ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Herman Thread

Per TFB:

Winter is Coming | Inside the Building: Spoke with a source about the vibe among the players and how they feel about the new staff and was told the feelings are pretty mixed. I’ve certainly heard about certain players interested in transferring. Whether that comes to pass remains to be seen. I’m sure some of it is just the natural reaction to a coaching change; especially with someone so uniquely loved as Strong was.

But one thing I was told stood out more than anything else. A source mentioned that while in the building coach Herman has been very stand-offish with the players.

In his press conference, Herman emphasized the desire to have a mentally tough team and said that love would not be doled out to to anyone just because they can fit into some pads. He said his love and respect had to be earned. I suspect that is the reason he hasn’t been all warm and fuzzy with his players. I get the sense he wants to create an initial atmosphere of tension to find out who belongs in the Tom Herman family and who is an impostor. – (Super K)

It's called The Change Curve. Everyone in their life time will go through it but these kids probably haven't and if they have it probably hasn't been this drastic of a change. Herman will need to put their mind at ease and get them to buy in to his ways.

From what I hear it's not going to be all butterflies and rainbows around the 40 anymore. It's going to be a lot different. Once/If the kids buy in, watch out!

I've often thought to myself that Strong was too buddy buddy with the players. It seemed like there was a culture of being their friend more than their coach. Didn't work out well on the field.

Seems like we thought Strong was going to clean up the orange slice, cookie mentality.

Maybe Herman really will. It's truly needed.

From what I hear it's not going to be all butterflies and rainbows around the 40 anymore. It's going to be a lot different. Once/If the kids buy in, watch out!

I guess I didn't know Strong as well as I thought. It's unsettling that Strong who was supposed to come in and get rid of all the entitlement just created new entitlement. If Herman is going to increase the toughness of this team, I'm all for it. They were not tough the last two years. They were in great shape and looked the part of great football players, but when they got punched in the mouth they seemed to fold especially in the losses to TCU and OSU. Do they not understand they lost 7 games, and that is unacceptable at the University of Texas.

I've often thought to myself that Strong was too buddy buddy with the players. It seemed like there was a culture of being their friend more than their coach. Didn't work out well on the field.

I had hoped that was just a side affect of Strong's relationship with his players, but I see not that it was about 90% of his relationship. I hope those that see this staff has their best interest at heart and will give them a chance.

Seems like we thought Strong was going to clean up the orange slice, cookie mentality.

Maybe Herman really will. It's truly needed.

This team needs a little tough love, something that will make them grow up. Maybe Herman can break them down and rebuild them into men. Strong seemed to fail this regard.

Shaka Smart has the same problem.
The buddy system isn't working in basketball either !

I don't know that you can get rid of the "entitlement" in big time college sports. I mean these kids are told they are great from 8th grade on and come in to college with as good of facilities as pros in some cases. I think you have to demand a standard though and be willing to bench/get rid of players that aren't meeting it. You see how quickly Malik got right after Strong benched him.

Reactions: cwillfromdatx
Herman is an awful choice. For the life of me, I don't know why everyone let themselves get bum-rushed by "the hottest coach in college football" hype. Houston didn't even win their weak division in their weak conference. Pat Forde put it perfectly in his column, "Winning when you shouldn’t is great. Losing when you shouldn’t is not. At Texas, Herman figures to have far fewer opportunities to shock the world as an underdog than to be shocked as a favorite." Texas will be lucky to go better than .500 over the next 3 seasons.

Herman is an awful choice. For the life of me, I don't know why everyone let themselves get bum-rushed by "the hottest coach in college football" hype. Houston didn't even win their weak division in their weak conference. Pat Forde put it perfectly in his column, "Winning when you shouldn’t is great. Losing when you shouldn’t is not. At Texas, Herman figures to have far fewer opportunities to shock the world as an underdog than to be shocked as a favorite." Texas will be lucky to go better than .500 over the next 3 seasons.

They played Navy's triple option running attack in a torrential downpour and Navy(8-2) may be the G5 team in a NYD bowl, SMU was a few days after the Big 12 announced it wasn't expanding when it was thought UH was Big 12 bound, and all the media talked about right before Memphis was Herman to LSU being a done deal.

How about Herman beat more then ranked top 10 teams in the last 12 months than Texas has in the last 8 seasons combined?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rotarran9116

I'll wait to see what he does before I open my mouth and shove a foot in it. I had my doubts due to the "hot coach" thing but I'm all about waiting to see what he does before I ASSume that he just plain sucks. I'm a big UT fan so I'm all for him succeeding and I just don't get why someone would want him to fail unless you're aggy or any other rival.

Reactions: acd12
I'm for ANYONE who gets this dumpster fire righted and us back at the top of the big 12 and the playoffs!!!

I'm for ANYONE who gets this dumpster fire righted and us back at the top of the big 12 and the playoffs!!!
This. Strong sure as crap wasn't getting the job done. His coaching hires and on field coaching were below average.

The Herman haters don't seem to understand he could have picked his job including LSU and probably Oregon. Not to mention the smaller schools that wanted him

Wasn't just hype. Schools don't hand out millions for mediocrity.

I, for one supports all everything UT. I'm not sold on Herman as well but I will back him up totally. The problem I see with being the coach is the coach/player relationship. From all the reports I've seen doesn't look like the kids are warming up to him and that's what I worried the most. I don't want to see a mass transferring of kids. I think with the Foreman electing to go pro kinda dictate what we seeing from the kids. There is too many good kids here to say, "Who cares if they transfer". I care and if we lose alot of kids, we will be heading way futher back than where we are now. I want to see Herman gaining the kids trust as well respect.
BTW, to those that are saying Strong was soft or wasn't tough on his players are crazy. It wasn't no entitlement going on. No SR entitlement. If you work your butt off, you play and If you dont, you don't play. PERIOD. We seen it in Holton Hill, Jefferson, Burt and a slew of others.

Something tells me you're not a season ticket holder, Mr. joined last month but go ahead and fire off a strongly worded letter to Belmont if it makes you feel happy.
If it happens Herman wouldn't be the first hot name to fail.

I, for one supports all everything UT. I'm not sold on Herman as well but I will back him up totally. The problem I see with being the coach is the coach/player relationship. From all the reports I've seen doesn't look like the kids are warming up to him and that's what I worried the most. I don't want to see a mass transferring of kids. I think with the Foreman electing to go pro kinda dictate what we seeing from the kids. There is too many good kids here to say, "Who cares if they transfer". I care and if we lose alot of kids, we will be heading way futher back than where we are now. I want to see Herman gaining the kids trust as well respect.
BTW, to those that are saying Strong was soft or wasn't tough on his players are crazy. It wasn't no entitlement going on. No SR entitlement. If you work your butt off, you play and If you dont, you don't play. PERIOD. We seen it in Holton Hill, Jefferson, Burt and a slew of others.

I don't see a lot of transfers happening. Will there be some yes but I don't think a lot. I also think the parents need to also help with these decisions and not just let their kids move on without seeing it through. But that's just me as a parent talking! We'll see what happens with this process.

Last edited:
Reactions: cwillfromdatx
Yep. Probably why the players always said how much they loved him. I'm sure Bama's players aren't saying how much they love saban. Obviously he's doing great job but he's all business not looking to be friends with players.

Reactions: swVAHorn
I don't get the transfer thing. If they transfer they are still going to have to play for a different coach with different rules anyway. If some transfer it will probably be more out of protest to UT for firing Strong than it is about Herman. He just needs to talk to them and make sure they understand they have a place here.

There will be transfers. Most probably won't happen until after the spring. Not sure if there are any possible grad transfers. That 2014 class was aweful thin. Then look to guys who didn't redshirt. Those guys can transfer and still get their 4 full years. Finally there are guys who are never going to see the field. Guys like that can transfer to FCS or D2 and play next year. I don't see more than a handful of guys leaveing and I doubt the ones that do leave will be a big loss.

He would not be the first hot name to succeed either....but you have a vendetta against anything not Charlie Strong related.

It is pretty obvious you are a fan of the University of Charlie Fightin Strong's and not The University of Texas.
Lying once again. I've been a fan of UT basically my entire life. The first gsme I remember getting excited about was the 1996 big 12 title game against Nebraska. James Brown at QB. Priest Holmes had a huge day. So shut up about me not being a fan

I was merely pointing out that "everyone wanted him" really isn't that great an argument. That's really my only problem with the Herman hire. You'll also notice, if maybe you didn't since it didn't fit your agenda that I said IF he failed. I ovbiously don't want that to happen.

Look here is the deal. Strong had a chance to save his job. The admin wanted to keep him and he couldn't get it done. There was no possible way he would be able to stay. There were going to be more jobs available than there were quality coaches out there. You saw the issues Strong had in 2014. Late hire and no Texas ties. A couple of kids who would have been junior starters bailed on the class and signed elsewhere. We needed a good coach fast with Texas ties to hit the ground running on recruiting. Herman was the best available choice this year. It remains to be seen if he is up to the task but right now there is nothing in his history that says he isn't.

Lying once again. I've been a fan of UT basically my entire life. The first gsme I remember getting excited about was the 1996 big 12 title game against Nebraska. James Brown at QB. Priest Holmes had a huge day. So shut up about me not being a fan

I was merely pointing out that "everyone wanted him" really isn't that great an argument. That's really my only problem with the Herman hire. You'll also notice, if maybe you didn't since it didn't fit your agenda that I said IF he failed. I ovbiously don't want that to happen.
I will say whatever I feel like saying. You always have a backhanded comment about Herman. We told you it was getting old. You are the liar. Your posts are all over this site.....you do realize that?

I don't know if Herman will win Championships but I will bet you 1000.00 right now (and we can do it through a service) that he has a better record than Charlie Strong...want to bet? If not....you shut up!

Last edited:
Reactions: dominy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT