ADVERTISEMENT

Who would you have replace Charlie Strong?

I've personally lost faith in Strong's ability to pick a staff, that is the death nail for a coach that lets his staff run the offense.

I like Strong and what he brings the program outside of football, but he is first and foremost our football coach.

I've personally lost faith in Strong's ability to pick a staff, that is the death nail for a coach that lets his staff run the offense.

I like Strong and what he brings the program outside of football, but he is first and foremost our football coach.
I do agree that he did not pick a great staff, especially on offense.....But I think he has seen the light it seems and HOPEFULLY at the end of the year we are heading in the right direction AND Coach Strong hires some great coaches to replace the ones who are leaving...I think it will be at least 2 myself.....

I hated the Watson pick from the jump but I still like Strong and I hope he succeeds in the worst way......having said that if by the end of the year he isn't at least on the right track I may change my mind about giving him next year to fix it.....and of course how recruiting goes.

I do agree that he did not pick a great staff, especially on offense.....But I think he has seen the light it seems and HOPEFULLY at the end of the year we are heading in the right direction AND Coach Strong hires some great coaches to replace the ones who are leaving...I think it will be at least 2 myself.....

I hated the Watson pick from the jump but I still like Strong and I hope he succeeds in the worst way......having said that if by the end of the year he isn't at least on the right track I may change my mind about giving him next year to fix it.....and of course how recruiting goes.

It's a little early to call the new coaches a success, they will be judged by how their players play as the year goes on.

We need a new OC and more than likely a new Oline coach. Who should we get?

I want Mark Mangino as the OC and here is why.

Most OCs are looking to become a head coach at some point, we can get a lot of young guys that want to move on and if we have success they probably will. Mangino is a fantastic OC but made some mistakes as a head coach, it's unlikely he will get another head job in the next 5 years if he gets one at all.

I want a guy that gets the job done but won't leave after a few seasons. Mark is guy that will get the job done and won't leave anytime soon.

As for the oline coach, I want Mike Sherman, he is an oline genius, and pissed at the aggsy. should be a fun combo. Seriously he is another guy that would be excellent at coaching the oline.

Reactions: AlabamaHorn
It's a little early to call the new coaches a success, they will be judged by how their players play as the year goes on.

We need a new OC and more than likely a new Oline coach. Who should we get?

I want Mark Mangino as the OC and here is why.

Most OCs are looking to become a head coach at some point, we can get a lot of young guys that want to move on and if we have success they probably will. Mangino is a fantastic OC but made some mistakes as a head coach, it's unlikely he will get another head job in the next 5 years if he gets one at all.

I want a guy that gets the job done but won't leave after a few seasons. Mark is guy that will get the job done and won't leave anytime soon.

As for the oline coach, I want Mike Sherman, he is an oline genius, and pissed at the aggsy. should be a fun combo. Seriously he is another guy that would be excellent at coaching the oline.
Mike Sherman would be a homerun for the OL...I am right with you Son.....Mangino would be a good OC and would at least help on the Offensive side....I wouldn't say no to Mangino and Sherman.

I do want someone who is a recruiting war daddy though...we got to get the talent level back up.

Why would you fire a coach right after his first year?? What kind of message does that send to other coaches? You don't succeed in your first season you're out? What coach in their right mind would want that kind of added pressure playing with someone else's recruits. You have to be patient. Losing sucks. We've been there for years but you don't fire a coach who hasn't had a chance to get his players in to fit his system.

Texas will be fine. You just have to give Strong some time. Hell look at Texas Tech. They are just happy their women on facebook that "their coach is hotter than yours". (According to the Tech women and probably some of their men fans too)

Why would you fire a coach right after his first year?? What kind of message does that send to other coaches? You don't succeed in your first season you're out? What coach in their right mind would want that kind of added pressure playing with someone else's recruits. You have to be patient. Losing sucks. We've been there for years but you don't fire a coach who hasn't had a chance to get his players in to fit his system.

Texas will be fine. You just have to give Strong some time. Hell look at Texas Tech. They are just happy their women on facebook that "their coach is hotter than yours". (According to the Tech women and probably some of their men fans too)

**** the message.

I'll tell you what message it sends, don't suck two years in a row. Don't make the team really bad in year one and then worse in year two.

We don't expect to challenge for a championship every year, but we do expect to be competitive and competent. Charlie might be the worst offensive coach to come to Texas ever. And that is saying something with David McWilliams as one of our coaches.

[QUOTE="TexExSpur, post: 1978281, member: 27456"]Patterson will have to get canned for Strong to even sweat it..... Patterson isn't firing Strong![/QUOTE]

Well according to reports this morning that might be happening very soon.

[QUOTE="TexExSpur, post: 1978281, member: 27456"]Patterson will have to get canned for Strong to even sweat it..... Patterson isn't firing Strong!

Well according to reports this morning that might be happening very soon.[/QUOTE]
what reports?

what reports?

On HD. Report says Fenves is about done with Patterson. Could be out very soon.[/QUOTE]

Do you have a link to anything Fenves said? I'm hoping that Patterson is gone sooner, rather than later. Once he's gone, Fenves' first phone call should be to Oliver Luck.

Bobby Burton is now also reporting this. Thinks it is very close to happening.
I don't doubt it. I'm not buying just yet. I guess Joe Jamail walked away from his suite as well.

If Patterson is fired and a New AD comes in a fires Strong, it will further setback the program.

Last edited:
Went back and started reading some of the posts, pretty funny how no one believed Patterson was out.

Strong is the right coach for this team. To think otherwise is short sighted. I am sick of the sniveling

Reactions: Metcalf #2
I don't mind putting that last post up before the Cal game. Most of the pundits pick us to lose....I think we win, but even if we lose, this team is on the right track.

Yep, I'm expecting a loss, too. Doesn't change how I feel about the future.

You can't be serious...
As it stands MM, I'm quite certain we are super low on bags of dicks. How in the world can we hire Stoops with such a small number of bags of dicks?

What would we pay him with?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT