ADVERTISEMENT

ND Game.....

Just wait they haven't met Malik yet and only a freshman! 215 coming in now 240! He will light someone up and it will be felt through the stadium and in your living room!

I actually think that Texas's LB Malik Jefferson could grow into a player like NDs LB Jaylon Smith in a couple years...and that's a MAJOR compliment

Similarly, I think Jerrod Heard will end up similar to what NDs QB Malik Zaire will end up as (both very good dual-threat guys) though 1-year behind him (1 year younger)

Both sets of players are going to be great (or already are, in Jaylon Smith's case)

If you actually look into it, you'd be VERY HARD PRESSED to find a SLB, CB, CB, NB, FS, SS combo than ND's

SLB - Jaylon Smith
CB - KeiVarie Russell
CB - Cole Luke
NB - Nick Watkins
FS - Max Redfield
SS - Elijah Shumate

It's worth while to note that basically all of those guys had Texas offers and are projected to be NFL Draft picks

This is the fastest back-end defense ND has had in 15+ years. It's flat out fast!!

You're right though, the trenches for ND are built primary on size, strength, and experience rather than in speed (for the most part)

Those are all great players with tons of upside that you listed and regardless of whether or not they hold or held a Texas offer doesn't really matter, but only one of them did and that is Cole Luke when Akina was still on the staff. Most of ND kids come from a region Texas doesn't recruit very heavily. I actually think Malik is going to get a chance to shine much sooner and starting this year as a true freshman. He is a disciplined machine, both savvy in football and built for the job. It's crazy to think a kid could come in during the Spring and possibly step in where a leader like Hicks left off, but it looks very possible and Malik can get to the ball in a hurry.

Those are all great players with tons of upside that you listed and regardless of whether or not they hold or held a Texas offer doesn't really matter, but only one of them did and that is Cole Luke when Akina was still on the staff. Most of ND kids come from a region Texas doesn't recruit very heavily. I actually think Malik is going to get a chance to shine much sooner and starting this year as a true freshman. He is a disciplined machine, both savvy in football and built for the job. It's crazy to think a kid could come in during the Spring and possibly step in where a leader like Hicks left off, but it looks very possible and Malik can get to the ball in a hurry.

I would note that Nick Watkins and Jaylon Smith both had Texas offers, but you're overall point is valid.

On Jaylon v. Malik, Jaylon started as a true frosh as well, after being a 5* Top5 overall player in recruiting rankings. He was a frosh all American before going on to be a 2nd team all American as a soph
I think Malik has a chance to be on a similar level as Jaylon was at his age and have a career on a similar trajectory....which, again, is a major complement

But that should tell you how good Jaylon will be as a Junior now, as a 3rs year starter and in his second year in this defensive system
There is a very real possibility that he's the unanimous #1 LB in all of CFB this year

I would note that Nick Watkins and Jaylon Smith both had Texas offers, but you're overall point is valid.

On Jaylon v. Malik, Jaylon started as a true frosh as well, after being a 5* Top5 overall player in recruiting rankings. He was a frosh all American before going on to be a 2nd team all American as a soph
I think Malik has a chance to be on a similar level as Jaylon was at his age and have a career on a similar trajectory....which, again, is a major complement

But that should tell you how good Jaylon will be as a Junior now, as a 3rs year starter and in his second year in this defensive system
There is a very real possibility that he's the unanimous #1 LB in all of CFB this year
http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Jaylon-Smith-11043/RecruitInterests
http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Nick-Watkins-19524/RecruitInterests
Neither show to have been offered and like I said, it means nothing.

Maybe Rivals shows offers, I tend to ignore Rivals. Although, even Rivals doesn't show an offer for Jaylon. A Watkins offer would make sense being that he is from Dallas. But I'm not positive he had one.

I'm not comparing Malik to Jaylon. I don't think they will parallel due to system and staff. Jaylon should get drafted high this coming cycle.

Last edited:
http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Jaylon-Smith-11043/RecruitInterests
http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Nick-Watkins-19524/RecruitInterests
Neither show to have been offered and like I said, it means nothing.

Maybe Rivals shows offers, I tend to ignore Rivals. Although, even Rivals doesn't show an offer for Jaylon. A Watkins offer would make sense being that he is from Dallas. But I'm not positive he had one.

There we're several articles written when Watkins got his Texas offer, if you want to dig them up.

In Jaylon, he was a 5*, Unanimous Top5 Overall Player, and the #1 LB in the nation....he had an offer from everyone, even if he didn't report them all because he committed pretty early on

Again, this doesn't really matter, as all 5 of those players absolutely have "Texas Speed/athleticism"

There we're several articles written when Watkins got his Texas offer, if you want to dig them up.

In Jaylon, he was a 5*, Unanimous Top5 Overall Player, and the #1 LB in the nation....he had an offer from everyone, even if he didn't report them all because he committed pretty early on

Again, this doesn't really matter, as all 5 of those players absolutely have "Texas Speed/athleticism"
Nah, it's all good if you remember it, I didn't keep up with Watkins recruitment. We could have used him, then again we signed Bonney (nickle), Hall and Roberts in 2014, he may have helped some at corner in that class. I didn't realize Jaylon had over 100 offers, that's incredible. (sarcasm)

I have heard/read where desk jockeys use Jaylon as a comparison for Malik.

Last edited:
In the last 15 years, the best linebacker I have seen in college football was Derrick Johnson of Texas. He was two time All American in 03 & 04. He won the Nagirski, Butkus, and Lombardi awards.

He was a guy that had to be accounted for on every play.

Malik might be better. Malik is doing things that DJ did as a junior, but Malik is a freshmen.

There are two linebackers I've seen in college that are better than DJ was. Cornelius Bennet, and Lawrence Taylor at North Carolina. Malik Jefferson is on the talent Level of these two guys. He is a 4.4 40 speed in a 240 lb body and still is showing the instincts of a guy born to play the position. He is the definition of a freak of nature.

Nah, it's all good if you remember it, I didn't keep up with Watkins recruitment. We could have used him, then again we signed Bonney, Hall and Roberts in 2014, he may have helped some at corner in that class. I didn't realize Jaylon had over 100 offers, that's incredible. (sarcasm)

I have heard/read where desk jockeys use Jaylon as a comparison for Malik.

Watkins had an offer from Texas. It was the main concern for ND fans (Texas kid we want usually jump on Texas offers)

I think Malik could could end up being a similar player to Jaylon. I like Jaylon's speed and athleticism in playing "sideline to sideline" and in coverage a bit more but it looks like Malik plays with better power and is a little more natural of a downhill player, at the same stages of their game. Both have good potential as pass rushers (though I like Jaylon a bit more here) but need to refine their skills.

Ultimately I think Jaylon is an LB that can play inside or outside, but is a bit more natural outside while Malik is an LB who can play either as well but is a bit more natural inside.
I think Jaylon is the perfect 4-3 SLB while Malik is the ideal 4-3 WLB

Notre Dame is hoping that frosh All American LB Nyles Morgan can grow into the WLB that Texas fans are hoping Malik Jefferson will grow into. Morgan needs to show improvement in understanding and instincts from his frosh year to do that though

In the last 15 years, the best linebacker I have seen in college football was Derrick Johnson of Texas. He was two time All American in 03 & 04. He won the Nagirski, Butkus, and Lombardi awards.

He was a guy that had to be accounted for on every play.

Malik might be better. Malik is doing things that DJ did as a junior, but Malik is a freshmen.

There are two linebackers I've seen in college that are better than DJ was. Cornelius Bennet, and Lawrence Taylor at North Carolina. Malik Jefferson is on the talent Level of these two guys. He is a 4.4 40 speed in a 240 lb body and still is showing the instincts of a guy born to play the position. He is the definition of a freak of nature.
Yup, he is way ahead of the curve! Our last 5* kid with tons of hype only had 1 healthy season and it was this past under Strong, getting him drafted with the 84th overall pick in this past draft . Malik picks up where Hicks left off and you can take that to the bank. If he stays healthy, he will be an incredible three year player. He has the size and skill sets of Hicks with better hips and speed.

I'd bet on Malik winning a collegiate Butkus by year three if he stays healthy, one thing Hicks, Jaylon Smith and MJ have in common are High School Butkus awards.

Last edited:
All I know is Malik is listed as 240 as a freshman and Jaylon is listed at 235 as a Junior. That's just a freak right there and still runs a 4.4! The hype is real!

Malik is thicker than Jaylon, in terms of natural build. However, Jaylon is a little over 240lbs now and is likely a little stronger curently than Malik is (Junior v. Frosh)

However, Malik is going to be the stronger, more powerful down-hill player at the same point in his career, and is going to play at a bigger size than Jaylon will (eventually) baring a radical change.

That sytle difference is the major reason I like Malik more inbetween the tackles (at the same stage in their careers) but I like Jaylon's athleticism a little more (sideline-to-sideline, off the edge, and in coverage)

Both are elite level LB's, for the respective points in their careers.

It's obvious why Texas fans are excited about Malik's future, as it's BRIGHT!
And that should tell Texas fans what ND fans are expecting out of Jaylon at the present, as he's that level of player for the 2015 season!!

Malik is thicker than Jaylon, in terms of natural build. However, Jaylon is a little over 240lbs now and is likely a little stronger curently than Malik is (Junior v. Frosh)

However, Malik is going to be the stronger, more powerful down-hill player at the same point in his career, and is going to play at a bigger size than Jaylon will (eventually) baring a radical change.

That sytle difference is the major reason I like Malik more inbetween the tackles (at the same stage in their careers) but I like Jaylon's athleticism a little more (sideline-to-sideline, off the edge, and in coverage)

Both are elite level LB's, for the respective points in their careers.

It's obvious why Texas fans are excited about Malik's future, as it's BRIGHT!
And that should tell Texas fans what ND fans are expecting out of Jaylon at the present, as he's that level of player for the 2015 season!!
If you're that high on Jaylon's ability to go sideline to sideline, you should really enjoy watching MJ if he gets to start on September 5th. Unbelievable hip flexibility for a man his size and phenomenal instinct and closing speed. I agree that Jaylon is a great prospect.

Reactions: HornosaurusRex
Does Bevo normally travel to all away games?

Only asking because there is a story out today about ND not allowing him, since they have a rule against live mascots in the stadium.

LINK

I also heard that ND doesnt allow any visiting players over 250 lbs and no opposing coaches in the press box.While I was researching this I ran accross a letter to the ESPN sports desk. It read as follows:

Notre Dame plays the best brand of football in the country.
They are the most innovative and best coached team in all of college football.

Sincerely,

The 1940's

Just for fun, NDs meaningful contributors, with reported summer/falls weights and sizes

(My guess at "order of importance" from top to bottom)

QB - Zaire (6'0" , 230lbs)
QB - Kizer (6'5" , 230lbs)

RB - Folston (5'9" , 215lbs)
RB - Prosise (6'1" , 235lbs)
RB - Bryant (5'10" , 210lbs)
RB - Williams (6'0" , 190lbs)

WR - Fuller (5'11" , 200lbs)
WR - Robinson (6'4" , 220lbs)
WR - Brown (6'2" , 210lbs)
WR - Brent (6'2" , 215lbs)
WR - Holmes (6'1" , 200lbs)

Slot - Carlisle (5'10" , 195lbs)
Slot - Prosise (6'1" , 235lbs)
Slot - Hunter (5'11" , 205lbs)
Slot - Sanders (5'10" , 190lbs)

LT - Stanley (6'6" , 325lbs)
LG - Nelson (6'5" , 330lbs)
C - Martin (6'4" , 315lbs)
RG - Elmer (6'5" , 330lbs)
RT - McGlinchey (6'7" , 320lbs)

DT - Day (6'1" , 285lbs)
DT - Jones (6'5 , 325lbs)
DT - Rochell (6'3" , 285lbs)
DT - Tillery (6'6" , 315lbs)
DT - Hayes (6'3" , 290lbs)
DT- Cage (6'3" , 320lbs)
DT - Matsuka (6'4" , 285lbs)
DT - Mokwauh (6'3" , 330lbs)

DE - Rochell (6'3" , 285lbs)
DE - Day (6'1" , 285lbs)
DE - Trumbetti (6'3" , 260lbs)
DE - Okwara (6'4" , 265lbs)
DE - Williams (6'5" , 270lbs)
DE - Bonner (6'3" , 270lbs)
DE - Blakenahip (6'4" , 260lbs)

LB - Smith (6'3" , 240lbs)
LB - Grace (6'4" , 250lbs)
LB - Schmidt (6'1" , 235lbs)
LB - Morgan (6'3" , 240lbs)
LB - Onwaulu (6'1" , 225lbs)
LB - Martini (6'3" , 240lbs)
LB - Coney (6'0" , 235lbs)
LB - Barajas (6'2" , 235lbs)

CB - Russell (5'11" , 200lbs)
CB - Luke (6'0" , 205lbs)
CB - Watkins (6'0" , 200lbs)
CB - Butler (6'1" , 205lbs)
CB - Crawford (5'9" , 185lbs)

S - Redfield (6'1" , 210lbs)
S - Shumate (6'0" , 215lbs)
S - Farley (6'0" , 215lbs)
S - Tranquil (6'2" , 220lbs)
S - Avery (6'1" , 215lbs)
S - Butler (6'1" , 205lbs)

I made the trek North to Indiana in 1995 as a Freshman and witnessed the 55-27 beating. That same team didn't lose another game until the Sugar Bowl. That Texas squad had a solid defense. Ya never know how things will turn out, that's why they play the game! If I remember correctly, that was a solid upset with Texas being the favorite...The following year I had the opportunity to watch the Domers at DKR where they took a narrow victory over our boys once again. These are the only two Texas/ND meetings I have witnessed and I had hoped to make the trek North once again, but life happens and children come first... I hope it's a good game with a respectable outcome and of course I would prefer to see the current 4 game win streak come to an end...

Last edited:
Reactions: IrishBlooded
I thought you guys were blowing smoke about beating ND, as I fell into the trap of preseason hype and polls.

Then I looked at how they closed out last season, as they lost there last 4 regular season games including 2 beat downs.

Arizona State killed them, beat them by 24.
Lost to a not very good Northwestern and an ok Louisville. They were killed again by Southern Cal by 35.

Arizona State and Southern Cal are very good, but not elite. I think you guys have a legit shot in this game.

Too much credit is being given for beating a middle of the road SEC team in LSU (last year only) who didn't seem to be excited to play the game.

I thought you guys were blowing smoke about beating ND, as I fell into the trap of preseason hype and polls.

Then I looked at how they closed out last season, as they lost there last 4 regular season games including 2 beat downs.

Arizona State killed them, beat them by 24.
Lost to a not very good Northwestern and an ok Louisville. They were killed again by Southern Cal by 35.

Arizona State and Southern Cal are very good, but not elite. I think you guys have a legit shot in this game.

Too much credit is being given for beating a middle of the road SEC team in LSU (last year only) who didn't seem to be excited to play the game.

May want to read back through the thread and see the shell of the ND's team that played in most of those games

ND beating LSU isn't really the reason that ND is pretty highly thought of heading into the 2015 season

ok Domers....yall will be great....yall will be terriffic...poor us.

That by God done it!...I hope yall have everyone you can muster at top form! I hope yall come out determined and ready to play. The rest of the world has yall as anywhere from 13.5 to 10 point favorites...Well, I say yall better bring it! You better have your hats strapped on tight and be ready. We are going to bring our young team in with not one excuse! We will be ready to play, so I hope yall will be. I hope no one is injured and may the best team win! I just happen to think that will be us!.....Hookem!

I heard that the Hookem sigh was a near sighted carpenter ordering 4 beers.

Reactions: HornosaurusRex
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT