ADVERTISEMENT

Who would you have replace Charlie Strong?

Strong is the right coach for this team. To think otherwise is short sighted. I am sick of the sniveling

We don't know that yet. I'm hoping he is, but there are legit concerns right now that need to be addressed. The fact is his original hires on the offensive side have been a disaster, so far I like their replacements but again to date they are still unknowns.

Strong is not a perfect coach, to act like he is goes against some of the issues we have seen. To point, there are legit concerns that need to be addressed before I'm willing to say Charlie is or isn't the right guy for the job.

I think it's a legit concern that he can't find the right coaches to coach the offense. A lot of us knew Watson was a disaster of an OC and I wasn't surprised when he turned out that he was terrible. Wickline's situation still remains to be seen, but we shall see.

I will call Charlie the right coach when Texas starts to win games and become the dominate team in the conference. That is where we should be, especially in a watered down conference like the Big 12.

Reactions: swVAHorn
We don't know that yet. I'm hoping he is, but there are legit concerns right now that need to be addressed. The fact is his original hires on the offensive side have been a disaster, so far I like their replacements but again to date they are still unknowns.

Strong is not a perfect coach, to act like he is goes against some of the issues we have seen. To point, there are legit concerns that need to be addressed before I'm willing to say Charlie is or isn't the right guy for the job.

I think it's a legit concern that he can't find the right coaches to coach the offense. A lot of us knew Watson was a disaster of an OC and I wasn't surprised when he turned out that he was terrible. Wickline's situation still remains to be seen, but we shall see.

I will call Charlie the right coach when Texas starts to win games and become the dominate team in the conference. That is where we should be, especially in a watered down conference like the Big 12.

Son....it is hard for me to understand how any Longhorn fan can say he IS the right man for the job....until he does prove it then how can that even be in someones head? He very well may be the guy but like you said he hired an offensive trainwreck and we don't know who he will hire in the offseason. So how do they know he is the right guy? I am missing something I guess. It seems you are in the camp that says "he is the best" or the camp that says "he is in over his head"....why can't we have a camp that say "lets see what he does"?...oh well

And by you I dont mean you Son....just mean most people are in one camp or the other and not enough in the "let him prove it" camp.

Last edited:
Too early to replace him. So my answer is Charlie Strong.

Although I did find Paul Finebaums ESPN interview the other day ripping Steve Patterson saying he could have gotten Saban if he'd have made an offer. (hilarious as I believe he was the dolt out in front of that story calling it no chance and even saying UT was turned down years ago.....now he's saying its a lock Saban would have gone had we simply offered)

Too early to replace him. So my answer is Charlie Strong.

Although I did find Paul Finebaums ESPN interview the other day ripping Steve Patterson saying he could have gotten Saban if he'd have made an offer. (hilarious as I believe he was the dolt out in front of that story calling it no chance and even saying UT was turned down years ago.....now he's saying its a lock Saban would have gone had we simply offered)
Paul finebaum is a doushe. I'd like to leave a 9 inch red mark right up the middle of his bald head. If that guy was any more dumb, I'd accuse him of being mayonnaise.

Sometimes you just have to cut your losses and move on. We did it with Schnelly and Blake and it was the best thing that could have happened

Barking....are you saying that Blake and Strong are the same caliber coaches?same resumes..same qualifications...same abilities?

Damn....I used to think you sometimes made sense.

Barking....are you saying that Blake and Strong are the same caliber coaches?same resumes..same qualifications...same abilities?

Damn....I used to think you sometimes made sense.
Schnelly won a national championship at Miami and was a total screw up and only lasted 1 season at OU. Now Texas can languish with Strong for a few more years or they can get smart and find someone else even though it might make them look bad in the short term.

Schnelly won a national championship at Miami and was a total screw up and only lasted 1 season at OU. Now Texas can languish with Strong for a few more years or they can get smart and find someone else even though it might make them look bad in the short term.

Schelenburger was a total drunk, there is no way around that. Complete and total drunk.

Schnelly was a drunk. I wish he'd stayed until his liver gave out. Perfect fit for OU. Blake was never qualified to be a HC. No other school, not even a Div II or NAIA ever gave him another HC job. Both were horrible hires.

Strong is well-qualified for the job. He has a great coaching pedigree and has a proven track record.

Schnelly was a drunk. I wish he'd stayed until his liver gave out. Perfect fit for OU. Blake was never qualified to be a HC. No other school, not even a Div II or NAIA ever gave him another HC job. Both were horrible hires.

Strong is well-qualified for the job. He has a great coaching pedigree and has a proven track record.
I agree and disagree a little......Strong is well-qualified and has a great pedigree......but the proven track record not so much......Louisville was in a crappy conf.....I do think Strong gets it done IF he gets the right Offensive Coordinator and some recruiting WAR DADDIES on this staff....I think as far as character Schnelly and Blake are not on the same Planet as coach Strong........Strong is a good man.

lol you seem to be in denial

I won't degrade his experience, I think he has just as good experience as mack did at North Carolina. UNC was in the ACC but they never beat anyone like FSU or came close to winning the ACC. For all that matters Charlie at Louisville was every bit what Mack was at UNC.

Reactions: 4MNChampsHorn
Mack left Strong nothing. This is the first year that Strong is playing with his recruits. The year he was hired, recruiting was almost over. So, I discount that year-Strong did not have a full year to recruit.

The year Strong took over Texas lost so much talent that was committed. to Mack. A'Shawn Robinson, Maya Tuehema, Alaka, and Deshon Hall. Just a few guys we lost that would all be starters or contributors right now. Hell, if we just kept Robinson and Tuehema we would be so much better it's crazy.

Water under the bridge, Mack needed to go and the trade off for fixing this program was worth the short term loss.

Reactions: ednn and swVAHorn
Chip Kelly. We need an offensive style coach. Strong is a bad fit, I hope he's gone sooner than later. Kelly might not be in the nfl much longer anyway which bodes well for us.

I would rather hire Tom Hermann away from u of h. At least he cares about defense.

If he does well there he could be a good fit. That would be two urban meyer coordinator/head coaches.

I'm officially ready for the Strong era to be over. He is not our standard.

I want either

Chip Kelly or Mike DeAntono as my top two choices.

Either would coach circles around Strong.

Longhorn recruiting has fallen off dramatically since T A&M left the conf. They opened the door to many SEC teams to come in and steal away talent from the Big 12. But UT has taken the hit harder than any other Big12 TEAM. The D-backs, O-line and D- line are all way below what was here just 5 years ago. Ridgeway is the only consistent gamer on the whole team. That's pretty weak.

Longhorn recruiting has fallen off dramatically since T A&M left the conf. They opened the door to many SEC teams to come in and steal away talent from the Big 12. But UT has taken the hit harder than any other Big12 TEAM. The D-backs, O-line and D- line are all way below what was here just 5 years ago. Ridgeway is the only consistent gamer on the whole team. That's pretty weak.

I don't care about recruiting, TCU has never gotten top talent yet here they are as favorite to win the conference. Do you think aggsy had all the top talent in 2012? No but they still ended the season as a top 5 school. Lots and lots of schools compete and win without top talent.

Texas recruited very well in 2011 and 2012, or at lease we thought we did, but the truth is we didn't develop them for shit, that is the real issue.

I'm not going to beat a dead horse about the talent we have at Texas, that isn't why I want strong gone.

It's pretty well documented that Charlie Strong has no idea how to coach the offense, and the guys he brought in don't know it either. We fired two coaches after 1 year because they sucked. We probably will say goodbye to Wick and Watson after this year. Not good for a coach that relies on assistants to run that half of the game.

More important to me is his lack of ability to manage the game. He has made many critical mistakes in this department as well. I won't go into specifics but damn if he just keeps his cool the OSU offense never gets in fieldgoal range to tie it up.

I'm officially ready for the Strong era to be over. He is not our standard.

I want either

Chip Kelly or Mike DeAntono as my top two choices.

Either would coach circles around Strong.
So get rid of him in his 2nd year and his 1st recruiting class? Crazy. So what would you do is get another coach and say he is a better fit and what if he doesn't work right. Then what? Get rid of him and find someone else in year 2 as well. If you would do that. You will never get a coach to ever come here. This is the hardest job in college sports. The coaches have to deal with Boosters, the school and most of all the crazy fans on here. He couldn't even coach because he would be walking on egg shells thinking," oh man, am i about to get fired because we lost this game?" We don't need to have coaches nervous about that. Im glad we have strong but we need some talent. It's getting there but you guys act like we going to win the championship

Agree with Son, as tough as this season is let CCS have next year and if no improvement in the win-loss record hire a new coach. On that note UT might do well to consider the following candidates.
1 Hugh Freeze (not sure he would leave Ole Miss)
2.Matt Campbell HC-Toledo Young coach with huge upside
3.Jim Mora jr.
4.Mark Hudspeth HC UL-L Young, aggressive and intense coach

Strong should get another year as that is only fair but let me toss another coach that should be considered if things do not work out .Justin Fuente of Memphis State,a former OU Qb,sound familiar,39 years old,coached under Patterson at TCU,co-Oc during undefeated 13-0 rose bowl year,took over a yearly doormat at Memphis and with the same Patterson blueprint team went 4-8,3-9,to 10-3 and has not been beaten this year,The team is strong and very fast on both sides on the ball. I like coaches that take bottom barrel programs and turn them into Champions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT