ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Thread

Per EJ @ 247
— We were told to keep it quiet, but it’s now out in the open. Yes, Texas safeties coach Craig Naivar stopped by Waxahachie and checked in on Texas A&M commit Demani Richardson. The Longhorns are still working on Richardson and pushing to get him on campus at some point this offseason. Remember, Richardson was high on UT before giving the Aggies a verbal pledge. Naivar also stopped by Trinity Christian Cedar Hill to see Lewis Cine as we reported he would last night.

— Texas offensive coordinator Tim Beck was out in Arizona today and saw five-star Saguaro (AZ) cornerback Kelee Ringo. As we reported, Beck and the Longhorns extended an offer to Ringo, who is ranked as the nation’s top corner in 2020. Beck actually used to be the head coach at Saguaro, so there is a connection there. Expect the Longhorns to continue to recruit Arizona hard.

— Texas running backs coach Stan Drayton made his way out to West Texas to see Amarillo Tascosa running back King Doerue. UT has yet to offer Doerue, but he is definitely a prospect on the radar. Doerue is an explosive back and one of the better in-state ball carriers in a down year at the position. The three-star prospect holds offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Texas A&M, Texas Tech and others.

— Texas offensive line coach Herb Hand was in the Houston-area and saw rising 2020 Fort Bend Kempner offensive lineman Akinola Ogunbiyi. He holds an early offer from Texas A&M and is certainly a prospect to know. Ogunbiyi attended the Texas spring game over the weekend.

On a sad note... Garret Wilson to Ohio State (my #1 player in TX)

also he said this:
They were close,” Wilson said of Texas. “I’m not going to lie, the official visit made me think about them a little more. In the end, I’ve watched a lot of people go to Texas with a ton of ability and maybe not achieve what I thought they could. I didn’t want to be one of those guys.”

He's not lying. Hoping Herman can turn this thing around quickly! Cant keep losing studs to OOS programs

Some good news coming this week as I expect Watson will commit to the good guys.

Per TFB:
"Same old rule of we can’t spoil anything, but we can give you a hint that this guy is coming from out West and brings a new dynamic to an important position. That’s all your getting!"

My guess is it's Tre Watson, grad transfer Rb from Cal

I went to Lake Travis myself, and I really was hoping he would pick Texas. But I don't think his response is classless at all. I think it's spot-on, and I wish there was more honesty around the program about stuff like this.

I want Texas to be great as much as anyone else, but let's call a spade a spade. There are other Big XII schools with way less talent who are outputting higher production. Let's address that. Let's hear the coaches address that. Let's talk about why supremely talented players aren't doing what they should be on the field. Why are lesser-rated RBs and WRs at Kansas State and Oklahoma State posting better season numbers than Texas'. All we seem to get is vague excuses week-by-week, but I can't blame the kid for looking at great recruits who have gone to Texas recently and have sputtered.

Sort of a classless response by Wilson, at least go out and give both schools praise.

Facts hurt, but the reality is he is right, your own coach said when he came that the recruits haven’t seen a Texas team win. Start winning and actually put more than 2 people in a draft and things will change.

I went to Lake Travis myself, and I really was hoping he would pick Texas. But I don't think his response is classless at all. I think it's spot-on, and I wish there was more honesty around the program about stuff like this.

I want Texas to be great as much as anyone else, but let's call a spade a spade. There are other Big XII schools with way less talent who are outputting higher production. Let's address that. Let's hear the coaches address that. Let's talk about why supremely talented players aren't doing what they should be on the field. Why are lesser-rated RBs and WRs at Kansas State and Oklahoma State posting better season numbers than Texas'. All we seem to get is vague excuses week-by-week, but I can't blame the kid for looking at great recruits who have gone to Texas recently and have sputtered.

Spot on post ! If a recruit had The Buckeyes vs Texas to compare right now no comparison.

Alvin Kamara 2017 ROY
Dak Prescott 2016 ROY
Todd Gurley 2015 ROY

Nope never heard of a Michael Thomas ROY

Adrian Peterson chose OU over Texas because he wanted to "play for national championships." That statement also made sense...at the time anyway. Always wondered how he felt having to then watch Texas win a national championship, while he won none at OU.

i think Wilson just made a similar mistake. Anywho, we plenty of WRs. Hope he likes ugly women and the shithole town of Columbus.

I am glad someone is at least being honest with what they chose. Whether he is right or wrong or made the wrong choice doesn't matter at this point, but I love some honesty about why he chose the school he did. Also I don't think he was being rude about it, just stating what he believes to be fact.

Reactions: OhioHorn25
Did I miss a commitment from Kenyatta Wilson? I feel like everything I see out on Twitter is UT this, Longhorn that for him.

Did I miss a commitment from Kenyatta Wilson? I feel like everything I see out on Twitter is UT this, Longhorn that for him.
Coming today, televised on a Atlanta station starting at 5:30. I think Watson announces at 6.

Not a '19 recruit but a grad transfer we showed alot of interest in early, then we back off as the spring went on probably because of the good/great spring LJH and Duvernay had. I'm just glad this kid didn't go to USC.

Never hurts to have as many commits as possible in this game. Roshon also won MVP at the Opening Regionals in DFW on Sunday and he will be going to the Elite 11/Opening Finals this summer at the Star.

Adrian Peterson chose OU over Texas because he wanted to "play for national championships." That statement also made sense...at the time anyway. Always wondered how he felt having to then watch Texas win a national championship, while he won none at OU.

i think Wilson just made a similar mistake. Anywho, we plenty of WRs. Hope he likes ugly women and the shithole town of Columbus.

I always felt like AP really screwed up the timing with his decision. Like, how did he not see that ou would be replacing their entire ‘04 OL, and that Texas’ was young and full of studs that would be around through 06? And he had to know he’d be the guy when Ced graduated (or even before).

I don’t think kids think very far past the immediate future and playing time. “Wanting to win MNCs” is a bunch of BS as far as I’m concerned, because most of these kids have no idea how many chips have to fall perfectly for that to happen.

Big time TE target about of AZ will be in town this weekend. The good guys already got a CB from a OSU 247 mod. He's probably at the top of our TE board with Cupp committed to the aggys.

Also I find it kind of weird that we are really pushing hard for OOS kids this cycle. We are expanding our brand but also the OOS kids seem to be the ones listening the most this cycle. Sprinkle in some top talent from TX and we could have a very good class again if we can land a couple big OOS fish. We most likely end with a Top 10. But I feel it will in the the 5-8 range.

If I remember right, in 2004 we could have lined up Cedric Benson, Vince Young, and Adrian Peterson in the same backfield had AD picked the good guys.

Reactions: HornDrummer
If I remember right, in 2004 we could have lined up Cedric Benson, Vince Young, and Adrian Peterson in the same backfield had AD picked the good guys.

Correct, Better still, imagine him on the 2005 NC team. Good god we would've monkeystomped USC. Hell, it's even likely, had he chose Texas, he ends up with two NCs. Yeah he really made a bad choice.

We have a lot of talent in yrs 3-4 on the team. Not a lot cracks for early playing time. A$M, ou, tosu have more opportunity for early playing time. If TH can pull off a top 10 class heavy on the lines, we're good.

I always felt like AP really screwed up the timing with his decision. Like, how did he not see that ou would be replacing their entire ‘04 OL, and that Texas’ was young and full of studs that would be around through 06? And he had to know he’d be the guy when Ced graduated (or even before).

I don’t think kids think very far past the immediate future and playing time. “Wanting to win MNCs” is a bunch of BS as far as I’m concerned, because most of these kids have no idea how many chips have to fall perfectly for that to happen.

I hear you, but I think there's some hindsight bias coloring this take.

At the end of 2003 -- after the 65-13 nuclear disaster and the Holiday Bowl debacle -- the prevailing feeling among Texas fans was that Mack & Co. were destined to underperform with whatever talent they brought in and that Stoops and OU were usually going to find a way to wring the most out of theirs.

What happened afterward certainly felt like poetic justice to Texas fans, but it was pretty far from clear at the time that we'd be getting the last laugh.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT