ADVERTISEMENT

Wanted: Placekicker

HornsRuleU

Dec 5, 2005
Texas
Ready to become a hero? You're the last, missing piece, possibly, and Longhorn Nation knows it. All we need are extra points and the occasional field goal, and we're golden! (Wearing the Golden Hat again, that is.) Come kick extra points and field goals for the Texas Longhorns, and the huge student body and wealth of alumni wearing burnt orange will love you, forever!

Responsibilities:
  • Kick extra points, without fail
  • Kick field goals
    • 0 - 30 yards, without fail
    • 30 - 40 yards, 80% or better
    • 40+ yards, 60% or better
  • Optional: kickoffs
Our ideal candidate is, or possesses:
  • Strong leg (right or left) and core
  • Flexibility, both physically and mentally
  • Observant of conditions
  • Attention to detail
  • Consistent
  • Logical troubleshooter
  • Positive attitude
  • Focused
  • Fearless
  • Able to perform under pressure
  • Independent loner who craves the spotlight
  • Hero complex
  • Clutch mindset
  • Killer instinct
Benefits:
  • Living in Austin, Texas
  • Full scholarship to The University of Texas at Austin
  • Access to some of the best facilities
  • UT-Austin education
  • Joining an exclusive fraternity, a storied history of great UT kickers
    • Justin Tucker
    • Phil Dawson
    • Hunter Lawrence
    • Kris Stockton
    • Jeff Ward
    • and so many others
If this describes you, contact Charlie Strong at...

That sentence doesn't exactly quiet my heart, much less fill it with joy.

For a kicker, I can handle "walk-on" but "a" (one) and "halfway decent" trouble me. Texas will lose close games unless this need is met.

Back in the day when he was winning NAIA national championships and being waaayyy ahead of his time as a college coach, Gil Steinke of Texas A&I used to get the best young soccer players in Mexico to try out as kickers. In those days almost nobody trusted the "sidewinder" kickers, preferring the straight on guys. A&I always had one of these guys kicking field goals consistantly from 40 yds or so.

The point of all this is why in hell cant we get some soccer guys to come in here and deliver?

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;Currently unknown walk-on&quot;... Not for long <a href="https://t.co/9Cu98TVKdJ">pic.twitter.com/9Cu98TVKdJ</a></p>&mdash; Chris Naggar (@chrisNAGGAR3) <a href="">June 19, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT