ADVERTISEMENT

A prime example of this staff not doing their job

Another glaring problem with 4MNC’s theory is more than one of those players would have to be dropped by Texas after they had publicly committed to the University.

One of the dumbest things you could do in recruiting to yourself is to drop a committed player after an injury.

only dumb if you’re not winning. My bet is if Alabama drops a player it’s not a big deal. It’s all about how your program is doing.

Sick day today. Watching the replay of the Tech vs Texas game. Just heard Texas is the most penalized team in the Big 12 & 115th nationally. Lack of discipline.

But sometimes the risk is worth it. Back in 2010, a TE was drafted in the 2nd round, having not played his final year of college football because of back surgery. That was Rob Gronkowski. He continued to have injury issues throughout his career, but the Patriots clearly made the right decision. But I'm sure at least one team, if not more, was getting reccomendations to stay clear. So what's the right answer in those situations?

You’re not factoring in Belichick’s obvious sale of his eternal soul to Satan here, sir.

Reactions: 4MNChampsHorn
Another glaring problem with 4MNC’s theory is more than one of those players would have to be dropped by Texas after they had publicly committed to the University.

One of the dumbest things you could do in recruiting to yourself is to drop a committed player after an injury.
I see this argument. Dropping a kid that's been injured sends a negative message to other kids that are younger. But injuries aren't "usually" statistical anomalies. Attrition happens at every program. However, over the last few years, Texas "seems" to have suffered an inordinate amount of injuries to not only key position, but also to position groups. Remember a few years back when we could keep anybody healthy on the OLine? We were the walking wounded from top to bottom. This year it was the secondary and running backs. A few years back it was also at running back. What year was it that we couldn't keep any LBs on the field?

There's either something fundamentally wrong with some aspect of our strength and conditioning training or we just have really, really sh!tty luck.

Did these same coaches have injury problems before they got to Texas?
I mean when Herman won a NC at tOSU, he was playing with his 3rd string QB, so "catastrophic injuries" aren't new to him...typically revolves around the QB though.

I guess we need to pull scholarship offers for:

Hudson Card
Xavion Alford
Jaylen Garth
Troy Omeire
Logan Parr
Lake McCree
Dajon Harrison

While you are at it, you can cross all of those schools off any future recruiting visits, because there isn't a high school coach in Texas that is going to let's us anywhere near their kids, once they find out about our new analytical approach to recruiting. And that's just the beginning. Once the members of the THSCA gets wind of our brilliant plan, we will be persona non grata with their organization as well.

However, I agree that this approach will help us generate an abundance of luck. Of course, it will all be bad.

Hudson Card
Xavion Alford
Jaylen Garth
Troy Omeire
Logan Parr
Lake McCree
Dajon Harrison

While you are at it, you can cross all of those schools off any future recruiting visits, because there isn't a high school coach in Texas that is going to let's us anywhere near their kids, once they find out about our new analytical approach to recruiting. And that's just the beginning. Once the members of the THSCA gets wind of our brilliant plan, we will be persona non grata with their organization as well.

However, I agree that this approach will help us generate an abundance of luck. Of course, it will all be bad.

Spot on. I think the OP is justifiably upset with the season and really mad at the coaches for it, but didn’t quite think this one through.

Spot on. I think the OP is justifiably upset with the season and really mad at the coaches for it, but didn’t quite think this one through.
I am not suggesting we pull offers on ALL. It’s ok to gamble / take a flier on a few each year.

I’m not “mad” at the coaches. At the end of the day, they have to live with the decisions they make. Their decisions impact their employment not mine.

Regarding analysts, if trends & stats are to be discarded, why does UT employ several of them for their football program?

Regarding “this new recruiting technique” and it’s supposed negative effect with THSCA, other programs do the same thing (retract scholarship offers on injured players), like Alabama. They don’t seem to have any issues with THSCA.

Hudson Card
Xavion Alford
Jaylen Garth
Troy Omeire
Logan Parr
Lake McCree
Dajon Harrison

7/17 with high school football injuries definitely warrants further analysis! Were these joints, muscles, and/or tendons that were damaged & then repaired (high risk of re injury in college)? Were they simple fractures (lower risk of re injury)?

I am not suggesting we pull offers on ALL. It’s ok to gamble / take a flier on a few each year.

I’m not “mad” at the coaches. At the end of the day, they have to live with the decisions they make. Their decisions impact their employment not mine.

Regarding analysts, if trends & stats are to be discarded, why does UT employ several of them for their football program?

Regarding “this new recruiting technique” and it’s supposed negative effect with THSCA, other programs do the same thing (retract scholarship offers on injured players), like Alabama. They don’t seem to have any issues with THSCA.

Could you please provide evidence of the universities and coaches that routinely pull scholarship offers from athletes that get injured? I don't even know Coach Webb, but I will email him personally with your findings.

Could you please provide evidence of the universities and coaches that routinely pull scholarship offers from athletes that get injured? I don't even know Coach Webb, but I will email him personally with your findings.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.freep.com/amp/74222366

Michigan.

Basically, when a player gets injured in high school and isn’t committed; many of the SEC, BIG 10, PAC 12, & Big 12 schools are likely to pull offers.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.freep.com/amp/74222366

Michigan.

Basically, when a player gets injured in high school and isn’t committed; many of the SEC, BIG 10, PAC 12, & Big 12 schools are likely to pull offers.

I am curious if you want us to be like any of the recruiting juggernauts you listed.

I posted some additional articles that discuss the adverse effects of this practice.

https://kentuckysportsradio.com/mai...tt-satterfield-for-pulling-scholarship-offer/

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.thec...-after-pulling-offer-from-injured-player.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...carolina/usc-recruiting/article211471899.html

We don’t have to directly say what the reason is. We need only quit sending mail, quit calling, like many of the other schools do. If the athlete contacts you to commit, simply state that he no longer has an offer “due to a change of plans” like many other schools do.

We don’t have to directly say what the reason is. We need only quit sending mail, quit calling, like many of the other schools do. If the athlete contacts you to commit, simply state that he no longer has an offer “due to a change of plans” like many other schools do.

My original argument is flawed. I was referring to commitments and not offers. Once a kid commits, you can't pull that scholarship.

In the article about the kid that committed to Michigan, they were going to honor his scholarship, but not clear him medically to play. He decided to go to Western Michigan, had a catastrophic knee injury, and retired from football.

I think another thing that you have to take into consideration is the difference between hurt and injured.

We complain about BJ Foster, but I think you are looking at a very tough kid that has sacrificed his body for the team. He has probably played in games that he should have and this has prolonged his recovery.

I believe it is very possible for an athlete that has had an injury to be rehabilitated in the correct manner to significantly reduce the probability of another injury of the same kind. Trying to come back to soon increases the probability of a second injury. What if we pass on a 4 or 5 star because of an injury and they commit to another school in our conference and then are instrumental in beating us, then what would the naysayers on this board be whining about?

Reactions: HornsRuleU
My original argument is flawed. I was referring to commitments and not offers. Once a kid commits, you can't pull that scholarship.

In the article about the kid that committed to Michigan, they were going to honor his scholarship, but not clear him medically to play. He decided to go to Western Michigan, had a catastrophic knee injury, and retired from football.

I think another thing that you have to take into consideration is the difference between hurt and injured.

We complain about BJ Foster, but I think you are looking at a very tough kid that has sacrificed his body for the team. He has probably played in games that he should have and this has prolonged his recovery.

Then Foster needs to sit out, because he has been sub par. His run fits are poor. His technique is poor. And his tackling is poor. If it is because he is injured then he needs to sit, because he's been a liability.

I believe it is very possible for an athlete that has had an injury to be rehabilitated in the correct manner to significantly reduce the probability of another injury of the same kind. Trying to come back to soon increases the probability of a second injury. What if we pass on a 4 or 5 star because of an injury and they commit to another school in our conference and then are instrumental in beating us, then what would the naysayers on this board be whining about?
How many times do we hear this happening? I haven’t. I’m sure it does.

More often than not, we get beat by a kid or kids in our same conference that we did not even offer! Let’s keep recruiting injured 4 star athletes and get beat by 2 & 3 star athletes that had no injuries & no Texas offers.

I should have been more clear as well. Under no circumstances should we tell an athlete that we will no longer honor his verbal commitment because he is NOW injured. That’s not what I am advocating for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT