ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Permission to dream big?)

If you consumed all of that data and don't understand why it's valuable, it might just be that these types of content items aren't for you.

Beyond a shadow of a doubt, I have put in your lap a value system in recruiting that when applied to every recruit that Texas signs should provide a realistic snapshot of the expectations that one should have for them.

If that's not sinking in with specific detail, my stuff isn't for you as it relates to written content.
He just pointed out that making predictions based on results from an entirely different program from the AD on down is not reasonable.
No one disagrees with your data.

@mi16 Here are the Irish numbers:

Notre Dame

5 stars: 100% (2 of 2)
High 4: 33.3% (2 of 6)
* Mid 4: 16.7% (1 of 6)
Low 4: 28.6% (4 of 14)

Overall: 9 of 28 (32.1%)

One player transferred to BYU and is a senior in 2020, so he could still impact the draft numbers, but it would be a J'Marcus Webb situation.
Thanks

Final Four , Sam gets it done with New down field scheme and with WR and RB groups going the distance.
Ash creates havoc on D

Reactions: txfight
I made it a point to watch all wins from last season and the LSU game. By the end of the season, you could tell Ehlinger was not the same QB that we saw vs. LSU. It seemed he lost trust in his WR's. He held the ball too long. By the Kansas game, Grip it and rip it was the motto. Sam said, it is much easier said, than done.

Hypothetical: Ehlinger goes down with season ending injury vs. UTEP. Does Texas welcome him back next year, or do they get him ready for the NFL?

Texas playing 2 TE's during scrimmage tells me the WR trust is still not there. Iowa State does not have the historical talent UT has at WR; therefore, they play 2 TE's. I would not mind seeing Texas look like the New England Patriots or even Iowa State if it meant 9-1 vs. 7-3. I really am starting to believe you are on to something with 7-3, unfortunately.

I think Tom just needs to put it all together and he hasn't done that once in his entire career. Even in his best season, he dropped games he shouldn't have.

I think Herman puts a lot of stock in hyping his players ala Knute Rockne. Obviously works very well on some big-time games, but loses its value in week to week games.

I think it might foster doubt among players when games should be won with ordinary effort. A lot of quiet, encouraging talk, even individually by coaches, may be of more value in routine situations.

I’m just going to disagree on 45 tds. I think it is in realm of possibilities that Yurcich makes a huge difference on offense and we start throwing up Oklahoma and Oklahoma State offensive numbers.

Justin Fields had 51 in 14 games last year, and Jalen Hurts 53. Those guys didn't even hit the four-TD per game average.

Then we need to make sure we have the proper coaching staff in place.

Covid is only going to make the gap between haves and have nots wider. If we don’t take advantage of this year, we have no one to blame but our leadership.

barring a Sam Ehlinger injury, I’ll predict 9-1, then win conference title. Get busy winning or get busy dying.

eh. I don't know about that second part. It's so unpredictable. What if one team one week is without its starting QB and LT and the other team isn't? There are a lot of potentially odd scenarios that could happen because of the virus, exposure, contact tracing, etc.

The SEC forever gets the benefit of the doubt.

Never forget that. I agree that three feels extreme.
100%! College football desperately needs the parity that existed at the end of the last century (1999 season) in order to counter the SEC bias that's developed the last 20 years.

National Championships: 1980 - 1999
6 -- Independents (Miami, Penn State, Notre Dame)
5 -- Big 8 (Nebraska, OU, Colorado)
4 -- ACC (Florida State, Clemson, GA Tech)
4 -- SEC (Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, Alabama)
1 -- Big Ten (Michigan)
1 -- Pac-10 (Washington)
1 -- Big East (Miami)
1 -- WAC (BYU)
0 -- SWC

Well yeah, he was never going to be good as a 4i. He reportedly has had a really great camp getting to the QB and is going to be replacing Ojomo on passing downs.

I try to keep up, but have heard very little on camp situations. It kind of bothers me that more is not forthcoming. Have not seen much about Jones, but I hope he is productive.

Pretty intriguing piece by Ketch about the coming season and the history of OL recruiting and development.

Mediocrity has become muscle-memory around this program. Does it have the steel that a guy like Vince Young gave it to pull itself out of the Oklahoma domination 15 years ago? Is that who Sam is?

I think the season should go well (9-1), but Sam's definitely not a transcendent athlete like Vince was. Nevertheless, Sam has a golden opportunity in every game this season to be the more experienced QB surrounded by the most experienced team, while facing what some feel is the easiest schedule the Longhorns have had in a decade.

I agree with you 100% but I’m going to play Ketchum for a second .

What makes Yurcich awesome? He was fired from Ok State and wasn’t the one calling plays at Ohio State. Also, Coleman wasn’t retained by the new staff at KSU or hired by anyone when he was fired before he became a GA here.

What makes them upgrades as Herman had a top 15 offense.
Yurcich has made every offense he’s been apart improve. He was great at OK St and OSU also took another step forward when he came on board. He’s worked with some of the brightest offensive minds in football it’s hard to imagine him not making Texas a top 5-7 offense. Hell we were 13 last year and couldn’t get into any kind of rhythm for over half the season. Andre Coleman is definitely a step above Mehringer. He actually played in the NFL is a former OC and the receivers have raved about his coaching abilities. I think we might actually get some separation this year due to more polished route running and footwork. He stresses those big time in the stuff I’ve watched with him. Consider me a believer.

Reactions: horndr
wow, you have them in the playoffs and they haven't so much as proven anything to you in front of your very eyes?

I mean it’s preseason and I am going off the “on-paper” talent and the advantages we should have in every game especially at the QB position. As you have often noted, QB is where is starts and ends in CFB. They could shit the bed and suck but I don’t think the new OC and DC are less than what we had before and we finally have a good couple of recruiting classes that did not mass atrit and stuck together as Srs and Jrs.

I hear you on show me and I am generally pretty wait and see in CFB but this team has the “plus players” as you call them to get it done.

If we lose 3 games that means we essentially couldn’t beat OSU or OU and we lost one more we absolutely shouldn’t lose. Basically same as last year so no steps forward and a waste of a really good Sr QB. I just don’t think that happens. The stake is in the ground.

I made it a point to watch all wins from last season and the LSU game. By the end of the season, you could tell Ehlinger was not the same QB that we saw vs. LSU. It seemed he lost trust in his WR's. He held the ball too long. By the Kansas game, Grip it and rip it was the motto. Sam said, it is much easier said, than done.

Hypothetical: Ehlinger goes down with season ending injury vs. UTEP. Does Texas welcome him back next year, or do they get him ready for the NFL?

Texas playing 2 TE's during scrimmage tells me the WR trust is still not there. Iowa State does not have the historical talent UT has at WR; therefore, they play 2 TE's. I would not mind seeing Texas look like the New England Patriots or even Iowa State if it meant 9-1 vs. 7-3. I really am starting to believe you are on to something with 7-3, unfortunately.
I think Texas would take him back, but I think he'd give some consideration to going pro and figuring it out there.

Pretty intriguing piece by Ketch about the coming season and the history of OL recruiting and development.

I think the season should go well (9-1), but Sam's definitely not a transcendent athlete like Vince was. Nevertheless, Sam has a golden opportunity in every game this season to be the more experienced QB surrounded by the most experienced team, while facing what some feel is the easiest schedule the Longhorns have had in a decade.
It all makes sense on paper.

Here's my thing.

Everyone keeps saying that this season will be about the teams that are the most disciplined, most consistent, most mature and most focused.

Can we honestly say that this is who Texas is at this point?

Yurcich has made every offense he’s been apart improve. He was great at OK St and OSU also took another step forward when he came on board. He’s worked with some of the brightest offensive minds in football it’s hard to imagine him not making Texas a top 5-7 offense. Hell we were 13 last year and couldn’t get into any kind of rhythm for over half the season. Andre Coleman is definitely a step above Mehringer. He actually played in the NFL is a former OC and the receivers have raved about his coaching abilities. I think we might actually get some separation this year due to more polished route running and footwork. He stresses those big time in the stuff I’ve watched with him. Consider me a believer.
How did Ohio State take a step forward?

I mean it’s preseason and I am going off the “on-paper” talent and the advantages we should have in every game especially at the QB position. As you have often noted, QB is where is starts and ends in CFB. They could shit the bed and suck but I don’t think the new OC and DC are less than what we had before and we finally have a good couple of recruiting classes that did not mass atrit and stuck together as Srs and Jrs.

I hear you on show me and I am generally pretty wait and see in CFB but this team has the “plus players” as you call them to get it done.

If we lose 3 games that means we essentially couldn’t beat OSU or OU and we lost one more we absolutely shouldn’t lose. Basically same as last year so no steps forward and a waste of a really good Sr QB. I just don’t think that happens. The stake is in the ground.
Fair enough!

I think the pass rush is being underrated. I am very excited to see how disruptive Coburn can be.

I'm also excited about the two freshmen. I think Ojomo has flashed some big upside potential, I would like to see him flip the switch this year.

How did Ohio State take a step forward?
Well for starters they averaged more points, an unproven qb had a higher rating than previously proven Dwayne Haskins, SRS went from 5th to 1st against a more difficult SOS

How much credit was it the offensive gurus in Gundy/Day vs. Yurcich? And why did no one hire Coleman when he was let go if he’s that in good?
I love Yurcich ( and Ash) but that’s the argument you’ll see . I can’t wait for Saturday.

Well for starters they averaged more points, an unproven qb had a higher rating than previously proven Dwayne Haskins, SRS went from 5th to 1st against a more difficult SOS
And that credit goes to Yurcich, a guy that ranked third on the depth chart at OC?

Also, I'm not sure that going from 42 to 46 points is taking it to the next level. It's the same top of the food chain level.

How much of the credit should go to a 2019 defense that was significantly better than its 2018 counterpart?

I will be surprised if we do not have a better year than many of you expect unless major player are injured. The two new cuordinators (spelling) are the best in the business.

This article is further proof nobody at this site has a freaking clue what’s going on.
Time to get some sources.
We’re all here for the banter amongst ourselves and not for the information from inside the program. Hate away I don’t give a crap.
Better sources can’t predict the future accurately. That’s what we’re doing, predicting the future, and nobody is any good at that. Some will turn out to have made accurate predictions, yes, but injuries, turnovers, and Covid are not predictable with better sources.

Reactions: coopdog
This article is further proof nobody at this site has a freaking clue what’s going on.
Time to get some sources.
We’re all here for the banter amongst ourselves and not for the information from inside the program. Hate away I don’t give a crap.

I don't disagree with you, but I want to point out that all the insider info we've heard over the last 3 years has been bubble gum, bull$shit, sunshine and koolaid. I would opt more for an introspective look at how things are really are (Ketchum calling a 7-3 outcome if that is what he believes) even if we end up venting and calling him names in the short term.

Reactions: coopdog
How much credit was it the offensive gurus in Gundy/Day vs. Yurcich? And why did no one hire Coleman when he was let go if he’s that in good?
I love Yurcich ( and Ash) but that’s the argument you’ll see . I can’t wait for Saturday.
Well Coleman was leaving an OC position and he is now a wr’s coach. Not sure he was willing to take a position coaching wr’s back then. I also don’t know what his contract stated if he got another OC coaching job would he still get his buyout if he took anything other than analyst job I don’t know. Look at offensive improvements when he came on board both places is all I can say. Only their coaching staffs truly know what goes on behind the scenes and on the headsets. However I have not heard anything but glaring positive reviews since he joined our staff. Hard to imagine it not being an upgrade over the playcalling the last few seasons

Reactions: horns--21
And that credit goes to Yurcich, a guy that ranked third on the depth chart at OC?

Also, I'm not sure that going from 42 to 46 points is taking it to the next level. It's the same top of the food chain level.

How much of the credit should go to a 2019 defense that was significantly better than its 2018 counterpart?
I think as qb coach he has to get some credit with Fields coming in and them seeing improvements over Haskins who lit up the year before. The offense was also a little more balanced. I could also point to Ok St offense seeing improvements when he came on board there. As I said in a previous post to another guy we don’t know what goes on behind the scenes or on the headsets so it’s a little hard to attribute proper recognition. That being said everywhere he has gone we have seen offenses get better. I’ve heard nothing but glaring reviews since he came on board here. I’m a believer, are you not?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT