ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Thread

^No offer yet, but he loves texas and I love this response haha

^^Kid has offer and will visit this weekend, if the coaches push he will commit.

^^Texas is the leader here

Bragg is ours, unless we screw the pooch. then let him reel in the rest.
Do you have some inside info? I heard Stanford is a real threat and he is very interested. Anytime UT is in a battle with Stanford we seem to lose, and I don't blame them.

Do you have some inside info? I heard Stanford is a real threat and he is very interested. Anytime UT is in a battle with Stanford we seem to lose, and I don't blame them.
Stanford is a tough one to recruit against, because if Stanford is interested in you and you in them, that is one that is tough to overcome. Just seems that Stanford is academically an Ivy League while also being able to compete for championships athletically.

you are correct in that stanford would be one that could take him away, again barring something unforeseen. very intelligent family, that also values athletics. dad was a coach. may still be.

but as far as the arkansas, a&ms, oklahomas... it's a two-horse race.

you are correct in that stanford would be one that could take him away, again barring something unforeseen. very intelligent family, that also values athletics. dad was a coach. may still be.

but as far as the arkansas, a&ms, oklahomas... it's a two-horse race.
Gotcha! thanks for the info

The problem with Stanford is everyone knows a degree from there turns into real dollars. However, then even more real problem with them is they have a great football program with a long track record of turning out linemen for the pros.

A degree from Texas will also carry great prestige but until we reestablish our ability to get the big uglies to the next level we will have tough sledding against them.

Per EJ @ 247

— Texas received a pleasant surprise when four-star Converse Judson defensive linemanDeMarvin Lealmade his way to campus this weekend. I’m told the elite prospect had a great time in Austin as the Longhorns rolled out the red carpet. From everything I have been able to gather, it’s safe to say the Longhorns have the early edge in this recruitment. However, I am told by a source familiar with Leal’s recruitment that he still wants to make a couple of visits before shutting it down. Alabama and Texas A&M are the biggest threats. But all signs point to Texas as of today. He would like to make a decision before the summer.

— A factor playing in Texas’ favor in the Leal recruitment is his mother. I am told by a source close to his recruitment that his mother absolutely loves the Texas program. In fact, Leal’s mother has spent some time alone on the UT campus and has a strong relationship with the Longhorns coaching staff. Leal’s mother is also very close to Director of Recruiting Bryan Carrington, who is playing a major role in this recruitment. It seems like Texas has really won over his mother, so there is half the battle.

— Four-star wide receiver Garrett Wilson made his way to campus this weekend for an unofficial visit. But the short trip to the Forty Acres didn’t change the dynamic of his recruitment by any sense. I have my Crystal Ball on Texas for now, but Ohio State hit a homerun on its visit, and I’m told the Buckeyes have the momentum in this recruitment. Texas did a good job of immediately getting him back on campus after his trip to Columbus, but there is still work to be done, especially from a football aspect. Wilson is not sold on UT’s offense right now, which is playing a big role in his decision. With all of this said, I’m told Texas hasn’t lost any confidence here. This recruitment is going to come down to the official visits, and the Longhorns are at their best in crunch time.

— Texas also played host to another local four-star wide receiver inElijah Higgins. It’s unclear what exactly is holding Higgins back from pulling the trigger, but it is very clear that the Longhorns have the advantage here. Higgins plans to be back on campus later this spring and was wowed by the atmosphere on campus this weekend. The only school that still seems to be a threat here is Stanford. Higgins is a high academic kid and is intrigued by the idea of heading West. But at the end of the day, we would be surprised if he doesn’t stay close to home.

— Elite defensive backLewis Cinemade his first recruiting visit since moving to the Dallas-area from Massachusetts. The fact that it was to Texas speaks volumes of the Longhorns’ chances here. Texas safeties coachCraig Naivarhas been working night and day on Cine since offering and was attached to his hip throughout his three-day weekend stay. I’m told that Cine found the visit eye opening and that the Longhorns are now a serious player. Cine is also a high academic kid and loved the business school. Penn State is still the leader here, but Texas has plenty of time to change that.

— Four-star offensive linemanBranson Braggtook in the Longhorns’ practice on Saturday and watched the offensive line play closely. He was impressed with howHerb Handworked with the guys in the trenches and is quickly building a strong relationship with him. However, this was a short trip due to Texas Relays, so Bragg hardly got any 1-on-1 time with Hand. He will make a return visit at some point in the next few weeks.

— The recruitment of four-star outside linebackerNaNa Osafo-Mensahis a tough one to read. While Notre Dame entered the weekend as the favorite, I feel like Texas did enough to pull even. The Longhorns not only impressed Osafo-Mensah but also did some major work on his mother and head coach — both accompanied him on the trip. It should also be noted that UT hosted his 7v7 coach earlier in the week. BothTodd OrlandoandOscar Gilesspent extended time with Osafo-Mensah and really sold him on scheme fit as well as UT’s academics. This recruitment is going to come down to his official visits to Notre Dame and Texas before his May decision.

— On the graduate transfer front, Texas played host to former Wake Forest wide receiverTabari Hines. I am told that right now, Texas is probably the team to beat. He does have an offer from the Longhorns and would be a take. In fact, he is the top grad transfer on the board. As I reported last week, Texas really wants some immediate help at slot receiver. If the Longhorns miss on Hines, they will make a harder push for former Notre Dame wide receiverCJ Sanders.

— It’s crazy that we’re at this point in the article and are just getting to the commitment of four-star California outside linebacker De’Gabriel Floyd. The Longhorns hosted Floyd all week long and felt like they had a strong chance to land him before he got on his flight back home. UT didn’t pressure Floyd but still earned a verbal pledge. The UT staff wanted him to be sure, and Floyd was. He is completely solid, and we don’t expect him to waver at this time. Floyd is pondering enrolling early and is ready to help the Longhorns recruit.Todd Orlandoand the aforementioned Carrington did a tremendous job with this recruitment.

— With Floyd in the fold, the Longhorns have an opportunity to make an even bigger impact in the state of California this cycle.Tom Hermanhas made the Golden State a priority since arriving in Austin and will continue to do so moving forward. Floyd plays on the same 7v7 team as linebackerSpencer Lytle, who recently visited, and five-state athleteBru McCoy, who is planning to visit soon. Floyd’s commitment could also play a role in the recruitment of five-star cornerbackChris Steele, who recently named Texas a top school.

— Texas hosted several top prospects from the state of California over the weekend as Premium Sports 7v7, which is Floyd’s 7v7 team, invaded Austin. Out of all the prospects that visited, I have reason to believe that four-star wide receiverBraedin Huffman-Dixonand elite quarterbackBryce Young, the nation’s top 2020 signal-caller have the best shot to get offered. Texas has been in contact with Young for a while, and Huffman-Dixon was blown away by his time on campus.

— Texas played host to several trainers and 7v7 figures this week and over the weekend, including Clay Mack, Joey Moss of True Buzz 7v7, the aforementioned Premium Sports 7v7, Doug Smith of Dominate the Day 7v7 and Rischad Whitfield aka Footwork King. Mack, who works with several top defensive backs, said his relationship with Texas is growing stronger and that loves what Herman andJason Washingtonare doing in Austin. Moss is very close to Dylan Wright, so having him in its corner could go a long way for Texas. Whitfield worked withToneil Carterand is heavily involved in the recruitments ofJavonne ShepherdandDemond Demas. Herman is continuing to embrace 7v7 coaches and personal trainers. He knows the game has changed and is connecting with as many people as possible to win recruitments.

— I had an extended conversation with Whitfield on Easter Sunday. He told me that he loved every second of his experience on campus this weekend. He arrived early in the morning with Demas and rising 2020 quarterbackHunter Dunnand did not leave until late in the afternoon. He met with Herman for about 20 minutes and called him one of the most genuine coaches he’s ever met. Whitfield said the Longhorns staff is extremely welcoming and treated him like a king. He added that Demas loved the visit and felt like it was extremely personal.

— While Whitfield met with Herman in his office, he actually FaceTimed Shepherd. Herman is personally involved in that recruitment and is working extremely hard to reel him in. Whitfield is expected to bring Shepherd down to Austin for an unofficial visit this weekend. I am told that Shepherd plans to make a decision in June and that he will use spring official visits. Shepherd recently released his final eight schools, but I have reason to believe that this one is still down to Texas and Texas A&M. The official visits will be the deciding factor here.

Reactions: Scholz
Per TFB:
- Brainiacs are saying Watson's mom prefers UT over ND and his dad says Texas is out-recruiting ND.

- Super K is now saying things are happening with RB Trey Sanders.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
Per EJ @ 247:
— According to a source in Louisiana, Texas currently has the inside track for University Lab (La.) athlete Makiya Tongue. The three-star prospect recently made a visit to Texas and was blown away by his time in Austin. We expect him to make another trip in the near future. Tongue prefers to play wide receiver at the next level but is probably best suited to play linebacker. Texas has pitched him on the opportunity to play either.

— Texas Director of Recruiting Bryan Carrington has fully embraced his new title and is hard at work on a number of key Texas targets, including elite running back Noah Cain. Carrington FaceTimed with Cain a few days ago and is continuing to become more of a factor in his recruitment. Remember, Cain is scheduled to make an unofficial visit to Texas for its spring game in a few weeks.

— Elite 2020 running back Zachary Evans announced his commitment to the Under Armour All-America Game tonight. As expected, the Oklahoma rumors were just that — rumors. Evans remains high on Texas, and his brother, who is a father figure to him, is very pro-UT. As I mentioned earlier, Evans and his brother are looking to visit Texas very soon, possibly this week.

— Texas recently extended an offer to four-star Destrehan (La.) running back John Emery. But the Longhorns are not in the mix in this recruitment. He announced a top eight that did not include Texas a few days ago. Cain and Trey Sanders remain priorities at the position, while the Longhorns are actively recruiting Marcus Major and Deondrick Glass.

Per EJ @ 247

— Both Mike (all the way from Jamaica) and I put in our Crystal Ball picks for four-star wide receiver Dylan Wright to Texas today. I am told that there is a lot of confidence in regards to Wright heading into his visit weekend. Tom Herman has been in constant communication with his parents, and they were blown away on junior day weekend in February. A source also told Mike that he enjoyed his Texas visit more than Ohio State and that he prefers to play in a warmer environment. Wright wants to wait until January to make a public decision, but we like where the Longhorns sit early on.

— One out-of-state wide receiver the Longhorns are still pushing for is Notre Dame Prep (AZ) product Jake Smith. The Longhorns have already hosted him for a visit this offseason and are working to get him back on campus. While USC appears to be the frontrunner in his recruitment, I am told that there is still legitimate interest in Texas. The Longhorns love him as a true slot receiver.

— Four-star defensive lineman DeMarvin Leal was named to the Subway Super Team today, and the tweet from their official account seemed to indicate that he committed to the Longhorns. However, I’m told that Leal has not given UT a verbal pledge. As I reported a few days ago, he still wants to make a few other visits. With all of this said, I’m very confident on where Texas stands in this one.

— Texas assistant coach Oscar Giles is keeping tabs on several in-state defensive linemen, including George Ranch product Peter Mpagi, who visited for junior day weekend in February. Mpagi informed me that he would be back on campus for the spring game on April 21. He is one to keep an eye on.

My Early '19 Wish List:

QB: Roschon (w/ maybe Zeno)
RB: Cain or Sanders (w/ maybe Glass)
WR: Whittington, Wilson, Higgins, Wright (w/ maybe J. Smith or A. Smith)
TE: Cupp (w/ maybe Wiley)
OL: Green, Johnson, Shepherd, Bragg (w/ maybe EJNO or Wilkins)
DL: Sweat, NaNa, Leal, ( w/ maybe Johnson or Tutulai)
LB: Floyd, Gbenda, Davis (w/ maybe Henry)
DB: Catalon, Watson, Richardson, Cine (w/ maybe Steele or Banks)
ATH: Tongue (w/ maybe ??? late bloomer from LA)

That's 22 with the addition of a couple others, this is could a stellar class. (Also it's full of Kool-Aid, but Herman is a stud recruiter and paired with Carrington I wouldn't count us out for anybody)

Who would you add to this wish list that we have a legit shot at?

Reactions: Bwilk55
Where we stand with offensive recruits:

QB
All set with Roschon Johnson. He is very solid and a great fit for our offense.

RB
Noah Cain - I think we lead for the 5 star RB which is huge. We obviously will keep working hard on Cain until the end. He would be the biggest pickup at the position in a while.
Deondrick Glass - the 4 star RB from Katy would be a great compliment to Cain. There is definitely some mutual interest there.
Marcus Major - a 3 star RB out of Oklahoma is on the board and recently visited Texas. If we miss out on the other two, he becomes a much bigger priority.
Darwin Barlow and Chux Nwabuko are others to keep an eye on down the road.

WR
Jordan Whittington - 5 star (0.9838) TEXAS COMMIT. Huge pick-up to lead this WR and overall recruiting class.
Theo Wease - 4 star (0.9828). Texas seems to be out of this race.
Arjei Henderson - 4 star (0.9718) There has been some mutual interest here but I don't feel like Texas is at the top.
Garrett Wilson - 4 star (0.9639). Wilson is from Austin and has visited numerous times. He is originally from Columbus and has narrowed things down to Texas and Ohio St. The major hold up for him has been the lack of an explosive passing offense from Texas. He plans to make OVs to Ohio St and Texas this April and then commit. We need to show him what our passing attack can do during the spring game for us to improve our chances.
Jake Smith - 4 star (0.9450). The 4 star from Az is a name to know
Demariyon Houston - 4 star (0.9341) Also another name to know out of Okla
Dylan Wright - 4 star (0.9270). Lots of interest here and seems to be leaning our way. He is a monster at the WR position and would be a great pick up.
Tamauzia Brown - 4 star (0.9204). No offer yet, but could see one down the road.
Elijah Higgins - 4 star (0.9046). Another Austinite who is high on the horns. Seems likely that he will end up in Burnt Orange at this point.
Jaylen Ellis - 3 star (0.8628). Ellis is commited to Baylor but is definitely a player we could circle back to if we miss on some other offered players.

TE
Hudson Henry - 4 star (0.9777). The top TE target has been on campus for a visit but still seems like a long shot to pull him out of Arkansas.
Brayden Liebrock - 3 star (0.8889) Another good TE who has been on campus but a commitment seems unlikely for the Arizonian.
Baylor Cupp - 3 star (0.8739) Probably our best and most likely commit at the position. He has been on campus multiple times
Jalen Wydermyer - 3 star (0.8600) Hasn't been offered but has visited multiple time. Someone to keep an eye on.
Jared Wiley - 3 star (0.8316) Another player that I feel pretty good about at this point. Texas would probably take Both Cupp and Wiley if able.
David Ugwoegbu, Nolan Matthews - names to know

OT
Kenyon Green
- 5 star (0.9921) Previously felt to be a strong TAMU lean, Texas has put itself right in the thick of this one.
Tyler Johnson - 4 star (0.9797) Very much felt to be a Texas lean at this point. Unless something major changes, I would expect a commitment to the good guys here.
Darius Thomas - 4 star (0.9359) He has visited and has been offered but all signs point to him staying in Arkansas.
Javonne Shepard - 4 star (0.9054) Similar to Green, early indicators were pointing elsewhere but Texas has done a great job of getting in the thick of things here. Going to be a battle but I think we have at least a 50% chance.
Stacey Wilkins - 4 star (0.8950) Also an Arkansas native but I feel more confident here. Our secret weapon here is Jake Langi, a fellow Polynesian, who has done a great job connecting with players of Poly/Tongan heritage.
Jack Buford, Brannon Brown - Names to know

C/G
Kardell Thomas - 5 star (0.9864) - A Baton Rouge kid who is committed to LSU is about all you need to know. He likes Texas and Austin but it is such a tough pull.
EJ Ndoma Ogar - 4 star (0.9343) - Definitely some mutual interest but I wouldn't be shocked to see him land elsewhere (OU perhaps). He is a pretty quiet kid when it comes to recruiting so hard to get a great feel.
Branson Bragg - 4 star (0.9036) - Texas has long been the favorite here. There is some competition from schools like Stanford and that also has to be respected. I still feel like he ends up in Austin.

Where we stand with Defensive Recruits:

DT
Ishmael Sopsher - 5 star (0.9988) The 5 star out of LA has plans to visit Texas. If that happens we at least have a shot. Even then, it would be a long shot.
Faatui Tuitele - 5 star (0.9862) - The 5 star out of HI made a visit back in March. Jake Langi again worked his magic. It will be hard to pull a kid out of HI away from the west coast (plus Alabama just offered).
DeMarvin Leal - 4 star (0.9586) - Lots of interest from the top DL target from Texas. He may even be a silent commit as of now. Subway (yes the sandwich people) may have spilled the beans in a recent tweet.
Carl Williams - 3 star (0.8739) Name to know.

DE
Nana Osafo-Mensah
- 4 star (0.9558) Lots of Texas love from Nana. Notre Dame was the favorite but after his first true visit to Texas, things seem about even. He will visit both schools again this month of OV and then plans to make a decision.
Marcus Stripling - 4 star (0.9527) - He has visited several times but I'm not really feeling that he has much true interest. He seems destined for TAMU.
Gilbert Ibeneme - 4 star (0.9075) - Keep on the radar
Braedon Mowry - 4 star (0.8985) - He has visited and put Texas in his top 7 but I'm thinking TAMU on this one.
Marcus Hicks - 4 star (0.8937) - Certainly a possibility as Texas has had success in the fly-over states recently. Getting him back to Austin from Kansas would make a big difference.
Breylon Garcia - 3 star (0.8778) - Name to know
Rian Davis - 3 star (0.8728) - An out of state kid to keep an eye one
T'Vondre Sweat - 3 star (0.8567) - Commited to Texas early this year. Seems to be a solid commit.
Peter Mpagi - 3 star (0.8416) Name to know

LB
Owen Pappoe
- 5 star (0.9961) - Top OLB in the nation, from Ga. Yet he plans to visit Texas. It would be shocking to see him not end up at UGA however.
De'Gabriel Floyd - 4 star (0.9776) The number 3 OLB recruit in the nation recently committed to Texas. Despite being from Cali, this doesn't feel like the typical shaky OOS commit. I think Floyd is here to stay and is a future star at Rover.
Marcel Brooks - 4 star (0.9526) - Top in state LB, but has some off the field baggage. Doesn't seem to fit the mold of who Herman is trying to bring in.
Lakia Henry - 4 star JUCO (0.9200) - Gary Johnson part two?
David Gbenda - 4 star (0.8967) - I like our chances here.

CB
Derek Stingley -
5 star (0.9876) - 5 stars from LA are always tough to pull from LSU. A perfect storm of a bad LSU season coupled with a good Texas season (with continued DB success) and we could have a legit shot. We were in the top 6.
Chris Steele - 5 star (0.9838) - Another out of state talent (Cali) that brings major competition from regional powerhouses. There has been some serious interest from Steele in Texas however, so there's at least a chance.
Erick Young - 4 star (0.9391) - I'm not sure what to think about the top instate CB. Would obviously be a great get. He has shown some major interest in the past but things seem back and forth.
Bobby Wolfe - 4 star (0.9122) - Texas not listed as a top school
Marcus Banks - 4 star (0.8914) - Lots of Texas momentum in this one. Lilely the favorite at this point.

S
Brian Williams - 5 star (0.9885) - Unfortunately we weren't able to land the 5 star in state safety this time around. Our safety class from last season likely played a part in this. Williams seems solid to TAMU.
Lewis Cine - 4 star (0.9786) - Recently moved from Maryland and Penn State is the current favorite but Texas is doing it's best to change that. We have been on Cine the hardest since the move. He states that close relationships with coaches is the main reason he likes Penn State. Texas is doing everything it can to build those relationships and we now have distance on our side.
Demani Richardson - 4 star (0.9448) - A TAMU commit, but this one feels a quite bit more shaky compared to the Williams commit. Texas will keep working here.
Jalen Catalon - 4 star (0.9427) - Has visited multiple times but I still feel he ends up elsewhere (TCU?)
Kenyatta Watson II - 4 star (0.9199) - His mind is telling him Notre Dame, but his heart says Texas. His parents seem to prefer him at Texas. I'm thinking the heart and parents win out and he ends up in burnt orange.
Jamal Morris - 4 star (0.9193) - Texas in top 3 with OU and LSU. I think OU has the overall edge at this point.
Anfernee Orji - 4 star (0.8987) Name to know

Athletes
Bru McCoy (WR/OLB) - 5 star (0.9939) - Stud athlete from Cali, has some interest and may visit. If he does, there's always an outside chance.
Jeffery Carter (WR/CB) - 4 star (0.9221) - Definitely likes Texas, I don't think we are the favorite right now though.
Jaren Mangham (RB) - 4 star (0.9090) - He has visited but it's a long shot. May turn up the heat if we miss on other targets.

My way too early prediction for this class:

QB:
Roschon Johnson
RB:
Noah Cain
Deondrick Glass
WR:
Jordan Whittington
Garret Wilson
Dylan Wright
Elijah Higgans
TE:
Baylor Cupp
OT:
50% chance at Kenyon Green
Tyler Johnson
Javonne Shepherd
Center:
Branson Bragg

DT:
DeMarvin Leal
DE:
Nana Osafo-Mensah
T'vondre Sweat
LB:
DeGabriel Floyd
Lakia Henry (JUCO)
David Gbenda
DB:
Lewis Cine
Marcus Banks
Kenyatta Watson II

That's only 20 for now. Some more names will be added for sure but these are the guys I feel pretty good about at this point.

My way too early prediction for this class:

QB:
Roschon Johnson
RB:
Noah Cain
Deondrick Glass
WR:
Jordan Whittington
Garret Wilson
Dylan Wright
Elijah Higgans
TE:
Baylor Cupp
OT:
50% chance at Kenyon Green
Tyler Johnson
Javonne Shepherd
Center:
Branson Bragg

DT:
DeMarvin Leal
DE:
Nana Osafo-Mensah
T'vondre Sweat
LB:
DeGabriel Floyd
Lakia Henry (JUCO)
David Gbenda
DB:
Lewis Cine
Marcus Banks
Kenyatta Watson II

That's only 20 for now. Some more names will be added for sure but these are the guys I feel pretty good about at this point.
Do you not feel good about Catalon?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT