ADVERTISEMENT

2020 recruiting

I hope he picks us but really? Hes postponing his announcement because his video isnt ready yet?

Makes sense, these guys have a huge audience. If I were in their shoes, I wouldn't want to screw it up. Today was his B-day. I wouldn't want to spend all of my B-day working on a video even if it was huge.

Jahari Rogers (#154) picks Florida over Texas.

Fortunately, cornerback is pretty loaded with the on campus talent we have at this point but I am not really sure where we go next at the position.

We have Kitan Crawford (#189) committed.

We have missed on Jaylon Jones (#58, TAMU), Jalen Kimber (#78, UGA), Rogers, Ryan Watts (#259, OU) , and Jahquez Robinson (#301, Bama).

Things don't look good for top CB Kelee Ringo (#9) or Joshua Eaton (#336). Dwight McGlothern (#186) carries some significant concerns and apparently isn't a take for any local schools.

Ethan Pouncey (#177) is the 12th ranked CB in the nation and just released a top 5 with us. His brother, Jordan, is still on campus and could help us swing things.

I think we have a sluggers chance with Pouncey just because his brother is here. Were it not for his brother I highly doubt he gives us the time of day. With that said, he is a talent and would be an excellent addition to this class. I love his size and athletic ability. He reminds me a bit of Holton Hill (hopefully without the herbal baggage).

Fortunately the drama with Broughton was short lived. After having video issues on Monday and an unclear commitment timeline after, he dropped his video today out of the blue. Things never really seemed in doubt for the horns but rumors of a multi-week delay certainly made a few nervous.

Broughton is the top DT prospect in the state and after missing on 5 star stud Demarvin Leal last year, he is easily the most important prospect joining this class. We only need one tackle on the field at a time so we can afford to hit on a stud at least every other year. Broughton will be there to back up and then take over for Keondre Coburn.

Fortunately the drama with Broughton was short lived. After having video issues on Monday and an unclear commitment timeline after, he dropped his video today out of the blue. Things never really seemed in doubt for the horns but rumors of a multi-week delay certainly made a few nervous.

Broughton is the top DT prospect in the state and after missing on 5 star stud Demarvin Leal last year, he is easily the most important prospect joining this class. We only need one tackle on the field at a time so we can afford to hit on a stud at least every other year. Broughton will be there to back up and then take over for Keondre Coburn.

Actually, I'm not sure where Broughton ends up position-wise. He may end up as a great fit for our 4i DE, perhaps depending on how he grows and fills out.

Also, this represents another very high quality commit. We continue to have a small class relatively, only 9 commits (and will probably end with a smaller class this cycle), but the quality is second to none. Well, second to one. The only team with a higher average ranking is Clemson at a very impressive .9456 helped by 5 5 stars! Texas ranks second at .9387.

In terms of 4 and 5 stars, Texas has 8 which ranks 10th overall.

These numbers only improve if we can get commits from guys we clearly lead for in Chris Thompson Jr, Chad Lindberg, Alfred Collins and Quentin Johnston.

Jahari Rogers (#154) picks Florida over Texas.

Fortunately, cornerback is pretty loaded with the on campus talent we have at this point but I am not really sure where we go next at the position.

We have Kitan Crawford (#189) committed.

We have missed on Jaylon Jones (#58, TAMU), Jalen Kimber (#78, UGA), Rogers, Ryan Watts (#259, OU) , and Jahquez Robinson (#301, Bama).

Things don't look good for top CB Kelee Ringo (#9) or Joshua Eaton (#336). Dwight McGlothern (#186) carries some significant concerns and apparently isn't a take for any local schools.

Ethan Pouncey (#177) is the 12th ranked CB in the nation and just released a top 5 with us. His brother, Jordan, is still on campus and could help us swing things.
New offer out to a 3 star CB, current South Carolina commit, Dominick Hill. https://247sports.com/player/dominick-hill-46038448/. I don't know much about him, and we would have to flip him but he represents the first of what might be a handful of new CB offers going out.

A name to know along the DL recruiting front, Van Fillinger out of Utah. He visited a while back and it was clear there was mutual interest but unclear how much. Some recent Crystal Ball activity for him to Texas and potential for a commitment soon. He is a high 3 star (24/7 has him as a 4 star) but seems to have a great build already at this point. More of a developmental prospect but seems to have a frame we could mold.

This may be a move to offset the staff feeling the Princely Umanmielen isn't headed our way.

https://247sports.com/Player/Van-Fillinger-46056161/

A name to know along the DL recruiting front, Van Fillinger out of Utah. He visited a while back and it was clear there was mutual interest but unclear how much. Some recent Crystal Ball activity for him to Texas and potential for a commitment soon. He is a high 3 star (24/7 has him as a 4 star) but seems to have a great build already at this point. More of a developmental prospect but seems to have a frame we could mold.

This may be a move to offset the staff feeling the Princely Umanmielen isn't headed our way.

https://247sports.com/Player/Van-Fillinger-46056161/
This appears to be happening, Carrington put out the Shhhh..... tweet and it is almost certainly in regards to Fillinger.

This appears to be happening, Carrington put out the Shhhh..... tweet and it is almost certainly in regards to Fillinger.

And there it is. Texas gets its second DL commit of the week in DE prospect, Van Fillinger out of Utah. Expect Van to stick at the DE position throughout his career. He has good size but will need to work to fill out over his senior year and is probably headed for a redshirt year at Texas. He looks really well built at this time but will need to bulk up and carry more weight at the next level. He has good athletic testing numbers, running a 4.9 40 and a 4.25 shuttle drill at the opening. With the underlying athleticism, just give Yancy McKnight a year or so to work with him and he will be a very useful player for Giles and Orlando to deploy.

More good news for Oscar Giles and the DL? Recruiting sites don't seem to agree on this currently but Alfred Collins, 4 star DE, may move up his commitment timeline and could drop sometime this week. Or, as some sites maintain, he will wait until the fall.

Either way, Texas looks good in this recruitment and Collins is the type of player that always has a spot. With two DL prospects on board and Collins expected, Texas may be mostly wrapped up at the position. Especially with a small recruiting class expected this year taking more than 3 DL may be a stretch. I'm sure they would take a 4th depending on the player but it won't be a JAG type. Princely would be the guy I would expect the staff to take no matter what. And they may be interested in taking a more pure NT type with a guy like Octavious Oxendine (all name team) being the most likely (3 star, 6'2" 308 lbs).

Collins is my top guy and he is a guy I think will end up a true impact player. At the beginning of this cycle we pegged 4 dlinemen, Broughton, Collins, and the two Princes. Well we got 2 of the 4 and if we pull in Collins, I'm calling it a very successful class. And yes, I know we are taking Prince Dorbah as a linebacker, but at the start of this cycle he was pegged as a rush end.

As far as the numbers go, I actually expect to see us take one more on the dline, maybe two. I think we need a true nose tackle and a weak side DE.

Just a side note. For anyone not happy with Giles as a recruiter, in the last 3 years he has landed the top defensive linemen two of the three. Not bad for a guy whose weakness is actually recruiting.

Reactions: oldhorn2
As far as the numbers go, I actually expect to see us take one more on the dline, maybe two. I think we need a true nose tackle and a weak side DE.
Do you have an idea of how many we will take this year overall? I've heard itll be small but not sure how small. I'd like to project how many at each position we take.

Reactions: weevilcatch

And there it is. Texas gets its second DL commit of the week in DE prospect, Van Fillinger out of Utah. Expect Van to stick at the DE position throughout his career. He has good size but will need to work to fill out over his senior year and is probably headed for a redshirt year at Texas. He looks really well built at this time but will need to bulk up and carry more weight at the next level. He has good athletic testing numbers, running a 4.9 40 and a 4.25 shuttle drill at the opening. With the underlying athleticism, just give Yancy McKnight a year or so to work with him and he will be a very useful player for Giles and Orlando to deploy.
VF was 16 he he put up those Spark numbers. Another Ojomo?

Do you have an idea of how many we will take this year overall? I've heard itll be small but not sure how small. I'd like to project how many at each position we take.

My guess

QB - 2 (done)
RB - 2 (need 1)
WR - 2-3 (need 2-3)
TE - 1 (need)
OT - 2 (done)
OG - 2 (need 1)
C - 1 (need 1)
DE - 2 (done)
DT - 2 (need 1)
ILB - 2 (need 2)
OLB - 2 (need 2)
CB - 2 (need 2)
S - 1 (need 1)

After double checking, I think 22 is the absolute max and require losing a guy or two. Looks as though 18-19 is more likely.

We sit at 20 right now in team ranks but should have 4 more commitments by start of season. Those should see us in the top 12 or so.

Last edited:

Kid reminds me of a slower Brian Robison. He ran an identical shuttle time as Robison but Brian ran a 4.68 40 and this kid is significantly slower running a 4.9+. He has obvious quickness he just may have no third gear in the speed department. He looks more like a traditional book end than quick jump pass rusher.

Perhaps we can get him faster but...... I doubt by much. Can't teach speed.

I think he could be good depth and don't have to worry about him transferring if he's not starting as a sophomore.

My guess

QB - 2 (done)
RB - 2 (need 1)
WR - 2-3 (need 2-3)
TE - 1 (need)
OT - 2 (done)
OG - 2 (need 1)
C - 1 (need 1)
DE - 2 (done)
DT - 2 (need 1)
ILB - 2 (need 2)
OLB - 2 (need 2)
CB - 2 (need 2)
S - 1 (need 1)

After double checking, I think 22 is the absolute max and require losing a guy or two. Looks as though 18-19 is more likely.

We sit at 20 right now in team ranks but should have 4 more commitments by start of season. Those should see us in the top 12 or so.
I wouldn't be surprised if we pass on TE this year. We have Cade Brewer for 2 more seasons and then Reese Leitao, Braydon Liebrock, and Jared Wiley already on campus. Jaden Hullaby is a 2020 RB but will fill more of a H-back role. We already have a true TE in the 2021 class.

I think we land one more lineman, hopefully it's Lindberg. He could be guard or tackle.

Reactions: weevilcatch
I wouldn't be surprised if we pass on TE this year. We have Cade Brewer for 2 more seasons and then Reese Leitao, Braydon Liebrock, and Jared Wiley already on campus. Jaden Hullaby is a 2020 RB but will fill more of a H-back role. We already have a true TE in the 2021 class.

I think we land one more lineman, hopefully it's Lindberg. He could be guard or tackle.

Yeah, when I went back a recounted schollies on campus and with commits I figured TE was a luxury. If we get a top 5 then so be it but it’s not a need.

Lindberg, Thompson Jr, Collins and Scott should commit soon. Those four will put us in at least the top 12.

I think we take 4-5 more after that

Every year we end losing 3 to 5 guys to attrition, it just naturally happens, some will transfer, some will have injuries that force them to quit, some might leave early for the draft. I expect to see some attrition this year as well. We will probably lose a QB, a DB or two, some defensive linemen. The numbers always work out.

Reactions: LonghornMM
My guess

QB - 2 (done)
RB - 2 (need 1)
WR - 2-3 (need 2-3)
TE - 1 (need)
OT - 2 (done)
OG - 2 (need 1)
C - 1 (need 1)
DE - 2 (done)
DT - 2 (need 1)
ILB - 2 (need 2)
OLB - 2 (need 2)
CB - 2 (need 2)
S - 1 (need 1)

I count 80 current scholarships, so we have 5 available. We have 13 seniors, so 13+5=18. I don't really see many candidates to declare for the draft early. Sam E. probably doesn't because even with a good year he isn't a prototypical QB. Samuel Cosmi has been talked up as a player who could leave early as a draft eligibie sophomore, who woulda thunk.

All that to say, I agree with your assessment. 18 for sure, maybe around 20-22 depending on transfers, retirements, etc.

We have signed 1 TE in Lake McRee and will likely land another this weekend in Juan Davis both for 2021.

As some of our Safety targets have decided to go elsewhere (Ransom to OSU, Washington to OU) I have been wondering if we would see new targets emerge. Today, Jerrin Thompson, a 4 star (#193 overall), out of Lufkin picked up an offer. I still expect Chris Thompson to choose the good guys on Aug 1st. Jerrin Thompson would be a nice 2nd safety in this class.

https://247sports.com/player/jerrin-thompson-46050436/

My guess

QB - 2 (done)
RB - 2 (need 1)
WR - 2-3 (need 2-3)
TE - 1 (need)
OT - 2 (done)
OG - 2 (need 1)
C - 1 (need 1)
DE - 2 (done)
DT - 2 (need 1)
ILB - 2 (need 2)
OLB - 2 (need 2)
CB - 2 (need 2)
S - 1 (need 1)

Here is my guess, working with a minimum of 20 recruits and adding a few guys in parentheses that we may end up with room for.
QB - 2 (Done)
Hudson Card
JaQuinden Jackson

RB - 2 (need 1)
Jaden Hullaby
+ Jace McClellan would be the prize at this point

WR - 2-3 (need 2)
+ Quentin Johnston
+ LV Bunkley Shelton
(Johnny Wilson)

TE - 0

OL - 4 (need 1)