ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Thread

Texas gets its chance at a momentum swing this weekend with our game. All 5 big O Line uglies we want will be in town (Green, Shepherd, Johnson, Bragg, Ndoma-Ogar). Trench warfare.

Texas gets its chance at a momentum swing this weekend with our game. All 5 big O Line uglies we want will be in town (Green, Shepherd, Johnson, Bragg, Ndoma-Ogar). Trench warfare.
I hadn't read that Green and Johnson would be there yet... if so that's awesome!!! Hand is going to be a monster.

Reactions: Scholz
Hand is the man.

Here's a list for the weekend btw:

QB Roschon Johnson
RB Noah Cain
RB Zach Evans (2020)
OL EJ Ndoma-Ogar
OL Branson Bragg
OL Javonne Shepherd
OL Kenyon Green
OL Tyler Johnson

OL Chad Lindberg (2020)
OL Akinola Ogunbiyi (2020)
WR Garrett Wilson (Official)
WR Jake Smith
WR Jordan Whittington
WR Demond Demas (2020) (Maybe)
WR Collin Sullivan (2020)
WR Troy Omiere (2020)
TE Jared Wiley
DL T'Vondre Sweat (Maybe)
DL Peter Mpagi
DL Alec Bryant
OLB De'Gabriel Floyd
ILB David Gbenda (Maybe)
CB Marcus Banks
CB Dwight McGlothern (2020) (Maybe)
S Lewis Cine (Maybe)
S Darius Snow (Maybe) (2020)
ATH Khalan Griffin (2020

Last edited:
Per EJ @ 247

— While the weekend was showered with some not so positive news, there was an interesting development in regards to five-star IMG Academy (Fla.) running back Trey Sanders. I have heard from a source close to Sanders as well as a source close to the Texas program, and they both feel like the Longhorns have made a quiet surge in his recruitment. I’m told Sanders has a close friend in the Austin-area and will likely make a visit at some point this summer. While Florida still seems like his leader, this is certainly a situation to watch.

— Elite IMG Academy (Fla.) running back Noah Cain reconfirmed with our Mike Roach that he would be on campus for an unofficial visit this weekend for the spring game. We are told that Texas has a chance to gain the overall edge in his recruitment with a great trip. With that said, Cain doesn’t plan on making any type of decision until December, so the season will play a big role in his recruitment. Right now, he remains high on both UT and LSU — Oklahoma and Ohio State are also strongly in the mix.

— Notre Dame hosted four-star defensive end/outside linebacker NaNa Osafo-Mensah for an official visit over the weekend. So where do things stand? I don’t really buy that the Irish took the lead in this recruitment, but I do feel like this race has tightened up. The good news for Texas is that it will get the final official visit when he makes it to campus on May 4. I still feel good about my Texas Crystal Ball at this time.

— One 2020 recruit to keep an eye on is four-star Lufkin safety Jerrin Thompson. I am told that Texas is very interested in him and could extend an early offer this spring. Thompson currently has scholarships from Arkansas, SMU and South Florida and is certainly a name to know moving forward.

Hand is the man.

Here's a list for the weekend btw:

QB Roschon Johnson
RB Noah Cain
RB Zach Evans (2020)
OL EJ Ndoma-Ogar
OL Branson Bragg
OL Javonne Shepherd
OL Kenyon Green
OL Tyler Johnson

OL Chad Lindberg (2020)
OL Akinola Ogunbiyi (2020)
WR Garrett Wilson (Official)
WR Jake Smith

WR Jordan Whittington
WR Demond Demas (2020) (Maybe)
WR Collin Sullivan (2020)
WR Troy Omiere (2020)
TE Jared Wiley
DL T'Vondre Sweat (Maybe)
DL Peter Mpagi
DL Alec Bryant
OLB De'Gabriel Floyd
ILB David Gbenda (Maybe)
CB Marcus Banks

CB Dwight McGlothern (2020) (Maybe)
S Lewis Cine (Maybe)
S Darius Snow (Maybe) (2020)
ATH Khalan Griffin (2020

Add in a grad transfer RB for an OV

Looks like a great list

Such keen insight. Definitely hasn’t been discussed a thousand times already.

Save it for another thread. Non-Texas fans operate with an extremely short leash in this particular one.

I don't know if you remember a conversation we had a few months ago about OK's recruiting. I said they don't recruit in TX like they used to. You said that next year that would change and I have to say you were right. They had a few commits over the weekend and and most of them were from TX. in fact 5 of their 8 commits are from TX. I know that Lincoln Riley is a west TX boy. It looks like it will be like old times and TX and OK having an intense battle over TX kids

Such keen insight. Definitely hasn’t been discussed a thousand times already.

Save it for another thread. Non-Texas fans operate with an extremely short leash in this particular one.
Just facts nothing to do with keen insight. This decade since 2010.Texas 48-48...Ohio State 89-18.

Last edited:
Decades start with the year ending in 1. There wasn't a year 0.

What was the "not so positive news" they reference from this weekend?

Per EJ @ 247

— While the weekend was showered with some not so positive news, there was an interesting development in regards to five-star IMG Academy (Fla.) running back Trey Sanders. I have heard from a source close to Sanders as well as a source close to the Texas program, and they both feel like the Longhorns have made a quiet surge in his recruitment. I’m told Sanders has a close friend in the Austin-area and will likely make a visit at some point this summer. While Florida still seems like his leader, this is certainly a situation to watch.

— Elite IMG Academy (Fla.) running back Noah Cain reconfirmed with our Mike Roach that he would be on campus for an unofficial visit this weekend for the spring game. We are told that Texas has a chance to gain the overall edge in his recruitment with a great trip. With that said, Cain doesn’t plan on making any type of decision until December, so the season will play a big role in his recruitment. Right now, he remains high on both UT and LSU — Oklahoma and Ohio State are also strongly in the mix.

— Notre Dame hosted four-star defensive end/outside linebacker NaNa Osafo-Mensah for an official visit over the weekend. So where do things stand? I don’t really buy that the Irish took the lead in this recruitment, but I do feel like this race has tightened up. The good news for Texas is that it will get the final official visit when he makes it to campus on May 4. I still feel good about my Texas Crystal Ball at this time.

— One 2020 recruit to keep an eye on is four-star Lufkin safety Jerrin Thompson. I am told that Texas is very interested in him and could extend an early offer this spring. Thompson currently has scholarships from Arkansas, SMU and South Florida and is certainly a name to know moving forward.

I would think it was EJ's CB flips on D. Leal, E. Young, & B. Wolfe.
Probably Leal as elite DTs in Texas are slim pickings this year. With your DB haul last year, I don't think you guys are too concerned with Young or Wolfe.
Wease and Henderson to OU was big, and it looks like the big time WR from Austin is leaning Ohio State. All really good players, but if Texas produces elite anything in quantity it is WR.

Last edited:
I would think it was EJ's CB flips on D. Leal, E. Young, & B. Wolfe.
Probably Leal as elite DTs in Texas are slim pickings this year. With your DB haul last year, I don't think you guys are too concerned with Young or Wolfe.
Wease and Henderson to OU was big, and it looks like the big time WR from Austin is leaning Ohio State. All really good players, but if Texas produces elite anything in quantity it is WR.
The only news is Leal

Leal went to the aggy spring game and Jimbo supposedly put a hard sell on him and he is expected to commit to aggy today. It was a shocker because Texas was thought to have a big lead in his recruitment. Rumor is that Jimbo is promising him that he will start as a freshman at aggy, and Herman won't make that promise. If he commits to aggy and still continues to take visits, Jimbo will no longer honor his promise that he will start as a freshman. Basically Jimbo is waving a starting position over this kids head and making him decide quickly or he'll lose it, and also blocking him from taking any more visits. Of course I have no first hand knowledge and am just repeating what I have read on another site, so who really knows.

Leal (DT from Judson, arguably the best player in the state) is likely heading to aggy after a trip there last weekend.... No reason to panic yet, but it just adds more drama to the roller coaster of recruiting

Per EJ @ 247-
— Kenyatta Watson II has a decision date. The four-star defensive back out of Grayson (GA) will make his commitment on May 1, just days following his official visit to Texas. So where do the Longhorns stand? While Watson has maintained that this is a neck and neck race between UT and Notre Dame, we have reason to believe the Horns have the edge in this race. As long as everything goes according to plan on his official visit on April 27, Tom Herman and co. should be able to win him over. Still, Watson is still in constant contact with Notre Dame, and the Irish will make their push.

— May 1 is also the commitment date for five-star Grayson (GA) outside linebacker Owen Pappoe. Texas will get the last crack as it will host him for an official visit on April 27. However, Texas will need to hit a grand slam as well as land the aforementioned Watson in order to have any shot with Pappoe. Right now, we are continuing to hear that he wants to stay closer to home and will likely end up at Auburn or Georgia. This one is a long shot.

— Grayson (GA) wide receiver Kenyon Jackson will not be making his decision on May 1 like his teammates. Instead, the four-star prospect will be taking his time with the process. Jackson might be a name that gets lost when talking about wide receiver recruiting, but the Longhorns are right in the thick of things and will host him for an official visit on April 27. Texas will be the first school to host Jackson for an OV, and it is obviously imperative for the Longhorns to make a strong impression.

— As we first reported, Texas will host rising Arizona cornerback Javin Wright for an unofficial visit on Thursday. Don’t sleep on this recruit. UCLA extended an offer to Wright, and I’m told by a source that the Longhorns have legitimate interest and expect his stock to soar through the roof during the spring evaluation period. Texas actually stopped by to see Wright in December, and he is firmly on the radar.

Per IT:

AUSTIN -- Texas is set to host a number of top targets for its annual Orange-White scrimmage. We have the current list and names are being added daily. Here's the latest.

* denotes maybe

Grad transfer candidates
RB Tre Watson, Cal

QB Roschon Johnson, Port Neches-Groves (Port Neches, TX) - TEXAS
RB Noah Cain, IMG Academy (Bradenton, FL)
WR Garrett Wilson, Lake Travis (Austin, TX)
TE Jared Wiley, Temple (Temple, TX)
OL Branson Bragg, Crandall (Crandall, TX)
OL Tyler Johnson, Oak Ridge (Conroe, TX)
OL EJ Ndoma-Ogar, Allen (Allen, TX)
OL Javonne Shepherd, North Forest (Houston, TX)
OL Kenyon Green, Atascocita (Humble, TX)
DE Peter Mpagi, George Ranch (Richmond, TX)
DE Zach Williams, Joe T. Robinson (Little Rock, AR)
LB De’Gabriel Floyd, Westlake (Westlake Village, CA) - TEXAS
*LB David Gbenda, Cinco Ranch (Katy, TX)
LB Makiya Tongue, University Lab (Baton Rouge, LA)
LB Zach Zimos, Fort Bend Travis (Richmond, TX)
CB Marcus Banks, Spring Dekaney (Houston, TX)
*S Lewis Cine, Trinity Christian (Cedar Hill, TX)
ATH Jake Smith, Notre Dame Prep (Scottsdale, AZ)
ATH Jordan Whittington, Cuero (Cuero, TX) - TEXAS
ATH Rashad Wisdom, Judson (Converse, TX)

RB Zacahary Evans, Galena Park North Shore (Houston, TX)
*WR Demond Demas, North Forest (Houston, TX)
WR Troy Omeire, Fort Bend Austin (Sugar Land, TX)
WR Collin Sullivan, Round Rock High (Round Rock, TX)
OL Chad Lindberg, Clear Creek (League City, TX)
DE Alec Bryant, Shadow Creek (Pearland, TX)
*CB Dwight McGlothern, New Caney (New Caney, TX)
S Darius Snow, Hebron (Carrollton, TX)
ATH Khalan Griffin, John Tyler (Tyler, TX)

Yes this is valid but I care more about historical accuracy. And being a smartass.
those dates are wrong anyway...I think the OP meant 2010 (or 2011) not 2000. Texas has played more than 96 games since 2000.

Reactions: Scholz
Leal went to the aggy spring game and Jimbo supposedly put a hard sell on him and he is expected to commit to aggy today. It was a shocker because Texas was thought to have a big lead in his recruitment. Rumor is that Jimbo is promising him that he will start as a freshman at aggy, and Herman won't make that promise. If he commits to aggy and still continues to take visits, Jimbo will no longer honor his promise that he will start as a freshman. Basically Jimbo is waving a starting position over this kids head and making him decide quickly or he'll lose it, and also blocking him from taking any more visits. Of course I have no first hand knowledge and am just repeating what I have read on another site, so who really knows.
Isn't this what many accused Mack Brown doing at the end of his tenure and called him lazy? i.e. If you don't accept this offer right now we are moving on?

That was his recruiting strategy his entire tenure. He told recruits that if they committed then he would stop recruiting others at the same position. If they went on visits he would recruit other players and they could possibly lose out. He would have most his recruiting class locked up in February. It worked well early and then after the MNC they got really bad with their evaluation and they completely missed on QBs.

That was his recruiting strategy his entire tenure. He told recruits that if they committed then he would stop recruiting others at the same position. If they went on visits he would recruit other players and they could possibly lose out. He would have most his recruiting class locked up in February. It worked well early and then after the MNC they got really bad with their evaluation and they completely missed on QBs.
Yeah, but he wasn't guaranteeing impressionable/gullible high school juniors they would be day 1 starters.

Isn't this what many accused Mack Brown doing at the end of his tenure and called him lazy? i.e. If you don't accept this offer right now we are moving on?

Jimbo’s not really doing anything other first year coaches didn’t do. I think that’s kind of the common sales pitch. “Come in and be my guys and turn the program around”. Strong did it with Malik, Herman did it with last years class. First year coaches have a lot to sell, that’s just how it is.

Yeah, but he wasn't guaranteeing impressionable/gullible high school juniors they would be day 1 starters.

It’s one thing to tell a player that they think he can start as a freshman, it’s another thing to tell them if they visit other schools the deal is off the table. I don’t think thats fair to the kids, but I guess that’s recruiting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT