ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Thread

I hear you, but I think there's some hindsight bias coloring this take.

At the end of 2003 -- after the 65-13 nuclear disaster and the Holiday Bowl debacle -- the prevailing feeling among Texas fans was that Mack & Co. were destined to underperform with whatever talent they brought in and that Stoops and OU were usually going to find a way to wring the most out of theirs.

What happened afterward certainly felt like poetic justice to Texas fans, but it was pretty far from clear at the time that we'd be getting the last laugh.

Enter Vince Young and the rest is history. We need a QB!

Adrian Peterson chose OU over Texas because he wanted to "play for national championships." That statement also made sense...at the time anyway. Always wondered how he felt having to then watch Texas win a national championship, while he won none at OU.

i think Wilson just made a similar mistake. Anywho, we plenty of WRs. Hope he likes ugly women and the shithole town of Columbus.

You are a complete fool, Columbus isn’t a shit hole and plenty of nice looking girls. This kind of stuff will only make recruits keep looking elsewhere so keep it up. Buckeyes love to repost this showing the world what kind of people support Texas. Good job !

Superpup, this thread is about Texas recruiting. Its not about you and your biased Ohio State propaganda. Do not post in here anymore.

I will post anywhere I like, pay my membership just like you do. Not my fault you are butt hurt since a lot of big time recruits choose a better program. Start winning instead of going 500 or less would be a start

You are a complete fool, Columbus isn’t a shit hole and plenty of nice looking girls. This kind of stuff will only make recruits keep looking elsewhere so keep it up. Buckeyes love to repost this showing the world what kind of people support Texas. Good job !

I will post anywhere I like, pay my membership just like you do. Not my fault you are butt hurt since a lot of big time recruits choose a better program. Start winning instead of going 500 or less would be a start

Oh, look! The idiot wants to learn the hard way.

You will be missed. (Not by me, but I'm sure some window-licker will miss you.)

Can we please ban this moron? He’s prolly drunk cuz there’s nothing else to do in that crap hole place in the middle of the rust belt. Btw...I’ll bring it up since it is a recruiting board and nobody has talked about it...Kenyatta Watson is a huge addition to this class

Lol. Nothing like somebody from the most trashy fan base on earth trying to talk down on what another fan base is like.

This is why Texas fans favor Michigan, and feel sorry for them for having to put up with you scumbags. Still mad over Texas wrecking your "in the shoe, at night" party? Lol. Nice knowing ya, moron.

No you won't. I asked you to stay out of the recruiting thread and stop with the trashing talking and you didn't. You're done!

Very impressed with Bru McCoy highlight video. Hope we get him.
The fact that he is planning to attend the big recruiting weekend at USC at the end of the year concerns me.

BOOM!!!

This kid is wayyyy under ranked. Ran 4.5 40 and vert of 45 inches at 6'2... that's unreal.

Per EJ @ 247

— I had a Crystal Ball pick in for elite running back Noah Cain to Texas a while ago before changing it to foggy due to LSU's push. He is a Baton Rouge native, his father loves the LSU program, and he’s made multiple visits. But from I have been able to gather, LSU is likely to land John Emery and already holds a commitment from Tyrion Davis. Cain doesn’t want to be a part of three-back class and had a blast on his recent visit to UT. He also has a strong bond with Stan Drayton and is impressed with his resume. It felt like the right time to switch my CB back to the Longhorns.

— That wasn’t the only Crystal Ball pick I put in for Texas today. I also made an early prediction for four-star 2020 Duncanville athlete Ja’Quinden Jackson to land in Austin. He told me today that the Longhorns blew him away on his unofficial visit last weekend and is a huge fan of the coaching staff. Baylor and Oklahoma State are threats and offered super early, but I really like UT’s chances here. Keep in mind that new Texas assistant Ra’Shaad Samples is the son of Jackson’s high school coach, Reggie Sample, and is playing a big role in this recruitment.

— There was some confusion in regards to Stacey Wilkins visiting this weekend. He fully intended to do so and gave Mike those quotes on Sunday at The Opening Dallas. However, things changed over the last 48 hours. Wilkins spoke with the staff, and he is rescheduling his trip for the fall. Wilkins is still high on Texas and is looking forward to experiencing the game day atmosphere on the Forty Acres.

— Out-of-state cornerbacks Jaden Davis and Chester Kimbrough will not make it in this weekend. They are both looking to reschedule their visits. Right now, OU appears to be the frontrunner for Davis, while Florida is the favorite for Kimbrough.

BOOM!!!

This kid is wayyyy under ranked. Ran 4.5 40 and vert of 45 inches at 6'2... that's unreal.

In regards to his ranking, the 247 ranking is really dragging him down in the composite. They have have as the 45th best cornerback while ESPN and Rivals have him at 13 and 11. His 247 ranking will likely improve and his composite ranking will too.

3* OT with some big time offers
Big kid. 6 foot 6 and 310 pounds at the age of 19. He plays RT at Katy Taylor which seems about right for him. Not sure he has the agility for the blind side spot. Most of his highlights are run blocking where he pushes his smaller opponents around pretty easily. Not much pass pro in highlights (team had 36 pass attempts on the season) so that area is yet to be seen.

Per EJ at 247

— Texas defensive line coach Oscar Giles stopped by Manvel to see Oklahoma defensive line commit Kori Roberson. He is a prospect the Longhorns have been evaluating for a while now, and he actually made his way to Austin for junior day weekend in February. Don’t be surprised if Texas eventually offers. Robinson had high interest in UT prior to picking the Sooners.

— Texas safeties coach Craig Naivar hit the Houston-area and stopped by to see elite 2020 defensive back Dwight McGlothern, who is making an unofficial visit to Austin this weekend. McGlothern is high on Texas, LSU and Texas A&M early on. Naivar also saw four-star Lufkin defensive back Jerrin Thompson, who could be close to notching an offer. Expect Naivar to fly out to see California defensive back Chris Adimora soon. We are feeling better and better about Texas in that recruitment.

— Texas wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer also made his way to the Dallas-area to see rising Midlothian Heritage wide receiver Langston Anderson. With Garrett Wilson off the board, Anderson is a prospect the Longhorns are monitoring closely. The three-star prospect holds offers from Arizona State, Kansas State, Missouri, Nebraska, Ole Miss, Texas Tech and others.

— Texas inside wide receivers coach Corby Meekins stopped by Crosby, which is home to rising offensive lineman Chayse Todd. He is a prospect the Longhorns are keeping an eye on. Meekins also made stops at Humble Summer Creek and Spring as he continues to help Texas’ strong relationship with Houston high school coaches.

— Texas offensive line coach Herb Hand made his way to Denton Braswell to see big-time 2021 offensive lineman Erick Cade. He already holds several major offers and could be a guy the Longhorns extend a scholarship to in the future. Cade visited Texas for the spring game last month.

— There has been a lot of buzz with Texas and four-star Mayfair (Calif.) defensive back Chris Adimora. I checked in with various sources, and that buzz is legit. With USC not really making a push, Texas has taken advantage and is surging in his recruitment. I have been told that he loved his recent visit to Texas for the spring game and is forming a great relationship with Texas safeties coach Craig Naivar and commit De’Gabriel Floyd. This one is definitely a recruitment to keep an eye on. I’m really close to putting in my Crystal Ball.

— California running back grad transfer Tre Watson is set to make his decision. In fact, he could pull at any point in the next couple of days. Watson is down to LSU, Texas and Texas Tech. So where do the Longhorns stand? From everything we’ve heard, Watson is leaning towards Texas right now. He did enjoy his LSU visit and sees an opportunity with the departure of Derrius Guice. However, Texas has done a tremendous job recruiting Watson, blew him away on his OV and has sold him on coming in and potentially starting. Texas grad transfer commit Calvin Anderson has been heavily involved in this recruitment and is an X-factor for the Longhorns.

— Texas recently put an offer on the table for five-star 2020 (Calif.) outside linebacker Justin Flowe. Here is what he had to say about the scholarship: “I was very excited because Texas has always been a school I looked up to as a child. It’s an honor to get an opportunity to play there.”

— Texas extended an offer to three-star Katy Taylor offensive lineman Andrew Coker on Thursday. Coker has shredded about 40 pounds from his body and looked leaner and more athletic at the Under Armour All-America Camp. Texas offensive line coach Herb Hand recently saw him and was impressed with his progress. As far as his recruitment goes, Texas has some work to do in this one. I have heard that Texas A&M is the heavy favorite.

Per IT

OFFICIAL VISIT WEEKEND (5/4-5/6)

After garnering Grayson (GA) four-star cornerback Kenyatta Watson II’s verbal pledge on Tuesday, the month of May is off to a nice start. Texas looks to build off that with a host of prospects visiting this weekend, including some important targets at key positions.

NaNa Osafo-Mensah, LB/DE - FW Nolan Catholic: As Eric wrote this week, it’s a coin flip for NaNa between the Horns and Fighting Irish. Texas really needs to impress him and his family. We believe Texas needs to hit more than a double here. Todd Orlando also needs to stay on this recruitment throughout. The downward trend is real and other outlets are catching on.

Tyler Johnson, OT - Conroe Oak Ridge: The 6-foot-5, 308 pound offensive lineman from outside North Houston looks to be slowing things a bit. This isn’t bad. As we've been saying and as @wethorn posted, the staff wants to build genuine relationships and is fine playing the long-game. Johnson is still clearly a Texas lean with no real, clear-cut No. 2 team. He'll release a top list at some point later this month, but he doesn't even seem to know who will be on it. He'll also take some fall official visits. Using his official now isn't a concern because of his fondness of the school and proximity. Also, he's building some strong relationships with current players as well as Herb Hand. Just to give you an idea, he almost went to Austin last weekend just to go see the new Avengers movie with players last week but had a prior commitment.

Makiya Tongue, WR/DB - University Lab (LA): Texas has set a nice foundation with the athletic two-way target. WR, LB, DB...he’s a take. I think he’d maximize at linebacker, and I believe Texas sees it that way as well. If LSU offers, it’ll be tougher but the longer the wait, the better for Texas. Also, LSU doesn't seem all that interested in him at wide receiver. He's repping UT around school and is probably the lead horse with Utah, Auburn, and Georgia (not sure how hard they're pressing) trailing.

Derek Stingley Jr., Dunham School (Baton Rouge, LA): You could make an argument that Stingley Jr. is the best corner in the nation for 2019. You could also say LSU is the clear leader. But Herman and Company will let it play out. If Texas can just 'place' here that might pay-off in the long run depending on what LSU does this season.

Brayden Liebrock, TE - Chandler (AZ): Getting this guy back on campus so soon is a great sign. His offer list is a great sign too, projection wise. At 6-foot-5, 210, Liebrock is a later bloomer in the recruiting circuit. He’ll be a national prospect by the fall. Texas has some confidence here but is up against stiff competition. The good news is he doesn't seem too enamored with in-state options.

INJURY REPORT

Cuero’s four-star WR, Texas pledge Jordan Whittington had surgery yesterday to repair a groin injury. We're not sure if this is from working out or tweeting Brittany Renner. He’ll miss spring ball and be very limited this summer.

The plan is to be ready for two-a-days this fall. He remains the most vocal of the early UT commits. That won’t change.

Sort of a classless response by Wilson, at least go out and give both schools praise.

I'm not surprised at all. He grew up in Ohio as a OSU fan. tOSU fans hate us for beating them 2 out 3 in a 4 year span. Including ending the undefeated in night game at the Shoe thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: LonghornMM
I was reading the what if Adrian had came to Texas fantasy. I have a better one. What if Earl had gone to Oklahoma? He was down to OU and Texas the night before his chose. He could’ve won a National Championship and been in the backfield with Billy Sims. So what!

I think Earls mother liked and met Darrell Royal more so than Barry Switzer and gave him and other son the Green light to Texas,Good Choice,Mom.

I was reading the what if Adrian had came to Texas fantasy. I have a better one. What if Earl had gone to Oklahoma? He was down to OU and Texas the night before his chose. He could’ve won a National Championship and been in the backfield with Billy Sims. So what!

Earl didn't make a big deal about going to Texas to win National Championships.

Pretty big difference. It's called class.

No flip needed......just a tweet that he is opening his recruiting back up and has decommitted from AtM would be enough for me. The meltdown in aggyland would be huuuuggggeeee......and they would realize he wasnt "SEC" ready. Lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT