ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (The reality of where Texas stands heading into 2020...)

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001

ee0e3a40b744e2eebc3b4d949eaa9055x.jpg

After a weekend of watching the best that college football has to offer, I've got a little bit of a reality check for all of you.

Texas has a long way to go before it is worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as the likes of LSU, Clemson and Ohio State - teams absolutely capable of winning a national championship. Those three teams don't just have more talent than Texas. Those three teams don't just have better coaching. Or elite quarterback play.

Those three teams have all three. At once.

As we wait for Tom Herman to put the finishing touches on his off-season overhaul of the program, Saturday served as a reminder that adding a couple of new coordinators and position coaches to the mix isn't going to cut it by itself.

Just look at Oklahoma.

The five-time-champions-and-counting keep winning the Big 12 behind great quarterback play and coaching, but yet they keep getting treated like a rag-doll once they attempt to take the next step. Four times OU has been in the playoffs this decade and four times it has been dismissed by teams that are better pound for pound all over the field. If you take Oklahoma's five best players and match them up with the likes of LSU, the difference between the two teams is marginal, yet if you match up the top 20 players on each team, a sizable difference emerges.

I say that with the full acknowledgement that Oklahoma has a sizable difference in talent when compared to the Texas Longhorns, at least if we look at this year's all-Big 12 teams, which featured a total of two first-team players in burnt orange and only four out of 63 players that were recognized by the conference.

By comparison, Oklahoma had 11 of 63 players and it still continues to look completely in over its head when it gets to elite competition in late December/early January.

Meanwhile, it's impossible to discount what truly elite quarterback play means in this sport. The Sooners actually came into the playoffs with the Heisman runner-up at quarterback, but once you took Jalen Hurts out of the Big 12, Hurts completed 15 of 31 passes for 217 yards, zero touchdowns and an interception. The difference between Hurts and LSU's Joe Burrow was similar to the difference between the Grand Canyon and Brushy Creek.

Don't bother talking about what happened in September between Texas and LSU because the Tigers are sharpened steel at this point in the season, light years ahead of where they were early in the season when their defense was depending on Burrow to do all the heavy lifting.

There are two gigantic steps the Longhorns need to make and neither are automatic at this point.

First, the Longhorns have to find a way to dethrone Oklahoma.

Second, the Longhorns have to figure out a way to build a team that can compete with the true big boys in a conference that doesn't really prepare them for that. It's more than finding a way to stop playing footsy with the likes of Iowa State. It's finding a way to beat the teams that beat the crap out of them once the bowl season rolls around.

The hope has to be that Herman's hires close the gap in the coaching capacity, but there's still 2/3 of the equation that need to be addressed and it's going to take time.

And a lot more Bijan Robinsons.

No. 2 - My final movie metaphor of the decade...

Here's the first section in the form of a Thornton Melon diatribe.

No. 3 - Grading the Yurcich hire...

I'd give it a rock solid B.

I can't give it an A because that grade needs to be reserved for dudes that arrive with wallets in their pocket that read "Bad MF" across the front of them. After all, he didn't call plays at Ohio State this year and that's the kind of thing that needs to exist if you're going to get an A.

That being said, he checks a lot of boxes, important boxes in the mind of Tom Herman.

Play calling experience? Check.

Big 12 experience? Check.

A history of big-time quarterback development? Check.

The ability to come in and seamlessly adjust and improve what's in place? Possible check.

More than anything, the big takeaway from my perspective is that Texas has upgraded at both coordinator positions. Mike Yurcich >>> Tim Beck and Chris Ash >> Todd Orlando.

In the quest to take the next step as a program, those two improvements are pretty massive deals.

No. 4 - With Ash and Yurcich locked in as the new coordinators ...

Here's how I'd fill out the staff if I was calling the shots, assuming Stan Drayton, Herb Hand and Oscar Giles are the coaches on the staff that are safe.

Quarterbacks: Mike Yurcich

Running backs: Stan Drayton

Wide Receivers: Emmett Jones (Kansas) - The former Texas Tech player formerly coached in the DISD for more than a decade at Lincoln, Skyline and Oak Cliff and has made a name for himself as a recruiter for the Jayhawks.

Tight Ends: Tim Brewster (North Carolina) - I know Herman passed on Brewster before, but it's time to correct that mistake and bring back the recruiting rainmaker to Austin. Brewster's been dreaming of a return top Austin for more than a decade. I'd make it happen.

Offensive Line: Herb Hand

Defensive Tackles: Todd Bates (Clemson) - In addition to being a sensational recruiter for the Tigers, he's also one hell of a developer of talent. Considering he's making only $375,000 per year (less than Derek Warehime) the Longhorns could more than double his salary in an attempt to bring the former Alabama player to the Big 12. Give him a fancy co-defensive coordinator title if you need to. I'd contend he'd be just as big of an addition as adding Ash.

Defensive Ends: Oscar Giles

Linebackers: Tyson Veidt (Iowa State) - Has emerged as one of the nation's top linebacker coaches over the course of the four years with the Cyclones. A former finalist for the Broyles Award.

Defensive Backs: Chris Ash

Special Teams: John Fassel (LA Rams) - Coaches always talk about special teams being critically important, but then they hire someone with marginal experience (see Texas) to head up those units. Go to the NFL, hire an expert, pay him a lot of cash and let him make this third phase of the game an absolute strength. If not Fassel, then someone else. There are about to be a lot of unemployed NFL coaches on the streets just waiting for a new gig.

With the money Texas spends on assistant coaches, it should have one of the best coaching staffs in the country. Use that money to go out and get elite coaches and not just a way to hook up everyone you've worked with over the last 20 years.

No. 5a - Just a heads up ...

The Alamo Bowl is in two days.

I don't know that I'm picking the Longhorns to beat Utah, but as the game gets closer I can't help but be reminded of Tom Herman's record when he's an underdog.

I was thinking Utah in a 34-24 type of game when the announcement of the game was made, but I'm starting to think the Longhorns might take this one to the wire.

No. 5b - Sam flirting with the NFL?

On a scale of 1-10, I think the chance of Sam Ehlinger leaving early for the NFL is probably at a 2.

He's just not ready, and frankly, he's not good enough yet to be more than a mid-round candidate.

No. 6 - Five Thoughts on This Weekend's Playoff Games ...

a. I don't think Joe Burrow is the best college quarterback that I've ever seen, but he might be having the greatest season of any quarterback the sport has ever seen. He could have had 10 touchdown passes against the Sooners if the Tigers had wanted him to. Absolutely incredible.

Just look at this turnaround from a year ago (courtesy of @CS)
EDuvKW2WkAI0P4y

b. Jalen Hurts is not going to have a very long NFL career if he intends to stick it out at quarterback. I've come around on the critique that he struggles with being asked to make multiple reads and the NFL is all about making multiple reads and making throws from the pocket.

c. I hated the targeting call that changed the Ohio State/Clemson game. What's a defender to do when an offensive player ducks into a hit in a flash? At the very least, college football needs to create two variations of targeting, one that keeps a player in the game and one that warrants an ejection. That play on Saturday night did not warrant an ejection.

d. Speaking of officiating, the Clemson receiver caught the ball, took four steps with the ball under his control and then fumbled. It was a fumble. Man, Ohio State was on the rough end of some calls.

e. Joe Burrow vs. Trevor Lawrence is going to be some kind of championship game quarterback match-up. I like LSU by 10.

No. 7 – BUY or SELL …
BUY-SELL.gif

11 regular season wins is a good bar for 2020?
(Buy) For Clemson or Alabama?

Baylor and/or Oklahoma have new head coaches in 2020?
(Sell) I'd put money on Lincoln Riley returning.

A Big 12 team wins the playoff in the next 10 years.
(Buy) Sure, why not? Actually, don't answer that question. Let's just believe in Santa and we'll will it to come true.

Our running game improves significantly, we rush for 2,300 yards or an average of 191 per game. Sam passes for 3,800 yards.
(Sell) I'm not sure Sam hits 3,800 yards, but I might buy the rest.

The following just about sums it up (from ESPN via Associated Press)

"The Tigers' potent spread offense made this one look much like the Harlem Globetrotters carving up the Washington Generals, only it was the Sooners playing the hapless victim."

Joe Burrow will likely end up with the Bengals but his current Bengal team is actually the better team.
(Sell) The Bengals would smash the Tigers.

It’s time for Texas and Oklahoma to start kicking the tires on a new conference home due to the Big 12 being an albatross around their necks?
(Sell) Its past time.

Herman is getting two more years barring complete disaster next year which I’m defining as 7-5 or worse.
(Buy) That's about right.

The Big XII gets shut out in bowl games
(Sell) Someone has to win one, right?

CDC has had the “cut all the immaturity crap and represent the university with class” conversation with TH.
(Buy) I'd bet a hundo it happened after the double middle-finger salute.

B/S: Texas fires Herman at the end of the 21 season. Herman is hired by Saban and is the Bama OC when UT and Bama play their home and home series. (Of course, this is making the assumption that Saban is still coaching)
(Sell) Saban will aim higher.

Bijan makes an immediate impact in 2020 - similar to Jammal Charles.
(Buy) That seems about exactly right.

Dabo is most underrated coach of the past 10 years.
(Sell) How is he underrated? He's viewed as a top 3 head coach in the country.

4 team playoff > 8 team playoff
(Sell) Give me more games. Is a 32-team NCAA Tournament better than a 64-team NCAA Tournament?

On a scale of one to 10, Yurcich is a damn good hire?
(Buy) Damn good, but not great.

Yurich will be our Joe Brady. Maybe not as an elite offense but makes Herman look better as a coach like Brady has with Ed O
(Sell) If he's UT's version of Joe Brady, that would mean he's great.

OB members have a short memory and most posters will have Texas with a 10 plus win season next year. (No we won't).
(Buy) Of course.

No. 8 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

... Please, God, let the Jason Garrett era in Dallas be over. After nine seasons, we're talking about a coach that missed the playoffs six times and won two damn playoff games. I've had enough of the clapping.

... Michael gallup is a bad mother and is only gping to get better. He's the highlight of the season for me.

... Man, Derick Roberson has had some kind of end to the 2019 season.

... Ok, Andrew Beck, I see you.

... I don't know about the rest of you, but I enjoyed Baker Mayfield's second season in the NFL.

... Ryan Fitzpatrick grabbing a playoff bye away from Tom Brady and the Patriots in the final seconds in Foxborough is surely a sign that the apocalypse is upon us.

... At his zenith, Aaron Rodgers is the best quarterback my eyes have ever seen, but that zenith was a while back and he's nowhere near elite at this stage of his career.

... Derrick Henry is a bad man.

... Of course, Jameis Winston's season ended with him throwing a pick-six in overtime. Of course.

... Liverpool has won 82 of its last 84 possible points in Premier League play. The Reds might be replacing the 1992 Cowboys as the greatest team if my lifetime as a professional sports fan. I couldn't possibly love them more.

... Prediction for the end of the season EPL standings: 1. Liverpool 2. Man City 3. Leicester City 4. Wolves 5. Tottenham 6. Chelsea 7. Manchester United

No. 9 - The List: Top 10 TV Shows of the Decade ...

Let's end this bad boy with some good pop culture arguing.

10. Fleabag
9. Boardwalk Empire
8. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
7. Better Call Saul
6. True Dectetive
5. Watchmen
4. Veep
3. Parks and Rec
2. Game of Thrones
1. Breaking Bad

No.10 - And finally...

On behalf of everyone who had to endure this decade of Texas Longhorns athletics, I say good riddance to the 2010s.

Here's to a hell of a lot better decade than the last one.

You think Brewster leaves Mack at this stage of his career?

I’d love it, but don’t see him leaving.

Reactions: teyon shoes
So I understand if you’re calling the shots, it’s a new staff but do you really think that happens? Outside of the safe coaches no one else stays?

I get it, it may happen, but as a San Antonio guy myself I hate to see Jason Washington go. Hell even Beck who I felt outside of Carrington is the best recruiter might stay on board.

I Hear Voices said:
The following just about sums it up (from ESPN via Associated Press)

"The Tigers' potent spread offense made this one look much like the Harlem Globetrotters carving up the Washington Generals, only it was the Sooners playing the hapless victim."

Joe Burrow will likely end up with the Bengals but his current Bengal team is actually the better team.

can we stop comparing great college teams with a few future pros to NFL teams with 52 pros that are grown a$$ men

One of the craziest things about 2019 is I remember LSU being the more seasoned team going into our game and LSU fans being surprised we hung with them. I heard some say they wouldn’t want to play us again in the playoffs. You would think it would be Texas with all the room to improve, especially on defense. The exact opposite happened, and LSU is now playing unstoppable while we are unranked. If that’s not an indictment of our staff I don’t know what is.

ee0e3a40b744e2eebc3b4d949eaa9055x.jpg

After a weekend of watching the best that college football has to offer, I've got a little bit of a reality check for all of you.

Texas has a long way to go before it is worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as the likes of LSU, Clemson and Ohio State - teams absolutely capable of winning a national championship. Those three teams don't just have more talent than Texas. Those three teams don't just have better coaching. Or elite quarterback play.

As we wait for Tom Herman to put the finishing touches on his off-season overhaul of the program, Saturday served as a reminder that adding a couple of new coordinators and position coaches to the mix isn't going to cut it by itself.

Just look at Oklahoma.

The five-time-champions-and-counting keep winning the Big 12 behind great quarterback play and coaching, but yet they keep getting treated like a rag-doll once they attempt to take the next step. Four times OU has been in the playoffs this decade and four times it has been dismissed by teams that are better pound for pound all over the field. If you take Oklahoma's five best players and match them up with the likes of LSU, the difference between the two teams is marginal, yet if you match up the top 20 players on each team, a sizable difference emerges.

I say that with the full acknowledgement that Oklahoma has a sizable difference in talent when compared to the Texas Longhorns, at least if we look at this year's all-Big 12 teams, which featured a total of two first-team players in burnt orange and only four out of 63 players that were recognized by the conference.

By comparison, Oklahoma had 11 of 63 players and it still continues to look completely in over its head when it gets to elite competition in late December/early January.

Meanwhile, it's impossible to discount what truly elite quarterback play means in this sport. The Sooners actually came into the playoffs with the Heisman runner-up at quarterback, but once you took Jalen Hurts out of the Big 12, Hurts completed 15 of 31 passes for 217 yards, zero touchdowns and an interception. The difference between Hurts and LSU's Joe Burrow was similar to the difference between the Grand Canyon and Brushy Creek.

Don't bother talking about what happened in September between Texas and LSU because the Tigers are sharpened steel at this point in the season, light years ahead of where they were early in the season when their defense was depending on Burrow to do all the heavy lifting.

There are two gigantic steps the Longhorns need to make and neither are automatic at this point.

First, the Longhorns have to find a way to dethrone Oklahoma.

Second, the Longhorns have to figure out a way to build a team that can compete with the true big boys in a conference that doesn't really prepare them for that. It's more than finding a way to stop playing footsy with the likes of Iowa State. It's finding a way to beat the teams that beat the crap out of them once the bowl season rolls around.

The hope has to be that Herman's hires close the gap in the coaching capacity, but there's still 2/3 of the equation that need to be addressed and it's going to take time.

And a lot more Bijan Robinsons.

No. 2 - My final movie metaphor of the decade...

Here's the first section in the form of a Thornton Melon diatribe.

No. 3 - Grading the Yurcich hire...

I'd give it a rock solid B.

I can't give it an A because that grade needs to be reserved for dudes that arrive with wallets in their pocket that read "Bad MF" across the front of them. After all, he didn't call plays at Ohio State this year and that's the kind of thing that needs to exist if you're going to get an A.

That being said, he checks a lot of boxes, important boxes in the mind of Tom Herman.

Play calling experience? Check.

Big 12 experience? Check.

A history of big-time quarterback development? Check.

The ability to come in and seamlessly adjust and improve what's in place? Possible check.

More than anything, the big takeaway from my perspective is that Texas has upgraded at both coordinator positions. Mike Yurcich >>> Tim Beck and Chris Ash >> Todd Orlando.

In the quest to take the next step as a program, those two improvements are pretty massive deals.

No. 4 - With Ash and Yurcich locked in as the new coordinators ...

Here's how I'd fill out the staff if I was calling the shots, assuming Stan Drayton, Herb Hand and Oscar Giles are the coaches on the staff that are safe.

Quarterbacks: Mike Yurcich

Running backs: Stan Drayton

Wide Receivers: Emmett Jones (Kansas) - The former Texas Tech player formerly coached in the DISD for more than a decade at Lincoln, Skyline and Oak Cliff and has made a name for himself as a recruiter for the Jayhawks.

Tight Ends: Tim Brewster (North Carolina) - I know Herman passed on Brewster before, but it's time to correct that mistake and bring back the recruiting rainmaker to Austin. Brewster's been dreaming of a return top Austin for more than a decade. I'd make it happen.

Offensive Line: Herb Hand

Defensive Tackles: Todd Bates (Clemson) - In addition to being a sensational recruiter for the Tigers, he's also one hell of a developer of talent. Considering he's making only $375,000 per year (less than Derek Warehime) the Longhorns could more than double his salary in an attempt to bring the former Alabama player to the Big 12. Give him a fancy co-defensive coordinator title if you need to. I'd contend he'd be just as big of an addition as adding Ash.

Defensive Ends: Oscar Giles

Linebackers: Tyson Veidt (Iowa State) - Has emerged as one of the nation's top linebacker coaches over the course of the four years with the Cyclones. A former finalist for the Broyles Award.

Defensive Backs: Chris Ash

Special Teams: John Fassel (LA Rams) - Coaches always talk about special teams being critically important, but then they hire someone with marginal experience (see Texas) to head up those units. Go to the NFL, hire an expert, pay him a lot of cash and let him make this third phase of the game an absolute strength. If not Fassel, then someone else. There are about to be a lot of unemployed NFL coaches on the streets just waiting for a new gig.

With the money Texas spends on assistant coaches, it should have one of the best coaching staffs in the country. Use that money to go out and get elite coaches and not just a way to hook up everyone you've worked with over the last 20 years.

No. 5a - Just a heads up ...

The Alamo Bowl is in two days.

I don't know that I'm picking the Longhorns to beat Utah, but as the game gets closer I can't help but be reminded of Tom Herman's record when he's an underdog.

I was thinking Utah in a 34-24 type of game when the announcement of the game was made, but I'm starting to think the Longhorns might take this one to the wire.

No. 5b - Sam flirting with the NFL?

On a scale of 1-10, I think the chance of Sam Ehlinger leaving early for the NFL is probably at a 2.

He's just not ready, and frankly, he's not good enough yet to be more than a mid-round candidate.

No. 6 - Five Thoughts on This Weekend's Playoff Games ...

a. I don't think Joe Burrow is the best college quarterback that I've ever seen, but he might be having the greatest season of any quarterback the sport has ever seen. He could have had 10 touchdown passes against the Sooners if the Tigers had wanted him to. Absolutely incredible.

Just look at this turnaround from a year ago (courtesy of @CS)
EDuvKW2WkAI0P4y

b. Jalen Hurts is not going to have a very long NFL career if he intends to stick it out at quarterback. I've come around on the critique that he struggles with being asked to make multiple reads and the NFL is all about making multiple reads and making throws from the pocket.

c. I hated the targeting call that changed the Ohio State/Clemson game. What's a defender to do when an offensive player ducks into a hit in a flash? At the very least, college football needs to create two variations of targeting, one that keeps a player in the game and one that warrants an ejection. That play on Saturday night did not warrant an ejection.

d. Speaking of officiating, the Clemson receiver caught the ball, took four steps with the ball under his control and then fumbled. It was a fumble. Man, Ohio State was on the rough end of some calls.

e. Joe Burrow vs. Trevor Lawrence is going to be some kind of championship game quarterback match-up. I like LSU by 10.

No. 7 – BUY or SELL …
BUY-SELL.gif

(Buy) For Clemson or Alabama?

(Sell) I'd put money on Lincoln Riley returning.

(Buy) Sure, why not? Actually, don't answer that question. Let's just believe in Santa and we'll will it to come true.

(Sell) I'm not sure Sam hits 3,800 yards, but I might buy the rest.

(Sell) The Bengals would smash the Tigers.

(Sell) Its past time.

(Buy) That's about right.

(Sell) Someone has to win one, right?

(Buy) I'd bet a hundo it happened after the double middle-finger salute.

(Sell) Saban will aim higher.

(Buy) That seems about exactly right.

(Sell) How is he underrated? He's viewed as a top 3 head coach in the country.

(Sell) Give me more games. Is a 32-team NCAA Tournament better than a 64-team NCAA Tournament?

(Buy) Damn good, but not great.

(Sell) If he's UT's version of Joe Brady, that would mean he's great.

(Buy) Of course.

No. 8 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

... Please, God, let the Jason Garrett era in Dallas be over. After nine seasons, we're talking about a coach that missed the playoffs six times and won two damn playoff games. I've had enough of the clapping.

... Michael gallup is a bad mother and is only gping to get better. He's the highlight of the season for me.

... Man, Derick Roberson has had some kind of end to the 2019 season.

... Ok, Andrew Beck, I see you.

... I don't know about the rest of you, but I enjoyed Baker Mayfield's second season in the NFL.

... Ryan Fitzpatrick grabbing a playoff bye away from Tom Brady and the Patriots in the final seconds in Foxborough is surely a sign that the apocalypse is upon us.

... At his zenith, Aaron Rodgers is the best quarterback my eyes have ever seen, but that zenith was a while back and he's nowhere near elite at this stage of his career.

... Derrick Henry is a bad man.

... Of course, Jameis Winston's season ended with him throwing a pick-six in overtime. Of course.

... Liverpool has won 82 of its last 84 possible points in Premier League play. The Reds might be replacing the 1992 Cowboys as the greatest team if my lifetime as a professional sports fan. I couldn't possibly love them more.

... Prediction for the end of the season EPL standings: 1. Liverpool 2. Man City 3. Leicester City 4. Wolves 5. Tottenham 6. Chelsea 7. Manchester United

No. 9 - The List: Top 10 TV Shows of the Decade ...

Let's end this bad boy with some good pop culture arguing.

10. Fleabag
9. Boardwalk Empire
8. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
7. Better Call Saul
6. True Dectetive
5. Watchmen
4. Veep
3. Parks and Rec
2. Game of Thrones
1. Breaking Bad

No.10 - And finally...

On behalf of everyone who had to endure this decade of Texas Longhorns athletics, I say good riddance to the 2010s.

Here's to a hell of a lot better decade than the last one.
Amen to No. 10!

Just look at Oklahoma.

This conversation goes back to the column you had a few weeks back about how not all 4 stars are created equal. The difference between Oklahoma and LSU/Clemson/Ohio St are the 5.9/6.0/6.1 players on defense they have vs the other three schools. OU has about 1/2 of that tier of talent as those other schools. The state of Texas will produce the defensive backs you need to acquire that talent, but not sure about front 6 talent. Herman will need to go out West or SEC country to get that talent.

Amen, amen.

But if they had to miss to calls like that, I'm okay with it being against OSU.

So I understand if you’re calling the shots, it’s a new staff but do you really think that happens? Outside of the safe coaches no one else stays?

I get it, it may happen, but as a San Antonio guy myself I hate to see Jason Washington go. Hell even Beck who I felt outside of Carrington is the best recruiter might stay on board.
No, I don't believe it happens.

"Coaches always talk about special teams being critically important, but then they hire someone with marginal experience (see Texas) to head up those units. Go to the NFL, hire an expert, pay him a lot of cash and let him make this third phase of the game an absolute strength. If not Fassel, then someone else."

Totally agree. If we don't come out of this coaching staff shuffle with a real, dedicated special teams coach, I am going to consider it a failure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT