ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Thread

No. You can win it all with an 8th ranked class. Didn't all those highly ranked classes under Mack Brown teach you anything? Think about all the times we finished ahead of OK in recruiting. Who's got all the Big XII titles? We did fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: HornsRuleU
If your desire is to compete for conference titles then #8 does that. If your desire is to win Natty's then #8 is about 5 spots too low.

We really need a win in the Sugar. It's very important for national image.

Not necessarily top 5.

I agree it will help to win on the National stage with that said if we do win get ready for the “Georgia wasn’t really wanting to play” from the media and fans.

Jimbo and Riley ate Herman's lunch today. We are currently behind in the 2020 class as well. Herman needs to beat Georgia in the SB or he is a couple of early 2019 losses away from the hot seat. Cue Ryan Sublett.
And Riley is still eating...……Just signed Marcus Stripling, 4 Star DE...……..Not saying this will happen, but don't be surprised to see Fields and Haselwood end up in Norman too.....

We are #9. aggy #3 and ou #8. We lack high end talent at all the skill positions. We have no difference makers like Vince Young, Jamaal Charles, or even Ramonce Taylor. We lack the abiltiy to score on any play. We can throw jump balls but that's really not a dependable option with the current level of officiating. I could get excited about a Hodges or Shon Mitchel but alas we don't even have that level of talent.
I think your skill position guys this class are strong, the problem area seems to be DT and to a lesser extent OL. But this is a good class, if your analysts were not setting you guys up for disappointment - you'd likely be happy. Look at 2018 & 2019 classes combined. Ya'll are doing fine.

RB coach is supposed to be one of your ace recruiters, and I have to say that Stan Drayton's work has been pretty damned underwhelming so far.

Reactions: 2300 Nueces
And Riley is still eating...……Just signed Marcus Stripling, 4 Star DE...……..Not saying this will happen, but don't be surprised to see Fields and Haselwood end up in Norman too.....
Don't get too excited about Stripling, you backed into him. He didn't have the options you think he did.

Don't get too excited about Stripling, you backed into him. He didn't have the options you think he did.
Haha, uh huh. His only other option was probably North Texas, am I right? Chucklz

Last edited:
Cain says that “But I prayed, and it was a hard night just going back on Penn State or Texas. If he had rather b up in the snow and crap at State College or fun in the sun in Austin, not really a tossup if ya been to State College PA.

Funny how these guys thinks God helps make FB decisions...God don't pay Light Bills or Credit Card payments or Insurance or rent or car payments..too many people asking!

Hook'em

Anybody else reading that ag could potentially flip J. Shepherd....?
Jimbo and Riley ate Herman's lunch today. We are currently behind in the 2020 class as well. Herman needs to beat Georgia in the SB or he is a couple of early 2019 losses away from the hot seat. Cue Ryan Sublett.
Not really. Actually not at all. When is the last time we went to the big 12 championship? Herman gave us a winning season his first year here. Second year we beat OU and took us to the big 12 championship. Two top #10 classes. Not sure why you would even think about putting Herman on the hot seat for this. We're going to a new years 6 which we haven't seen in a while .... against a tough, rightfully so #5 Georgia and you're saying if Herman doesn't win he should be in the hot seat? i disagree

Tom Herman.. the man who beat Florida State with new aggy veteran coach Jimbo Fisher?

Tom Herman.. the man who beat Bob Stoops OU

both WITH HOUSTON... We stick with Herman (i am) OR if we're screaming for more and faster then we shut up and put up and finally flex our bank account and go after whoever we want.

In your defense though, we really have no excuse not to win big 12 next year. I really dont see many teams posing a threat, biggest one being LSU. After that 1. ou b/c both teams show up this game 2. TCU b/c Gary Patterson 3. ISU - their home turf and have upset a few teams there.

People are just upset about a poor finish. Guess what our season had a poor finish, we need to finish strong on the field and then you will see Texas finish strong in recruiting.

This class is in the books, outside of maybe getting a few linemen, I'm pretty sure Texas is done at every other position. I'm disappointed we didn't get a second RB and we still might, but no other position is a position of need. I'm hoping for a couple of grad transfers for the oline and maybe RB.

Best part about recruiting is we start fresh again with a new class, hope springs eternal.

Reactions: mm42
As good as Rondale Moore was for Purdue, I think Jake can match him. He won't get the touches and he won't be featured like Rondale Moore was in the Purdue offense, but this kid is good. He has some of the softest hands I've ever seen in a receiver. He is the guy I'm most excited to see next year.

Evidence we're behind TAMU and OU for 2020?

Tom Herman dishes on Texas signees from Early Signing Period

The Longhorns added 21 new members to the future of the Texas football during Day 1 of the Early Signing Period. Tom Herman and his staff have been working tirelessly on the recruiting trail with hopes of landing some of their key components for the 2019 signing class, and many of those guys made their pledge to Texas official Wednesday when they signed their National Letter of Intent to continue their football careers playing with the Longhorns.

"There's not a head coach in America that stands up on signing day and says, 'You know what, we're really disappointed.' But it's nice that I can tell you how excited we are and have it really resonate," Herman said Wednesday during his Early Signing Period press conference.

"We've signed 21 guys that are, without question, culture fits in our program with great support systems, great families, and guys that are tremendous players. We're not done yet. We still probably have about five or six scholarships that we'll probably sign. We're not just going to sign guys to sign guys. But if the right guys are available, then we'll certainly do that.

"I did want to do something a little bit different, kind of run down these guys, give you a couple anecdotes on each one, make sure you know a little bit about them."

The head coach broke down all of the guys the Longhorns' inked on Wednesday to paint a picture of what type of talent is headed to the University of Texas.

S CHRIS ADIMORA

(Photo: Gerard Martinez, 247Sports)

"Chris Adimora is obviously a very rangy safety, played both sides of the ball. Had a 300 yard receiving game. Kind of a funny story with him, he actually sent his paperwork in this morning from Mexico City, where he's practicing to play in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, I believe it's called the World Bowl."

RB DERRIAN BROWN

"Derrian Brown, great senior year. He's a guy that if you know anything about Gwinnett County, he was named Player of the Year. That's as good of football as there is outside the state of Texas. Great family.

"Another kind of interesting anecdote. My first time in 21 years of coaching, when he came on his official visit, committed to us, about five days later, me, Coach Washington and Coach Drayton had gift baskets that his family had sent because they were so appreciative of the opportunity to be at Texas."

CB MARQUES CALDWELL

"Marques Caldwell, a guy that committed in July, has been rock solid since. I think when you talk about Kenyatta, as well, you're going to see length at those corner positions, which is something that's extremely important. Can play a lot of different positions, too."

LB DE'GABRIEL FLOYD

(Photo: Brandon Huffman, 247Sports)

"De'Gabriel Floyd, what a remarkable confluence of events that have brought our lives together. He actually transferred into Westlake High School for his senior year, which happened to be a high school where one of my college teammates actually had just gotten the head coaching job, named Tim Kirksey. Then you take it a step further, and his support system, the Miller family, Tony and Jean, Tony retired from law enforcement about four or five years ago in L.A., helped raise De'Gabriel.

"They retired early, still had young kids, and they were looking for a place in the country to retire. They chose Austin, Texas. Credit to the Chamber of Commerce of Austin for getting that family here.

"Gabe, he's everything you want in a linebacker. He's readymade as a high school kid. He can run, hit. He was actually a punt returner for his team, as well. Remarkable, big athlete."

LB DAVID GBENDA

"David Gbenda, again, Todd Orlando and our recruiting staff did a good job identifying David early. He's a guy that, I mean, can really, really run. We feel like the best football is still left ahead of him. He plays for a great program in Cinco Ranch, Coach Clayton. He played runningback early in his career. A guy that can really run."

LB CALEB JOHNSON

(Photo: 247Sports)

"Caleb Johnson, again, when you look at this class of linebackers, and linebackers was obviously a position of need for us, they can all really run. Caleb is very similar to Gary Johnson, a guy that is going to come in and compete in January for early playing time."

QB ROSCHON JOHNSON

(Photo: Blair Angulo, 247Sports)

"Roschon Johnson will be here in January, as well. We have nine early enrollees, which is exciting in and of itself. Roschon had never made a B in high school until this semester. He's a tremendous leader. I know his head coach, Brandon Faircloth, very well. We go way back, I mean way back. He told me a story of a game. I believe I'm getting the story right. They won the game, as they did throughout most of Roschon's career, but I think he had missed two out routes or something like that.

"Coach Faircloth comes in Saturday morning very early to grade the film, I believe it was like 7 in the morning. He looks out on the field, and there was Roschon out there by himself throwing that exact same out route into a net. I think he did it a hundred times. Just kind of speaks to the perfectionist, the competitor that he is.

"We couldn't ask for a better quarterback room. When he gets here in January, to have those five guys that we'll have on scholarship, I mean, it's a blessing. They're going to make each other better, I know that."

OT TYLER JOHNSON

"Tyler Johnson, again, great culture fit, great family. A super nice kid off the field, but tremendous amount of nastiness when you turn the film on. I think he's a lot bigger than maybe some of the other offensive linemen that we've signed in the past in terms of coming out of high school. He'll be here in January, so we're hoping that he's got an opportunity to play early. He's very versatile, too. Could probably play all three positions: tackle, guard or center."

WR KENNEDY LEWIS

"Kennedy Lewis, really admire Kennedy's great family. His willingness to compete. You know, a lot of guys in the summer after their junior year, especially with the new early signing period, official visits, all that, a lot of guys choose not to compete in camps in the summertime. Kennedy chose to come and shows us what he could do in camp. I clocked him personally at a 4.4. He's run a 10.8 hundred meters at 6-foot-3."

DE JACOBY JONES

"Jacoby Jones, really credit to Coach Giles for identifying him very early in the recruiting process. Got him to visit in the summer unofficially, which is usually pretty difficult for junior college kids. Oscar did a great job of staying on him even when he committed to another school, staying on him and making sure Jacoby signed with us.

"As you guys know, we lose all three of our starting D-linemen to graduation, so we're going to need some immediate help there. We're looking to Jacoby to do that."

TE BRAYDEN LIEBROCK

"Brayden Liebrock, another phenomenal family. Back-to-back state champions, so he's a winner. We love recruiting state champions or kids from winning programs. Got a lot of length. Great ball skills. You come across recruits that love the show of recruiting. This guy is the complete opposite. He was one of the most highly recruited, highly decorated tight ends in the country, and wanted no part of recruiting. He wanted to go very meticulous, take some visits, decide what was best for him, decide and it was over. We're excited about his development."

DE PETER MPAGI

"Peter Mpagi, burnt orange runs through his blood. His sister and father both attended the University of Texas. Again, another guy that we saw him on his junior film, weren't quite sure if we were ready to offer him. Come compete in our camps. He did. I think he came to three different camps, which is unheard of, because he wanted an offer from the University of Texas. He earned it. Again, he turned that into a great senior year."

S TYLER OWENS

"Tyler Owens, 6-foot-2, 205 pounds. Ran a 10.34 100 meter dash, broad jumped 11'2". I think he ran a 4.37. His senior year, really caught up to those measurables. You could tell the light switch went on. Had a phenomenal senior year. He's an athletic freak. We're excited to see him develop. Coach Naivar and Coach Beck found him early. Talked to his high school coaches about his potential. We got him to camp and just absolutely fell in love with him."

WR JAKE SMITH

"Jake Smith, the numbers speak for themselves. He's a Gatorade National Offensive Player of the Year. He can do everything: run it, catch it, return it, play DB, I'm sure he could drive the bus to the away games if you needed him to. Multi-sport athlete. Excels at lacrosse, as well. Just excited about his versatility."

Evidence we're behind TAMU and OU for 2020?

I think the evidence is that they both have more Texas commitments than UT does. I'm not worried, Texas is beginning to turn the corner, I think Texas will make the playoffs next year. If they do that, there is nothing the ags can do about it, they are a 4 or 5 loss team next year. blOwU has to replace their QB again, eventually they have to run out of Heisman winners.

Reactions: LonghornMM
Man, OU smoked your ass and it ain't even over yet we have another 5 star signed but he won't announce until all star game and we are in on a couple more 4 star we are looking at a top 5 finish. The dynasty continues.. Texas sucks!

Man, OU smoked your ass and it ain't even over yet we have another 5 star signed but he won't announce until all star game and we are in on a couple more 4 star we are looking at a top 5 finish. The dynasty continues.. Texas sucks!

Welp dipshit....I guess it's time for you to create another username...

Nice work ace

Jordan Whittington senior highlights. Pay close attention to the catch on the interception at 1:20. That's how you catch a goddamn football right there. Lol. Now somebody post Jake Smith highlights. We got two good ones with these kids.

EDIT: sorry just noticed this is not only senior year. There's some senior stuff, but I saw clips of him making Jordan and Joshua Moore look foolish, so that's definitely last year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT