ADVERTISEMENT

Week 1 predictions

Back foot.
It's a common theme you hear in sports today.
Back foot.
It's something that is usually perceived as a negative. And for the most part, it's true.
Back foot.
It's where Texas has been as a program for the least decade and a half. Everything involving Texas football could be summed up with just 2 four letter words--- Back Foot

But every once in a while, every blue harvest moon or so- someone is able to exceed the expectations of being Back Foot. Something happens that's so spectacular, it can't be looked away from....and it came off the back foot.

I think this Texas team is prepared for a Back foot season.

Some of history's most epic battles have been fought and won on the back foot.
The Battle of Harran, Hastings, Lechfeld-- even going back to Thermopylae-- men have feigned defeat, ran away- and made the enemy give chase-- only to wheel around and slaughter their foes at the last second.
This is where we are. It's taken the better part of 2 decades to get here. We aren't where we need to be-- but for the first time in recent memory, Texas is fielding a dangerous team.

Back foot. That should be Quinn Ewers freshman nickname. He completed more back foot passes than any QB I've seen. And some of them were amazing. Truly. How many times do you get to see an arm so special, so talented, that can throw with such velocity off his back foot. It's truly extra-ordinary what he can do. The kid has a gift.
Can you imagine how much BETTER he would be if he WASN'T throwing off his back foot?
To change that, he's going to have to have protection. Imagine 40 times a game having to be on your back foot in order to do your job. Welcome to the offensive line at the University of Texas. Pass blocking is predicated on two things:

1. Punching your opponent with your upper body strength.
2. Being able to balance that strength with your back foot as your base.

The play of our offensive line has at times been downright offensive. I used to crack wise about our defenciencies because it didn't matter. Truly. There were years we were so weak in the offensive backfield that it wouldn't have mattered if we had the 94 Cowboys line-- we were toast.
David Ash. Case McCoy. Tyrone Swoops. Jerrod Heard. This isn't the 1927 Yankees.

So fodder being tossed at the Oline was simply that...... fodder. For they were fodder for defenses.
Quick- in the last 15 years, how many offensive lineman have been drafted out of UT?

Give up?
2. That's it. 2. Cosmi and Williams. Both 2nd rounders.
In 2016 and 2017 we had only 1 player drafted from the entire team.
In 2014- we missed the draft altogether.
So like I said, it was easy to make fun of the offensive line not being able to block-- but who would have benefited if they could?

Things have changed now. We have a QB with a golden arm. We have a freshman running back that (if he stays upright) could go for 1000 yards. Yes, 4 is really that good.
We've got 2 WRs that can be game changers. We just need that 3rd guy to show up. We HAVE to have a 3rd threat.
If this offense (that isn't very deep) can stay healthy, (and that is a man sized IF) we have a shot at............ well, let's get to the defense first.

Back foot.
Our defense has played on its back foot for 15 years. Last year was a paradox where we finished ranked #54 in total defense.

2009 12
2010 50
2011 34
2012 74
2013 56
2014 31
2015 87
2016 91
2017 30
2018 58
2019 65
2020 61
2021 99
2022 54
Anybody see a pattern here? If you don't have a top 20 defense- you can't win consistently. It's not fvcking rocket surgery.
The last time Texas had a top 20 defense they ran the table and damn near beat Alabama with a half a fvcking re-tard freshman QB at the helm for 3 and a half quarters.
We had 27 sacks last year. We need 35 this year. MINIMUM.
We had 89 TFL last year. We need 110 this year.
I don't see our Dline being our strength but someone is going to have to step up. Somebody is going to have to pin their fvcking ears back and get up the field like a gorilla with his ass on fire. Penetration into he back field creates chaos. Our Dline needs to be the harbingers of chaos.
Ford is going to have to play at Derrick Johnson levels all year.
Ya, I said it. He's going to have to eat concertina wire and piss napalm. Malik "looked" like an all pro linebacker but rarely played like one. Ford looks like Tarzan but needs to play like Tarzan. Every down. He's the heartbeat.
Our secondary-- jeez. We really thinking about putting a true freshman out there? Oh he's good. But he's going to be toast at some point. Burnt toast. I played with one of the best college corners ever to wear orange and white- and he could cover anything on two legs. But he had an advantage over the game that the kids don't have now- he made his quarter of the field off limits because he would knock you THE fvck out if you tried him. That portion of the game is all but gone. This makes intimidation a non factor. Our freshman can't Ding Dong a muh fvcker to send a message-- and because of that, he's going to get picked on. Early. Often. He withstands the assault that Saban is going to bring down on him-- and we might have a shot.
A shot at what, Clob? Why you playing with us?

Because we've got a problem at kicker. He's going to struggle. So don't count on any 50 yarders for the first half of the season.
This could mean the difference between beating Bama, and not. Wouldn't it be fitting, though ironical, if Texas went into the lion's den and laid seige to the team that jumpstarted their decade and a half of dominance, by sending Texas to the scrap heap of college football in 2009?
Sweet, sweet irony.
Well boys and girls, this hour of story time is drawing nigh.
Every great team needs a break or two. The difference between REALLY good teams and great ones are usually those breaks. Problem is, it's really tough to predict those breaks. When they'll happen. What they'll be.
We have the makings of a very good, though not DEEP, football team. And this is virgin territory for Clob. It's REALLY easy to spot stink. It's REALLY easy to spot greatness.
But it's REALLY fvcking hard to see the cusps of those parameters. Why? Breaks.

On paper, this is a 10-2 football team. A really good football team that lacks depth. Some serious talent in the starting rotation and some serious question marks in the support staff.
Barring injury, we will play for the Big 12 title. Probably against Kstate. Barring injury, we will win the Big 12 title. Thus putting us in place for a playoff bid.
But something magical could happen. A team that has spent 15 years playing on their back foot may finally learn to lean into their season. They may finally understand what it means to be on their front foot. They may feign retreat only to wheel around, close ranks, and drag the armored men off their horses to slaughter--- much like in 1222.

800 years ago, the kingdom of Georgia was at its peak of power. It was ruled by a man named Giorgi IV Lasha. He was a brute who outfitted his men with armor from head to toe. He even had armor built for the horses. When the "Invincible Knights" as they were called, would close the slat on their face armor, they could not be harmed by sword, spear or arrow.
Giorgi wanted complete control of the region so he took on an army under the control of a guy you may have heard of--
Genghis Kahn.
So Giorgi and his Invincible knights charge the opposing army whose only weapons were long bows. He knew their army could not stand up to his fully armored calvalry. The Mongol Vangaurd under the commonad of a guy named Subedei, turned and ran. They wore little to no armor, so they moved faster than these heavily armored knights. After taking a back foot approach and fleeing, the Georgian horses giving chase quickly started running out juice. Once this happened, Subedei and his men wheeled around to begin their counter assault. Front foot.
At the same moment, the rest of the army that had been lying in wait, sprung from the tree line and attacked the flanks of the Georgians. The Georgians are being attacked from 2 sides.
But the Georgians still had their mounts and were still armored-- but the Mongols had a secret weapon--- spears with hooks. The father of the Halberd. With these long poles they hooked the knights by the armor and dragged their asses off their horses. Now the Georgians were well and truly, fvcked. Their armor weighed as much as they did so there was no getting back up in the saddle.
Then the Mongols did what Mongols do. The battle was over, and Georgia was crushed.
Wouldn't it be fvcking sweet irony if 800 years later Texas welcomed Georgia to the SEC by yanking them off their high horse and splitting their heads wide open with an axe?
I think that would be pretty cool.
If we beat Bama, we will get our shot.

Clob out.
Thattababy!!!

My spirit has been renewed! I’m with Robo on this one. I’ll have burnt orange Kool Aid in hand but not sipping a damn thing just yet. I’m guessing after the Baylor game is when I’ll know if I’m partaking of this fall season libation or not.

I’d be remiss if I didn’t thank Clob for his time and effort, year after year, for his fall season report. Thanks brother 🤘🏼

Back foot.
Back foot.
It's something that is usually perceived as a negative. And for the most part, it's true.
Back foot.
It's where Texas has been as a program for the least decade and a half. Everything involving Texas football could be summed up with just 2 four letter words--- Back Foot

But every once in a while, every blue harvest moon or so- someone is able to exceed the expectations of being Back Foot. Something happens that's so spectacular, it can't be looked away from....and it came off the back foot.

The Battle of Harran, Hastings, Lechfeld-- even going back to Thermopylae-- men have feigned defeat, ran away- and made the enemy give chase-- only to wheel around and slaughter their foes at the last second.
This is where we are. It's taken the better part of 2 decades to get here. We aren't where we need to be-- but for the first time in recent memory, Texas is fielding a dangerous team.

Back foot. That should be Quinn Ewers freshman nickname. He completed more back foot passes than any QB I've seen. And some of them were amazing. Truly. How many times do you get to see an arm so special, so talented, that can throw with such velocity off his back foot. It's truly extra-ordinary what he can do. The kid has a gift.
Can you imagine how much BETTER he would be if he WASN'T throwing off his back foot?
To change that, he's going to have to have protection. Imagine 40 times a game having to be on your back foot in order to do your job. Welcome to the offensive line at the University of Texas. Pass blocking is predicated on two things:

The play of our offensive line has at times been downright offensive. I used to crack wise about our defenciencies because it didn't matter. Truly. There were years we were so weak in the offensive backfield that it wouldn't have mattered if we had the 94 Cowboys line-- we were toast.
David Ash. Case McCoy. Tyrone Swoops. Jerrod Heard. This isn't the 1927 Yankees.

So fodder being tossed at the Oline was simply that...... fodder. For they were fodder for defenses.
Quick- in the last 15 years, how many offensive lineman have been drafted out of UT?

Give up?
So like I said, it was easy to make fun of the offensive line not being able to block-- but who would have benefited if they could?

Things have changed now. We have a QB with a golden arm. We have a freshman running back that (if he stays upright) could go for 1000 yards. Yes, 4 is really that good.
We've got 2 WRs that can be game changers. We just need that 3rd guy to show up. We HAVE to have a 3rd threat.
If this offense (that isn't very deep) can stay healthy, (and that is a man sized IF) we have a shot at............ well, let's get to the defense first.

Back foot.
Our defense has played on its back foot for 15 years. Last year was a paradox where we finished ranked #54 in total defense.

2009 12
2010 50
2011 34
2012 74
2013 56
2014 31
2015 87
2016 91
2017 30
2018 58
2019 65
2020 61
2021 99
2022 54
Anybody see a pattern here? If you don't have a top 20 defense- you can't win consistently. It's not fvcking rocket surgery.
The last time Texas had a top 20 defense they ran the table and damn near beat Alabama with a half a fvcking re-tard freshman QB at the helm for 3 and a half quarters.
I don't see our Dline being our strength but someone is going to have to step up. Somebody is going to have to pin their fvcking ears back and get up the field like a gorilla with his ass on fire. Penetration into he back field creates chaos. Our Dline needs to be the harbingers of chaos.
Ya, I said it. He's going to have to eat concertina wire and piss napalm. Malik "looked" like an all pro linebacker but rarely played like one. Ford looks like Tarzan but needs to play like Tarzan. Every down. He's the heartbeat.
Our secondary-- jeez. We really thinking about putting a true freshman out there? Oh he's good. But he's going to be toast at some point. Burnt toast. I played with one of the best college corners ever to wear orange and white- and he could cover anything on two legs. But he had an advantage over the game that the kids don't have now- he made his quarter of the field off limits because he would knock you THE fvck out if you tried him. That portion of the game is all but gone. This makes intimidation a non factor. Our freshman can't Ding Dong a muh fvcker to send a message-- and because of that, he's going to get picked on. Early. Often. He withstands the assault that Saban is going to bring down on him-- and we might have a shot.

Because we've got a problem at kicker. He's going to struggle. So don't count on any 50 yarders for the first half of the season.
This could mean the difference between beating Bama, and not. Wouldn't it be fitting, though ironical, if Texas went into the lion's den and laid seige to the team that jumpstarted their decade and a half of dominance, by sending Texas to the scrap heap of college football in 2009?
Sweet, sweet irony.
Every great team needs a break or two. The difference between REALLY good teams and great ones are usually those breaks. Problem is, it's really tough to predict those breaks. When they'll happen. What they'll be.
We have the makings of a very good, though not DEEP, football team. And this is virgin territory for Clob. It's REALLY easy to spot stink. It's REALLY easy to spot greatness.

On paper, this is a 10-2 football team. A really good football team that lacks depth. Some serious talent in the starting rotation and some serious question marks in the support staff.
Barring injury, we will play for the Big 12 title. Probably against Kstate. Barring injury, we will win the Big 12 title. Thus putting us in place for a playoff bid.
But something magical could happen. A team that has spent 15 years playing on their back foot may finally learn to lean into their season. They may finally understand what it means to be on their front foot. They may feign retreat only to wheel around, close ranks, and drag the armored men off their horses to slaughter--- much like in 1222.

800 years ago, the kingdom of Georgia was at its peak of power. It was ruled by a man named Giorgi IV Lasha. He was a brute who outfitted his men with armor from head to toe. He even had armor built for the horses. When the "Invincible Knights" as they were called, would close the slat on their face armor, they could not be harmed by sword, spear or arrow.
Giorgi wanted complete control of the region so he took on an army under the control of a guy you may have heard of--
Genghis Kahn.
So Giorgi and his Invincible knights charge the opposing army whose only weapons were long bows. He knew their army could not stand up to his fully armored calvalry. The Mongol Vangaurd under the commonad of a guy named Subedei, turned and ran. They wore little to no armor, so they moved faster than these heavily armored knights. After taking a back foot approach and fleeing, the Georgian horses giving chase quickly started running out juice. Once this happened, Subedei and his men wheeled around to begin their counter assault. Front foot.
At the same moment, the rest of the army that had been lying in wait, sprung from the tree line and attacked the flanks of the Georgians. The Georgians are being attacked from 2 sides.
But the Georgians still had their mounts and were still armored-- but the Mongols had a secret weapon--- spears with hooks. The father of the Halberd. With these long poles they hooked the knights by the armor and dragged their asses off their horses. Now the Georgians were well and truly, fvcked. Their armor weighed as much as they did so there was no getting back up in the saddle.
Then the Mongols did what Mongols do. The battle was over, and Georgia was crushed.
Wouldn't it be fvcking sweet irony if 800 years later Texas welcomed Georgia to the SEC by yanking them off their high horse and splitting their heads wide open with an axe?

Clob out.
That was OUTSTANDING Clob...thank you for the effort and the history lesson on and off the football field. As for Back Foot....the best back foot QB I ever saw was a guy from Mississippi called Bret Favre....the man could throw a dart from his backfoot 75 yards....incredible.

Reactions: clob94
Back foot.
Back foot.
Back foot.

Give up?

Back foot.

2009 12
2010 50
2011 34
2012 74
2013 56
2014 31
2015 87
2016 91
2017 30
2018 58
2019 65
2020 61
2021 99
2022 54

Sweet, sweet irony.

Genghis Kahn.

Clob out.
I like using scoring defense versus yardage though and last year we were 28th. I think barring injuries that we have a chance to have a defense in the top 20 this year. There's some dudes at all 3 levels of that defense that are going to be playing on Sunday's.

Back foot.
Back foot.
Back foot.

Give up?

Back foot.

2009 12
2010 50
2011 34
2012 74
2013 56
2014 31
2015 87
2016 91
2017 30
2018 58
2019 65
2020 61
2021 99
2022 54

Sweet, sweet irony.

Genghis Kahn.

Clob out.
Well done Senor Clob…Well done.

Reactions: clob94
Back foot.
Back foot.
Back foot.

Give up?

Back foot.

2009 12
2010 50
2011 34
2012 74
2013 56
2014 31
2015 87
2016 91
2017 30
2018 58
2019 65
2020 61
2021 99
2022 54

Sweet, sweet irony.

Genghis Kahn.

Clob out.
@clob94 thank you. That was brilliant. I'm sitting in my office at the college surrounded by history books and none of them are as entertaining and accurate as your prose. You missed your calling my friend. As I read your report, I could see the battle unfold and feel the sudden knowing terror that must've gripped the Georgians as they realized they had fornicated upwards. I just sat back to appreciate the picture you'd painted and in my mind I could see the charge of the French cavalry at Crecy, and the subsequent slaughter of the French nobility by English infantry on that field. Loved every word of your post, hell, I'd read the phone book if you wrote the damned thing.

An extra ration of falernian for @clob94.....chop chop...!!

@clob94 thank you. That was brilliant. I'm sitting in my office at the college surrounded by history books and none of them are as entertaining and accurate as your prose. You missed your calling my friend. As I read your report, I could see the battle unfold and feel the sudden knowing terror that must've gripped the Georgians as they realized they had fornicated upwards. I just sat back to appreciate the picture you'd painted and in my mind I could see the charge of the French cavalry at Crecy, and the subsequent slaughter of the French nobility by English infantry on that field. Loved every word of your post, hell, I'd read the phone book if you wrote the damned thing.

An extra ration of falernian for @clob94.....chop chop...!!

No kidding. Our boy needs to write a Novel about College Football. We need an updated version of The Program staring one James Caan.

Lock it up @clob94

Reactions: freeper
"OB Dungeon crew when Clob speaks"

Have you ever met Burton Gilliam? His wife was a patient of a friend of mine. He called Burton into the back hall one day after the elective schedule and he delivered the line about "Sing us a good ole n****r work song." It was great!

clob is like Emerson, Hemmingway, Twain and Dickens all in one.
Sitting in my office surrounded by history tomes, I will offer this. Reading @clob94 is better than reading Shelby Foote, whose three volume treatise "The Civil War" remains a must read history of The War Between the States some seventy years after the first volume was published simply because his narrative style could not be beat.

Thattababy!!!
I'm
Sitting in my office surrounded by history tomes, I will offer this. Reading @clob94 is better than reading Shelby Foote, whose three volume treatise "The Civil War" remains a must read history of The War Between the States some seventy years after the first volume was published simply because his narrative style could not be beat.
I tell people that reading Shelby Foote history is like reading a fast pace Novel.

Reactions: freeper
Guess we're not getting a Depth Chart until Saturday. Nobody wants to deal with the Arch shit storm I guess lol
Why would that be a shit storm?
He WANTS to red shirt. So you make Murphy the back-up and Arch the redshirt.
You jump out on Rice by 40 in the first half and you let Murphy and Arch both take snaps in the 2nd half.

Reactions: hookem777
Why would that be a shit storm?
He WANTS to red shirt. So you make Murphy the back-up and Arch the redshirt.
You jump out on Rice by 40 in the first half and you let Murphy and Arch both take snaps in the 2nd half.

Because the media is a shit storm even without having create controversy.

Not necessarily the staff or roster.

He’s a Manning. Dumbass reporters are gonna drive a narrative one way or the other

Because the media is a shit storm even without having create controversy.

Not necessarily the staff or roster.

He’s a Manning. Dumbass reporters are gonna drive a narrative one way or the other
he will play 4 games this year. no more, no less.

Reactions: weevilcatch
One thing about your report Clob is Texas doesn’t have to beat Bama to get to the playoff, on the flip side Bama doesn’t have to beat Texas to get to the playoff either. An 11-1 conference champion Texas would get in the playoff. Same for Bama if they lose.

Reactions: HornDrummer
One thing about your report Clob is Texas doesn’t have to beat Bama to get to the playoff, on the flip side Bama doesn’t have to beat Texas to get to the playoff either. An 11-1 conference champion Texas would get in the playoff. Same for Bama if they lose.
Re-read it........... pay closer attention.
Focus on this paragraph--- THEN read what I say later....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT