ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Thread

Hey fellas, I had the pleasure of watching the Notre Dame Saints play McClintock High last night. It was Notre Dame in a route.

Our cruit WR Jake Smith plays for Notre Dame and had 2 TD's in the 1st quarter. Both were 60 yards or longer. I got to meet his mother too, very nice lady.

Some observations about him. Nothing about him physically really stands out. He looks just like another guy on the sideline. But that's where the similarities stop.

When this kid touches the ball . . . 'OH MY GOD!' He's got another gear like Marquis Goodwin had. Right now he's faster than anyone on Texas except for maybe Duvernay. But he's far more explosive than Duve.

The guy is going full speed in 2 steps, can cut on a dime and has great hands. He looks to me to be a faster, bigger version of Jordan Shipley. This guy will kill it on the bubble screen. I was told he runs a 4.3 and I believe it. This kid is going to be fantastic at UT.

Roschon Johnson - 4 star (0.9292) - TX - TX Commit
- Roschon is an impressive dual threat QB who has thrived at Port-Neches Groves both throwing and running the ball. He is an effortless runner with very good speed. He also shows a good ability to throw the ball, including a good deep ball.
-

Flipping through youtube and found some highlights of Roshon, since I haven't seen much film on him I decided to watch his video.

I will preface this by saying I don't watch QBs and look for if they competed pass but rather if they are making good decision, what is their footwork like and what does their release look like. Here are my impressions of Roshon.

1. The kid has a lightning quick release, he holds the ball high and when he spots his open receiver he gets the ball out of his hands about as fast as any QB I've seen on this level.

2. He has good footwork, especially on the high school level, in the highlights I saw he did throw off his back foot a number of times, but things like this are to be expected on this level.

3. Kid can run, and I mean he has Michael Vick type ability. I want to see him in an all-star game to get a better judgement on his running ability but what I saw he was making some kids look very foolish.

4. He has very good accuracy and when he is on the move he does a great job of squaring up his body to produce an accurate pass.

5. He looks to have a strong enough arm to do every pass on the tree, that includes the deep out.

I would not sleep on this kid, he has all the tool necessary to be a great QB at Texas.

I spoke to someone in the know about Roschon Johnson last night. He said that he has/had a knee and ankle injuries and is still nursing them. He played limited action last Friday night against Baytown Lee and got PNG out to a 21-0 lead before the coaches removed him from the game. I was told that Texas doctors are talking to him and examining him as well as doctors in Port Neches.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
Exactly. people seem to be forgetting Jalen. Don't take him redshirting as a slight of his talent. We just have the luxury of being able to RS him this year.

I have to update this. I've noticed Jalen Green playing on the punt return and kickoff teams. Against KSU anyway. If this has been the case all year, obviously he's not redshirting. They may want him ready and available in case sh*t happens.

Oh btw, another update. Jordan Whittington returned to action last Friday in Cuero's win over Wharton. In his first game this season, he caught 12 passes for 183 yards, and two TDs. Not a bad warmup. I think Cuero has a bye this week, so he should be well ready for district play next week.

I have to update this. I've noticed Jalen Green playing on the punt return and kickoff teams. Against KSU anyway. If this has been the case all year, obviously he's not redshirting. They may want him ready and available in case sh*t happens.
Green played vs Tulsa and KSU. No other games. He can play in 2 more and redshirt with the new rule.

Player participation charts through KSU

DocQy0nUYAAlFfr.jpg

DocQ1dXUUAANodU.jpg

Herman has already said that Kyle Porter is going to redshirt, so he'll be around for an extra year.

He will probably a pretty good back at the FCS level or possible G5 level. Never saw enough explosiveness from him to warrant the P5 level of play.

He will probably a pretty good back at the FCS level or possible G5 level. Never saw enough explosiveness from him to warrant the P5 level of play.
He was a good enough athlete coming out of high school to be a good player at the G5 level

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT