ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Thread

Both OU and UT had good years. So don't understand the taunting back and forth. But isn't Fisher the elephant in the room? If A&M is getting kids OU and Texas would both take plus some SEC area types that are highly rated, thinking A&M the biggest problem going forward recruiting wise. OU's escape valve may be California. Horns' is probably that there are some many great HS players in Texas UT will always get its share.

Reactions: mm42
Both OU and UT had good years. So don't understand the taunting back and forth. But isn't Fisher the elephant in the room? If A&M is getting kids OU and Texas would both take plus some SEC area types that are highly rated, thinking A&M the biggest problem going forward recruiting wise. OU's escape valve may be California. Horns' is probably that there are some many great HS players in Texas UT will always get its share.

aggsy will aggsy it up, they always do. They got the new coach bump, next year they will finish the same way they finished this year with 4 or 5 losses. Jimbo is a good hire because he is successful, however Texas and blOwU have a built advantage, they can go to the playoffs.

aggsy will aggsy it up, they always do. They got the new coach bump, next year they will finish the same way they finished this year with 4 or 5 losses. Jimbo is a good hire because he is successful, however Texas and blOwU have a built advantage, they can go to the playoffs.
This is why UT and OU are tied together this bowl season. It seems weird, but you guys should be pulling like crazy for OU to win or at least not get killed. It is also why they should be pulling for you guys vs. Georgia. If both get smoked, it would make the current narrative seem obviously true. If one of you guys win, it pings the narrative that the sec is superior. If you both win, it could totally swing national perception.

So weird. Sooners pulling for Longhorns, Longhorns pulling for Sooners, cats loving dogs, the end could be near. Even I am torn on the OU/Bama game. I want Bama taken down a notch, but would prefer it is done by Clemson. But Bama just needs to get beat by whoever can. Their dominance is hurting us all, and the game itself.

Reactions: LonghornMM
OB War Room:

The early signing period will come to a close on Friday night. While we wait for Isaiah Hookfin to make a decision, let’s take a quick position-by-position look at where things stand for Texas heading into the dead period and then the push for the NSD2.

Quarterback
Roschon Johnson – This one has been done for a while and Texas landed its top target. A perfect fit for what Texas wants to do offensively, Johnson is as impressive off the field as he is on it, and that’s saying something.
What’s left – Nothing. All wrapped up here.

Running back
Derrian Brown – For all the hand-wringing over the guys that didn’t sign with Texas on Wednesday, the Longhorns actually signed a terrific back in Brown. Too many people have been so focused on the ones that got away that they’re probably not appreciating Brown’s talents. A Rivals250 member, Brown is a home threat that should add some pop to the Texas backfield. Another guy that fits the mold of what you want in a back in today’s game of wide open offenses.

What’s left – Texas still wants one more at this position and after missing on Noah Cain (and Trey Sanders to a lesser degree), the staff will have to look high and low for potential options. The obvious name to watch is Katy’s Deondrick Glass, who told OB last week that he’s working on setting up an official visit for Texas in January. Oklahoma State is still heavily involved there and landing Glass, should Texas push, is no slam dunk but I like Texas’ chances if they get him and his family back on campus.

Wide receiver
Jake Smith – The speedy receiver is just what this offense (or any offense) needs and he’s a guy who should have a chance to contribute right away, even though he won’t enroll until the summer. There was a brief moment after the Maryland game when I thought Texas might have to fight to hang onto Smith’s commitment. Silly me. He stayed locked in and never looked around.
Jordan Whittington – Big-time talent. Big, strong receiver who can play out of the slot and be a match-up nightmare. He’ll enroll in January and plays for a state title this weekend.
Marcus Washington – There were a few nervous moments in this one down the stretch but the Texas staff did a good job of locking Washington in when Missouri came snooping around late. Washington’s not a burner as an outside guy, but he has good size, good body control and is terrific at making contested catches.
Kennedy Lewis – A young man who really, really wanted to be a part of this class and things worked out in the end. Lewis actually silently committed to Texas before UT and Peyton Powell parted ways. Big kid who runs well and is just scratching the surface of his potential.

What’s left – It’s the Bru McCoy show. The five-star out of Mater Dei in Cali had been considering signing in the early period and then announcing his decision on January 5, but his dad told OB on Thursday afternoon that McCoy probably would not sign and would just announce his destination at the All-American Bowl. Don’t ask me if it’ll be Texas or USC because I honestly don’t know. I don’t think Bru even knows. USC insiders I talk to remain confident, but I still think this one is much closer than they realize.

Offensive line
Tyler Johnson – Big, physical prospect who will enroll in January to get a head start on his career. Could help out at both guard or tackle.
Javonne Shepherd – He didn’t sign early, and will take a Texas A&M visit in January. You all know the story here … this one will have everyone pulling their hair out all the way up until he signs his letter of intent in February.

What’s left - Isaiah Hookfin will sign his letter of intent on Friday morning. By the time a lot of you have read this, Texas just might have added a key piece to its recruiting class. What looked like a big get for Baylor on Wednesday now looks really good for Texas. Beyond that, the staff will try to find at least one more guy to add to the equation. Who might that be? Got me, but keep an eye on the JUCO ranks and a possible grad transfer. Finding new OL candidates will be a big priority, but hanging on to Javonne Shepherd may be priority number one.

Tight end
Brayden Liebrock and Jared Wiley – I’ll package these two together since their stories are pretty similar. Both committed early, both stayed locked in and both are big guys who move well and have good hands. Wiley will enroll in January so he’ll get a bit of a head start. Love his potential upside as he continues to develop.

What’s left – Nada. Texas has been done here for a while.

Defensive line
Jacoby Jones – Texas needs a couple guys out of this group to come in and be ready to play, so getting Jones to flip his commitment from Oklahoma was huge. Big, physical defensive end who will almost certainly be in the rotation from the time he gets on campus.
Myron Warren – Am I crazy for loving his film as much as I do? He’ll need to adjust to some things and fine-tune his craft, but Warren looks like a guy who has as much upside as just about anyone in this class. Getting him to sign early was a big development for Oscar Giles.
Peter Mpagi – Think Charles Omenihu here. Mpagi will graduate early, he’s young for his class and he’ll probably need a year or two to add some size and strength. But he’s a guy with some athleticism and a nice frame that should develop well. High character guy too, who won’t mind putting in the work and being patient.
T'Vondre Sweat – One of the first commitments of the class, Sweat was listed on UT’s press release at 285 pounds. That’s a grown ass man already. It’ll be interesting to see if his frame leans up once he gets on campus or if he grows and eventually becomes an interior guy.

What’s left – If the right prospect came along, I doubt Texas would turn him away but this group might be finished. Nice job by Giles and the entire staff of addressing their needs.

Linebacker
De'Gabriel Floyd – Everyone’s favorite prospect, Floyd will head to Austin in January and is looking to come in and make an early impact. He’s been a huge supporter for Texas throughout this recruiting season and having him on campus to help host official visitors in January will be big.
Caleb Johnson – Big recruiting win for Texas here, landing the speedy JUCO product. Johnson is still on the men from a labrum injury in his shoulder, but he’ll be counted on to play early.
David Gbenda – He’s flown a bit under the radar because he’s gone pretty quiet in recent months, but he’s a player who flashes really good athleticism at the position who will start out in the middle.
Marcus Tillman – Another early enrollee, Tillman is a good athlete who is still getting used to being a full-time linebacker.

What’s left – Texas is pretty much done here after the late addition of Caleb Johnson.

Defensive backs
Kenyatta Watson – Big get here. How good is Watson? Good enough that programs from all over the country were trying to work their way in down the stretch, but Watson remained firm.
Chris Adimora – Athletic, rangy safety who could help at a few different spots in the defensive backfield. Like Watson, Adimora had some schools out west trying to make a late charge, but he never wavered.
Marques Caldwell – Caldwell missed most of his senior season so he’ll have to shake off some rust, but he’s a corner with size and athleticism. Fits the mold of the type of player Jason Washington has had success with in the past.
Tyler Owens – Freakish athlete who blew the staff away with his showing at a camp this summer. Great find by the staff and a guy whose athleticism and size will make him an interesting component for the defense.

What’s left – Texas hosted Jalen Catalon on an official visit before the dead period began, and he’s looking to decide in January. There’s still work to do there with Arkansas and TCU sitting in a favorable position, but Texas will try to keep chipping away there. I don’t necessarily expect any other prospects to emerge, but there could be room for a wildcard or two at DB or really any other position.

Get to Fox Sports Southwest, Jordan Whittington is about to play in the State Championship
1 carry from the wildcat, 1 touchdown from 70 something yards out. Dude is clearly the fastest dude on the field and its not close. But it is obvious to me that he should start on the offensive side of the ball. Defense doesn't seem to be his desire

Reactions: StainedOrange
1 carry from the wildcat, 1 touchdown from 70 something yards out. Dude is clearly the fastest dude on the field and its not close. But it is obvious to me that he should start on the offensive side of the ball. Defense doesn't seem to be his desire

He's Christian Kirk.

At this point I'm very happy with the QB situation at Texas. If Buschele stays for his last two years of eligibility then We will have Roshon and Card available plus couple others by the time Ehlinger leaves. It' also gives Texas the opportunity to go 100% after Malik Hornsby to come in with Card.

sorry just noticed this is not only senior year. There's some senior stuff, but I saw clips of him making Jordan and Joshua Moore look foolish, so that's definitely last year.
Per Hamm (so take it with a grain of salt) Jordan Moore is transferring to Texas to join his brother.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
Per Hamm (so take it with a grain of salt) Jordan Moore is transferring to Texas to join his brother.

That's actually believable, but Hamm said it so nah. Lol.

Isn't Jordan playing DB in college? Not sure if where he'd fit in at Texas.

as far as Rising and Thompson goes.....yall do realize that both Bama and Georgia have their second string QB's on the transfer portal as well.....it happens to all top teams as a result of top tier recruiting. Hell....this means we are getting back to the top.

Reactions: 2300 Nueces
That's actually believable, but Hamm said it so nah. Lol.

Isn't Jordan playing DB in college? Not sure if where he'd fit in at Texas.
Seems weird to me. I would think playing time would come much easier at A&M for defensive backs. Texas had the best haul in the country in 2018 and a solid group in 2019 (10 DB's between both classes). A&M's 2018 group is now a group of 1, and the older guys obviously struggled this year (only 5 DB's between 2018 & 2019, maybe 6 with Banks). We are way over our 85, but this seems like a weird guy to move on.

Seems weird to me. I would think playing time would come much easier at A&M for defensive backs. Texas had the best haul in the country in 2018 and a solid group in 2019 (10 DB's between both classes). A&M's 2018 group is now a group of 1, and the older guys obviously struggled this year (only 5 DB's between 2018 & 2019, maybe 6 with Banks). We are way over our 85, but this seems like a weird guy to move on.
Not good for A&M they need him as a starter or primary back up next year. He probably had major FOMO being stuck at aggy while his twin bro is livin the good life at Texas.

It was a good class,but great is yet to come.I think our conditioning and weight programs are much better under Herman than Strong and even Mack which should produce better results.The culture has changed for the better,however,beware that Georgia is a damn good team and it will be a tough team to beat.It will be a good test of how our lines measure up.
It seems like whoever our S&C coach is, he comes across as the biggest bad dude, ready to put the prior ones to shame. And I'm sure 95% of the other programs feel the same way about their current S&C coach.

Then, someone does something that's really radical, and a kid gets hurt. Or worse.

A little Christmas skepticism for ya...

Yeah doesn't sound like a good move playing wise. I'm not sure how good he is. All I saw of him in high school was his buddy Jordan Whittington running circles around him. Wasn't that impressed.

It seems like whoever our S&C coach is, he comes across as the biggest bad dude, ready to put the prior ones to shame. And I'm sure 95% of the other programs feel the same way about their current S&C coach.

Then, someone does something that's really radical, and a kid gets hurt. Or worse.

I'm still wondering if that boy at Maryland had malignant hyperthermia. That super high temperature seems suspicious to me.

Reactions: txleapd
Confirmed if Herman needs him. We need to clear out scholarships for incoming class as Jimbo overhauls. We tried him at safety, but it never panned out. You guys may have more luck with his brother being present, he may be more motivated.

Confirmed if Herman needs him. We need to clear out scholarships for incoming class as Jimbo overhauls. We tried him at safety, but it never panned out. You guys may have more luck with his brother being present, he may be more motivated.

Pretty sure if he comes to Texas it will be as a prefered walk on, Scholarships are pretty low right now.

Ok.but going on the fact what I see on the field.Kids that get stronger,faster,will play with a little more confidence;I have seen TCU and Baylor climb to the top because of their off-season programs with 2 and 3 star talent and felt over the years lacking at Texas until now.

Reactions: HornsRuleU
Do we have any kids at these all-star games this weekend?

Do we have any possible signees that are doing the pretentious hat pick at any of these games?
Texas commits in Orlando
Kenyatta Watson II, cornerback, Buford (Ga.) Grayson

FYI: 6-2/182; 4 stars; No. 135-ranked prospect in 2019 class

Commitment status: Signed

Watson committed early and stuck to his guns throughout the recruiting process. The long, rangy cornerback can play multiple positions in the secondary. He shouldn’t be shocked by the talent in the game considering he plays at a football factory like Grayson. Watson will enrolls next summer and expects to push for playing time as a freshman with no Kris Boyd or Davante Davis in the secondary next season.

Roschon Johnson, quarterback, Port Neches-Groves

FYI: 6-1/192; 4 stars; No. 4-ranked dual-threat quarterback

Commitment status: Signed, enrolling early

Fab 55 ranking: 27

Texas wants to redshirt quarterbacks and successfully did so with Cam Rising and Casey Thompson in 2018. The play-now culture at the position means Tom Herman and company can’t count on the current numbers. The only known is Sam Ehlinger. Both freshmen are in New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl, and exploring the transfer portal doesn’t mean a transfer. Still, Johnson becomes an important commitment and will be on campus for spring practice.

David Gbenda, inside linebacker, Katy Cinco Ranch

FYI: 6-0/218; 4 stars; No. 15-ranked inside linebacker

Fab 55 ranking: 40

Gbenda doesn’t demand the headlines of some of the other signees in Texas’ class. He’ll get his chance to prove he belongs among the nation’s elite in Orlando. It’ll be a large step-up for Gbenda, and these all-star games aren’t built for linebackers to enjoy much success. The defense must play base and no blitzing is allowed. Gbenda is a speedy middle linebacker who covers a ton of ground.

Brayden Liebrock, tight end, Chandler (Ariz.)

FYI: 6-5/220; 4 stars; No. 5-ranked tight end

Texas wants to utilize the tight end position in the passing game and players like Liebrock hope to make that possible in 2019. Andrew Beck simply doesn’t provide the passing threat that Herman and offensive coordinator Tim Beck want at the position. Liebrock does, and the prolific tight end is college-ready as a receiver. He’ll need to add weight and continue to improve as a blocker to become an every-down player.

Marcus Washington, wide receiver, St. Louis (Mo.) Trinity Catholic

FYI: 6-2/191; 4 stars; No. 27-ranked wide receiver

Washington made the coaching staff, and fans, sweat his commitment in the weeks leading up to the early signing period. Texas won out over Missouri to gain the signature of one of the country’s best wide receivers. Like Liebrock, Washington helped lead his team to a state title as a senior. He was at The Opening Finals, but suffered an injury early and missed out on most of the action.

not sure whos at the army all america game

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT