ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend

Originally posted by Ketchum:

Originally posted by houstonhorn87:

Originally posted by Texas Diesel:
Add me to those thinking Heard is the answer. I think the o-line will be better and him running the zone read will benefit Gray with an overall improved running game as the result. An improved running game should open up the passing game as linebackers and safeties play up.
What's the ceiling for a Heard-led squad in your mind?
potential to be a lot higher than swoopes while the basement can't be lower
you sure about both?

What does a lot higher translate to in you mind?
impossible to define without sounding like a homer. Hows RS FR Colt McCoy's 2006 season at least from the QB position sounds for a ceiling? And he wasn't nearly as heralded coming out of HS but had the same charisma that we hear Heard has.

Originally posted by HookemChargers:
I think they can win 9 or 10 games with Heard. That is with a bowl win.
Expectations are too high IMO.

Originally posted by mbecker327:
Don't get your hopes up on Liverpool sneaking to the top 4.....just when you think they look like a team that can compete they'll lay an egg and break your heart (kinda like Romo and the Cowboys).
smh.gif

Add me to those thinking Heard is the answer. I think the o-line will be better and him running the zone read will benefit Gray with an overall improved running game as the result. An improved running game should open up the passing game as linebackers and safeties play up.
you sure about both?

impossible to define without sounding like a homer. Hows RS FR Colt McCoy's 2006 season at least from the QB position sounds for a ceiling? And he wasn't nearly as heralded coming out of HS but had the same charisma that we hear Heard has.
so, one of the greatest seasons of any quarterback in school history is the ceiling?

Colt's 2006 season has to rank near the top 10? He almost made it to NY.

you sure about both?

so, one of the greatest seasons of any quarterback in school history is the ceiling?

29 TDs and 10 INTs I think it was? Great numbers for a first year starter but not nearly what JT Barrett put up in his first year, Manziel, or Winston recently, and very comparable to what Bridgewater put up for Strong and Watson in his 2nd season in their system. And I believe we were 9-3 that year after Colt went down against KSU and A&M, would hope to be around there record-wise next season as well.

you sure about both?

Lol. You won't convince them that Heard isnt NFL ready yesterday.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by jayboy212:
I feel like the offense in 2015 it's more about consistent play up front. Whether it be swoopes or heard, good play up front will determine the overall success.
Maybe 15 years ago, but you have to have a top guy these days to be a top team.

It's a hell of a lot easier for a great quarterback to make his line look better than the other way around.

It is a lot easier for a pretty good QB to look "great" when he has a strong running game.

Originally posted by TheDude41:

you sure about both?

Im not sure why you've latched on to Swoopes so strongly, but thats your opinion I guess

This post was edited on 12/28 10:45 PM by houstonhorn87

Originally posted by MikeCorleone:

Originally posted by jayboy212:
I feel like the offense in 2015 it's more about consistent play up front. Whether it be swoopes or heard, good play up front will determine the overall success.
Maybe 15 years ago, but you have to have a top guy these days to be a top team.

It's a hell of a lot easier for a great quarterback to make his line look better than the other way around.

It is a lot easier for a pretty good QB to look "great" when he has a strong running game.
Well Swoopes is no nowhere near "pretty good" right now, so if a strong running game takes him from bad to average, there's still a huge problem.

I keep telling you dudes that Gentry is better than Swoopes right now. He will solve our quarterback issues.

keep-calm-and-beat-arkansas-3.png

202975.png

well done ketch! i am back, and better than ever. i shall be at NRG STADIUM with my horns up! keep calm.....

This post was edited on 12/29 8:10 AM by Ketchum

you sure about both?

Im not sure why you've latched on to Swoopes so strongly, but thats your opinion I guess

If haven't latched on to Swoopes anymore than you've latched on to Heard. I'll roll with whoever the coaches choose. I'm not going to claim that a QB who hasn't played a down is going to come in and close to Heisman level. That's you.

Ketch, I appreciate you including The War On Drugs in your list of top songs of the year for indie. I'll even venture to say that their album is in my top four rock/alternative albums of the year, rounded out with Lazeretto, Hozier and Ryan Adams. Among your 10 Things, the last topic always makes me read through your entire column each week.
This post was edited on 12/28 10:58 PM by MK_AllDay

you sure about both?

If haven't latched on to Swoopes anymore than you've latched on to Heard. I'll roll with whoever the coaches choose. I'm not going to claim that a QB who hasn't played a down is going to come in and close to Heisman level. That's you.
I haven't latched on to Heard so much as Ive confirmed Swoopes isn't the guy and want to see the next guy up. You started endless threads this season touting Swoopes' stats, leading to my assumption that you've basically dug in at this point and think he's a decent player.

My belief that Heard will be the starter has less to do with Heard than it does with Swoopes, who has been awful all year, with his last game likely being his worst as a starter (not encouraging). The only times this season he had even a little bit of what could be called success were against some of the worst passing defenses in the country.

you sure about both?

I haven't latched on to Heard so much as Ive confirmed Swoopes isn't the guy and want to see the next guy up. You started endless threads this season touting Swoopes' stats, leading to my assumption that you've basically dug in at this point and think he's a decent player.

My belief that Heard will be the starter has less to do with Heard than it does with Swoopes, who has been awful all year, with his last game likely being his worst as a starter (not encouraging). The only times this season he had even a little bit of what could be called success were against some of the worst passing defenses in the country.

I haven't see you mention anything about Gentry. Why not go with the guy who hasn't been beaten out by the guy you think is terrible?

you sure about both?

I haven't see you mention anything about Gentry. Why not go with the guy who hasn't been beaten out by the guy you think is terrible?
We saw what going from inferior competition to D1 looks like this year, and it wasn't good. Redshirts are important, and I agree with the coaches for taking that route this season.

Who is this Tim Irwin guy you and a few posters keep talking about? Is he related to Roland Jones?
3dgrin.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 12/28 11:15 PM by HORN4LIFE512

So tired of the "Swoopes experiment is over" people.

The dude shouldn't have been playing this year. He had ups and downs. He did a decent job of controlling turnovers until the last game, where admittedly, he imploded.

I know nothing of Swoopes personally, but if he can get his mind right and apply the lessons he's learned this year, and work like a madman to improve, I think the guy can be a player that will make most folks eat their words. There is talent in that young man. If he has the mental toughness, I think he can be a +player at QB for our beloved Horns.

At worst, he'll be an experienced backup who is capable of making all the throws on any given play.

Ketch is giving you guys some strong hints about Heard.
My TV gives me strong hints about Swoopes, at least I can confirm that one

Hence, the reason Ketch is saying we might be SOL.
Too soon to lose faith in the unknown. Raises too many other questions that we aren't ready to answer right now

In his first 12 games Moss established himself as an absolute pure freak that had never been seen at the position. Beckham has been great. He hasn't been as great as Moss. Honestly not s sure how a Cowboys fan makes that statement given Moss' 12th game was his thanksgiving massacre of Dallas.

I assume that the news from today that Drew Richmond will be visiting on 1/30 is either (a) nothing you consider too serious, or (2) news that came after your rankings for OOS prospects in the LSR. Which is it and would he be #1 or #2 in your rankings?

I thought you and others thought Gentry is underrated and borderline 5*. Being 16 in the LSR sure doesn't show that and puts him well below Heard by your estimations from last year. This would seem to contradict the tone that some feel regarding your opinion of Heard or your opinion of Heard has dropped based on feedback from his performance in practices this season. Do you feel that Gentry is better than Heard? Is your confidence in rating Heard as a high 4* recruit waning?

Corleone, sure Ketch is giving out hints on Heard. He was also all in on Gilbert leading up to '10.

Our o-line has been crap just like the Quarterback problem , I thank we should fix the o-line first . Alabama wins with average Quarterbacks just sayin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT