ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Thread

Interested to see who it is. Another random trigger pull at a random time, as far as I know no one is on campus right now. Could it be 2020 RB?

Gbenda is the speculation as he recently stated he'll be announcing soon.

Horns247 Recruiting Mailbag

I long for the days when we had an elite offensive line. When our OL controlled the line, the receivers looked better. The running backs looked better. The quarterbacks looked better. Even the water tasted better. Do you expect this recruiting class to be a big step in that direction? -- OrangeIsNewBlack

EJ: We had a lot of questions about offensive line recruiting this week. So let me just address things big picture. Herb Hand was an upgrade as a recruiter at the position. Every target I’ve talked to has said nothing but good things about him as a recruiter and a coach. I believe he has what it takes to land the elite of the elite at the position. And it’s showing early. Texas is the frontrunner for Tyler Johnson and is a top three school for the likes of Branson Bragg, Stacey Wilkins, Javonne Shepherd and Kenyon Green. Hand has reshaped the recruitments of Shepherd and Green and once he gets some 1-on-1 time with Bragg, I feel like the Longhorns will retake the momentum there. Hand is more than capable of brining in an impressive haul this cycle. By the way, I love Orange Is The New Black.

Mike: EJ said it best. We’ve yet to see how he coaches and develops here, but the early recruiting returns on Hand are impressive.

Who are the guys that you are close to putting in a crystal ball for Texas? And how close are you for each one? -- iits_JeremyP

EJ: Well, we both just put in Crystal Ball picks for four-star wide receiver Dylan Wright. He was definitely the closest earlier in the week. But obviously, that pick is in. I would say I’m pretty close to putting in one for Louisiana athlete Makiya Tongue. He loved his recent visit, and I’m continuing to hear that the Longhorns have the inside track. His return visit is going to be huge. I wouldn’t say I’m really close on any other recruits. I’ve considered putting in picks for Rian Davis (he loves UT and will visit soon) and Javonne Shepherd (UT is building steam and it would fire up my Twitter mentions, which I enjoy).

Mike: Dylan Wright would have been the simple answer, but like EJ said, we’ve already done that. I think one player EJ didn’t mention that I’m close on is Jalen Catalon. It’s going to be a tough fight with some other schools, but I feel like Craig Naivar is doing a stellar job in that recruitment. Depending on how his official goes, I think we could be close to putting one in for NaNa Osafo-Mensah. It’s amazing what Texas has done in just a short period of time.

Are we going to be heavy players for Jermaine Johnson and Lakia Henry? Is there any huge JUCO offensive tackle out there that we are showing interest in? I was sick when we lost Badara Traore to the Cajuns. -- UTwildcatter34

EJ: Yes, I do believe Texas will be major players with both. Henry has been in constant communication with the staff and wants to make a visit to UT this summer. While he didn’t play with Gary Johnson, the Texas linebacker went to his junior college and will be involved in his recruitment. Johnson was really excited about the Texas offer when he got it last month. He’s pegged to UCLA right now, but a visit to Texas could change things. And he does plan to visit Austin in the summer. As far as JUCO offensive tackles go, that's not a route they are currently exploring.

Mike: As we’ve seen with this staff, don’t count them out when they get kids on campus. Todd Orlando usually makes a lasting impact with prospects like Henry, and Texas should be in it. Alabama will be tough to beat, but Texas has a scheme and need they can sell.

Is Texas A&M or Alabama the more serious threat for Demarvin Leal? -- HD4evr

EJ: Can we please get you a new username!? Seriously man, if you want a change, I can make it happen. Hope you’re enjoying the coverage here. Anyway, I believe Texas A&M is the bigger threat. The Aggies are pushing and will likely get him on campus in the near future. However, I think Texas has a clear advantage in this one. The Longhorns have impressed him on both of his offseason visits, and the staff has won over his mother. I feel like Oscar Giles will finally close on a monster fish.

Mike: As much as Alabama is appetizing to defensive linemen, I’ve always gotten the vibe from Leal that he will stay close. I think it will be between Texas and A&M, but EJ and I both feel Texas is in the lead.

How do you feel about the Texas’ chances with Makiya Tongue and Chester Kimbrough from Louisiana? -- Racer X

EJ: As I mentioned above, I’m really close to putting in a pick for Tongue. With another successful trip, the Longhorns might be able to reel him in. It’s a little bit of a different story with Kimbrough. Right now, I am hearing that Florida is the team to beat in his recruitment. Texas, however, is under strong consideration and should receive a visit at some point this offseason.

Mike: A key Louisiana source recently told me that Kimbrough’s recruitment is pretty wide open, but that Florida held the early edge. It was no surprise to see the Crystal Ball move their way in the last few weeks. Texas simply needs to get him on campus and then we will have a better idea where he stands. I’ve been told they might get an official.

Is Maninoa Tufono considering Texas very highly at all? Saw some positive Twitter interaction. -- vinnyC40

EJ: He will remain a long shot until he makes his way to campus. But he’s taking a harder look at Texas thanks to the commitment of DeGabriel Floyd. The two are friends, and I’ve been told Tufono really respects Floyd. If the Longhorns can get him in for a visit, things could get serious. For now, UT remains on the outside looking in.

Mike: As is the case with many of these out-of0state guys, you have to get them on campus. Once they do that, they become much more serious contenders. If they could get him on campus with Floyd, you never know what could happen.

Per EJ @ 247

— According to multiple sources, five-star Mater Dei (Calif.) athlete Bru McCoy is planning to make an unofficial visit to Texas at some point before the end of the month. Texas is also working hard to get him on campus for an official visit over the summer, which we expect to happen. We have also heard that Texas is very much a legitimate player in this recruitment.

— Don’t be surprised if Texas gets four-star Punahou (HI) inside linebacker Maninoa Tufonoin for a visit this offseason. Tufono has expressed a lot of interest in Texas over social media, and Horns247 has learned that he has an uncle that lives in the San Antonio-area. Texas is working hard on Tufono, and it seems like he is keeping his options wide open, so there is definitely a chance here.

— There have been a lot of questions about numbers this class and how many Texas will take at each position. I’ve been told the staff doesn’t want to lock in positional numbers at this point in the year. They understand there is fluidity to roster needs throughout a cycle and simply want to emphasize recruiting the best prospects. As far as class size goes, I’ve always maintained that numbers have a way of working themselves out, and I wouldn’t be surprised if UT takes more than 20 this cycle.

— Texas is set to host one of the top offensive linemen in the 2020 recruiting class for an unofficial visit next weekend. Horns247 has learned that four-star Clear Creek guard Chad Lindberg will be at the Texas spring game. Lindberg holds early offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Georgia, Oklahoma, Texas A&M and others.

Bwik55,

Just curious...what site are you using for your “Star” rankings for the players above in your posts?

Thanks

Lotta noise about Leal going to aggy.

Doesn't seem to be an official announcement, but a lot of CB switches after their spring game.

^^^

Pretty sure he is using the 247 composite that averages the big 3 services.
Gracias. They're really just opinions...one's not more right than the other. Probably a good way to look at a player is through a composite of all the people who are ranking them versus just one site.

Good examples: The two WRs who just committed to OU are ranked as the numbers 3 and 6 recruits in the nation. At any position. So they're obviously five star kids for Rivals. Whatever site Bwik55 used has them as four star kids. That could be a big drop off. That means one set of eyes sees them as the top kids in the nation. Another set of eyes or two sees them as a lot less.

Neither one's right...or wrong. It's just an educated guess on a lot of these guys. Either or, finding a kid who is right for you is more important than what a star says.

Reactions: westx
Lotta noise about Leal going to aggy.

Doesn't seem to be an official announcement, but a lot of CB switches after their spring game.
Same with Garrett Wilson to tOSU. But I think we’ve moved on to other WRs

On Wilson I don't think they have moved on, and even if he commits to OSU they will keep on him til signing day. He is a local kid that a lot of people think is once a decade type WR talent.

Reactions: Superpup
Quick question---- are we to expect a number of kids to commit after the spring game this weekend?

On Wilson I don't think they have moved on, and even if he commits to OSU they will keep on him til signing day. He is a local kid that a lot of people think is once a decade type WR talent.

Wilson’s brothers live in Ohio and he wants to win Championships are good reasons. Texas isn’t at that level yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT