ADVERTISEMENT

2020 recruiting

Keep an eye on two guys who may wrap up our DB recruiting (save for Ringo jumping on board late) by committing this week or next.

Joshua Eaton is a low 4 star CB (#335 overall) who has seen a lot of momentum for Texas recently. His recruitment has been all over the map as teams have seemed to be hot and cold on him as they have pursued other targets. Most recently this has been down to UT and TAMU with both schools seemingly pushing for his services. He's not the highest ranked recruit but he has a guy with the physical traits and skills that UTs defensive coaches covet. He would have time to develop behind upperclassmen at the position and then take over in several years.
https://247sports.com/player/joshua-eaton-46042923/

The other is safety Xavion Alford, a 4 star (#145 overall) out of Houston who is 7 on 7 teammates with Eaton. The two are close and while not a package deal would certainly like to play together. Their recruitments have been similar as well as a variety of teams have seemed to be the favorite for Alford at different times. More recently TAMU seemed to take the lead and has received multiple crystal balls in their favor. However, it seems Texas may be swinging things back in their favor as many Aggy mods are starting to back off on their prediction that he will be an aggy. He is one of the highest ranked safeties we offered this year and would be a welcome addition to the 40 acres.
https://247sports.com/player/xavion-alford-46051445/

A few recruitments have wrapped up since I last considered how this class may finish and a few more commitments look likely before the season starts. Working with a number between 18-22, here is how this class likely wraps up.

+ = likely to be added to class
( ) = long shot for class

QB - 2 (Done)
Hudson Card (#57)
JaQuinden Jackson (#66)

RB - 2
Bijan Robinson (#18)
+ Ty Jordan (#426)

H-back - 1 (done)
Jaden Hullaby (#592)

WR - 2-3 (need 2)
+ Quentin Johnston (#67)
+ Javion Hester (#163)
+ LV Bunkley Shelton (#196)
(Johnny Wilson)

TE - 0 (done)

OL - 4 (done)
Jaylen Garth (#131)
Jake Majors (#168)
Logan Parr (#228)
Andrej Karic (#513)

DL - 4 (need 1)
Vernon Broughton (#81)
+ Alfred Collins (#157)
Princely Umanmielen (#230)
Van Fillinger (#376)

LB - 1-2 (need 1)
Prince Dorbah (#116)
(Josh White)
(Brennon Scott)

CB - 3 (need 1)
Ethan Pouncey (#156)
Kitan Crawford (#182)
+ Joshua Eaton (#335)
(Kelee Ringo)

S - 2 (need 1)
+ Xavion Alford (#145)
Jerrin Thompson (#193)

That's 15 commits with at least 7 guys to feel good about (Xavion Alford, Joshua Eaton, Alfred Collins Ty Jordan, Quentin Johnston, Javion Hester and LV Bunkley-Shelton). Numbers may get tight at we only have 18 certain scholarships though I am sure the coaches have an idea of what to expect in attrition and numbers always seem to work themselves out. This would be a very solid class if they close out with these 7.

A few recruitments have wrapped up since I last considered how this class may finish and a few more commitments look likely before the season starts. Working with a number between 18-22, here is how this class likely wraps up.

+ = likely to be added to class
( ) = long shot for class

QB - 2 (Done)
Hudson Card (#57)
JaQuinden Jackson (#66)

RB - 2
Bijan Robinson (#18)
+ Ty Jordan (#426)

H-back - 1 (done)
Jaden Hullaby (#592)

WR - 2-3 (need 2)
+ Quentin Johnston (#67)
+ Javion Hester (#163)
+ LV Bunkley Shelton (#196)
(Johnny Wilson)

TE - 0 (done)

OL - 4 (done)
Jaylen Garth (#131)
Jake Majors (#168)
Logan Parr (#228)
Andrej Karic (#513)

DL - 4 (need 1)
Vernon Broughton (#81)
+ Alfred Collins (#157)
Princely Umanmielen (#230)
Van Fillinger (#376)

LB - 1-2 (need 1)
Prince Dorbah (#116)
(Josh White)
(Brennon Scott)

CB - 3 (need 1)
Ethan Pouncey (#156)
Kitan Crawford (#182)
+ Joshua Eaton (#335)
(Kelee Ringo)

S - 2 (need 1)
+ Xavion Alford (#145)
Jerrin Thompson (#193)

That's 15 commits with at least 7 guys to feel good about (Xavion Alford, Joshua Eaton, Alfred Collins Ty Jordan, Quentin Johnston, Javion Hester and LV Bunkley-Shelton). Numbers may get tight at we only have 18 certain scholarships though I am sure the coaches have an idea of what to expect in attrition and numbers always seem to work themselves out. This would be a very solid class if they close out with these 7.
With those additions, our class has a real possibility of top 5. Those additions would put us at #5 ahead of Georgia (not adding anything to what they already have). All in all, another top 10 class seems to be in the works.

With those additions, our class has a real possibility of top 5. Those additions would put us at #5 ahead of Georgia (not adding anything to what they already have). All in all, another top 10 class seems to be in the works.

Going to be too small for top 5 this year but could have more points that last year's top 5 class.

Yeah, I don't think we land in the top 5 but probably top 10 and with the smallest class and one of the top 3 or so avg star rankings.

To me the class average is most important, we are in the top 3 to 5 in average then we can't ask for more.
What's impressive about our class average is that we only have 1 5 star. That means we have so many highly ranked 4 stars that our average is remaining so high. Plenty of high quality players being added to our ranks.

Safety Xavion Alford is supposedly planning to commit at noon today. This is coming from an aggy mod (Brauninger I think), not Alford himself.

Reactions: HornsRuleU
I ventured over to texags.com.

they are a resilient bunch, I think they are still in the denial stage. Saw lots of didn't want him and overrated talk. A few are coming to the conclusion that Texas is a blue blood and will never go away. You know that was hard for them to admit.

I hope that Tom Herman and Texas can keep the North Shore pipeline open and not let a&m get their foot in the door there. Texas needs to throw the kitchen sink at Evans to get his signature next year. He is a must get at RB for the Horns, not only to come play in Austin, but to firmly establish themselves at NS with all of the D1 talent that they have.

A&M makes top 11 for 5-star Zachary Evans, nation's No. 1 RB

ByDAMON SAYLES

8508172.jpg

(Photo: Damon Sayles, 247Sports)

Back in July, North Shore 2020 running back Zachary Evans announced a top-25 list and said he planned on cutting that list down when the time was right. Sunday evening, the 5-star prospect and nation's top-ranked running back and No. 2 overall player according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite made his latest recruiting move -- and Texas A&M remained a contender in his recruiting process.

Evans announced his top 11 schools by way of social media, and the Aggies joined Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Penn State, Texas and Washington on the list. Evans is a 6-foot, 205-pound back with north of 35 reported offers.

Evans, as of early Sunday evening, has six 247Sports Crystal Ball predictions. Three favor Texas A&M, two point to Texas, and one is for LSU.

The Aggies extended an offer to Evans in June of 2017, and he made multiple visits to the campus during the 2018 calendar year. He has built a good relationship with both head coach Jimbo Fisher and running backs coach Jay Graham.

"I like Jimbo Fisher. I mean ... it's just him," Evans told GigEm247. "I like the running backs coach [Graham] and the O-line coach [Jim Turner]. Everybody knows I'm big on the O-line. I've been talking to them plenty."

Evans made the trip to Orlando, Florida, for the Under Armour Future 50 camp this past Thursday. It was there where he impressed the coaches, as well as recruiting analysts in attendance. 247Sports' Greg Biggins said Evans "is the top-rated back in the 2020 class ... it's easy to see why."

"He has a great frame at about 6-0, 205 pounds, is a decision runner who can get downhill in a hurry and caught the ball well out of the backfield," Biggins said.

Prior to the 2018 season, Evans had a busy spring and summer that included unofficial visits to a handful of Power 5 programs. He made trips to Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Alabama, Auburn and Baylor this past offseason. During the regular season, Evans was busy making highlight reels en route to helping North Shore win a Class 6A Division I state title in an epic championship game against Duncanville -- a game where North Shore won, 41-36, on a Hail Mary with no time on the clock and capped a 16-0 season.

Evans helped North Shore complete one of the most dominant runs by a Texas high school champion, as the Mustangs beat state powers Katy (twice) and Lake Travis before defeating a Duncanville team that took out defending 6A Division I state champ -- and national No. 1 in some polls -- in Allen.

In the championship game against a very good Duncanville defense, Evans finished with 96 rushing yards on 21 carries. As a sophomore, Evans rushed for nearly 1,500 yards and 27 touchdowns, but he finished his junior year with nearly 1,800 rushing yards and 29 touchdowns. Evans brings speed, size, power and confidence to the field He additionally has great hands out of the backfield.

2020 NORTH SHORE RB ZACHARY EVANS
The nation’s No. 2 overall prospect in the class of 2020, five-star running back Zachary Evans is a chance for Texas A&M to sign a player from North Shore for the first time since Eric Crutchfield. That was all the way back in the class of 2000, which means it has been 20 years since the Aggies have landed someone from a school that was just named the mythical national champion.

The 6-foot, 205-pound junior is actually very high on A&M at this point, but he also has the Tide among his top schools. Though the position is incredibly important as well, Evans’ recruitment is even more about perception. If A&M can beat the Tide – and LSU, Texas and others – for Evans at a school they do not usually have success at, it would show that the Aggies have turned a corner in recruiting.

https://247sports.com/college/texas...2020-Zachary-Evans-nations-No-1-RB-121237573/
He will probably shock everyone and sign with Oklahoma State. WS

Just got some info regarding a couple of North Shore kids. Zach Evans has cooled somewhat on Alabama and is now leaning Georgia. Shadrach Banks, who is committed to a&m, recently had foot surgery and will miss the first three or four games.

Just got some info regarding a couple of North Shore kids. Zach Evans has cooled somewhat on Alabama and is now leaning Georgia. Shadrach Banks, who is committed to a&m, recently had foot surgery and will miss the first three or four games.
Didn't Georgia receive a verbal commit from Kendall Milton, another elite back this cycle? Stinks for Banks, that kid was electric last year. Hopefully he recovers well and doesn't rush the return.

Didn't Georgia receive a verbal commit from Kendall Milton, another elite back this cycle? Stinks for Banks, that kid was electric last year. Hopefully he recovers well and doesn't rush the return.

Yeah, what's crazy is Georgia is absolutely loaded at RB.

Yep, it could be like Sony Michele and the Holyfield kid, that you don't see the field on a consistent basis until you are a senior. I get competition, but with all these kids wanting to play right away, not go somewhere the depth chart isn't soo crowded. (side note: I misspelled competition originally, and the word it suggested was compensation; how does my computer know we are talking about the $EC?

Who was that GA rb that fumbled against us in the SB? He came to the sidelines upset, not angry upset. The coaches told him. to keep his mind in the game. In other words he was crying. What? Earl Campbell didn't cry when he fumbled. Jim Brown didn't cry when he fumbled. There's no crying in fb lol. Whatever it was he was worthless the rest of the game. So maybe there's a reason GA is recruiting another rb.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT