ADVERTISEMENT

Men’s Hoops: Do you care?

Neither is getting shut out in the 4th quarter.....that is quite embarrassing.
I am sorry...but I just do not see Charli as a very good player. She has done NOTHING against good competition. No idea what makes her a #1 WNBA pick.

This season looks good only because of the 2 wins against better teams to make it to the Round of 8. Otherwise, this was a mediocre season that came to a fitting end.

I hope this team is not delusional about where they are.

I can’t see how anyone can argue with Charli going that high. This team exceeded expectations in the tournament like it or not. I’m just glad we don’t have a coach who’s a crybaby!!!

Reactions: RoboCocks21
I am sorry...but I just do not see Charli as a very good player. She has done NOTHING against good competition. No idea what makes her a #1 WNBA pick.

This season looks good only because of the 2 wins against better teams to make it to the Round of 8. Otherwise, this was a mediocre season that came to a fitting end.

First year coach taking them to the elite 8, please explain how that was mediocre?

Like everyone else to score no points in a quarter is nightmarish. But a team of underachievers got to the elite 8. And a more talented team lost in the first round to a 14 seed.

It was nice to see our team go far in the tournament. But our bb coaches always go far early in their careers then slide downwards. Penders, Barnes, Smart, even with all that talent never went that far. Barnes did get into a final 4 and a couple of elite 8. In one TX got beat by a superior Memphis team. But in the other, LSU, they froze late in the game.

As far as the ladies go I grew to resent Jody Conradt. Yeah she won a title but she let the success go to her head. She was arrogant, entitled, and catered to. She felt she didn't have to do anything else. You may not like reading this but that was a lbig difference between her and Kim Mulkey.

So now comes coach Schafer. Does he have the drive to win and win often? I hope so.

Look with Deloss Dodds it was about Were TX and money. But do we have an ad who knows how to build a winning culture? And by that I mean hire coaches who to win a lot and not settle for a comfort zone. Since Darrell Royal who have we hired that had that fire? Eddie Reese definitely and I would put Augie in there maybe someone I don't remember.
But Dodds? Conradt? Barnes? Brown? I say no to all and yes I include Gustafson on my list. What good does the LHN do when you're not winning like you should? Here's another thing about making a lot of money and success on the field. Notre Dame has had a huge contact with NBC for 30 years how's that been working out for them since Lou Holtz retired?

Off my chest

Last edited:
Reactions: BringBackRoyal

Fat Lanny, is that you?

First year coach taking them to the elite 8, please explain how that was mediocre?

Did you read what I had typed? "Otherwise (than the 2 upset wins in the tournament), it was a mediocre season".

Those 2 wins should be treated as motivation for the future....but not the definition of this year's team.
Only teams who are consistently good make it to the final four and beyond.
If we think of this current team as being an Elite 8 calibre team, we would be way off in our assessment.
I do hope this will help with recruiting better players and help us win consistently.

This season has not provided enough evidence that Vic Schafer can certainly build that kind of a program. There is hope, though.

Right after the game, the commentator was giving kudos to Vic Schafer for a great 1st season at Texas considering all the things he had to deal with like Covid-related challenges (agreed) and social justice. Now, what on earth did social justice have to do with this basketball team's challenges?

Reactions: diadevic
It was season 1 for him correct? I think this season is a good sign.............
No. 4 rated recruiting class coming in. The one thing Karen Aston could do was recruit, but Vic has a track record of developing. Is this site going to turn into women's hoops pep rally?

I follow all our sports. Hell was watching the track meet earlier.
I think there is a major player from MSU looking to transfer to Texas to link back up with Vic, right? I think the dude is solid and will hopefully give Mulkey some competition to truly worry about. Girl aint got no one nipping at her heals in the Big 12 right now..................

Tongue in cheek. He's passed his prime, but in his day, he was as good as there was.

Pardon the belated response.

As far as the ladies go I grew to resent Jody Conradt. Yeah she won a title but she let the success go to her head. She was arrogant, entitled, and catered to. She felt she didn't have to do anything else. You may not like reading this but that was a lbig difference between her and Kim Mulkey.

I know Jody is royalty to some, but I wholeheartedly agree. She was never anything that special in my book. Her best years came at a time when the women's game made today's women's game look like a paragon of parity. Despite enormous advantages in talent and institutional support over almost everyone, she managed only two Final Fours during her heyday. She ran roughshod over the SWC, but when she went up against coaches with similarly talented teams, she usually got her ass kicked.

Look with Deloss Dodds it was about Were TX and money. But do we have an ad who knows how to build a winning culture? And by that I mean hire coaches who to win a lot and not settle for a comfort zone. Since Darrell Royal who have we hired that had that fire? Eddie Reese definitely and I would put Augie in there maybe someone I don't remember.
But Dodds? Conradt? Barnes? Brown? I say no to all and yes I include Gustafson on my list. What good does the LHN do when you're not winning like you should? Here's another thing about making a lot of money and success on the field. Notre Dame has had a huge contact with NBC for 30 years how's that been working out for them since Lou Holtz retired?

Dodds is also one of the most overrated ADs ever. I'm always amazed that people think he was some exceptional AD who did things at Texas that few others could have. If Dodds had had his way, Texas would have hired Gary Barnett instead of Mack Brown.

Last edited:
Dodds came from Kansas State where they had football teams that didnt win over 2 games a year.

Pardon the belated response.

I know Jody is royalty to some, but I wholeheartedly agree. She was never anything that special in my book. Her best years came at a time when the women's game makes today's women's game look like a paragon of parity. Despite enormous advantages in talent and institutional support over almost everyone, she managed only two Final Fours during her heyday. She ran roughshod over the SWC, but when she went up against coaches with similarly talented teams, she usually got her ass kicked.

Dodds is also one of the most overrated ADs ever. I'm always amazed that people think he was some exceptional AD who did things at Texas that few others could have. If Dodds had had his way, Texas would have hired Gary Barnett instead of Mack Brown.

The thing I resented about her was her refusal to travel especially in non con games. At times we didn't even go on the road for conference games I remember very clearly that one year both games against TCU were in Austin and there were others as well. Wth? the Celtics don't play all their games in Boston. But let me remind you what happened after that championship season. Now there was a time when the regional finals were played at the top seeded schools. Back then women's hoops weren't played in the big arenas. And she lost evey time she got to the elite 8. And who did she lose to teams that had played on the road teams who were battle tested especially against LA Tech. And then the rest of the SWC caught up to her her teams slipped into mediocrity and she had to start playing road games like everyone else.

And you know Gustafson pulled the same stunts. He may have been a great coach but he should have dominated the sport the way John Wooden dominated college hoops. And he lost to teams, and always in Austin, to teams that earned their way to get there. And in the end his teams were mediocre. And then that stunt his son pulled and him thinking he could do what he wanted because he was CG was the final straw.

Mack Brown is one of the greatest coaches in school history only DKR was better. But he went on cruise control the next 2 years after the nc season its like I got my conference title and nc season. I can relax now. It took an upbraiding from the president that he remembered what he was there for. We had 2 great seasons before the slide started.

The last 6 years Barnes was more preoccupied with sending players to the NBA. Steve Patterson screwed up bad but he was right that Barnes had to go.

And you're right Dodds wanted to hire GB. However DKR flew out to meet MB. Apparently he know so much about TX fb history that he should've gotten a medal. Any way DKR called Dodds and said I found our next coach and Dodds had enough sense not to argue. Thank you DKR. And after 4 ad's in the last 10 years do we finally have an ad that places a winning culture above all else and especially the LHN?

It's your show now Mr Del Conte and the Eyes of Texas are now upon you.

HookemHorns

Last edited:
Charles Barkley: “They are scary.” That first half was as dominant as I’ve ever seen. Hope the Bears saved something for Monday!

Mega respects to UCLA. It took a miracle last second banked 3pt shot in OT for Gonzaga to win it. Baylor and the Zags are set up for all of the marbles on Monday night.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDCPAgolferHorn
Mega respects to UCLA. It took a miracle last second banked 3pt shot in OT for Gonzaga to win it. Baylor and the Zags are aet up for all of the marbles on Monday night.

UCLA was no joke I thought they were going to get this. Should be a good fight Monday!

UCLA/Gonzaga without question the greatest college hoops game I've ever seen. Gonzaga has always folded or froze everytime they get to the elite 8 or final 4. And tonight when they were challenged for the first time this season they played magnificent. And this was one times where the losing team deserves real respect. 20 lead changes 12 ties.

What a game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT