ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Hello, 40. Hello, memories.)

There’s nowhere to hide, Art.

Orangebloods will see you at the Omni in Dallas.

jaws-eating-quint-shark-gifs.gif

\m/

You'll forgive me if trips to L.A., the Bay Area, Seattle, Portland, Denver and Phoenix are more attractive to these eyes.

The Big 10 is yesterday. The Pac-16 is tomorrow.

I agree that the locales would be superior in the Pac-16 (I've been to virtually all of them, and they would make for great road trips). The demographics are also in its favor, and the tv money would be better than the Big 12. It may end up being our best option if it is the only conference that will take TT, OU, and OSU, and frankly, I think most UT fans would be quite happy.

However, the B1G pulls better ratings, has better time slots, makes more money, and has much more passionate fanbases. The locales in the B1G aren't very attractive, but the full stadiums of screaming fans make for a great gameday environment.

I think either conference would be a huge upgrade and would be fine with either one. I really think our administration is going to have a hard time picking one or the other (assuming SEC and ACC are not in play).

The Virginia game was the last game I've been to in Austin, thanks for the memories. Happy Birthday. Enjoy the kids because they will be grown up before you can say bevo 3 times.

The only condition of my acceptance was that I had to take another semester of Spanish, which means that I was the original Du’Vonta Lampkin … well … except for the part where I took the class at ACC and officially enrolled in January.

Yeah- except for that one part. Only that one, the only one that counts as it happens...:(

Heading into the 2016 season, I’d rank the running back units in the Big 12 like this:

1. Oklahoma (Sam Perine/Joe Mixon)
2. Baylor (Shock Linwood, Johnny Jefferson and Devin Chafin)
3. Texas (D’Onta Foreman, Chris Warren and Kirk Johnson)
4. Iowa State (Mike Warren)
5. West Virginia (Rushel Shell)
6. Texas Tech (Justin Stockton)
7. TCU (Sewo Olonilua and Kyle Hicks)
8. Oklahoma State (Barry Sanders Jr. and Chris Carson)
9. Kansas State (Charles Jones, Dalvin Warmack and Justin Silmon)
10. Kansas (Ke'aun Kinner and Quiv Gonzales)

Is there any position group Kansas doesn't rank last in the conference?

Lastly...

happy-birthday-meme-funny-photo-Ahgd.jpg

Ketch - Sua's points are right on.

That said the TV execs feel that a Pac -16 with Texas and Oklahoma will bring the Pac 16 into the central timezone which will make the games much easier to watch on the East coast and Chicago. Is this what the TV execs feel will change the Pac 12 fortunes and make Texas and Oklahoma so valuable?
Most of the people I've spoken with don't view the situation through a 2016 prism, but more like a 2025 or 2030 prism.

This is about projected demographics, grow projections and live programming that never stops.

If you view that college football and athletics in general are still growing and expanding, a TV presence that expands into three times zones is of enormous value.

Ketch, I look forward to your Thoughts every Monday but this was my favorite read yet. I was about 5 years ahead of you on much of this timeline. I also worked for the UT SID and interned at a local TV station in Austin, but I gave up the dream and now, unlike you, I have to pay for my sports tickets. Congrats on sticking with it! (BTW, how great is John Bianco?)

Just on market size, UT joining the Big Ten would make that conference DOMINATE the top 10 and 15 TV markets, even more so than joining the Pac 16. But I live in the shadow of Kinnick Stadium and I'd still hate to see Texas in the Big Ten over the Pac. It's boring football and there's nothing sexy about attending away games in West Lafayette. I know, I've done it. My vote would be to join the Pac over Big Ten.

Having said all that I'd rather join the Big Ten than stay in the Big 12. Especially if we brought OU. That would immediately be superior to the overrated, top-heavy, SEC. Joining the Big Ten wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. But won't Texas have to concede LHN before they join anyone else? And is there too much allegiance to the have-not schools in the Big 12 to leave?
I view the Big 10 as cold, boring, old and stake.

Other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

That was a fun read Geoff. The old Liscano and Noah days. I started at KEYE in January of 97...had forgotten that was the starting line of ya'll's recruiting coverage. Those were fun times at the 'ol EYE.

This needs to happen for the students. None of them want to be in Minnesota in January. Or Des Moines ever.

Aww, come on now. The Hawkeyes play in Iowa City, which is 2 hours away from Des Moines and Des Moines is actually a pretty cool burg. Des Moines is a lot like Austin in 1985 before the world realized how great it was.

Neither Iowa City nor Des Moines is anything like Ames, which is VERY College Station-esque.

Don't get me wrong, the whole state sucks in January and it's never as awesome to visit as Tempe or Palo Alto. But let's not go Iowa-bashing, we got good folks here.

Aww, come on now. The Hawkeyes play in Iowa City, which is 2 hours away from Des Moines and Des Moines is actually a pretty cool burg. Des Moines is a lot like Austin in 1985 before the world realized how great it was.

Neither Iowa City nor Des Moines is anything like Ames, which is VERY College Station-esque.

Don't get me wrong, the whole state sucks in January and it's never as awesome to visit as Tempe or Palo Alto. But let's not go Iowa-bashing, we got good folks here.
and FULL stadia. :)

Reactions: txfight
(Sell) Pac-16, baby. Better media markets, better road trips and better overall platform for the Longhorns.

No doubt. Have you ever been to Minneapolis or god forbid Lafayette in November? Minneapolis is at least a great town but with unimaginably bad weather. Same applies to Madison. Nonetheless, if I have a vote we're in the PAC. We'd end up w/the AZ schools, maybe Utah, Colorado and the two LA schools. Nice academics and athletics. As you said "Better media markets, better road trips and better overall platform for the Longhorns." Let's ride!

That was a fun read Geoff. The old Liscano and Noah days. I started at KEYE in January of 97...had forgotten that was the starting line of ya'll's recruiting coverage. Those were fun times at the 'ol EYE.
Were you there the night when Jordan hit the shot over Russell and we all screamed out while the news was going on?

The good ol' days.

I apologize to all Iowans.

BUY or SELL: The best conference fit for Texas - both academically and athletically - is the Big Ten conference?

(Sell) Pac-16, baby. Better media markets, better road trips and better overall platform for the Longhorns.

Well, I'm not sure how else to respond when everything I say seems to be slotted under the "Joe Fan road trip malaise".

You went from talking about TV metrics and platforms to " better road trips " . That was you framing the issue , not me.
The TV execs don't pay money because the fans think it is a better road trip.....that is Joe Fan on OB posting.
Indeed, intuitively it is just the opposite: TV wants to have shitty road trips so fans will stay home and watch it on ESPN.

As I said, the TV guys know the numbers and they will spend it as they choose. Doesn't matter what you or I think. Time will tell.
Choose a fine matinee :):)

I apologize to all Iowans.
I can't believe I posted a comment regarding Ketch's birthday that said,

"Today, El Ketcho is... Tirty tree years old!" :D

And nobody picked up on that Three Amigos reference? What a disappointing thread! :mad:

Nonetheless, if I have a vote we're in the PAC. We'd end up w/the AZ schools, maybe Utah, Colorado and the two LA schools. Nice academics and athletics. As you said "Better media markets, better road trips and better overall platform for the Longhorns." Let's ride!
I'll believe the California schools splitting into separate divisions when I see it. There will be a strong lobby to keep the original Pac 8 together with the "newer" schools in the other division. Texas definitely needs to have a couple of California schools in their division to make the deal.

I can't believe I posted a comment regarding Ketch's birthday that said,

"Today, El Ketcho is... Tirty tree years old!" :D

And nobody picked up on that Three Amigos reference? What a disappointing thread! :mad:
I'm here! Me and de boys got together and got Ketch dis geeft. It's a sweater!

I'll believe the California schools splitting into separate divisions when I see it. There will be a strong lobby to keep the original Pac 8 together with the "newer" schools in the other division. Texas definitely needs to have a couple of California schools in their division to make the deal.
No dispute. That realignment might be tough. Nonetheless, most anything would be an improvement over the Big XII as it now exists. (Oh and I don't want the Big XII to expand) Of course if we brought some "friends" along with us then the alignment changes dramatically. Oh shut up (to self), even if we realigned it's years off and I'm not sure my wife even cares about my opinion. Cheers

Top American TV markets in a Pac-16 Conference. Let's count'em.

Rank Metropolitan Market Regions / Areas
1 New York
2 Los Angeles
3 Chicago
4 Philadelphia
5 Dallas-Ft. Worth
6 San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose

7 Boston
8 Atlanta
9 Washington, DC
10 Houston
11 Detroit
12 Phoenix
13 Tampa-St. Petersburg
14 Seattle-Tacoma
15 Minneapolis-St. Paul
16 Miami-Ft.Lauderdale
17 Cleveland-Akron
18 Denver
19 Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne
20 Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto
21 St. Louis
22 Portland, OR
23 Pittsburgh
24 Charlotte, NC
25 Indianapolis
26 Baltimore
27 Raleigh-Durham
28 San Diego

Four of the top 10.
Six of the top 14
Eight of the top 20.
10 of the top 28.

No one else can match that.
But the SEC can't match it, and it's a pretty good conference. I don't like the SEC, but I just think you're using the wrong analysis to pick an ideal conference.

Reactions: KatyKid and Craben
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT