victories, but many of you are very young and did not live through the late 80's and early 90's like I did. Those seasons were like these. Unfortunately, we have been here before. We have been here in different times in our history, and we will be here in the future. If you are a lifer like myself, you will go through a few of these. If you love a team for your life, you will go through 2-3 periods of despair, and 2-3 period of euphoria.

Right now, Herman is working on shifting the culture of this program. He is making it to one where we do not quit in football games. Even in this most recent game, the D took a chance at 17-7 and simply missed a tackle that would have been a turnover on downs. Instead, we sold out and it went for 6.

This team doesn't quit....that's important to note. Even teams under Mack quit (63-14 ring a bell?). We have great days ahead. Be patient and let this play out.

Again...DKR was 6-4-1 in his first year...sure glad we didn't quit on him after one year...
Tired of his excuses..... The offense is awful and Texas has some real talent at WR. He beat Tech and get to a bowl. How was Texas ranked in top 25 in preseason??

It really doesn't matter what any of us think. If Herman goes out there next year and pulls another 5 and 7 or 6 - 6 then the boosters will pull the hook, especially if the team looks exactly like it does this year. If you don't think that's true then look what happened to Florida this year.

It really doesn't matter what any of us think. If Herman goes out there next year and pulls another 5 and 7 or 6 - 6 then the boosters will pull the hook, especially if the team looks exactly like it does this year. If you don't think that's true then look what happened to Florida this year.
Very true. Similar situation to Flordia to if a new AD comes in next year. Is that still the plan?

To those saying “well we switched coaches so we have to start over” while that is true to a certain extent. I think you are drastically overstating that.

Examples
-Todd Orlando seems to be doing fine with the defensive players he inherited.

Miami finished 8-5 the year before mark Richt took over. Richt won 9 games year 1 and 10+ this year.

Jim Harbaugh took a 5-7 team and won 10 games

I could give other examples to... my point is that while it’s true that coaches have different types of players they like it doesn’t have to mean you wait around for success The “I don’t have the players i need” is not something you’d ever here a successful coach say and is an excuse. One no one should buy in to

And there are 100s of examples to the contrary. Using outliers to support your argument is short sighted. You're being obtuse just for the sake of getting replies. You should probably calm the **** down.

Sure Orlando is doing great. Did he lose a major award winner? Did he lose the beat DL Texas has had since '05?

Comparing the talent on O and D to prove a point is also short sighted. Give it a rest.

Armanti couldn't make a play on the ball how many times? Leonard is a possession receiver only, same for Collin. They have a 250 lb. running back that can't use his strength because they have players up front that struggle to block. The other 2 RB are freshmen. Mapps has been struggling with injury. They have a freshmen TE. Buechele holds the ball too long.

What in the hell are they going to scheme in a week of practice against a top 10 defense, LOL.

Who is the game changer on O they can set up with match ups to change the field?

Reactions: horn wild
That defensive progress is about to go to the nfl. Good coaches make underclassmen play like seniors. Average coaches win with seniors.

You'll have to find me a team that is winning with the inexperience up front that Texas has.

Either find some and post them on here or stfu already.

1/100 times will you find a coach that beats good teams with experience while having underclassmen to move the football.

You'll have to find me a team that is winning with the inexperience up front that Texas has.

Either find some and post them on here or stfu already.

1/100 times will you find a coach that beats good teams with experience while having underclassmen to move the football.

Purple Wizard comes to mind. Now you shut the **** up.

And there are 100s of examples to the contrary. Using outliers to support your argument is short sighted. You're being obtuse just for the sake of getting replies. You should probably calm the **** down.

Sure Orlando is doing great. Did he lose a major award winner? Did he lose the beat DL Texas has had since '05?

Comparing the talent on O and D to prove a point is also short sighted. Give it a rest.

I think that some people like to be critical just to be able to say “I told you so”, if it doesn’t get turned around.

It’s like making the observation that you don’t see improvement in the Oline over the course of the season.

Our Starting Oline last night was made up of 2-3 star players that started the season as 2nd and 3rd string minus Vahe and we played against one of the greatest defensive minds in college football.

I know that their are people on here that expect Texas to win every game 50-0, but they live in FantasyLand.

Reactions: LonghornMM
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT