ADVERTISEMENT

Annual Offseason Thread of Firearms

Ok guys, I'm in the market. An incident at my house yesterday (I'll go into more details later) and in the neighborhood has prompted me to pursue a firearm. I'll be visiting an Academy today to check out their products. Again, I'm not an enthusiast, but am ready to own.
Thinking of the .22 DHH suggested but also seeing a
Ruger Security-9 9mm Luger Semiautomatic Pistol
$299.99 or a
Taurus G3C 9mm Pistol
$279.99
Thoughts?

At home, it's a 12 gauge. Use buckshot. On the road, that five seven S&W that Clob talked about sounded nice. Very little recoil. It may be too large though. I believe they make one with a .22 interchangeable barrel. I've seen demos that show it being good a long ranges... so that and a .22 rifle may be a good combo. I am far from an expert.

The 5.7 S&W is a good one. It’s a larger frame than a standard C/C option. However, the low recoil, high capacity, and absolute devastation the round does is hard to beat but it’s also not something I would recommend for a beginner.
Since you’re not familiar with guns (I’m assuming that based on some of your comments), I’d recommend spending a couple of hours at a range shooting different options. Keep in mind you’re going to want something that is fairly simple to operate in a high stress situation. Believe it or not, I’ve known 2 guys that had to deploy a firearm in an incident and both of them locked up and couldn’t work the slide on their side arm. Adrenaline does crazy things to people that don’t put in enough work for muscle memory to kick in. Both guys lucked out in the fact that neither one had to discharge rounds but that is not something I would like to rely on.
With all that in mind, I’d suggest a revolver. A 38 / 357 is a good option because of simplicity and cartridge options.
Whatever you decide on, practice. And practice specific scenarios.

Ok guys, I'm in the market. An incident at my house yesterday (I'll go into more details later) and in the neighborhood has prompted me to pursue a firearm. I'll be visiting an Academy today to check out their products. Again, I'm not an enthusiast, but am ready to own.
Thinking of the .22 DHH suggested but also seeing a
Ruger Security-9 9mm Luger Semiautomatic Pistol
$299.99 or a
Taurus G3C 9mm Pistol
$279.99
Thoughts?
Ok Astro--

Few things we need to know.
1. Are you OK?
2. What happened?
3. How's your hand and wrist strength? Can you still open pickle jars with ease? If not, you need to go with something that is easy to chamber.... unless you're going to walk around with a round chambered.
The S&W 380 EZ is the easiest weapon to charge that I've ever picked up. You can rack that thing on your cheek. Literally. Plus, 380 bullet tech has become VERY nasty. Those rounds will fvck someone up regardless of where you hit them.

You need to consider a few things:
A. Weapon size.
B. Ease of use.
C. Safety or no safety.
D. Stopping power.
E. Accuracy (should be #1)

The catch all is the Glock 26. 10 rounds and 1 in the pipe.

new gun owner?....consider the Defender. I dont remember who makes it, but it is a wheel gun that has alternating .45 cal and special loaded 410 loads...the 410 loads have 3 metal disks and maybe BB or buckshot in the same case. It is like shooting shrapnel...That makes it easier to hit something.

I would bet that almost all home invasions where the home owner defended his ground did not last over one or two shots, and accuracy by either party would be ....uh...crappy at best. Ask Fresh. I think he would tell you that shooting at someone who is shooting back takes that "aim and squeeze" to a whole different level. You have to have rigorous training to do that well. It is a proven military fact that only about 10% of soldiers on either side are actually aiming at what they are shooting at.....in other words....I doubt magzine capacity ever comes into question.

Ok Astro--

1. Are you OK?
2. What happened?
3. How's your hand and wrist strength? Can you still open pickle jars with ease? If not, you need to go with something that is easy to chamber.... unless you're going to walk around with a round chambered.
The S&W 380 EZ is the easiest weapon to charge that I've ever picked up. You can rack that thing on your cheek. Literally. Plus, 380 bullet tech has become VERY nasty. Those rounds will fvck someone up regardless of where you hit them.

A. Weapon size.
B. Ease of use.
C. Safety or no safety.
D. Stopping power.

Thanks Clob-To answer your questions first-
Yes, we are good. It was scary. Adrenaline didn't come down for a couple hours.

What happened? Here is the text I sent to neighbors right after it happened:

"Hey guys there is an African American going door to door and he handed my a plastic flyer. I asked if he was selling magazines. He said no, it's a contest. I said no thank you and tried to hand it back to him, he wouldn't take it. I tried 2 more times and he refused to take it back. I then placed it at his feet. My dogs are barking crazy. I then tried to close my door. He then put his foot in my door and wouldn't allow me to close it. I said I would call the police and he called me and my dog a bitch and still didn't remove his foot. I opened the door wide and said get him Bruce. Bruce cowards because he thought I was yelling at him. Heads up. Don't answer your door."

We got a picture of him down the street getting into a suv, it had no front plate and back plate was out of state. Another neighbor said he saw an suv dropping off two guys at the front of the neighborhood. It was a scam they were running. We called 911 and reported it. My wife went to a retired APD house and he said to call 911 back and tell them the make of the car. They said they had been receiving multiple calls about it and sending a squad car out. The neighborhood FB page also was getting hit with others experiencing the same.

Question #3: My wrist are good. Left hand good, because, well, you know, years of experience :). Right wrist is good as I was a state high school tennis player. I'm not as old as you may think (turn 60 this year).

I have a brother in law who lives 2 miles from me and he is a gun enthusiast. He's got an arsenal. Single doctor, never been married so has income to collect. I went to Academy and reviewed their product. I was somewhat overwhelmed so went by his house for a lesson on what I should get. He showed me a .45 and I asked about just a .22. He said that would hurt a person, but not stop them unless a shot to basically the head. He recommended a 45 or a 9mm.

Next weekend we are going back to Academy to find something both the wife and me can handle and start shooting lessons at a local range.

Like Etlong mentioned, he also said it comes down to "muscle memory", so there will be much time on that.

Damn Astro. I’m sure glad it turned out ok. My everyday carry is a Colt Defender in 45 ACP so I understand your BIL’s recommendation but I would add a couple of caveats. First, a 22 Mag can get nasty pretty quick. As Clob mentioned, the 380 has some bullet options that make it a heavy hitter now as well. The bottom line is that whatever you pick caliber wise, it needs to be something you and the wife are comfortable with handling and shooting. That might actually end up being 2 different weapons due to hand size, recoil aversion, etc.

Reactions: Oldmanastro
Dude, a simple pump shotgun with buckshot. It's my go to when answering the door. It's a cheap Remington 870 Express. I use it for hunting but when it's not being used for hunting the plug is removed. I answer the door with it in hand.

I find that from politicians to door to door salesmen, when they see the gun they are anxious to end the conversation. I have a glass storm door. I leave it closed. If they go for the handle of the glass door, the muzzle goes in their direction.

Last edited:
Although I do like the idea of .410 bore handgun for home defense, I highly recommend going the .380 or 9mm route to start. Ammo can reasonably be bought anywhere that has an ammo section, recoil is minimal, & whatever you hit is going to know it immediately.

In close quarters home invasion scenarios, you will not get the spread benefit of a shotgun and if the distance is actually great enough for a .410 to spread, you have little more stopping power than a pump bb gun. Shoot slugs you say? Not worth the hassle of a GIANT .410 handgun.

Get your brother to take you shooting multiple calibers and styles. Whichever feels comfortable in your hands is what you should consider.

Practice how you'd have to shoot with no prep time. Both eyes open, front + rear sights blended at center mass, 2 pull & reset. There is no taking time to line up perfectly for a pretty shot group.

Once you find something you decide to use, I HIGHLY recommend to purchase a https://mantisx.com/ so you can practice in home. I promise it will make you a substantially better shooter and save you time & money.

Good call Fresh on the MantisX system. I didn’t even think about that for him.
I had completely forgotten about that. Placing my order tonight.

You should ask Fresh if he ever wants to play paintball with simunition. Bring your checkbook and hydrocodone.

Man, I’m not sure I want to play simulation games with a guy like Fresh. It’s a small step from simulator to flash back. It’s all fun and games until the SpecOps guy goes off the reservation.

I had completely forgotten about that. Placing my order tonight.

You should ask Fresh if he ever wants to play paintball with simunition. Bring your checkbook and hydrocodone.
Man I don't care what anyone says, those suckers huuuuuurt.
Imagine showing up to an actual paintball course and busting out your m4 with a mounted m203 and pouch full simunition mags. Straight to the clink, do not pass go or collect $200.

Reactions: freeper
Man, I’m not sure I want to play simulation games with a guy like Fresh. It’s a small step from simulator to flash back. It’s all fun and games until the SpecOps guy goes off the reservation.
86052248.jpg

The debate about what caliber to use in close quarters is overblown and is personal preference like others have said. Realistically, if someone breaks into your house and you start firing off ANY gun at them the average robber is going to jump through his skin trying to get out of there as fast as they can. I guarantee you they won't want to hang around and see what caliber gun you have. If the shots are placed well it won't matter either way, if you miss or wound they're going to be hauling butt out of there and you still defended your home.

Reactions: oldhorn2
Ok Astro--

1. Are you OK?
2. What happened?

A. Weapon size.
B. Ease of use.
C. Safety or no safety.
D. Stopping power.

I got a 380 EZ for my wife. It's larger than my M&P compact, shooting a smaller cartridge. But she can work it. For you, I'd look at the SIG 365 if I was starting from scratch. I like modifying, I put night sights and an after market trigger on mine. I can put 7 into a dinner plate at 25 yards.

Reactions: Oldmanastro
I got a 380 EZ for my wife. It's larger than my M&P compact, shooting a smaller cartridge. But she can work it. For you, I'd look at the SIG 365 if I was starting from scratch. I like modifying, I put night sights and an after market trigger on mine. I can put 7 into a dinner plate at 25 yards.
I've heard a lot of good things about the 365 as well as a few cons. Have you had a broken firing pin or any issue with striker drag with yours?
I want one but am wondering if they've worked out the kinks yet.

Man I don't care what anyone says, those suckers huuuuuurt.
Imagine showing up to an actual paintball course and busting out your m4 with a mounted m203 and pouch full simunition mags. Straight to the clink, do not pass go or collect $200.
I never told you about my experience.... or maybe I posted it here.... I've forgotten.
Anyway-- back in the day-- I was on a board of a small but well manned outfit. Being by far the youngest board member, I begged and begged those guysbfor months to let me shoot with them. After I passed their initial scrutiny and they realized I wasn't a barrel down at all times tard, I got to start hanging with them. Someone on the board suggested we put them through a wax bullet CQB session and one of the crew said "F that- let's do simunition". Not realizing the cost associated or the fact we needed special adapters for each weapon, the board voted yes-- and away we went.
Needless to say I got to go and during a fvck around session, I found out. Turns out, as a righty who switched to left handed, when you pie a corner to your right, you SHOULD not let your left thigh stick out from the shelter of the corner itself. Because when you do, the tango at the end of the hallway will shoot you right in the meaty part of your inner left thigh...... and it will make a smacking sound like a wet hand on a side of beef. And it will hurt, VERY badly. And you will get laughed at for being stupid. And you will feel stupid. And it will swell up. And it will make a bruise the size of a cantaloupe. And you'll hear about it every time you come in contact with the witnesses of the event-- for ever.

Reactions: freeper and DHHorn
Yeah.....I do not miss the annual simunition training.....took plenty of rounds over the years. Definitely made your situational awareness improve.....

Yeah.....I do not miss the annual simunition training.....took plenty of rounds over the years. Definitely made your situational awareness improve.....
Prior to my session, I quietly asked one of the guys what being hit by one felt like.

His response- "Awww it's a good tingle".

I've heard a lot of good things about the 365 as well as a few cons. Have you had a broken firing pin or any issue with striker drag with yours?
I want one but am wondering if they've worked out the kinks yet.
My carry is a M&P compact. My local gunsmith says that he has NEVER seen one for repair. I suggested the SIG because it seems to be widely available and well thought of.

My carry is a M&P compact. My local gunsmith says that he has NEVER seen one for repair. I suggested the SIG because it seems to be widely available and well thought of.
This pretty much sums it up.....

The M&P fits my hand better. Have you found the new magnetic holsters? JM4,works really well.
I get it. Personal preference. I feel bad for guys like @freeper that used to be cops and had to carry around those unwieldy single action walker colt wheel revolvers back in the day. Must have been difficult reloading one ball at a time.
He didn't have a choice what he got to carry.

I get it. Personal preference. I feel bad for guys like @freeper that used to be cops and had to carry around those unwieldy single action walker colt wheel revolvers back in the day. Must have been difficult reloading one ball at a time.
He didn't have a choice what he got to carry.
at least he had 6 shots with it. That Springfield 1903 must have really sucked in a riot.

My 12 yo son brought home the flu a couple days ago. Guess who has it now. I hate the flu. Temp went to 104, ughh

My 12 yo son brought home the flu a couple days ago. Guess who has it now. I hate the flu. Temp went to 104, ughh
104? That means you killed about 2 billion brain cells.
Now you have to be an aggy fan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT