2019 Recruiting Thread

Cain says he woke up thinking Texas.

“To be honest, I was a Texas lean this morning. I was telling my parents, Texas, Texas, Texas,” Cain said. “But I prayed, and it was a hard night just going back on Penn State or Texas. Those were the two final schools that were here with me until this day. They stayed with me consistently. Honestly it came down to where would I be the most focused at and not around distractions. Everybody knows Austin is a big city but I have to be focused through and out. I’m a business dude, I gotta handle my business. And just be different. It might not be the most popular decision, but it is the best decision for myself.”

Basically talked himself out of coming to Austin.
This also wreaks of a heavy dose of negative recruiting.

I agree! But Herman has a plan.....I trust what he will pull off before Signing Day #2!

Jimbo and Riley ate Herman's lunch today. We are currently behind in the 2020 class as well. Herman needs to beat Georgia in the SB or he is a couple of early 2019 losses away from the hot seat. Cue Ryan Sublett.

Reactions: Deweygolfer
Jimbo and Riley ate Herman's lunch today. We are currently behind in the 2020 class as well. Herman needs to beat Georgia in the SB or he is a couple of early 2019 losses away from the hot seat. Cue Ryan Sublett.
The thing that gives me hope is that Herman's 2016 class was very poorly rated and yet full of great contributors.

Reactions: Iitbhorn3
What makes you think Lewis is gonna be an option right away? He's got his work cut for him trying to beat out the likes of Smith and Whittington. Hope he's enrolling early, because those two will be in Austin next month.

I actually think Jake Smith turns out to be the best of the bunch, and I'm biased toward Whittington. Jake is just a freak. Jamaal Charles level acceleration and speed, great hands, and umcanny awareness and ball tracking skills.

Tell you what Metcalf. Lewis, Duvernay, Smith, or Whittington as long as they can take it to the house from 55+ I'm going to be happy as hell.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
Alright I guess it was the 2017 class. I mean the one from 2 years ago, which was this time 2016. But they actually came in 2017

2017 I think we ended up at #11 maybe not sure. Any way I don’t think it’s as bad as some are making things out to be. It is for good forum discussion though.

Ate his lunch? How many head to heads did we lose to them? We're ranked 8...
We are #9. aggy #3 and ou #8. We lack high end talent at all the skill positions. We have no difference makers like Vince Young, Jamaal Charles, or even Ramonce Taylor. We lack the abiltiy to score on any play. We can throw jump balls but that's really not a dependable option with the current level of officiating. I could get excited about a Hodges or Shon Mitchel but alas we don't even have that level of talent.

We are #9. aggy #3 and ou #8. We lack high end talent at all the skill positions. We have no difference makers like Vince Young, Jamaal Charles, or even Ramonce Taylor. We lack pop.

That's an awful take. Again who did we lose head to head against Jimbo and Riley? And Jake Smith isnt high end or a difference maker? RJ isnt high end? Geez. Hyperbole much...

That's an awful take. Again who did we lose head to head against Jimbo and Riley? And Jake Smith isnt high end or a difference maker? RJ isnt high end? Geez. Hyperbole much...

Pay close attention to our offense when we play UGA. Specifically, look at our speed and our RB's ability to get 10+ yardage gains.

Reactions: UTGrad87
Dude we're ranked with the 8th best class in the country how can that be bad?

If your desire is to compete for conference titles then #8 does that. If your desire is to win Natty's then #8 is about 5 spots too low.

We really need a win in the Sugar. It's very important for national image.

No. You can win it all with an 8th ranked class. Didn't all those highly ranked classes under Mack Brown teach you anything? Think about all the times we finished ahead of OK in recruiting. Who's got all the Big XII titles? We did fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: HornsRuleU
If your desire is to compete for conference titles then #8 does that. If your desire is to win Natty's then #8 is about 5 spots too low.

We really need a win in the Sugar. It's very important for national image.

Not necessarily top 5.

I agree it will help to win on the National stage with that said if we do win get ready for the “Georgia wasn’t really wanting to play” from the media and fans.

And Riley is still eating...……Just signed Marcus Stripling, 4 Star DE...……..Not saying this will happen, but don't be surprised to see Fields and Haselwood end up in Norman too.....

We are #9. aggy #3 and ou #8. We lack high end talent at all the skill positions. We have no difference makers like Vince Young, Jamaal Charles, or even Ramonce Taylor. We lack the abiltiy to score on any play. We can throw jump balls but that's really not a dependable option with the current level of officiating. I could get excited about a Hodges or Shon Mitchel but alas we don't even have that level of talent.
I think your skill position guys this class are strong, the problem area seems to be DT and to a lesser extent OL. But this is a good class, if your analysts were not setting you guys up for disappointment - you'd likely be happy. Look at 2018 & 2019 classes combined. Ya'll are doing fine.

RB coach is supposed to be one of your ace recruiters, and I have to say that Stan Drayton's work has been pretty damned underwhelming so far.

Reactions: 2300 Nueces
And Riley is still eating...……Just signed Marcus Stripling, 4 Star DE...……..Not saying this will happen, but don't be surprised to see Fields and Haselwood end up in Norman too.....
Don't get too excited about Stripling, you backed into him. He didn't have the options you think he did.

Don't get too excited about Stripling, you backed into him. He didn't have the options you think he did.
Haha, uh huh. His only other option was probably North Texas, am I right? Chucklz

Last edited:
Cain says that “But I prayed, and it was a hard night just going back on Penn State or Texas. If he had rather b up in the snow and crap at State College or fun in the sun in Austin, not really a tossup if ya been to State College PA.

Funny how these guys thinks God helps make FB decisions...God don't pay Light Bills or Credit Card payments or Insurance or rent or car payments..too many people asking!

Hook'em

Anybody else reading that ag could potentially flip J. Shepherd....?
Not really. Actually not at all. When is the last time we went to the big 12 championship? Herman gave us a winning season his first year here. Second year we beat OU and took us to the big 12 championship. Two top #10 classes. Not sure why you would even think about putting Herman on the hot seat for this. We're going to a new years 6 which we haven't seen in a while .... against a tough, rightfully so #5 Georgia and you're saying if Herman doesn't win he should be in the hot seat? i disagree

Tom Herman.. the man who beat Florida State with new aggy veteran coach Jimbo Fisher?

Tom Herman.. the man who beat Bob Stoops OU

both WITH HOUSTON... We stick with Herman (i am) OR if we're screaming for more and faster then we shut up and put up and finally flex our bank account and go after whoever we want.

In your defense though, we really have no excuse not to win big 12 next year. I really dont see many teams posing a threat, biggest one being LSU. After that 1. ou b/c both teams show up this game 2. TCU b/c Gary Patterson 3. ISU - their home turf and have upset a few teams there.