ADVERTISEMENT

W-L Predictions for Conference Play

We know now that our defense can shut down any offense in the country. So the question is...can our miserable offense find a way to score points against the remaining 5 defenses? And will our defense continue playing lights out despite little confidence our offense will help them out by scoring enough points to win games, now that we are 3-4.

Saturday Oct. 28 at Baylor Bears No longer a sleepwalk, but we have got to win this. Our defense should be able to shut them down.
WIN (4-4)

Saturday Nov. 4 at TCU Horned Frogs TCU easily looks like the best team in the league. They are playing scary, each and every week. Hopefully we can keep this game close like our other big games, but I don't think we have the offense to win in Ft Worth.
LOSE (4-5)

Saturday Nov. 11 Kansas Jayhawks Never take them for granted again. But should be easy.
WIN (5-5)

Saturday Nov. 18 at West Virginia Mountaineers WVU is a good team, but I don't think they're as good as OU or Oklahoma State. I personally don't think they are good enough to call this 'the moment' but we should be able to finally get an upset this week and get bowl eligible.
WIN (6-5)

Friday Nov. 24 Texas Tech Red Raiders We will need to score some points, but hopefully we've found some kind of offensive rhythm by the end of November. Our defense should be able to hold Tech under what they scored against Iowa State.
WIN (7-5)

big12-logo-70.png
Big 12 Championship Game
TCU versus one of the Oklahomas.

Bowl Game
Herman has plenty of time to prepare us for this and we walk away with a victory.
WIN (8-5)

Been going according to plan so far. I think Tech in Austin day after Thanksgiving will be a fun game but I give us 80% chance of winning that. But 6-6 going into a bowl game doesn't look very impressive. That's why, for me, this Saturday's game at WVU is the most important game of the second half of our season. No one really expected us to beat TCU, and everything else has played out as scripted. At this point, losing to Tech would be a disaster and simply can't happen. Splitting, with a loss at WVU, puts us right where our projections have us. If Herman wants to light a fire and instill some confidence, we have to find a way to upset the Mountaineers. They're a good team and it's a tough road game, and although not a top-15 upset, it would be an impressive win and gives the Horns the chance to end the season 8-5. This game has enormous potential to sway perceptions.

Been going according to plan so far. I think Tech in Austin day after Thanksgiving will be a fun game but I give us 80% chance of winning that. But 6-6 going into a bowl game doesn't look very impressive. That's why, for me, this Saturday's game at WVU is the most important game of the second half of our season. No one really expected us to beat TCU, and everything else has played out as scripted.

The Maryland game was a bad one. But yeah I was hoping for an 8-4 record with a win against OU or OK St. I'll really be happy now if we can win out and then win our bowl game. Go out on top and hopefully go into offseason with excitement for next year. Some of the fans need some hope because if not this board will be "we suck" post all off season and I don't think I can read through that until Sept.

Reactions: JHop6714
I think 8-5 if we can win this week would at least make everyone feel like we’re at least pointed in the right direction, and gives Herman some momentum headed in to the offseason. I’m sure Herman doesn’t want a 5-7, 6-6 type season with the heat getting hotter on Beck and he by proxy.

Where is flourBluff horn ? I’m interested in hearing his take on the state of the program.

FBH is probably trying to dig up DKR as we speak. Funny thing is, he thinks he has all of the answers on how to fix UT football, but I don't recall him saying who he would have hired to have replaced Mack or Strong. :rolleyes:

FBHorn: “I’ve seen a better team effort out of my dogsled team up here in Alaska than Herman can ever hope to get out of our so called 4 and 5 stars. Ya can’t put a star rating on toughness. Ya either got it er ya don’t”.

Tech will lose to TCU this weekend and we'll lose in burningcouchville and we'll both be 5-6 going into next Friday with a bowl game on the line for both teams. I'll be there. Should be another cardiac OT game.

Reactions: 4MNChampsHorn
Saban to Texas almost happened. Mack screwed that up (long story) and it unfortunately didn't come to fruition.

If Mack was in a position to screw up Saban to Texas then either our administration is completely inept and in no way capable of pulling it off, or it was all a figment of message board imagination.

If Mack was in a position to screw up Saban to Texas then either our administration is completely inept and in no way capable of pulling it off, or it was all a figment of message board imagination.

Mack was supposed to have stepped down and Saban was coming to Texas. Saban had already started putting together his staff. Mack then changed his mind and would not agree to step down and said that he wanted to continue to coach at Texas and the Saban deal fell apart.

Mack was supposed to have stepped down and Saban was coming to Texas. Saban had already started putting together his staff. Mack then changed his mind and would not agree to step down and said that he wanted to continue to coach at Texas and the Saban deal fell apart.

You forgot to start your tale with "Once upon a time". As if everything is so simple yet so complex, so what kept Saban from Texas was Mack refusing to quit, but he couldn't just be fired because he had too many friends, but not enough friends to prevent them from securing the greatest coach of all time.

Well it ended up exactly as it couldn't have. We upset WVU which was the game we didn't expect, but then we blew it all against Tech at home. Nothing could have been worse for the narrative that we needed time to develop players throughout the season. Beating Missouri erases the bad taste a little bit, but I can't shake that Tech game. There's simply no reason to have lost that game. It speaks to a big problem with the player mentality and the coaching, and it makes predicting this upcoming season very difficult.

Could be over analyzing it we knocked Will Grier out of the game early against WVU and two horrible turnovers in the fourth quarter caused us to blow a 10 point lead and game that should’ve been won vs Tech.

^^^
Four turnovers to TTech.
If the players can't be disciplined enough after beating WVU to beat a mediocre Tech team at home on senior night to finish with a winning record for the first in years, and if the coaches can't find a way to carry-over that momentum from the week before, then that's a problem greater than just "well, the ball bounced away four times and we lost. oops"

or

or

OR

just stay with me here... it could be that they were in year 1 of a new system. with a freshman qb. and a spit and bubble gum offensive line. and sometimes when those elements are in place, those games happen. just a theory

look, i get it. "7-6 ain't that much better!" but i know what i saw. games where we'd have quit and gotten blown out in the past, we played our tails off. year 1 of any regime, that's all you can ask. see: alabama, saban.

no, 7-6 mathematically isn't that much better. but freak brain farts had to happen for us to lose THREE of those-- sc, ok state, tech. those things even out over time.

just relax and let this year play out before going all grumpy gus

Reactions: outhereincali
or

or

OR

just stay with me here... it could be that they were in year 1 of a new system. with a freshman qb. and a spit and bubble gum offensive line. and sometimes when those elements are in place, those games happen. just a theory

look, i get it. "7-6 ain't that much better!" but i know what i saw. games where we'd have quit and gotten blown out in the past, we played our tails off. year 1 of any regime, that's all you can ask. see: alabama, saban.

no, 7-6 mathematically isn't that much better. but freak brain farts had to happen for us to lose THREE of those-- sc, ok state, tech. those things even out over time.

just relax and let this year play out before going all grumpy gus
I agree with you that there was significant improvement from the previous years, especially in terms of effort. We really hung in there in games, USC/KSt/IowaSt/OU/OkSt. They learned from the loss against Maryland and improved. The defense played lights out. The offense adapted as they went.

However, this coaching staff was supposed to be a lot smarter than the way Charlie coached. And you would have expected them to get into some rhythms by the final stretch of the season. But TCU wasn't anywhere as close as the games previous, WVU was a good win but aided by an injured QB, and Tech was a very poor showing. This doesn't show improvement as the season went on. There was questionable player rotations in offense, especially at RB and WR, and very questionable in-game decisions. Although the TCU loss hurts, I expected it...but the Tech loss to me is symptomatic of the same problem that rings throughout UT athletics lately: when we are down, we play lights out, and then we get our heads up high and we lay an egg. It happened over and over again this year in basketball, and it happened throughout Charlie's tenure in football. This was something Herman was apparently weeding out with his intense Spring in 2017, and I was on board with it, but then it collapsed during the Tech game.

I'm not saying the sky is falling and I'm not saying the coaches are bad. What I'm saying is that was a bad loss and it shouldn't have happened and I think black needs to be called black.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT