ADVERTISEMENT

*** Official TEXAS vs Purple Baylor Football thread***

1-13

That's what we did on 3rd down tonight. 1-13.

That's how you lose a football game. 1-13 on 3rd down.

Know how else you lose a game?

When you combine going 1-13 on 3rd down with the other team being +15 minutes in time of possession.

Reactions: westx
I think they are overrated. I also don’t think Duggan is as good as he’s made out to be. If they make the playoff they will get hammered by 50 against Georgia.
It’s also worth considering that teams are starting to get tape on Ewers and game planning on him which expected and why he’s struggled the past few weeks. There aren’t many kids that come straight out of HS school and are ready to take over a program and completely turn them around, but that’s what we’re expecting of Quinn in year one. The expectations are pretty damn unrealistic especially with the roster we have right now. He’s going to get better with these experiences. Max Duggan is a Senior, Spencer Sanders is a Senior, Bryce Young is in his 3rd season. Those are just a few examples of guys have all had the benefit of multiple seasons and multiple off seasons. If I recall, even VY, Colt and Sam went through struggles their first season.

Last edited:
Reactions: westx
It’s also worth considering that teams are starting to get tape on Ewers and game planning on him which expected and why he’s struggled the past few weeks. There aren’t many kids that come straight out of HS school and are ready to take over a program and completely turn them around, but that’s what we’re expecting of Quinn in year one. The expectations are pretty damn unrealistic especially with the roster we have right now. He’s going to get better with these experiences. Max Duggan is a Senior, Spencer Sanders is a Senior, Bryce Young is in his 3rd season. Those are just a few examples of guys have all had the benefit of multiple seasons and multiple off seasons. If I recall, even VY and Colt went through struggles their first season.
Colt McCoy had as good of a freshman season as any that I can remember. Completed 68% of his passes and threw 29 tds to only 7 interceptions with a 161 rating. VY was a different story. He wasn’t a very good passer his first year but he more than made up for his flaws with his legs.

The thing with Ewers is he has regressed drastically since that OU game. He’s not reading defenses and he’s pre determining where he’s going to throw the ball pre snap. It’s exactly why he’s forcing it to Worthy so much. That’s worrisome. I think Sark should have tried Card last night just to see.

On top of that Sark is doing him no favors. He needs to just ditch the deep stuff for a week and integrate more quick game. The little bit of WR screens we threw last night were working really well.

Sark needs to really think about letting someone else call plays. I just don’t think he’s cut out to handle the play calling and head coaching duties. It’s too much for him. I believe that’s why he has trouble adjusting in game.

I told y'all that Sark is overrated. Ewers is swoopes + squints, he sucks. Sark better beg Card to come back next year. Card sucks as well but this will be year 3 in the system and he should benefit.

Next year we lose our rb's and our dl. It's obvious that Ewers needs at least a year on the bench learning how to play college qb. His career path resembles the dood with the ginger fro more than Trevor Lawrence.

Btw, cut that ugly mop and shave.

Last edited:
I told y'all that Sark is overrated. Ewers is swoopes + squints, he sucks. Sark better beg Card to come back next year. Card sucks as well but this will be year 3 in the system and he should benefit.

Next year we lose our rb's and our dl. It's obvious that Ewers needs at least a year on the bench learning how to play college qb. His career path resembles the dood with the ginger fro more than Trevor Lawrence.

Btw, cut that ugly mop and shave.
GTFOH man. You disappear for weeks when things are going good and then show back up after 1 loss to the number 4 ranked team in the country.

Reactions: HornDrummer
Colt McCoy had as good of a freshman season as any that I can remember. Completed 68% of his passes and threw 29 tds to only 7 interceptions with a 161 rating. VY was a different story. He wasn’t a very good passer his first year but he more than made up for his flaws with his legs.

The thing with Ewers is he has regressed drastically since that OU game. He’s not reading defenses and he’s pre determining where he’s going to throw the ball pre snap. It’s exactly why he’s forcing it to Worthy so much. That’s worrisome. I think Sark should have tried Card last night just to see.

On top of that Sark is doing him no favors. He needs to just ditch the deep stuff for a week and integrate more quick game. The little bit of WR screens we threw last night were working really well.

Sark needs to really think about letting someone else call plays. I just don’t think he’s cut out to handle the play calling and head coaching duties. It’s too much for him. I believe that’s why he has trouble adjusting in game.

Our OL is below average. The Center, RG and RT are inconsistent to be kind.

If you don’t have at least an above average OL then you don’t have good QB play. QBs get gun shy. It doesn’t matter who is back there. Eventually they will succumb to the porous OL play

Gilbert. Ash. Bue. Sam. Thompson. Ewers.

Our OL is below average. The Center, RG and RT are inconsistent to be kind.

If you don’t have at least an above average OL then you don’t have good QB play. QBs get gun shy. It doesn’t matter who is back there. Eventually they will succumb to the porous OL play

Gilbert. Ash. Bue. Sam. Thompson. Ewers.
The line has been above average pass blocking this year. Run blocking has been their issue. I don’t think the line has been bad at all though.

Agreed about letting someone else call plays. Herman realized this and then hired Yurcich. Has there ever been a HC that was successful calling their own offensive plays? Off the top of my head there has been Herman, Sark, Jimbo, Bill O Brien, Gary Kubiak. None had much success calling their own plays.

When you have the ball inside the 5 yard line for 1st and goal and you can't line up, get heavy and punch it in-- you've got some serious issues.

If we had ANY form of runblocking at all, we win that game. But we don't. We are soft upfront.

When you have the ball inside the 5 yard line for 1st and goal and you can't line up, get heavy and punch it in-- you've got some serious issues.

If we had ANY form of runblocking at all, we win that game. But we don't. We are soft upfront.
The C, LG,RG, and RT are all major liabilities in the run game. Only consistent player on the line this year has been Banks. There’s some young guys that deserve some reps. I noticed DJ Campbell got some reps at RG last night.

The line has been above average pass blocking this year. Run blocking has been their issue. I don’t think the line has been bad at all though.

Disagree. As a unit they have been average. Banks has been above average in Pass Pro

I'm telling you, if you have 1 bad o-lineman, you have a bad OL. You have to have 5 guys playing at at least an average level if not slightly above average. We haven't had that in some time.

Agreed about letting someone else call plays. Herman realized this and then hired Yurcich. Has there ever been a HC that was successful calling their own offensive plays? Off the top of my head there has been Herman, Sark, Jimbo, Bill O Brien, Gary Kubiak. None had much success calling their own plays.

Riley calls his own plays. Leach does, or did for a long time.

Some OL numbers per PFF

This doesn't include games from yesterday. And it also leaves out many variables like amount of opportunities, last few games, etc. For example, a player could have 2 elite games and 7 shitty games, but still have a decent overall grade.

That said, it is a good look to target some issues with this offense. And many of them are exactly what I have been saying....however one guy has graded much higher than expected.

Centers

Majors is #1 in the Big 12 in pass pro
Majors is #8 in the Big 12 in run game

Only 10 Centers have qualified via minimum snaps

Guards

Conner is #11 in Big 12 in pass pro
Hutson is #22 in Big 12 in pass pro

Only 22 Guards have qualified via minimum snaps

Hutson is #20 in Big 12 in run game
Conner is #22 in Big 12 in run game

Only 23 Guards have qualified via minimum snaps

Tackles

Banks is #4 in Big 12 in pass pro
Jones is #5 in Big 12 in pass pro

Only 24 Tackles have qualified via minimum snaps

Jones is #11 in Big 12 in run game
Banks is #15 in Big 12 in run game

• Wow
Reactions: freeper
Some OL numbers per PFF

This doesn't include games from yesterday. And it also leaves out many variables like amount of opportunities, last few games, etc. For example, a player could have 2 elite games and 7 shitty games, but still have a decent overall grade.

That said, it is a good look to target some issues with this offense. And many of them are exactly what I have been saying....however one guy has graded much higher than expected.

Centers

Majors is #1 in the Big 12 in pass pro
Majors is #8 in the Big 12 in run game

Only 10 Centers have qualified via minimum snaps

Guards

Conner is #11 in Big 12 in pass pro
Hutson is #22 in Big 12 in pass pro

Only 22 Guards have qualified via minimum snaps

Hutson is #20 in Big 12 in run game
Conner is #22 in Big 12 in run game

Only 23 Guards have qualified via minimum snaps

Tackles

Banks is #4 in Big 12 in pass pro
Jones is #5 in Big 12 in pass pro

Jones is #11 in Big 12 in run game
Banks is #15 in Big 12 in run game

Everyone but Hutson is above average by those numbers is the way I’m seeing it. That’s pretty accurate with what I have seen as well.

Now the run blocking is a different story.

Everyone but Hutson is above average by those numbers is the way I’m seeing it. That’s pretty accurate with what I have seen as well.

Now the run blocking is a different story.

Center 1-2 is elite, 3-4 is above average, 5-7 is average, 8-10 is below average
Guard/Tackle 1-3 is elite, 4-8 is above average, 9-14 is average, 15+ is below average

We are below average at Guard...like, not good.

Again...you can't have 2 players out of 5 on the OL playing below average and have an above average unit. That is not how OL works.

So....we have a below average OL and have for some time. And they, individually, are below average in run game. Not being able to run block nor protect in the middle will make QBs gun shy, as we have seen for about 12/13 years now.

Last edited:
TCU won't lose a game. They'll end up undefeated and they deserve to be in the CFP. Just don't want to see two SEC teams in the CFP. No team is beating Georgia though.
I think Ohio State would with its offense. Still hoping for a Michigan - TCU final. I think the loser of Michigan -Ohio State will beat out Tennessee for the fourth spot.

Center 1-2 is elite, 3-4 is above average, 5-7 is average, 8-10 is below average
Guard/Tackle 1-3 is elite, 4-8 is above average, 9-14 is average, 15+ is below average

We are below average at Guard...like, not good.

Again...you can't have 2 players out of 5 on the OL playing below average and have an above average unit. That is not how OL works.

So....we have a below average OL and have for some time. And they, individually, are below average in run game. Not being able to run block nor protect in the middle will make QBs gun shy, as we have seen for about 12/13 years now.
This.

Until Texas can lineup and convert 3-2 on a consistent basis, we will never be where we want. As good as Bijan and Rojo are, you can't be successful when you are dodging defenders behind the line of scrimmage.

Reactions: weevilcatch
Just got through re watching the game and my 1 big takeaway is that the defense played it's ass off. One guy that really stood out to me was Terrance Brooks. He did a hell of a job all night and i'm not so sure that I would go back with Jamison if he's healthy next week. The defensive line kicked TCU's offensive line's ass all night pretty much except for that one long run Miller had. If you take away that 75 yard run he had he was at 3.1 yards per carry.

It's really frustrating because this team is so damn close to being a really good team. I just don't have any faith Sark is the guy to get us over the hump.

Reactions: Pumpedup55
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT