ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Thread

This kid is going to be special. He IS the QB of the future at Texas. I wouldn't be surprised to see him supplant Ehlinger at some point.

I hope he is the next Vince Young, however, I don't see him beating out Hudson Card. Card is Colt McCoy Special and the only guy that can beat him out is a playmaker like a Vince. So good luck to Mr Johnson I hope you are the best.

I hope he is the next Vince Young, however, I don't see him beating out Hudson Card. Card is Colt McCoy Special and the only guy that can beat him out is a playmaker like a Vince. So good luck to Mr Johnson I hope you are the best.

Competition is a good thing. Texas hasn't had much quality at the QB position until now, finally. Card is a good looking prospect, but I think that Johnson fits Herman's style of offense the best. He reminds me of Greg Ward, Jr. Also, it'll be interesting to get a look at Rising and Thompson. Hopefully Buechele transfers to free up some PT for these younger guys.

Do you think he looks like a faster James Brown if you remember him?

Johnson is a little bigger than Brown. I would say that Brown was a slightly faster runner than Johnson, but that's not a knock on RJ. He's got wheels. I just think that R. Johnson is the whole package and will have the best collective QB skills of all of the QB's on the 40 when the dust settles.

Reactions: Cotton #12
Competition is a good thing. Texas hasn't had much quality at the QB position until now, finally. Card is a good looking prospect, but I think that Johnson fits Herman's style of offense the best. He reminds me of Greg Ward, Jr. Also, it'll be interesting to get a look at Rising and Thompson. Hopefully Buechele transfers to free up some PT for these younger guys.
On the Buechele possible transfer, he only played in 2 games this season so he can use the redshirt and have 2 years eligibility somewhere else.

image.png

image.png

Reactions: LonghornMM
On the Buechele possible transfer, he only played in 2 games this season so he can use the redshirt and have 2 years eligibility somewhere else.

image.png

image.png
And you would think he would be in high demand. A great team guy, could be really good in the right system.
Shane has done nothing but be the best he can be for The University of Texas. Great kid who just got to the end of his rope when it comes to skill set.

Reactions: Longyac and Scholz
Ya if Buchele doesn’t transfer then I hope we give the younger guys a shot. I really like what Herman is doing recruiting quarterbacks. Seems like he is bringing in a couple different styles of guys with Card and Johnson definitely being 2 different style of quarterbacks. And I have no doubt in my mind he will put the best player on the field when the time comes. Some competition for the most important job on the team is a good thing. I really like what Herman is doing on the recruiting trail the last 2 years and can only think about how much better this team is gonna be next year with some new faces on the defensive side of the ball.

Ya if Buchele doesn’t transfer then I hope we give the younger guys a shot. I really like what Herman is doing recruiting quarterbacks. Seems like he is bringing in a couple different styles of guys with Card and Johnson definitely being 2 different style of quarterbacks. And I have no doubt in my mind he will put the best player on the field when the time comes. Some competition for the most important job on the team is a good thing. I really like what Herman is doing on the recruiting trail the last 2 years and can only think about how much better this team is gonna be next year with some new faces on the defensive side of the ball.
And with a year of competing and training for that young DB group. Yes they looked like freshmen at times this year, but they dang sure showed out.

Jordan Whittington and Cuero advanced to the state semifinals with a 48-23 win over Navarro. Jordan had 5 carries for 101 yards and 3 TDs running the wildcat, as Cuero cruised to a 48-0 lead before emptying the bench in the second half.

This is the round when competition finally starts to heat up. Cuero will face Silsbee, a 19-9 winner over West Orange-Stark. I don't know anything about Silsbee, but I know WOS is always tough, so this could be a hell of a game.

Anybody in the Houston area might get a great chance to see Jordan in action. They play Friday at 7:30 PM in Katy at Legacy Stadium.

Jordan Whittington and Cuero advanced to the state semifinals with a 48-23 win over Navarro. Jordan had 5 carries for 101 yards and 3 TDs running the wildcat, as Cuero cruised to a 48-0 lead before emptying the bench in the second half.

This is the round when competition finally starts to heat up. Cuero will face Silsbee, a 19-9 winner over West Orange-Stark. I don't know anything about Silsbee, but I know WOS is always tough, so this could be a hell of a game.

Anybody in the Houston area might get a great chance to see Jordan in action. They play Friday at 7:30 PM in Katy at Legacy Stadium.

Silsbee and WOS played in a driving rain storm on Friday night. Heard it was raining sideways.

I was at the North Shore/Cy Fair game at NRG last night. North Shore is absolutely loaded with D1 players. The kicker is, they're all sophomores and juniors. I bet there are about 10 to 12 D1 players on that team. Here's another tidbit, NS has three JV teams. Between those three teams, they lost ONE game. Four kids on those JV teams have been offered D1 scholarships and have never played a down of varsity football. That said, that tells you how loaded NS is. A couple of other tidbits, Jimbo Fisher was on the NS sideline at the game. Hopefully aggy doesn't get a foot in the door with NS. Zach Evans, NS junior RB, had 17 carries for 139 yards and three receptions for 39 yards. Kid is a stud. Word is, Alabama is all over him.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
If Evans doesn't pick Texas, I hope he picks Bama. After reading all the vile posts by aggsy when Carter de-committed, I would love to see him torment them for the next 3 years.

If we don't get Evans, our offensive future is bleak. A side note, Jase McClellan from Aledo is an absolute stud. How the **** did Herman let him go?

Why is it that we are forced to turn over rocks in our own state and Bama/OU take who they want?

If we don't get Evans, our offensive future is bleak. A side note, Jase McClellan from Aledo is an absolute stud. How the **** did Herman let him go?

Why is it that we are forced to turn over rocks in our own state and Bama/OU take who they want?
I would have serious concerns over Jace McClellan. He may turn out to be a stud, but the wear and tear he has on him after staring at Aledo for 4 years could have major impacts on his ability to be a work horse back at the next level. Jonathan Gray could be a reminder. That is one of the main reason that Noah Cain went to IMG, he was tired of carrying the ball 4000x per game.

Also, I haven't read the full article but EJ Holland @ Horns247 put an article out updating on Trey Sanders. He said that he believes it still Bama in the lead but that Texas has closed the gap considerably and has finally gotten the parents on board, which has long been the hold up there. EJ didn't go as far as saying that Texas would land him, but that he wouldn't be surprised if we did either.

Reactions: 102 Pops
Also, I haven't read the full article but EJ Holland @ Horns247 put an article out updating on Trey Sanders. He said that he believes it still Bama in the lead but that Texas has closed the gap considerably and has finally gotten the parents on board, which has long been the hold up there. EJ didn't go as far as saying that Texas would land him, but that he wouldn't be surprised if we did either.

Watch, Sanders and Evans go to Bama or fAggy. Cash talks and BS walks.

I still think there's something to Bru and Trey talking about going to the same school after their Texas visit. We'll see. Even if it doesn't happen though, Derrian Brown is no slouch, and Ingram is gonna be an absolute beast the next two, hopefully three years.

To say the offense is gonna struggle if we don't get one 2020 RB is a bit ridiculous. I still think Evans is all ours, btw. The only way I don't see him coming to Texas, is if we get Sanders, and if that's the case, frankly my dear, I don't give a damn. lol

And you would think he would be in high demand. A great team guy, could be really good in the right system.
Shane has done nothing but be the best he can be for The University of Texas. Great kid who just got to the end of his rope when it comes to skill set.

Word going around is Buechele loves Austin, has no dreams of the NFL, and will stay.

I still think there's something to Bru and Trey talking about going to the same school after their Texas visit. We'll see. Even if it doesn't happen though, Derrian Brown is no slouch, and Ingram is gonna be an absolute beast the next two, hopefully three years.

To say the offense is gonna struggle if we don't get one 2020 RB is a bit ridiculous. I still think Evans is all ours, btw. The only way I don't see him coming to Texas, is if we get Sanders, and if that's the case, frankly my dear, I don't give a damn. lol

We have the aggys to thank for opening the door to Bama. Imagine the aggy wailing if we go the the B1G. Texas is going to be flooded with foreigners.

Word going around is Buechele loves Austin, has no dreams of the NFL, and will stay.

We need to be very selective in who we recruit. In the skill positions, five stars should be the standard. Every RB we have is average.

I've been thinking this same thing. Why would someone who won' t get drafted want to transfer. Play out your remaining time on the bench and get a free education from UT.

Because we have had 1 OL drafted in like a decade and haven't had a 1000 yard rusher in the same time it feels like.

Staff has to build some credibility first then it won't be so hard.

I've been thinking this same thing. Why would someone who won' t get drafted want to transfer. Play out your remaining time on the bench and get a free education from UT.
Well, he's been here 3 years. Some kids graduate in that timeframe and then transfer with their remaining eligibility and get a grad degree somewhere else. That's how G.Gilbert did it. He ended up with an MBA from SMU. Not sure of Buechele's status there though.

Buschele is a character guy I would be very comfortable sending my son off to play football for.

If this is the case, then I would want him to never leave Austin, Groom him to be the next coach at Texas. Make him a Grad Assistant and put him on the payroll with the other recruiting coordinators. Let him learn the game and how to coach QBs. You realize that coaching salaries are on par with pro football contracts from the 90's. If that is the case, why beat yourself up for a paycheck when you can have a 40 year career making crazy money. Buschele is 21 years old, by the time he retires at say 65, He likely will have made close to 200 million, this is of course assuming he becomes a OC at 35 and a head coach at 40 and has a 25 year career as a head coach at a major blue blood program like Texas.

If so, he'll go the way of a Tristian Houston or Kyle Porter. Just get recruited over.

Yeah I think he's already been recruited over. I think he's fourth string next year behind Rising and Thompson. I do think one of those guys ends up transferring though. The loser of the Rising/Thompson battle will soon be completely forgotten with Roschon coming to town.

Reactions: LonghornMM
Yeah I think he's already been recruited over. I think he's fourth string next year behind Rising and Thompson. I do think one of those guys ends up transferring though. The loser of the Rising/Thompson battle will soon be completely forgotten with Roschon coming to town.

Tap the breaks. Not sold on Roschon yet. These guys who get anointed tend to lack in results.

Tap the breaks. Not sold on Roschon yet. These guys who get anointed tend to lack in results.
Roschon will have to adapt much like Vince did but to a higher degree due to his athletic ability not being on Vince's level (I believe he is the only one that level). He will have to become a threat as a passer in order to be the next coming. He hasn't had to throw the ball consistently into tight windows at the high school level because is so much better of an athlete than those he is playing against.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT