ADVERTISEMENT

Unsportsmanlike Conduct Penalty for Showing "Horns Down"

If one of our players gives the double middle finger to your fans is that taunting? Same thing.

I think it's how it's done. If you just throw it up in the air, no big deal. If you do it in someone's face, then yeah, that's taunting.

Last edited:
Reactions: diadevic and westx
It's widely known that it's a sign of disrespect. It's also the least original dis in college football. If your bag of taunts is so limited that you resort to the horns down, well, you just aren't doing it right..... on any level.

Reactions: HornDrummer
It makes players and fans look like tools when they do the Horns down. Come up with something original on your own. A two-year old can do the Horns down. I'm glad that the WV player got flagged for doing what he did. Karma.

We're just getting everyone used to throwing the yellow hanky so the next time we play you Sooners, your whole team & fanbase will be DQ'd!

Forfeit due to lack of eligible players

Back in the early 90's the students were placed behind the opposing band at DKR for football games. The band would turn around and do the horns down to us and well that would not go over well and it was not smart. I remember all kinds of things being thrown on the opposing band AFTER the gestures were given. It ranged from stale bourbon and coke, to pocket change, to well anything taken into the game that would fit in one's pocket-boot.

It is one more thing to piss off all of the other fans so I am good with it :)

Actually, he understands. I would have loved to see the fans litter all kinds of crap onto those guys. In other stadiums it ranges from batteries to urine bombs. That will teach'em.

What does this have to do with his post?

Taunting is taunting. It is a penalty. Personally I don't care either way, but if it is deemed illegal then call it.

Reactions: Rusty Screwdriver
Note to self: talk with team before next trip to Austin about how Texas fans are pussies who get offended by a hand gesture.

G87LuO6XSRnuEV95xq0v-14ZxaU_DCqMbEtj14x_535SWQR0qu-EMq-zSbSoHNNnUG4ktTBtPRErVZfRr2gY1WTkWQ0ynEjQiDmEWDR5uSoTFiy79teYSHik8kuGLjTPkw

Reactions: Schoonerman
“We got some hand signs, too, that we can throw up,” Holgorsen said. “There's a hand signal that looks like the state of West Virginia that we could be flashing. We communicated with the refs (before the game) on whether that was going to be called. We did ask. I guess there was a miscommunication.”

Well Holgorsen why not have your QB throw that sign it makes more sense. So yeah "horns down" is taunting.

“We got some hand signs, too, that we can throw up,” Holgorsen said. “There's a hand signal that looks like the state of West Virginia that we could be flashing. We communicated with the refs (before the game) on whether that was going to be called. We did ask. I guess there was a miscommunication.”

giphy.gif

Hand signs...?? we're talkin about hand signs.......?? hand signs??

I realize that a&m's hand sign is the Horns down, lol. I don't think I've ever seen a Texas player or fan ever do their thumb upside down to mock a&m. I've also never seen a sawed off thumb sticker or shirt displayed by a Texas fan. It screams of obsessiveness, envy and jealousy when people do this. Be original. Do your own thing. Support your own school without denigrating another. I get it. Opposing fans are going to say, "but its a rivalry. Its just in fun, etc". But it also is a bad look character-wise when people do this.

Reactions: freeper and Scholz
I realize that a&m's hand sign is the Horns down, lol. I don't think I've ever seen a Texas player or fan ever do their thumb upside down to mock a&m. I've also never seen a sawed off thumb sticker or shirt displayed by a Texas fan. It screams of obsessiveness, envy and jealousy when people do this. Be original. Do your own thing. Support your own school without denigrating another. I get it. Opposing fans are going to say, "but its a rivalry. Its just in fun, etc". But it also is a bad look character-wise when people do this.

It is extremely weird when I see a sooner fan with an upside down Longhorn logo on their vehicle, or an aggie fan with sawed off horns on their car and no sign of an aggie sticker anywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: LonghornMM
Maybe I should have used the Allen Iverson font? Meant to diminish the silly conversation, and it IS silly.

Your "hook em" sign is your brand. Unlike most schools....it is out there front and center. No other school other than maybe that ridiculous TCU thing they do even HAS a hand sign that is recognizable. Yours is. And since you play the game, you have to expect your brand to take the arrows. It just so happens your world renown hand sign is one way that people do it and apparently it works.

And the fact that ESPN has to apologize that someone used it on the set..?? Come on man...

Reactions: CaptainZigZag
And the fact that ESPN has to apologize that someone used it on the set..?? Come on man...

Aggie what if an announcer (Mack Brown) got on tv and said A&M sucks....that gesture means the samething. You're telling me that Aggie's that are watching wouldn't get upset and start tweeting about it? GTFO here! You'd create a thread on this very page and start talking about it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT