ADVERTISEMENT

2020 recruiting

The class is coming together quite nicely and by the end of the week we could be up to 14 commits (Jerrin Thompson, Chris Thompson and Bijan Robinson). We will have a smaller class as discussed above, 18-22 commits probably. Of those 4-8 spots we are looking for 2-3 WRs (Quentin Johnston, LV Buckley), 1-2 more DL (Alfred Collins), a LB (Josh White?, Brennon Scott?), and a CB (Ethan Pouncey?).

There will be some surprises and some new names pop up as we go but it really won't be too crazy over the next 6 months with the 2020 class.

CB's coming in for J Thomas, LVB and B Robinson. CB's (a lot) already in for C Thompson and Brennon Scott.

Those right there put us at 266 points on 247. That would be 6th with only 17 commits. Round it out with another 4-5 and you're looking at another top 5 class.

Reactions: Bwilk55
I have been saying for the longest that Collins is the real prize on the dline this year. That guy is huge and crazy athletic. His pictures still look like a guy that hasn't grown into his body and he is already at a slim 286 lbs. That is just crazy. He is going to hit the weights and be a very athletic 310 lb DE.

1-This is how it will always be with TH
2-No
Really? Maybe this has to do with the TBIs & concussion(s) I had playing football (and a really bad one at pole vaulting -- super windy day), but I don't remember Herman's recruiting classes ever being this slow to develop.

We did make a last-minute jump a year ago that really upset Aggy, but the entire class wasn't this slow, was it?

Reactions: tacdog
Really? Maybe this has to do with the TBIs & concussion(s) I had playing football (and a really bad one at pole vaulting -- super windy day), but I don't remember Herman's recruiting classes ever being this slow to develop.

We did make a last-minute jump a year ago that really upset Aggy, but the entire class wasn't this slow, was it?

Well, that first 3rd ranked class was pretty stretched out. Had some very late commits and 1-2 Feb decisions. We also had quite a few late July/Early August commits.

I feel like it was the same last year and we had freaking out going on over here.

This year the class will be smaller and we have whiffed on a few highly regarded players so it looks alarming. But we should be around 15 commits in late August with a ranking around 10th. Well finish out with 5-7 more recruits and another possible top 5 class. Just the way it goes now I guess

Reactions: Metcalf #2
near got lynched by the Unicorn faithful.

@Belldozer1 the last Texas HS football game I saw was back about 2007 or so.....went with a good buddy of mine to Lockhart to watch the Fightin' Unicorns dismantle the Lions. My buddy is a huge NB fan, his daughter went to school there and back in the day, he played ball at Northshore. I remember that game mostly because your favorite Sooner, Tom Wort, wreaked havoc that night on Lockhart. I think he ended up with something like 22 tackles that game.....

I absolutely love there’s a team called the Unicorns. That is up there with the fightin syrupmakers of Cairo, GA and the Atomsmashers of Johnson-Savannah.

At this exact date the 2018 class had 13 commits and the 2019 class had 14.

Right now the current class has 11 and could be 12-14 within a couple weeks. This current class will also be a smaller class than the previous two so they are filling up at about the same pace.

However, I think you will see a little more accelerated pace in the future as Texas and Herman establish their presence and consistently win big. They will be able to lock down their high profile targets earlier and establish some momentum like we are seeing in the 2021 class that already has six commits. But I doubt you’ll see Herman have 90% of a class committed a year before signing day like Mack was doing at one point, Herman will be more methodical in his evals.

Texas is looking to finish a big summer on the recruiting trail after going almost 4 months between 4 star commits this spring. Jaylen Garth jumped on board in mid-February but then things went quiet until Ja'Quinden Jackson opened the flood gates in early June. After the JQJ commitment, Texas has received verbals from Kitan Crawford, Prince Dorbah, Vernon Broughton, Van Fillinger and Andrej Karic. They have also landed 6 2021 commitments over these two months.

What's even better? Texas seems to have a few more likely commits coming their way in the next few days.
Fri Aug 2nd - 2 pm Bijan Robinson is scheduled to make his announcement and all signs point to Texas. The 5 star running back will be the highest ranked recruit in the class.

Sun Aug 4th - Chris Thompson Jr - CTJ was originally scheduled to announce today (Aug 1st) but some video issues led him to push back the date. Things still look very good for Texas but Auburn has been a name tossed around recently. I haven't seen any media types changing their predictions but this is something to watch this weekend. I am hopeful it was just an attempt to create some drama around a recruitment that has seemed pretty straightforward so far.

WR Javion Hester has been on the radar for quite a while but more recently things have picked up between him and Texas. A lot of crystal ball picks for Texas have rolled in recently. He doesn't have a set announcement time but usually this much activity is indicative of an imminent decision. Things also look good regarding WRs Quentin Johnston and LV Bunkley-Shelton. Again, no commitments are scheduled at this time but I could see both landing at Texas to round out a solid 3 man class.

I also expect DE Alfred Collins and S Jerrin Thompson to join the class at some point. A CB is another clear need and Ethan Pouncey or Joshua Eaton seem the most likely candidates at this time. After that, we have just a few available spots in the class.

Literally Texas class could be up to 13 by Monday according to 247 system. If we get Collins and J Thompson that moves us to 6th and you know who is going to absolutely flip out if that happens.

Reactions: weevilcatch
Texas is looking to finish a big summer on the recruiting trail after going almost 4 months between 4 star commits this spring. Jaylen Garth jumped on board in mid-February but then things went quiet until Ja'Quinden Jackson opened the flood gates in early June. After the JQJ commitment, Texas has received verbals from Kitan Crawford, Prince Dorbah, Vernon Broughton, Van Fillinger and Andrej Karic. They have also landed 6 2021 commitments over these two months.

What's even better? Texas seems to have a few more likely commits coming their way in the next few days.
Fri Aug 2nd - 2 pm Bijan Robinson is scheduled to make his announcement and all signs point to Texas. The 5 star running back will be the highest ranked recruit in the class.

Sun Aug 4th - Chris Thompson Jr - CTJ was originally scheduled to announce today (Aug 1st) but some video issues led him to push back the date. Things still look very good for Texas but Auburn has been a name tossed around recently. I haven't seen any media types changing their predictions but this is something to watch this weekend. I am hopeful it was just an attempt to create some drama around a recruitment that has seemed pretty straightforward so far.

WR Javion Hester has been on the radar for quite a while but more recently things have picked up between him and Texas. A lot of crystal ball picks for Texas have rolled in recently. He doesn't have a set announcement time but usually this much activity is indicative of an imminent decision. Things also look good regarding WRs Quentin Johnston and LV Bunkley-Shelton. Again, no commitments are scheduled at this time but I could see both landing at Texas to round out a solid 3 man class.

I also expect DE Alfred Collins and S Jerrin Thompson to join the class at some point. A CB is another clear need and Ethan Pouncey or Joshua Eaton seem the most likely candidates at this time. After that, we have just a few available spots in the class.

If Bijan Robinson commits, will that affect the Zach Evans pursuit by UT?

I don't think so. Herman is recruiting Evans and Texas will gladly take both if both want to come.

By most accounts Texas isn't pushing for Evans and hasn't been for awhile. I'm sure they'd take him if he wanted to commit. Until ZE's buddy DG moves on from Bama I expect Evans to go to Bama.

By most accounts Texas isn't pushing for Evans and hasn't been for awhile. I'm sure they'd take him if he wanted to commit. Until ZE's buddy DG moves on from Bama I expect Evans to go to Bama.

Herman is still recruiting Evans. He wanted him to commit early, one to lock up the top RB in the state, and two, to help with credibility and to help draw other top players to the 2020 class. Evans has no intention of committing to any school early. It will go down to very close to signing day before he announces his intention. That said, Alabama is the heavy favorite, and Texas' chances of landing him are slim.

Looking to have big smiles at 2pm today, unless his announcement is a push out date announcement!

Hook Em!

How is it a clown show with Evans? He just isn't ready to commit to any school at this point.
Evans is all over the place. He has already eliminated schools and then visited them - maybe to make an apology. He has trash talked multiple schools recruiting him (Texas and Bama). His brother gets in disputes with folks on social media.

I'm glad we got Bijan and if we go after a second RB, I doubt it would be Evans.

Evans is all over the place. He has already eliminated schools and then visited them - maybe to make an apology. He has trash talked multiple schools recruiting him (Texas and Bama). His brother gets in disputes with folks on social media.

I'm glad we got Bijan and if we go after a second RB, I doubt it would be Evans.

Evans' brother got into it with some people at a&m. Jimbo also wanted him to commit early and he said no. The issue with his brother at a&m pretty much killed any chance of aggy landing him. Do you have a link to him trash talking Texas or Alabama?

Evans' brother got into it with some people at a&m. Jimbo also wanted him to commit early and he said no. The issue with his brother at a&m pretty much killed any chance of aggy landing him. Do you have a link to him trash talking Texas or Alabama?
The quote was about Texas not being a contender and barely beating Georgia. He said F*** Alabama on some live form of social media.

The quote was about Texas not being a contender and barely beating Georgia. He said F*** Alabama on some live form of social media.
After the TCU win he said he wanted to see Texas 'play a real defense like OU' to evaluate. He's not coming here.
If there is a second RB for 2020 I want Ty Jordan for his speed.

Reactions: Bwilk55
ADVERTISEMENT