ADVERTISEMENT

2020 recruiting

Unlikely. Princely’s spot is likely gone as well.
Things will get tight but I think you find a way to take these guys. We have 11 commits at this point and will be able to take 18 for sure and likely between 20-22 depending on how things shake out with current players.

Commits picking up.... Lindberg waited too long. The dance card may be full by Labor Day.
Great pick up here. Andrej is a big, now listed at 6'5" and 270 pounds, with room to grow tackle prospect who already possess good athleticism for the position. He runs well and gets out in space to the second level effectively. He has already added weight, from 240->270 in less than a year and could likely continue on this trajectory as needed. He will probably hit campus around 285 and after a year with Yancy, be over 300 easily. If he maintains his athleticism at this larger size, he is a Sam Cosmi starter kit.

He isn't as highly ranked as some other OL recruits we are after, but he has a good floor and ceiling at this point. He will continue to get top notch coaching at South Lake Carrol and is currently working with UT alum, Donald Hawkins on OL specific technique. I also imagine he has the resources to continue transforming his body through nutrition and personal trainers.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/9318640/Andrej-Karic
https://247sports.com/player/andrej-karic-46050370/

I would be shocked if our class was less than 20. I expect 22 or 23. The real question is who is going to be our running back?

Things will get tight but I think you find a way to take these guys. We have 11 commits at this point and will be able to take 18 for sure and likely between 20-22 depending on how things shake out with current players.
This is from the Hornsports free forum. Take it for what it is worth

Saw Herman speak today at a luncheon at the Headliners club here in Austin. He did say that we would make room for 1 more OL commit in 2020 and that those of us who follow recruiting would know who he's talking about.........meaning Lindberg. Just wanted to share since there's been a lot of speculation as to whether Karic's verbal means were done with 2020 OL recruiting.

Reactions: q1w2e3
I would be shocked if our class was less than 20. I expect 22 or 23. The real question is who is going to be our running back?
I'm pretty sure anything above 18 depends on some attrition, which I wouldn't be surprised by (it happens every year). We could reach 23 but it would mean 5 guys decide to leave or hang it up.

No need to take too many developmental fliers with the transfer portal allowing to fill holes.

With the 4 OL verbals for 2020 the team is up to 17 scholarship OLs for 2020. For 2021 Connor is in and both Brockermeyer boys are a given. Savion Byrd is widely expected to follow JQJ.

With a 3 man front I can’t see taking two DEs.

Last edited:
I like how much depth Herman is creating at O line. Remember when we had to start true freshmen on the O line? Those days were fun.

Reactions: weevilcatch
Here is my guess, working with a minimum of 20 recruits and adding a few guys in parentheses that we may end up with room for.
QB - 2 (Done)
Hudson Card
JaQuinden Jackson

RB - 2 (need 1)
Jaden Hullaby
+ Jace McClellan would be the prize at this point

WR - 2-3 (need 2)
+ Quentin Johnston
+ LV Bunkley Shelton
(Johnny Wilson)

TE - 0

OL - 4 (need 1)
Jake Majors
Logan Parr
Jaylen Garth
+ Andrej Karic
(Chad Lindberg)

DL - 3-4 (need 1)
Vernon Broughton
Van Fillinger
+ Alfred Collins
(Princely Umanmielen)

LB - 2-3 (need 2)
Prince Dorbah
+Josh White
(Brennon Scott)

CB - 2 (need 1)
Kitan Crawford
+ Ethan Pouncey

S - 2 (need 2)
+Chris Thompson Jr
+Jerrin Thompson

That would put us in the top 10 for sure and maybe around 5-7

And there it is. Texas gets its second DL commit of the week in DE prospect, Van Fillinger out of Utah. Expect Van to stick at the DE position throughout his career. He has good size but will need to work to fill out over his senior year and is probably headed for a redshirt year at Texas. He looks really well built at this time but will need to bulk up and carry more weight at the next level. He has good athletic testing numbers, running a 4.9 40 and a 4.25 shuttle drill at the opening. With the underlying athleticism, just give Yancy McKnight a year or so to work with him and he will be a very useful player for Giles and Orlando to deploy.

Let me tell you guys something. The state of Utah is getting a rep for producing talented linemen. Two years ago Tom Herman went to Salt Lake City and got a commit from Junior Angilou who has a chance to be good ol. Van Fillick now gives us a footprint in Utah. There are a lot of lineman from Utah playing at P5 schools all over the country.

Let me tell you guys something. The state of Utah is getting a rep for producing talented linemen. Two years ago Tom Herman went to Salt Lake City and got a commit from Junior Angilou who has a chance to be good ol. Van Fillick now gives us a footprint in Utah. There are a lot of lineman from Utah playing at P5 schools all over the country.
Van Fillinger is a beast too. Check out these clips he posted on twitter recently.
21 reps on 225 BP is really good for a kid entering his senior year. At the combine only 6 D-linemen hit 30 or more reps.

Squatting over 500 and hang clean 335. If you have never done a hang clean, it is quite a bit more challenging than a clean off the ground because you don't have the same momentum.

Reactions: LonghornMM
Van Fillinger is a beast too. Check out these clips he posted on twitter recently.
21 reps on 225 BP is really good for a kid entering his senior year. At the combine only 6 D-linemen hit 30 or more reps.

Squatting over 500 and hang clean 335. If you have never done a hang clean, it is quite a bit more challenging than a clean off the ground because you don't have the same momentum.

Kid will benefit from a college weight program. I don't really care about bench or bench press numbers. Hang clean was pretty impressive in terms of force production. His technique was horrible. With a little coaching I can see him cleaning close to 400lbs from the floor. Squat was a little high but the speed coming out of the bottom at 505 for a guy built like that is pretty impressive. My biggest concern would be frame. I don't see where you could add much weight to the kid.

Kid will benefit from a college weight program. I don't really care about bench or bench press numbers. Hang clean was pretty impressive in terms of force production. His technique was horrible. With a little coaching I can see him cleaning close to 400lbs from the floor. Squat was a little high but the speed coming out of the bottom at 505 for a guy built like that is pretty impressive. My biggest concern would be frame. I don't see where you could add much weight to the kid.
He is another Ojomo. He just turned 17. He put up those Spark scores at 16 years old.

Im 40 and could never do what some of these 16yos can do. You really gotta be a freak of nature to play football. Its really quite impressive.

Reactions: weevilcatch
Not sure if you guys knew this, but in Utah, to play high school sports, the kids have to pay a fee for things like uniforms and pads. When my son was a freshmen at Clearfield High in Clearfield Utah, for him to play freshmen football cost me $135 bucks and we had to supply shoes, mouth guard, jock and pads for hands and arms. Oh and a neck roll. Football in that state doesn't make money and the coaches are no where near as good as what we have here. In fact I was allowed to help coach the freshmen kids at practice.

Van is a kid that is no stranger to the weight room, I'm curious how much real position coaching he has gotten. I noticed there were a number of external football training centers kids to join like FWK is doing. Of course those cost considerable money.

Now I will say there are a couple schools that are powerhouse schools where the coaches are pretty darn good. Skyline was one of them, there was a school in Orem that was also pretty darn good.

Finally, one last important thing about Utah, they have a huge Polynesian population and you will notice that the majority of their best players are in fact Polynesian. I have to say, those kids are athletic freaks of nature. There was a 5 year old kid that would play with my kids, he looked like he was already lifting weights he was so cut. That was about 12 years ago, I bet he is about a junior now.

Not sure if you guys knew this, but in Utah, to play high school sports, the kids have to pay a fee for things like uniforms and pads. When my son was a freshmen at Clearfield High in Clearfield Utah, for him to play freshmen football cost me $135 bucks and we had to supply shoes, mouth guard, jock and pads for hands and arms. Oh and a neck roll. Football in that state doesn't make money and the coaches are no where near as good as what we have here. In fact I was allowed to help coach the freshmen kids at practice.

Van is a kid that is no stranger to the weight room, I'm curious how much real position coaching he has gotten. I noticed there were a number of external football training centers kids to join like FWK is doing. Of course those cost considerable money.

Now I will say there are a couple schools that are powerhouse schools where the coaches are pretty darn good. Skyline was one of them, there was a school in Orem that was also pretty darn good.

Finally, one last important thing about Utah, they have a huge Polynesian population and you will notice that the majority of their best players are in fact Polynesian. I have to say, those kids are athletic freaks of nature. There was a 5 year old kid that would play with my kids, he looked like he was already lifting weights he was so cut. That was about 12 years ago, I bet he is about a junior now.

I forgot to mention the number of.Polynesians in Utah and you're right about how so many of them are good athletes. I read somewhere that per capita American Somoa produces more NFL players than anywhere else. It used to be that a lot of Polynesians were like 6'0 300 lbs. Not anymore. Marcus Marriota is a good example. And it's not just Utah. Hawaii, that's right Hawaii, has a lot of good Polynesian athletes. Washington had a top 15 recruiting class and more than half of them are Polynesians including a 4* receiver who's supposed to be fast. One last thing there is an all star game in Honolulu called the Polynesian Bowl. I wish it was on tv a fb fan would enjoy watching a bunch of good P5 worthy talent.

I don't know if we have a chance to get him but there is another kid in Utah a dl named Xavier Carlton. He has an Omenihu frame 6'7" 230. He hasn't given any indication as to who his favorites are but fwiw I did notice we were on his list. I think Junior Angilou has a chance to be a good player before he leaves here. I will look forward to watching him Van Fillinger and the other Polynesian athletes that Coach Herman will bring to Austin for the next few years.

Last edited:
This is from the Hornsports free forum. Take it for what it is worth

Saw Herman speak today at a luncheon at the Headliners club here in Austin. He did say that we would make room for 1 more OL commit in 2020 and that those of us who follow recruiting would know who he's talking about.........meaning Lindberg. Just wanted to share since there's been a lot of speculation as to whether Karic's verbal means were done with 2020 OL recruiting.
Seems like it may be a moot point, Lindberg seems to be trending Georgia (man, I hate Georgia - they have stolen so many recruits lately). Lindberg has seemed like a Texas lean all along and the biggest red flag has been the fact he hadn't shut it down.

Texas may have caught wind of this and that is why we went ahead and took Andrej Karic. We do have Courtland Ford coming in for a visit this weekend. He is a low 4 star OT who decommited from LSU earlier in the cycle. Doesn't have a Texas offer but could potentially pick one up - that would be pretty telling if the staff is looking to take a 5th OL commit not named Lindberg.

Reactions: ArchDawg
Word is that if it's Linberg he gets the 5th spot, if it's not then they hold the ship for next year. I think the only way we take Ford is if he has an amazing senior year and proves he is over his knee issues.

I was watching film of Karic, that dude has a nasty streak in him. He never gives up on a play and is always looking for someone to crush. I absolutely loved watching him. You can tell he is raw, but the attitude is fantastic, he is going to be a good one in a couple of years. I actually expect him to be a 4 star by the end of his senior year. Then again, this is Texas, he might be a 6 star after the BOMC gets done.

Reactions: Bwilk55 and freeper
As some of our Safety targets have decided to go elsewhere (Ransom to OSU, Washington to OU) I have been wondering if we would see new targets emerge. Today, Jerrin Thompson, a 4 star (#193 overall), out of Lufkin picked up an offer. I still expect Chris Thompson to choose the good guys on Aug 1st. Jerrin Thompson would be a nice 2nd safety in this class.

https://247sports.com/player/jerrin-thompson-46050436/
Watch this one closely this weekend, I think a commitment could be coming. Check out the Hudl highlights. Jerrin has to be one of the more physical safeties I've seen. When he tackles guys, he completely stops them in their tracks and finishes them off with a suplex onto their backs. He also does a good job timing his big hits on WRs and separating them from the ball.

When our class fills up early (see the Mack years) and there isn't room for those 4 and 5 star athletes remaining, it "worries" me.

Now, with our class so slow to develop, it also worries me that it won't fill out.
  1. What's going on?
  2. Should I be concerned?

When our class fills up early (see the Mack years) and there isn't room for those 4 and 5 star athletes remaining, it "worries" me.

Now, with our class so slow to develop, it also worries me that it won't fill out.
  1. What's going on?

1-This is how it will always be with TH
2-No

1. What's going on?
The class is coming together quite nicely and by the end of the week we could be up to 14 commits (Jerrin Thompson, Chris Thompson and Bijan Robinson). We will have a smaller class as discussed above, 18-22 commits probably. Of those 4-8 spots we are looking for 2-3 WRs (Quentin Johnston, LV Buckley), 1-2 more DL (Alfred Collins), a LB (Josh White?, Brennon Scott?), and a CB (Ethan Pouncey?).

There will be some surprises and some new names pop up as we go but it really won't be too crazy over the next 6 months with the 2020 class.

Reactions: LonghornMM
5 star WR Johnny Wilson committed to Oregon today. While Oregon was the long time favorite here, Texas made a very strong push and a very strong impression. Unfortunately, a second place finish in recruiting does you no good. Texas will keep working on Wilson but this ship has likely sailed.

At WR we are still looking for our first commitment for 2020. We will probably take 2 guys at a minimum and add a 3rd only if high quality.
I feel very good about Quentin Johnston (#61 overall and #11 WR). We more recently have gotten into things with LV Bunkley (#224/#39) and he has responded very positively. After that, JJ Hester continues to be a name I hear of and he could round out the class (#163/#32). Devon Achane is another guy we have offered who could fill a slot type role but he seems A&M bound.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT