ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (A wild ride down memory lane)

Originally posted by Oilfield:
Natalie Maines killed her own career. Sucks for her but that is life. I too am embarrassed that someone is from Texas, and that someone is certainly not George Bush.
Killed her career? Her recent solo album was pretty dope.

Originally posted by PBR_StreetGang:
Speaking of the aftermath of that week or two time period, what's the status of the Bellmont information ministers like Nick Voinis? Staying? Leaving? Hadn't seen anybody address Bellmont personnel moves in a while, but I could have missed something. Great writeup this week.
There hasn't been a lot of turnover yet in the athletic department outside of the football turnover, which has been pretty big.

Ketch,

Have you seen Out of the Furnace with Woody Harrelson and Christian Bale. Would be in my top movies for the year and there are some Oscar type performances in there. I know that it hasn't gotten the accolades, but it was a damn good movie.

Originally posted by coolhandfish:

Ketch,

Have you seen Out of the Furnace with Woody Harrelson and Christian Bale. Would be in my top movies for the year and there are some Oscar type performances in there. I know that it hasn't gotten the accolades, but it was a damn good movie.
Haven't seen it. Is it in theaters or DVD or in-between?

Maines is allowed to bitch about the president
Others are allowed to bitch about Maines.

Pretty simple. Let's move on.

This post was edited on 1/27 12:12 PM by ToadHallGangster

A 10 year dead period is pretty damn long in the music business.
Just to be clear, in the group's final album, which came out in 2006 and three years after Maines' comments about Bush, the album Taking the Long Road sold 2.5 million copies and won 5 Grammy Awards, including Album of the Year, Record of the Year and Song of the Year in February 2007.

They've taken some time to be mothers and kind of do their own things for the last few years, but their tours apparently sell like crazy and if they put out an album tomorrow it would chart incredibly high.

10-year dead period? lulz

I was in the camp that didn't appreciate, not just what Natalie said, but where she said it. I do give her props for not backing down and apologizing like many celebrities do, at the behest of their publicists. I also think, whether she has asked to be forgiven or not, enough time has passed that those who have a problem with her should at least give her new music a chance.

Natalie Maines is crossing over with her music and leaving the C&W scene behind. She will lose the majority of her old fan base. But, the reception her music is getting now is starting to make up for what she has lost.

Her new audience are the young music aficionados who go to the big music festivals. Completely different demographic. But, a highly sought after demographic by advertisers. It pretty much guarantees she will have some commercial success.

She has some very powerful entertainers backing her re-birth…Ringo Starr, Sheryl Crow, and Ben Harper to name a few.

I can't emphasize how sought after she is becoming on the festival circuit and how unique her style is.

Originally posted by Ketchum:
FYI, I'm going Genesis this week.
Lamb Lies Down on Broadway better be in your top 3.
wink.r191677.gif

The timeline belongs in the classics, great stuff.

I don't give a crap either way about the Dixie Chicks. They have a right to say what they want, people have a right to not like it and not support their music. But it might be time to let the hate go, been a long time.

The night of the athletic banquet can't be topped IMO. Rome freaking burned that night.

Good thread Ketch. Thx.

For the Natalie Maines haters out there... is there anything else other than those comments about Bush that drives your hate? You realize she's one of us, right? She's a West Texas girl living in Austin. Not like she was born in Connecticut.
wink.r191677.gif
Man, I don't even like people in my own neighborhood. She made a choice, so did many in the public. If you want to call it a grudge or whatever, so be it. I call it not dealing with or supporting people I don't like. Ain't nobody got time for that. Her celebrity status from Texas has no bearing. I don't find her music appealing or interesting to discuss either.

The thing she said is no where near what is posted on the coral about Obama on a daily basis. Same is true on the main board.

I wonder if those that still hold anger towards her have said anything negative about President Obama? This just seems hypocritical to me.

Phil Collins should be interesting.

I will always believe Patterson had an academically approved list provided by Powers to work from. The "process" was very focused.

Originally posted by SkullSplitter:

You realize she's one of us, right? She's a West Texas girl living in Austin. Not like she was born in Connecticut.
wink.r191677.gif
the_funniest_photos_george_w_bush_photos_31.jpg
My God, that's perfect.

Natalie Maines killed her own career. Sucks for her but that is life. I too am embarrassed that someone is from Texas, and that someone is certainly not George Bush.
Killed her career? Her recent solo album was pretty dope.
469807d5259d8eb2a818b59ddc08abf055416f10af8df4eb92e193784be81b79.jpg

Geoff,
I'm a bit surprised that meeting me and my family at Randall's on Sunday didn't make the list! I would have thought that little balloon dance my daughter roped me into would have been at least top 7.

Originally posted by theloupe:
Geoff,
I'm a bit surprised that meeting me and my family at Randall's on Sunday didn't make the list! I would have thought that little balloon dance my daughter roped me into would have been at least top 7.
You guys gave e a glimpse of my future.

Originally posted by theloupe:
You will have a blast...and be totally exhausted...often
smile.r191677.gif
That sounds like a different kind of blast than the pre-married me is used to.

Good recap. And, I will say my take again, one more time. CS has 3 years to turn this thing around. You can blame it on Mack and that would be true, you can blame it on not getting a big hire and thereby keeping more of our class and adding to them, you can blame it on CS not making a big hire at OC. Nevertheless, there are too many "powers" that have been left twisting in the wind for CS to have more than 3 years until the wheels fall off, land in the gutter and take CS with them. CS has one gigantic task ahead of him. This years class is gone no matter if CS gets Ford, Nelson and a couple others. It will still be a class that is at best poor compared to normal Texas class. Therefore, like it or not, 2015 is do or die for CS at Texas. If he cannot get a top 5 class to try and turn this ugly-ass ship around, CS will be gone from Texas before you can say, "Patterson has just resigned."

Originally posted by Jack87:

Good recap. And, I will say my take again, one more time. CS has 3 years to turn this thing around. You can blame it on Mack and that would be true, you can blame it on not getting a big hire and thereby keeping more of our class and adding to them, you can blame it on CS not making a big hire at OC. Nevertheless, there are too many "powers" that have been left twisting in the wind for CS to have more than 3 years until the wheels fall off, land in the gutter and take CS with them. CS has one gigantic task ahead of him. This years class is gone no matter if CS gets Ford, Nelson and a couple others. It will still be a class that is at best poor compared to normal Texas class. Therefore, like it or not, 2015 is do or die for CS at Texas. If he cannot get a top 5 class to try and turn this ugly-ass ship around, CS will be gone from Texas before you can say, "Patterson has just resigned."
The stakes are sky high.

Re: Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (A wild ride down memory lan

For the Natalie Maines haters out there... is there anything else other than those comments about Bush that drives your hate? You realize she's one of us, right? She's a West Texas girl living in Austin. Not like she was born in Connecticut.
wink.r191677.gif

I've never voted for a Democrat in my life and I f'ing love her. Angelic voices with vaginas can work this kind of magic :)

Well ok Geoff is a political tinker bell and I like him too so there's always exceptions. I kid! I kid!

Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

What is the definition of "turned around'? It took Mack until his 6th season to achieve a spot in a major bowl. It wasn't until his 7th season that he one the conference. 10 wins? Conference Championship? BCS? MNC?

Strong will have at least 4 unless he goes Mike Leach on someone.

Next year could be decent if he gets some luck but he will need a lot of luck with our QB situation.

Originally posted by Baron King:
Nice words on Lamarcus. Obviously playing with Lilliard helps stretch defenses but I think having Lopez at the 5 has made the biggest impact. Also great to DJ Augustine getting a second chance in Chicago.
I wish I had picked up Augustin on waivers in fantasy. He's filled in nicely after being left professionally for dead to a degree.
I heard some really smart guy in your league grabbed him.

After reading the timeline of events, it's clear there was a gross over-reaction to everything reported on OB. This situation reminds me of the first "Men In Black" movie when Tommy Lee Jones' character "K" is recruiting Will Smith's "J".

Smith "J": Why the big secret? People are smart. They can handle it.

Jones "K": A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it.

I'll be honest. I don't post much at all on message boards (less than 10 posts in nearly 2 years). I just don't have the time. However, I thoroughly enjoy and appreciate all the work you and your staff do on a daily basis. And quite frankly, your site is the first, and more often than not, the only site I visit for information regarding the Texas programs because I know the information is credible and I trust your staff. You guys have been on-point with this whole situation, and I want to say "Thank you" for not giving in to outside pressure.

Keep up the good work, and Hook 'em!

Originally posted by WTexasHorn:
wink.r191677.gif

I've never voted for a Democrat in my life and I f'ing love her. Angelic voices with vaginas can work this kind of magic :)

Well ok Geoff is a political tinker bell and I like him too so there's always exceptions. I kid! I kid!

Posted from wireless.rivals.com
i've been reduced to a damn tinkerbell

Originally posted by Nasty D:

What is the definition of "turned around'? It took Mack until his 6th season to achieve a spot in a major bowl. It wasn't until his 7th season that he one the conference. 10 wins? Conference Championship? BCS? MNC?

Strong will have at least 4 unless he goes Mike Leach on someone.

Next year could be decent if he gets some luck but he will need a lot of luck with our QB situation.
I could see this place going Notre Dame on Strong if he's not in a BCS bowl at the end of three. This place is still fairly volcanic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT