ADVERTISEMENT

Was I Wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its the stepdaughters house, rules.
Originally posted by Nac-horn:

Originally posted by dallashorn02:
To the OP, say this statement to yourself 10 times and tell us how you feel afterwards:

"I chose to spend Christimas with my dogs instead of my wife"

I'm not going to judge if you are "right" or "wrong". I don't know you nor understand the relationships amongst your family members. But you have to understand why many on this thread do feel your actions were not in the best interest of your family.

+1. Dogs are not humans, they are damn dogs.

Its the stepdaughters house, her rules. Dogs are not people and would be fine in a kennell

I had a somewhat similar situation on Dec 23

My Daughters, one from Chicago and one from Raleigh came in with their boyfriends.

My wifes father and his wife ( my wife's mon died 12 yrs ago)
were going to spen the nite and then drive to Houston on Dec 24. Also my w9fe's 23 yr old son wouyld be with us. My wife doesn't see her father that often, he lives in Tulsa.

So her dad gets here at about 5 pm , everyone is here, and I'm making beef stroganoff for a big sit down family dinner. Her father decides that he and his wife are going to take my wife and her son to dinner so they could"talk". Mind you we have a 7,500 square foot home with plenty of privacy if he wants to have a family talk ( and it tuirned out to be BS anyway)

I'm not sure what his agenda was but my poor wife was in the middle of this, so I told her to go with them and my Daughters and their guys and I all had a nice home cooked sit down dinner.

It pissed me off and it was damn rude. This chit happens during the Holidays's, but I didn't let it ruin our time together. It made me hate Gooners even more.

Originally posted by joeywa:
Originally posted by texas83:
Originally posted by Reverent Horn:
Originally posted by dabster:
Originally posted by horn59:
I have been married to my wife for 25 years. We both have children from previous marriages.My girls live close to us and her daughter lives in Midland.We have always alternated Christmas locations. This year it was our turn to visit at Midland.My step daughter-in law told her mother this year I could not bring our dogs, as she had just bought her children two new puppies.

My two dogs are the best,well mannered,house broken,and love children.They wouldn't harm a fly.Although my wife was also shocked,she didn't want to cause a stir and told me we would have to kennel our dogs this year.I said,bullshit,if my dogs aren't welcome there,then I'm not either. I love my dogs and it would kill them to be in a kennel (for 3 days)away from us.They've never been in a kennel before.I have friends here who would have taken care of them,but most have family coming in, and I didn't want to impose on them.

Actually, my wife was very understanding with my refusal to go,and she said she would just go alone. I know she wanted to be with me as this is the first Christmas we would not be together.

My children will drop by for a brief visit with me,before going to their mothers for dinner. My sister lives close and I am going there for dinner today.

I know some of you will disagree with me,but I'm old and stubborn. I just couldn't do it.

You do know that dog spelled backward is god, and this is not just a happen-in-stance. If your dogs were not welcomed, you were not welcomed, and being with your dogs is more important than being with your your human connections. Dogs are special. Trust me on this. They are, as long as you treat them kindly, and as a special one of God's creations.

Man, I hope this is a bit of sarcasm, but I'm not sure. If not, maybe the dumbest thing I've ever read anywhere. A dog is an animal who lives in the moment. Miss feeding him a day, and he is off to the next owner who will feed him. You would be out of its mind in no time flat.

What a sad misstatement of reality. You either must never have had a dog as a friend or pet, or you're the hillbilly type who drives around with them in the bed of your truck, risking their lives.

I've never had a dog in my 50+ years who behaved like that. All you have to do is befriend them and they love you unconditionally for life.

I guess now I know where all the dogs I've had to rescue from Texas roadsides came from now. Always still sitting there, loyal, waiting for the scum bag who abandoned them to come back for them.
You couldn't have missed the mark on Rev any more if you had tried, 83.

Perhaps on the caricature, but not the attitude. Okay, so you know him personally. Yet the attitude speaks for itself. He missed the mark so far on dogs it's hard to fathom where such ideas arose in him.

Maybe if you'd rescued as many dogs from Texas roadsides over your life time as I have Joey, discarded like trash by people with that type of attitude, you'd see it differently. At least it's a rarity here in Washington.

It's one of the few things I'll dread next week when I leave Winthrop/Twisp for Texas for the season, seeing the wretched situation of dogs discarded and dead on the roads. As soon as I cross the border at Texline it starts. And that kind of attitude is a primary reason for it.

Originally posted by 121347:
AB...that certainly is your right. Just sayin, you're getting a little stale. Oh hell, maybe you're just trying to get your post count up.
Don't read my post. It's a really simple solution for you... unless you're trying to get yours up also?

83, read Rev's response to you above. If, after reading that, you still disagree with me, then we'll have to leave it at that. I'd trust Rev with not only my dogs, but my entire family, every day and twice on Sunday.

ab....no, I'm not trying to get mine up "also". So, now that we've determined your agenda. Take a break. You can't get to a 5000 in one evening.

It's creepy that a grown person would have that kind of an attachment to an animal. Your going to miss out on celebrating Christmas with you family for some dogs that will be dead in a couple of years. Family and I mean your human family comes first. You don't know how many of those you will get. You can alway get another dog.

ab....no, I'm not trying to get mine up "also". So, now that we've determined your agenda. Take a break. You can't get to a 5000 in one evening.
Silly kid, the fact that you even brought it up is more telling than anything I can do or say. I don't pay attention to post counts on any board that I post on. Means absolutely nothing to me. High post counts simply means you don't have much of a life outside of that board IMO. What's your count by the way?

By the way, i'm at home for the evening, eating popcorn, watching the Cowboys and skimming the baord.... If you're bored and need someone to play catch with you we can do this all night..... or you can use what little brain you have and simply not read my posts.
This post was edited on 12/25 9:31 PM by AlphaBruh

I have been married to my wife for 25 years. We both have children from previous marriages.My girls live close to us and her daughter lives in Midland.We have always alternated Christmas locations. This year it was our turn to visit at Midland.My step daughter-in law told her mother this year I could not bring our dogs, as she had just bought her children two new puppies.

My two dogs are the best,well mannered,house broken,and love children.They wouldn't harm a fly.Although my wife was also shocked,she didn't want to cause a stir and told me we would have to kennel our dogs this year.I said,bullshit,if my dogs aren't welcome there,then I'm not either. I love my dogs and it would kill them to be in a kennel (for 3 days)away from us.They've never been in a kennel before.I have friends here who would have taken care of them,but most have family coming in, and I didn't want to impose on them.

Actually, my wife was very understanding with my refusal to go,and she said she would just go alone. I know she wanted to be with me as this is the first Christmas we would not be together.

My children will drop by for a brief visit with me,before going to their mothers for dinner. My sister lives close and I am going there for dinner today.

I know some of you will disagree with me,but I'm old and stubborn. I just couldn't do it.

You do know that dog spelled backward is god, and this is not just a happen-in-stance. If your dogs were not welcomed, you were not welcomed, and being with your dogs is more important than being with your your human connections. Dogs are special. Trust me on this. They are, as long as you treat them kindly, and as a special one of God's creations.

Man, I hope this is a bit of sarcasm, but I'm not sure. If not, maybe the dumbest thing I've ever read anywhere. A dog is an animal who lives in the moment. Miss feeding him a day, and he is off to the next owner who will feed him. You would be out of its mind in no time flat.

What a sad misstatement of reality. You either must never have had a dog as a friend or pet, or you're the hillbilly type who drives around with them in the bed of your truck, risking their lives.

I've never had a dog in my 50+ years who behaved like that. All you have to do is befriend them and they love you unconditionally for life.

I guess now I know where all the dogs I've had to rescue from Texas roadsides came from now. Always still sitting there, loyal, waiting for the scum bag who abandoned them to come back for them.

Just like Joeywa to stand up for a friend.

83, I've got 3 dogs now and have had competitive hunting dogs for my 50 years. The dogs you've had to rescue are most likely those that ran off from their owners as I said in my previous post. Most responsible dog owners do not dump dogs they love off on the road. No doubt it occasionally happens, but it is the exception, not the rule. I love my dogs, but your attempt to humanize them falls well short of the mark and borders on the ridiculous.
This post was edited on 12/25 9:14 PM by Reverent Horn

It sounds like you're associating with your dogs in a different way -- tools for hunting, for example, instead of living inside with you, sleeping in the bed, basically like family -- so you see them from a viewpoint that is too detached to understand what they could have been for you, as opposed to what you make of them.

I've seen it with my own eyes, this human-like behavior. Studies confirm it. You're still looking at dogs from an old-fashioned viewpoint that keeps them at arms length and affirms your rule over them as tools. I've got a friend just like you. I've known him for 38 years. His dogs are kept outside, never allowed on a couch or a bed, and so they behave as he raised them. Mine are completely different in their mannerisms and their emotions, because I treat them as family members. It doesn't mean he's a bad guy, he just doesn't know any better.

And tell me, why are dogs not splattered all over the road here like they are in Texas? Are dogs here so different that they don't "run off?" Or could it be the more obvious answer that they are valued more by better and more responsible pet owners?

There's a reason why these weren't called "strays" when I was growing up. They were called "put outs," because that is what happened to them.

Horn59, just wondering what you think regarding all the responses you've gotten to your post? Have they changed/reaffirmed your ideas or is it just interesting reading?

83, I've got 3 dogs now and have had competitive hunting dogs for my 50 years. The dogs you've had to rescue are most likely those that ran off from their owners as I said in my previous post. Most responsible dog owners do not dump dogs they love off on the road. No doubt it occasionally happens, but it is the exception, not the rule. I love my dogs, but your attempt to humanize them falls well short of the mark and borders on the ridiculous.

It sounds like you're associating with your dogs in a different way -- tools for hunting, for example, instead of living inside with you, sleeping in the bed, basically like family -- so you see them from a viewpoint that is too detached to understand what they could have been for you, as opposed to what you make of them.

I've seen it with my own eyes, this human-like behavior. Studies confirm it. You're still looking at dogs from an old-fashioned viewpoint that keeps them at arms length and affirms your rule over them as tools. I've got a friend just like you. I've known him for 38 years. His dogs are kept outside, never allowed on a couch or a bed, and so they behave as he raised them. Mine are completely different in their mannerisms and their emotions, because I treat them as family members. It doesn't mean he's a bad guy, he just doesn't know any better.

And tell me, why are dogs not splattered all over the road here like they are in Texas? Are dogs here so different that they don't "run off?" Or could it be the more obvious answer that they are valued more by better and more responsible pet owners?

There's a reason why these weren't called "strays" when I was growing up. They were called "put outs," because that is what happened to them.

Just asksing 83, but do your dogs get to lick you in the mouth and take baths with you? Just curious because i've seen it from those who think of their dogs in a similar manner as you do.

ab....if you haven't figured it out yet the number of post is listed beneath your shield. Hurry and check it out before your mom tells you turn your toy off so she can read you your bed time story. Oh, and by the way....Santa Claus isn't real.

ab....if you haven't figured it out yet the number of post is listed beneath your shield. Hurry and check it out before your mom tells you turn your toy off so she can read you your bed time story. Oh, and by the way....Santa Claus isn't real.
LOL!!! Just as I thought!

Originally posted by AlphaBruh:

Just asksing 83, but do your dogs get to lick you in the mouth and take baths with you? Just curious because i've seen it from those who think of their dogs in a similar manner as you do.

No, just as people who are not my wife do not lick me in the mouth or take baths with me.

I own 4 dogs and love them like crazy. "My" 2 (the ones I raised from puppies) are named "Sir Charles" and "Miss Precious". look at my fanpage if you want to see the amount of love these dogs get. They eat a bone and raw food diet along with holistic dry food and both have had their canine good citizen training. You might say I am a creepy, over-the-top-dog owner. I feel I have a connection with my dogs that no one else can understand. I truly do, and I value it.

But you and the OP are batshit crazy. Dogs are not people. Nowhere close...no where close.

Horn59, just wondering what you think regarding all the responses you've gotten to your post? Have they changed/reaffirmed your ideas or is it just interesting reading?
Wondering the same. The OP was 656am, so I'm betting mid-morning the wife called him up and said 'you made your point, now board the dogs, get in the f'ing car and get your ass to Midland."

Originally posted by streettopeschel:
Wondering the same. The OP was 656am, so I'm betting mid-morning the wife called him up and said 'you made your point, now board the dogs, get in the f'ing car and get your ass to Midland."

Exactly, I'm thinking the only reason he hasn't chimed in is the daughter in law in Midland doesn't have wifi in her house.

Originally posted by aldelgreco:

I own 4 dogs and love them like crazy. "My" 2 (the ones I raised from puppies) are named "Sir Charles" and "Miss Precious". look at my fanpage if you want to see the amount of love these dogs get. They eat a bone and raw food diet along with holistic dry food and both have had their canine good citizen training. You might say I am a creepy, over-the-top-dog owner. I feel I have a connection with my dogs that no one else can understand. I truly do, and I value it.

But you and the OP are batshit crazy. Dogs are not people. Nowhere close...no where close.

I never said dogs are people. But they have "personalities" such that they could be loosely described as "persons" by those who count them among their best friends.

I've seen your posts on dogs, delgreco. I actually respect you on this issue.

Based on what you wrote above you and I are closer on this issue than you think. We're just describing it in different ways using words that have differing meanings to each of us but end up in the same place I think.

Or perhaps I have overestimated you. I'm not sure.

Originally posted by streettopeschel:

6:56 a.m. is too early for me. I would regret anything I wrote at such an hour.

Fortunately, I only post between 2:00 p.m. and 2:00 a.m., with my dog Dixie lying beside me.
smilie2.gif

You chose your dog over your wife. She may say that she is fine with it....but women often say they are fine with something & then that is not really the case.

Dogs live in the moment. They might not like the kennel or being apart, but as soon as you return, all it will know is that it's glad you're back.

A pet friendly hotel would have been an awesome option.

You were wrong on this deal.

Hook 'em

The only wrong thing in this thread is those judging the (OP) for your decision. You have to go with what you feel is right.

If you believe this was the right thing to do than I am sure it was. I have to say that I would have done the same thing had I been in your shoes. People that say that dogs are not human are correct but they are also part of the family. If someone does not understand that then too bad.

Humans are intelligent, understanding and competent in most cases. Dogs on the other hand are limited in capacity and know or understand very little. Many dogs suffer from separation anxiety which can be very traumatic. Three days could possibly feel like a lifetime for them.

The members of your family should understand your position on this and respect it regardless. The fact that they are dropping by to see you goes to show that they care and are likely not all that upset about it.

Kudos to you for caring for your pets as you would a family member. Everyone in my family and my wife's family own a dog or multiple dogs and we have no issues bringing them to each others homes whether in state our out of state.

Anyway, I hope you had a Merry Christmas. My family (including the five combined dogs) had an amazing day.

Originally posted by AlphaBruh:
It depends on the dog and nobody knows your own dogs better than you. I've got some that I wouldn't hesitate to kennel. But I've also got a couple or three that I made the boarding mistake with before, and I would never do it again.

They wouldn't sleep, they wouldn't eat, and when we returned to pick them up one of them literally wouldn't quit screaming. I don't mean a high pitched bark either. I mean screaming. Then she crawled into my wife's lap in the front seat of the car and wouldn't move, sleeping there for hours. They have had separation anxiety ever since.

Dogs have feelings and emotions just like humans. No they are not people, but the ones you make into family the most are in a way "persons." They love unconditionally and experience deep emotions and mood swings.

You absolutely did nothing wrong at all. Don't spend another moment second guessing yourself.

Yeah he did the right thing... the dogs have feelings and emotions, blah blah blah... obviously his wife and kids do not. The wife and kids are just dumb animals who chew up his furniture, slobber over everything, practice for weeks to do a simple trick that awards them a freaking dry stale busuit and occasionally eat cat and their own shit! You know, kinda like dogs? I mean you're right. The dogs feelings and emotions matter more than wife and kids. Who needs wife to sleep with and bare children and confort you in times of sorrow? Who the hell needs kids to bring them the joy of playing catch with in the front yard or to bring a tear to your eye as you watch her first dance recital? Man who needs them when you have your dogs to, to..... uhhhh, to pat on the head and clean up after and walk around the neighborhood? I totally get where you're coming from. Man it aint even close! I think i'll kick my wife and kids out and go get a couple more dogs to take their places.

That was a psycho knee-jerk reaction. Sounds like you have some serious issues you need to come to terms with...

Horn59: I hope you wised up and made the trip today. I would hate to think you spent your first Chrismas away from your wife of 25 years over some dogs. I love my pets, would do anything for them. But your wife should be your priority.

I'm thinking some of you "dog pilers" need to go back and read the original post. The "kids" are grown, and the wife is ok with it. They aren't newly weds or unweds like a lot of you. Just agree or disagree, don't hammer the man. How bout them Cowboys?

1. Pics of OP's wife or GTFO.

2. Pics of S-D-I-L or GTFO.

3. 3 of my 4 dogs lick me on the mouth.

4. One of them tries to lick me in my bad place while I'm trying to do bad things.

5. I'm wondering if the OP would turn down free tix to the mNC game (when we're in it) if he couldn't bring his dogs.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Originally posted by Horns0517:
The only wrong thing in this thread is those judging the (OP) for your decision. You have to go with what you feel is right.

If you believe this was the right thing to do than I am sure it was. I have to say that I would have done the same thing had I been in your shoes. People that say that dogs are not human are correct but they are also part of the family. If someone does not understand that then too bad.

Humans are intelligent, understanding and competent in most cases. Dogs on the other hand are limited in capacity and know or understand very little. Many dogs suffer from separation anxiety which can be very traumatic. Three days could possibly feel like a lifetime for them.

The members of your family should understand your position on this and respect it regardless. The fact that they are dropping by to see you goes to show that they care and are likely not all that upset about it.

Kudos to you for caring for your pets as you would a family member. Everyone in my family and my wife's family own a dog or multiple dogs and we have no issues bringing them to each others homes whether in state our out of state.

Anyway, I hope you had a Merry Christmas. My family (including the five combined dogs) had an amazing day.

Very well stated. I agree 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT