ADVERTISEMENT

Announcement: A heartfelt sendoff and a look ahead to the future

Originally posted by jimr6:

this hurts OB severely.
Chip will be missed, but we're in a position to go out and make a big addition. And after the interest we've received, I'm extremely confident that happens.

chip, it sucks to see you go but we don't get many opportunities in life to truly get those surreal gigs so I'm glad to see you taking that chance. you were a beast with it..unflappable to scrutiny. you'll excel no matter what bro!! good luck!!

Will you have to move from atx?
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

that is a bad move chip. I wish you the best but scout/fox sports is a poor product with the exception of their nfl coverage and Sunday morning crew.

Originally posted by PBR_StreetGang:
Yeah, so this is bullsh.

ec
My thoughts exactly.

This is a kick in the balls for OB for sure.

Congrats Chip. May the dumpsters on the other side be clean and empty. Assuming that's how you like them.

Originally posted by Ketchum:

Originally posted by atex720:

Originally posted by UTshirtfanSWT:
Ketch...I'd like to throw my hat in the ring to be part of the search committee...even if it's a S. Patterson style committee that is never consulted.
Me too. We can split the $100k
search committees get more than 100K. just saying...
Not on a site with software limitations of this one.
wink.r191677.gif

Good luck, Chip! Thanks for all your work.

My only advice to Ketch and Co.:

You don't need a big name. Orangebloods is the name. You're respected. Whoever you choose will be given that same level respect. But please hire someone who is not just passionate about football or college football coverage, but the University of Texas. I'm talking about someone (like you or Chip) who is relenteless about UT during their work hours and who still wants to hang out on the board afterwards.

I know you will have no trouble finding a talented writer who is not fully satisfied with their current situation. That's the easy part. And that's practically every newspaper reporter in the country. It may be a little harder to find someone willing to give every inch to the University of Texas and the site. I love my school, but I'm probably more critical of what we do academically, institutionally and athletically as anyone. Good luck guys. Looking forward to the hire.

Ketch bringing in someone with resume as impressive as Chip solidified OBs place atop their peers IMO. Seeing the development of the young staffers like Dustin and Taylor says a lot about the level of talent running our community which included Chip. I have little doubt that Ketch is contemplating something allsome and that Chip will continue his rise in the industry.

Good luck to Chip and Ketch & Co.

Damn. I wish you the best Chip!

Chip, you're one of the main reasons I pay the money for this site. Will def follow you where you go and check that site out. But I'll also see who OB brings in. I feel like we just lost a helluva inside source. :-/ And now we'll have to wait for a new guy to rebuild those relationships. I'm certainly willing to wait and see how that goes though.

Originally posted by sendero95:

Ketch bringing in someone with resume as impressive as Chip solidified OBs place atop their peers IMO. Seeing the development of the young staffers like Dustin and Taylor says a lot about the level of talent running our community which included Chip. I have little doubt that Ketch is contemplating something allsome and that Chip will continue his rise in the industry.

Good luck to Chip and Ketch & Co.
Well said.

We're like the Red Sox - we develop our young prospects and also attract the big free agents.

I love Chip on OB and radio and will miss him, but he's going to be on TV? Congrats, Chip.

Originally posted by stanislaus:

Chip - you were a big reason I kept my DMN subscription for so long here in Austin. Not blowing smoke - Over all the years when I opened to the sports page I would always look for Blackie's column on Sunday and your coverage on any day. Happy to have had your expertise on this site. Best wishes. Are you still going to do your radio gig on 104?
Thanks Stanislaus. Those thoughts mean a lot. Yes, I'm still doing mornings on 104.9.

Originally posted by fan49:
I hate to ask but where is Chip going?
As mentioned, he'll be with Fox/Scout and will be involved in a number of mediums, including the UT site in the Scout community.

Congrats Chip on the new gig--very excited for you and thanks for all of your great work and reads over the years.

Hook'em!

Originally posted by Moooooo:
Ketch, you ever hear of a non-compete clause?
I wasn't going to stand in the way on any level of him having this opportunity. In fact, I let him make this move with a little time left on his contract.

I would never want to step in his way of trying to make his life better and pursuing unfinished business. A lot of of attention will be placed on the web site of things, but this is a global opportunity that really interested him. If you truly love some, letting them go can sometimes be the biggest show of proof you can give.

Been following Chip since DMN days as well. This sucks but I understand the need to be closer to Charissa Thompson.

Originally posted by ChipBrown:

Originally posted by RLong68:

Not sure it's a coincidence that Chip is moving on as the last McCoy moves on.
That's a microphone dropper RLong68 ... Absolutely fitting post from the Long man. ...
cool.r191677.gif
Best of luck to you amigo. It's been fun.

Originally posted by LongAus:

John Harris and Lance Zierlein say hello.
Always loved the work those two did for us, but this is a completely different situation. with an entirely different pay-scale discussion.

Originally posted by hilltophorn:

John Harris would be an amazing hire.
Unrelated to the biggest move I have to make, but Johnny and I are in discussions about content possibilities as well.

I love his insight.

Originally posted by ngnichols:
Originally posted by PBR_StreetGang:
Yeah, so this is bullsh.

ec
My thoughts exactly.

This is a kick in the balls for OB for sure.
I'm not much for sitting around and worrying about spilled milk.

If we were never to replace Chip, it would be a huge loss. If I can close the deal as a recruiter on this end, I'm quite excited about what the new model of OB will look like.

This is a destination job in the eyes of a lot of people and I can tell you from the discussions I've had that the interest in making great money, living in Austin, covering what amounts to a pro sports team and doing so on the largest platform in the yahoo/rivals world is significant. After all, this is a gig that helped lift Chip to true stardom IMO.

Originally posted by ChipBrown:
Originally posted by stanislaus:

Chip - you were a big reason I kept my DMN subscription for so long here in Austin. Not blowing smoke - Over all the years when I opened to the sports page I would always look for Blackie's column on Sunday and your coverage on any day. Happy to have had your expertise on this site. Best wishes. Are you still going to do your radio gig on 104?
Thanks Stanislaus. Those thoughts mean a lot. Yes, I'm still doing mornings on 104.9.
Ironically, we might soon be working together on the radio side more than ever. What a world, huh?

Chip is the best part about OB, I'll really miss him. Thank goodness Chip will still be on the radio in Austin on 104.9. Agreed on no Lance Z under any circumstances.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT