ADVERTISEMENT

Unsportsmanlike Conduct Penalty for Showing "Horns Down"

Meant to diminish the silly conversation, and it IS silly.
Well thanks for that, aggy that absolutely nobody asked. Guess it being a topic of conversation from our game that we were talking about on our board isn't acceptable to you. Shucks.

Maybe I should have used the Allen Iverson font? Meant to diminish the silly conversation, and it IS silly.

Your "hook em" sign is your brand. Unlike most schools....it is out there front and center. No other school other than maybe that ridiculous TCU thing they do even HAS a hand sign that is recognizable. Yours is. And since you play the game, you have to expect your brand to take the arrows. It just so happens your world renown hand sign is one way that people do it and apparently it works.

And the fact that ESPN has to apologize that someone used it on the set..?? Come on man...

Other schools have hand signs: UH, a&m, TCU, Miami (The U), Texas Tech, Louisville, Washington are some that come to mind. I've never seen opposing teams players or fans mock their hand signs though. I suppose because Texas is Texas is why others do it...

It comes down to other teams taunting us in our own stadium. Once upon a time, this would have been met with "an unpleasantness" from our fan base. We need to return to that nastiness and punish anyone who does it after a score.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
Other schools have hand signs: UH, a&m, TCU, Miami (The U), Texas Tech, Louisville, Washington are some that come to mind. I've never seen opposing teams players or fans mock their hand signs though. I suppose because Texas is Texas is why others do it...
None of the hand signs for those schools are recognizable like yours. Not even close.

Like mama says....ignore them and they'll stop. ;)

Reactions: CaptainZigZag
It comes down to other teams taunting us in our own stadium. Once upon a time, this would have been met with "an unpleasantness" from our fan base. We need to return to that nastiness and punish anyone who does it after a score.

You're kidding right. Our fan base nearly had a fit because our coach was yelling at another coach. We have no aggressive fan base.

Reactions: weevilcatch
Well thanks for that, aggy that absolutely nobody asked. Guess it being a topic of conversation from our game that we were talking about on our board isn't acceptable to you. Shucks.
I was discussing an outsiders opinion on the topic at hand. Taunting is taunting, and is currently worth a penalty. But I don't think the horns down rises to the level of offense that some might give it. In an outsiders opinion.

I was discussing an outsiders opinion on the topic at hand. Taunting is taunting, and is currently worth a penalty. But I don't think the horns down rises to the level of offense that some might give it. In an outsiders opinion.

oldschool, honest question. What would be the fans reaction at Kyle Field if a Texas player scored and afterwards gave the double thumbs down to the a&m fans or bench? Would they just "ignore it, or laugh it off", or react differently than that?

oldschool, honest question. What would be the fans reaction at Kyle Field if a Texas player scored and afterwards gave the double thumbs down to the a&m fans or bench? Would they just "ignore it, or laugh it off", or react differently than that?
Well, we would be pissed they scored and if he did the thumbs down we would call him awful things and tell him to sit the F down. But I wouldn't think anyone needed an apology. It's a game....the taunts go both ways. IMO

Well, we would be pissed they scored and if he did the thumbs down we would call him awful things and tell him to sit the F down. But I wouldn't think anyone needed an apology. It's a game....the taunts go both ways. IMO

What apology are you referring too? The Jesse Palmer from years ago? No one is asking a player on the field for an apology. We just said it’s disrespectful.

Reactions: LonghornMM
I love the fact that when our players score they throw the Hook’Em up towards the fans. Taunting the opposing team :rolleyes:.

Sorry...don't think it is "disrespectful". It's just trash talk, and is mild compared to even as recent as the 80's and 90's. Do any of you remember the Miami Cotton Bowl? (apples/oranges I agree....but)

Who is asking for an apology?? The aggy toy soldiers would probably pull their swords on a player if he did the thumbs down, lol.

Sorry, not apology....just not worthy of offense IMO.

Drawing your sword on anyone at a football game deserves an apology. I will agree on that one.

We tend to go full Aggie sometimes.....more often than we like to admit. And our football team still sucks.

Speaking of taunting. I got my chance in Vegas at a bar I was watching the game at. OU fans sitting a few feet from me were having drinks and their friends were buying another round. Introduced themselves and figured I was a fan cause of my cheering. Told me their friends are from Oklahoma and they were OU fans. I mean it just came out...OU sux! Friends laughed at the bar not sure about the OUsux fans. Good time!

Drawing your sword on anyone at a football game deserves an apology. I will agree on that one.

We tend to go full Aggie sometimes.....more often than we like to admit. And our football team still sucks.

I think I speak for most Texas fans.... We are just tired of it. It's classless and unoriginal. At least back in the day fAggy made up some songs about us and didn't have to go horns down.

Reactions: LonghornMM
1531945869-NS_28TexasBowl36SP.jpg

Hypocritical

Reactions: Schoonerman
1531945869-NS_28TexasBowl36SP.jpg

Hypocritical

Nothing can ever top OU's coaches condoning their players physical assault on people by the lack of discipline that has always perpetuated within the Sooner football program. OU has always been a rule breaking, outlaw school with lax punishment for any kind of crime committed by its football players.

Reactions: tlra2 and Scholz
Umm... the ****** did it toward our bench first.

This Sooner is seriously the stone-cold dumbest occasional poster on this board. Yes, even dumber than incoherent, adult-diaper-soiling submoron Mister Moses. I thought MM had banned him before (his first post here included "Texass"), but it appears not.

This Sooner is seriously the stone-cold dumbest occasional poster on this board. Yes, even dumber than incoherent, adult-diaper-soiling submoron Mister Moses. I thought MM had banned him before (his first post here included "Texass"), but it appears not.

I did not see him post that. If I did, I would have banned him.

Well how very objective of you per usual. When a player from another team gives your fans the double middle finger in your stadium, come back and give a more honest opinion.

I'm not offended. Just speaking for myself, the question was asked what we thought of the unsportsmanlike call. I said that horns down is taunting, I mean how is it not? If it is a rule then it should be enforced.

Pretty freaking simple.

Reactions: Scholz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT