ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (I finally did it...)

tumblr_od2of6BAZA1vym037o2_500.gif
Keep punching, Apollo.

We need to cut ties with Lacey...yesterday. Maybe the reason our 2025 class has not taken off is because the presumed leader is shacking up with various other teams in the SEC.

Give him the old "if the phone doesn't ring it's me" treatment.

We need to cut ties with Lacey...yesterday. Maybe the reason our 2025 class has not taken off is because the presumed leader is shacking up with various other teams in the SEC.

Give him the old "if the phone doesn't ring it's me" treatment.
Not needed to all IMO. Ride the wave.

whew... you are setting the bar incredibly high.
So 4 spots to the conf champs right?

That leaves 8 spots open?

I see Texas as a top 5 team with the current roster. Maybe better if we can land a difference maker at DT in the portal.

I’d think a win against a lesser seed in the first round would be expected for this roster.

Great one this weekend.

I believe 2024 is going to be the toughest season for the Longhorns football team since I have been watching closely back in high school, circa 1980. Between going into Ann Arbor, a bunch of unfamiliar SEC teams, Aggroid game and GA coming to Austin. To top it off the expectations of the fan base is extremely high. I cant think of any more of a difficult season.

QE is going to have his hands full. He now has to figure out how to take his game to the next level. Same with Sark and his coaching.

Keep in mind almost all of our conf games in 2023 were against seriously inferior players. In the SEC, I would expect to see much tougher teams with a higher mix of 4/5 star players. Maybe we play like we did against AL two years in a row.
Michigan lost their coach and most of their starters. Texas will be playing a shell of the team that just one the NC. They play 4 non-conference games this year instead of 3, so, that is an extra cupcake. The SEC schedule is MSU, OU, Georgia, Vandy, Florida, Arky, Kentucky and aggy. Half of those teams are worse than middle of the pack big 12.

We have only landed five OOS 5*s in the last 25 years? Wow that is brutal

Carl Weathers was a Raider as well, excellent actor and from all I have read a nice down to earth man! Much accomplished and all with style and class, RIP and prayers for family!

Lots of data points on how successful recruits prior to 2021 should be expected to perform, however I don’t get any feel for the future as Sark process of evaluating recruits and developing them won’t show for a few years.
Each staff can very different results. Both in evaluations a development of those recruits.
I think (hope) that Sark and company will blow the previous staff’s out of the water.

Lots of data points on how successful recruits prior to 2021 should be expected to perform, however I don’t get any feel for the future as Sark process of evaluating recruits and developing them won’t show for a few years.
Each staff can very different results. Both in evaluations a development of those recruits.
I think (hope) that Sark and company will blow the previous staff’s out of the water.

You can always find a reason to ignore the data, but the results are bias free.

So if I have this right, only go out of state for high four stars or five stars. In state low four stars and below are no more likely to play but are less likely to transfer than OOS. Which is interesting since I would suspect the lower star in state talent is easier to attract but not really going to sustain the program at the desired level

Not for this specific team I don’t think

Reserve the right to change my mind though if we don’t get a portal DT
Whether we get a portal DT or not will not impact our record as much as you seem to think. People are waaay overemphasizing its importance given what the rest of the defense will look like.

You missed the point.
The point was every HC and their staff could have very different results. Maybe, maybe not!
Sark could have very different results because of better or worse evaluation, emphasis on character, NIL, winning record, etc.
Those data points analyzed by staff would be more meaningful to me and as you pointed out we don’t have all the data available on Sark and his staff necessary to do that evaluation on our current staff.

The sample sizes are not large for the out of state players prior to Sark (7 blue chip prospects). Nothing else really matters here

It’s good work in that it continues to confirm what I think we knew regarding 3 stars to mid 4 stars and also confirms transfers are a bigger issue with out of state players (not surprising). I imagine as the sample size grows the 5 stars out of state will line up with same metrics as those in state largely

Last edited:
Texas will get some super blues, especially on offense.
Good read as usual for TFTW. Sad about Carl Weathers. Unfortunately if you grew up in the late 70s and early 80s many childhood favorites are starting to pass away.

I would be curious and you may have already done this but how many 5 stars has Sark been involved with as HC (all players) and as OC for USC, Alabama (offensive players). He such a great recruiter that I would guess quite a few.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT