ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (The nine-letter dirty word)

Originally posted by Don Brodka:
Did you really see that going any other way? Mourinho thrives in these games. Go Blues!

Next up is Arsenal. They win that one or tie they will be unbeaten against the Top 4 this year.

You should watch that one Ketch for the game but also because Mourinho and Wenger hate each other. Got into a funny confrontation the last time the two played.
This post was edited on 4/20 8:34 AM by Don Brodka
I have no pre-disposition to anything I watch in the EPL. It's all new to me.

Originally posted by ball911:

Originally posted by BurnleyFC:
It looks like a 5-7 type of season is a very real possibility. I don't ever recall having such little talent combined with glaring deficiencies at so many key positions on any team before. OL, DL, QB, WR, ST and possibly RB are all light years behind where the need to be.
You sir are correct. Look at Ketch's review of 2012...15, count'em 15....transfers out of the program. Right now the program basically didn't recruit in the year that should be the core of the current program. Just a total f'ed up disaster!
^^^^^^^^^
Totally gets it.

Originally posted by Don Brodka:
Originally posted by Ketchum:

Originally posted by HookemUK:
Damn, Ketch, you've really embraced that Liverpool-supporter malaise like a child embraces their teddy bear... I'm going to type this only one last time - that is, it's not too late to switch your loyalty to another EPL club... Ketch, following a new sport, especially from such a great distance, should be fun - not painful... My fear for you is that it won't get any better because, well, Liverpool just simply isn't a big club anymore... They're based in a terrible city that nobody of quality really wants to play in - and that's a simple fact... Basically, they are the Cleveland Browns of the NFL... Therefore, instead of being content every season to battle with the Tottenham's and the Everton's of the league for fourth spot, why not begin supporting a big club - like Manchester United (especially while they're rebuilding) - and have a little fun... You can be sure that ManU will open the checkbook again this offseason, so even better times are ahead... Again, you're too new of an EPL fan to support a has-been team like Liverpool - you'll be off the bandwagon and off European football entirely by your third year at this rate... Signed, A very content Chelsea supporter...
I can't bail now. If my fate is to forever live in disappointment, then so be it. I'm attached.
You know that all too well being a 76er fan.
ding-ding-o.gif

Originally posted by Baguette:
In other words, Ketch, the offense, is pretty much a mess, right!? Lol
It's not in glorious shape.

Ketch, I agree about Catalon. Have not seen much about him, but I concur completely. He has the cuts and burst in small spaces to make a difference and be the type of back this offense needs. 3rd down back is great call.

2012 (8/15/11-8/14/12)

(15) Eryon Barnett (transfer), Taylor Bible (transfer), Nolan Brewster (injuries), De'Aires Cotton (medical), Garrett Gilbert (transfer), Calvin Howell (transfer), Dravannti Johnson (retired), Chris Jones (transfer), Dominique Jones (transfer), Paden Kelley (retired), Traylon Shead (transfer), Darius Terrell (transfer), A.J. White (transfer), Darius White (transfer) and Connor Wood (transfer)

2014 (8/15/13-8/14/14)

(13) Aaron Benson (transfer), Joe Bergeron (transfer), Josh Cochran (injuries), Chevoski Collins (dismissed), Deoundrei Davis (transfer), Bryant Jackson (medical), Montrell Meander (dismissed), Chet Moss (dismissed), Jalen Overstreet (dismissed), Kendall Sanders (dismissed), Leroy Scott (dismissed), Kevin Shorter (injuries) and Kendall Thompson (injuries)

This is similar to another post in this thread, but you look at departure of 15 players in 2012 and 13 in 2014, and that is just some bottom-line awful recruiting by Mack Brown and staff.

Darius White ended up being pretty good at Missouri, but did transferring change the fortunes of any of the others?

Among the dismissals, Kendall Sanders might really be contributing some much-needed playmaking ability to the offense right now. Possibly Montrell Meander as well. And Deoundrei Davis might be helping at linebacker (although he was a serious knucklehead), but what could really be expected from any of the others?

That is just a whole bunch of guys who just couldn't play well enough to make a difference. And there are still more to transition out! And, even worse, at this point, Charlie Strong has no choice but to play some of the other examples of less-than-sterling recruiting (see the offensive line and linebacker).

Mack really left Charlie a turd salad.

The depth on this team is just gutted by the 2012 and 2014 attrition, and correcting it (I never want to hear "fix it" again) is going to require a youth movement.

Unless some players step forward and play at unexpectedly high levels, 7-5 is a sound prediction for 2015.

Swoopes will start against ND on the road at night to start the season, he will do Swoopes things, and we will never hear from him again.

I'd say he's the second-most explosive runner option the team has had at quarterback (behind Vince Young) in the last 25 years. Yes, he's more explosive/quicker than James Brown.
With all due respect to Bobby Layne, Duke Carlisle, James Street, and Donnie Little, I think it's safe to say that if he's the 2nd most explosive running QB of the last 25 years, he's the 2nd most explosive all time.

Originally posted by In Stink:

The depth on this team is just gutted by the 2012 and 2014 attrition, and correcting it (I never want to hear "fix it" again) is going to require a youth movement.

Unless some players step forward and play at unexpectedly high levels, 7-5 is a sound prediction for 2015.
Ironically, few seem willing to accept the reality to the extent that they'll cut Strong any slack.

Honestly, I apologize for not seeing this as something to inspect earlier because it's at the root of what Strong is working with.

Originally posted by TMHorns72:
Swoopes will start against ND on the road at night to start the season, he will do Swoopes things, and we will never hear from him again.
Never?

That's not very realistic. The left tackle position is going to get one or both of the quarterbacks killed this season.

I have only seen a little bit of the Spring Game. Who are the receivers who did not get much of a chance that Ketch was alluding to?

I did see Dorian Leonard drop a nice pass from TS in the end zone, and I did see Daje Johnson turn the ball over twice. That's the sum of my wide receiver recollections.

It's going to be a long season if Hutchins remains the starting LT. Is Clarington's now fully qualified---hope we are not getting excited for a disappointment.

Originally posted by tummer:

I'd say he's the second-most explosive runner option the team has had at quarterback (behind Vince Young) in the last 25 years. Yes, he's more explosive/quicker than James Brown.
With all due respect to Bobby Layne, Duke Carlisle, James Street, and Donnie Little, I think it's safe to say that if he's the 2nd most explosive running QB of the last 25 years, he's the 2nd most explosive all time.
That's very possible.

Originally posted by Ralphie369:
It's going to be a long season if Hutchins remains the starting LT. Is Clarington's now fully qualified---hope we are not getting excited for a disappointment.
Clarington isn't there yet. He'll have to finish out the semester, perhaps with flying colors.

Originally posted by J_Rob:
Would David Ash not be included (injury)?
No, because he was already a senior.
NO, HE WAS NOT. Ash got his junior year back with a medical redshirt. He was also listed as a junior in the game day roster for the first game last year (which I am looking at right now). Just this past week in some article, or maybe it was in a Strong PC, it was talked about that the coaches expected to have Ash for two years.

Originally posted by TheProfiler:

Originally posted by J_Rob:
Would David Ash not be included (injury)?
No, because he was already a senior.
NO, HE WAS NOT. Ash got his junior year back with a medical redshirt. He was also listed as a junior in the game day roster for the first game last year (which I am looking at right now). Just this past week in some article, or maybe it was in a Strong PC, it was talked about that the coaches expected to have Ash for two years.
You are correct. I forgot that he received that medical redshirt before his senior season had completed.

Never?

That's not very realistic. The left tackle position is going to get one or both of the quarterbacks killed this season.
Assuming Heard stays healthy was implied. Obviously if he gets injured we will be forced back into the Swoopes experience.

I added Ash to the 2015 attirion numbers. Boy, that class is going to be approaching double digits fairly quickly it would seem.

Prediction 101:
Swoops will start again against the Irish, but will falter badly , and thus turn the reins over to Heard for the rest of the season.

At first glance it almost seems like Bobby Kennedy had more players transfer than he did graduate. That is a staggering body count for his position. BTW, I just looked him up to find out he is at Iowa.

What about Harrison? Maybe I missed his name, but he should be included in the 15 attrition group.

Originally posted by revbill46:
What about Harrison? Maybe I missed his name, but he should be included in the 15 attrition group.
I guess not as he was a senior in the year he flaked out.

Ketch -- are you or Alex doing a review of each Offensive lineman? In particular, I would like to know if Hutchins, Flowers,
Doyle and Perkins were any better Saturday than they were against Arkansas.

Won't mention any names since most people don't like that, but I'm hoping for 5+ guys to jump ship.

Less Mack, more Strong. And I'd love to use some extra 'ships in the '16 class.

Never?

Assuming Heard stays healthy was implied. Obviously if he gets injured we will be forced back into the Swoopes experience.
I suppose I'm projecting more of a back and forth than many would prefer. I can't give this OL the benefit of the doubt with either guy over 12 games. I don't think there's a "never hear from again" option with this season.

Originally posted by dunemessiah:
At first glance it almost seems like Bobby Kennedy had more players transfer than he did graduate. That is a staggering body count for his position. BTW, I just looked him up to find out he is at Iowa.
His career at Texas probably wouldn't be summed up in nice words.

Great dude, but his results post-2005 were a big part of the problem.

Originally posted by revbill46:
Oh man, you're right. Good grief. That's 7.

Ironically, few seem willing to accept the reality to the extent that they'll cut Strong any slack.

Honestly, I apologize for not seeing this as something to inspect earlier because it's at the root of what Strong is working with.

Perhaps more people will come around when they digest those numbers.

There do seem to be an awful lot of people who subscribe to the notion that if Charlie Strong is an elite coach, then he'll get 10 wins in season 2, circumstances be damned. A subsection of this seems to think that Mack actually left Charlie a fairly well-stocked cupboard.

You could also take the work you've already done (the year in which the attrition occurred) and break it down by recruiting class...maybe just for the last 3-4 years, so that we can really see the depletion in talent and seniority.

Just want to throw in my 2 cents...

I'm not that worried about Swoopes' INT (looked to me like defensive PI, not a bad throw). But what scared the hell out of me was a play where the left DE (40 Naashon Hughes iirc) came unblocked straight into Swoopes' face. He held up and Swoopes threw it away a half-beat later, but in real play that is a likely sack/fumble and quite possibly a scoop and score for the D. Worst part is it wasn't blind side - Swoopes just had his tunnel vision turned downfield and didn't appear to notice Hughes until he was on him. That terrifies me - we cannot live with a QB maing big, unnecessary negative plays.

On the flip side I liked a couple of Heard's blitz read/reactions. He still looks confused at times, but at least seemed to have a little awareness of what the D was doing pre-snap.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT