ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (The Women of the SEC)

Ummmm whachoo watching Willis? It was flipping horrible. I would have rather watched Sarah Silverman and Stupid Pet Tricks. I think Usher is great, but that was meh! Maybe it was because it was super similar to his Vegas Residency routine. Or maybe it was all just flat. Only the ending was decent. I am rooting for Taylor to do it next year
Most people I know were entertained. 🤷‍♂️

Great thoughts @Ketchum. Some thoughts I have are as follows:

1. Aggy having their highest ranking female being the Administrative Assistant to Elko is laughable. I would bet that every team in the SEC has a female Administrative Assistant to the HC. SMH.

2. How did Mater Dei ever lose a game last year? That program is crazy loaded.

3. I like watching a little of the women's softball team. Reese Atwood went to my HS (Corpus Christi Tuloso-Midway) and I like seeing kids from South Texas do well. Unfortunately we don't have may people from TMISD do good things on the big stage.

4. ALS is brutal and McMichael is a literal shell of himself. @RLong68 and myself lost a very good and close friend (UT alum) to ALS last Easter Sunday. My better half lost her mother to ALS 2 years ago tomorrow. ALS is worse than cancer IMO and I lost my father to cancer.

Reactions: Dal_Horn
Romo calls him the Michael Jordan of the sport and he's not wrong.
Tom Brady is the MJ of football. That irked me when Romo said that. Everyone is getting carried away with recency bias. I heard one reporter repeat that Mahomes ceiling was Brady. I’m cool with that. But I’m betting Joe Burrow comes back healthy and swipes a couple SBs from Mahomes.

Tom Brady is the MJ of football. That irked me when Romo said that. Everyone is getting carried away with recency bias. I heard one reporter repeat that Mahomes ceiling was Brady. I’m cool with that. But I’m betting Joe Burrow comes back healthy and swipes a couple SBs from Mahomes.
Brady = Kareem

No. 4 - Mongo Immortalized ...

Earl Campbell. Bobby Dillon. Tom Landry. Bobby Layne.

While Landry was a very good pro player in the 50s, the truth is that he made the NFL primarily for his accomplishes as a coach, which means that McMichael and Dillon are the only two former Texas defensive players to make the HOF for their exploits as a player.

I assume thats a typo? While I love Earl, Bobby Layne is Texas most successful pro player of all time and its not really close (at least of the ones you listed above, if not all).

3 championships. All decade QB. First team all pro twice. When he retired he held the NFL record for basically everything QB related. (He was in the HOF 5 years after he retired. Not sure any of the above did that.)

Is there a doubt? And he was WAY better as a pro than at Texas.

Some can't. Some women can't.

It's human nature.
Season 9 Nbc GIF by The Office

Great thoughts @Ketchum. Some thoughts I have are as follows:

1. Aggy having their highest ranking female being the Administrative Assistant to Elko is laughable. I would bet that every team in the SEC has a female Administrative Assistant to the HC. SMH.

2. How did Mater Dei ever lose a game last year? That program is crazy loaded.

3. I like watching a little of the women's softball team. Reese Atwood went to my HS (Corpus Christi Tuloso-Midway) and I like seeing kids from South Texas do well. Unfortunately we don't have may people from TMISD do good things on the big stage.

4. ALS is brutal and McMichael is a literal shell of himself. @RLong68 and myself lost a very good and close friend (UT alum) to ALS last Easter Sunday. My better half lost her mother to ALS 2 years ago tomorrow. ALS is worse than cancer IMO and I lost my father to cancer.

Good stuff.

1. Yeah, OU is the one with the assistant to the coach as the top ranking woman.

2. They win a LOT. It's gotta be like beating the dreAM TEAM TO GET A W OVER THEM.

3. They can mash. Gonna be a fun team. I see a lot of teams getting run ruled.

4. **** ALS.

Reactions: Cinco Ranch Horn
Brady is the Bill Russell of football. I never once watched him and marevled over his physical ability like I do with Mahomes,

Reactions: Cinco Ranch Horn
Brady is the Bill Russell of football. I never once watched him and marevled over his physical ability like I do with Mahomes,
Two things: Russell was a physical freak. Extremely quick and incredibly athletic. (Just didn't have a great offensive game.)

You're right about Brady. He was not physically gifted in any way special. His main feature was his brain. He just got it done by always knowing where to go with the ball.

================================================================
And now Steve McMichael.

When talking about the thousands upon thousands of players that have suited up as players for the Texas Longhorns in the program’s history, only five have ever been named to the NFL Hall of Fame. At a time when we've been asking ourselves where T'Vondre Sweat fits among the greats in the program's history, an honor like this for Mongo McMichael means that he's been elevated to a different tier of greatness among the burnt orange giants in the sport.

While Landry was a very good pro player in the 50s, the truth is that he made the NFL primarily for his accomplishes as a coach, which means that McMichael and Dillon are the only two former Texas defensive players to make the HOF for their exploits as a player.

For those unfamiliar with his exploits as a Texas player, McMichael was a unanimous All-American in 1979 on a defense that allowed fewer than nine points per game. When he graduated from Texas, he departed as the UT all-time leader in tackles (369) and sacks (30), while also posting 40 career tackles for loss, 99 quarterback pressures and 11 forced fumbles.

In a lot of ways, he's kind of become a forgotten giant among giants. Those days are over.

It's a bittersweet reality that he didn't make the HOF before a battle with ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) robbed him of the opportunity to truly celebrate the moment the way that he would have wanted to, which includes being able to give his own acceptance speech.

==================================================================

So proud of Steve McMichael. He was likely the best of an outstanding group of freshmen that DKR brought in in 1976 (which was also my freshman year as a student) I lived in Jester my first two years, so I saw a lot of these guys frequently.

Lam Jones
Johnny Johnson
Ricky Churchman
Mark McBath
Lance Taylor
Derrick Hatchett
Wes Hubert
and Jimmy Johnson @Tug29

Plus several others I cannot remember off the top of my head...feel free anyone to add to this list.

DKR certainly left Fred with a lot of talent to work with.

Then call Mahomes LeBron James. The more important metric for comparison IMO is that Brady and Jordan are the best to ever do it and no one will ever be better. That’s what we should mean when we say someone is the Jordan of something . Not that someone is on par athletically.

Texas does not have that many players in the NFL, HOF, so every one is precious.
Retire Number 99 this fall.

Reactions: Ketchum
Then call Mahomes LeBron James. The more important metric for comparison IMO is that Brady and Jordan are the best to ever do it and no one will ever be better. That’s what we should mean when we say someone is the Jordan of something . Not that someone is on par athletically.
Jordan was also athletically the best. Mahomes has that, Brady is not. The Russell comparison is a good one.

Reactions: Ketchum
Jordan was also athletically the best. Mahomes has that, Brady is not. The Russell comparison is a good one.
You’re missing the point. You can argue that Jordan wasn’t the most physically gifted player ever to play just like you can argue that Mahomes isn’t. What you can’t argue IMO is that Brady is the GOAT in football and Jordan is the GOAT in basketball. That’s your basis for comparison because it’s singular; there is only one. That comparison trumps the rest.

Reactions: chastok
I assume thats a typo? While I love Earl, Bobby Layne is Texas most successful pro player of all time and its not really close (at least of the ones you listed above, if not all).

3 championships. All decade QB. First team all pro twice. When he retired he held the NFL record for basically everything QB related. (He was in the HOF 5 years after he retired. Not sure any of the above did that.)

Is there a doubt? And he was WAY better as a pro than at Texas.
what are you disagreeing with?

what are you disagreeing with?

Umm that Earl and Bobby Dillon are the only two horns that earned the hall by play on the field. (Not even sure how Layne would have earned it otherwise. Although there isn’t a list of toughest players of all time without Layne on the list.)

Neither had as good a career as Layne in the NFL, in my opinion. Yes, even knowing Earls dominance over that 3-4 year period.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT