ADVERTISEMENT

Brennan Eagles Weighs In

I find organizations like Black Lives Matter rather hypocritical. If they care so much about Black lives, then they should be going after the main causes behind the loss of Black lives.
Floyd.

Just wanted to clarify that I do not care for most such politically motivated organizations - whether it is BLM , or NRA or most things left or right. My comment was not intended to single out the BLM. That was just an example in this context...

Anyone interested in understanding the view point of systemic racism in America and the socialization we have all experienced I would encourage you to watch this video. It is a 20 minute video that summarizes some of the key points in a 6 hour audio book so it is just scratching the surface. You may not agree but it would at least allow some understanding of where others are coming from.

Nah he’s getting flack because he’s black. I remember one other black UT athlete last year or possibly year before writing a letter and he got flack on here too. Let’s just admit this forum is very conservative. I see it in post all the time been here long enough to read between the lines. You’re only lying to yourself guys.
I sincerely disagree. Remember when the kid from Wimberley, Buck something or another, made stupid and selfish comments on social media about the Obama election? That kid caught flack and deserved every bit of it. This isn't a black or white thing. It isn't a conservative or liberal thing. This is a burnt orange thing. You're either committed to this team and this university, despite the distractions around you, or you're not.

I sincerely disagree. Remember when the kid from Wimberley, Buck something or another, made stupid and selfish comments on social media about the Obama election? That kid caught flack and deserved every bit of it. This isn't a black or white thing. It isn't a conservative or liberal thing. This is a burnt orange thing. You're either committed to this team and this university, despite the distractions around you, or you're not.
Buck Burnette used a racial slur and made threats to kill the president. I think he even got heat from a federal level due to that. Not just stupid and selfish. https://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/sports/2008-11-07/699807/

One of my good buddies in college went to school, Wimberly, with Buck. I met him a few times around the dorms.

Back to Eagles, I would still hesitate to comment on his commitment to the team. Time will tell what the meaning behind the tweet is but I think it's a stretch at this point to say he has done anything that has hurt the team in any way.

Reactions: StrangerHorn
Buck Burnette used a racial slur and made threats to kill the president. I think he even got heat from a federal level due to that. Not just stupid and selfish. https://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/sports/2008-11-07/699807/

One of my good buddies in college went to school, Wimberly, with Buck. I met him a few times around the dorms.

Back to Eagles, I would still hesitate to comment on his commitment to the team. Time will tell what the meaning behind the tweet is but I think it's a stretch at this point to say he has done anything that has hurt the team in any way.

Maybe he said to much to take back!

Anyone interested in understanding the view point of systemic racism in America and the socialization we have all experienced I would encourage you to watch this video. It is a 20 minute video that summarizes some of the key points in a 6 hour audio book so it is just scratching the surface. You may not agree but it would at least allow some understanding of where others are coming from.

I certainly don't agree but I understand why people believe this nonsense.

There is an old expression that a lie that is told three times and not refuted becomes fact. White privilege assertions is that lie.

While there has been discrimination and slavery in our nation’s past, privilege exists only for the elite in academia, public sector labor unions, politics and government regardless of their race.

If our nation ever hopes to solve the problem of race relations, we must solve the problems of poverty, economic opportunity and access to quality education. Claiming the issue is just about race perpetuates poverty, poor educational opportunities and substandard economic opportunities for those who are poor – regardless of race. Prior to the pandemic, black and brown and white unemployment was the lowest it has been in our nation's history. This nation has lifted more people out of poverty from all races than any other nation in the history of the planet. Since Trump was elected in 2016 (and I'm not a big fan of Trump as a person), there has been more jobs and business opportunities for minorities than at any time in our nation's history, including Obama's administration. But that result is not what the liberal and privileged elites desire because it diminishes their power grip over those that are supposedly "oppressed".

For the vast majority of people who struggle in this nation, whites are struggling as much as any other people of color. Only in academia, public sector labor unions and politics is there any privilege.

Reactions: westx and freeper
Heres the thing Bell, they don't get treated the same. You probably don't realize it but they face racism that you don't. It may be more subtle than what you think of as racism but it is there.
Let me ask this then. What on earth do these people rioting expect to get accomplished out of these riots? Are they wanting some kind of absurd laws passed? Do they just like looting and stealing?

Reactions: StrangerHorn
In a cartoon designed for children it felt like a pretty strong message: strive to be the smarter person in a conflict as that's who prevails more often than not. I understand that we no longer live in the 1940s and that times change, but it feels like these lessons might be more important now than ever. I really loved these cartoons as a kid. No privilege, no virtue signaling....in all my years of watching cartoons I've never once wanted to emulate the idiot hunter who constantly got his pants pulled down by a wise-cracking rabbit.

In a cartoon designed for children it felt like a pretty strong message: strive to be the smarter person in a conflict as that's who prevails more often than not. I understand that we no longer live in the 1940s and that times change, but it feels like these lessons might be more important now than ever. I really loved these cartoons as a kid. No privilege, no virtue signaling....in all my years of watching cartoons I've never once wanted to emulate the idiot hunter who constantly got his pants pulled down by a wise-cracking rabbit.

Things do change since then, different people, different ideas,now it money, Oil, Computers, Cell phones..half of the kids in America don't know what a dial phone is hanging on kitchen wall, or having 2 channels on Tv and no A/C, I am at fault at this as I gave my sons everything due to the fact I had nothing growing up and wanted them not to struggle as I did, that was a mistake, they should throw every damn cell phone in the ocean, I gotta sign in my hallway just for my Grandkids and Sons that says check your Cell phones in with Grandma, can't have a family dinner with everyone punching on them damn phones...Progress has runined America lifestyle about being family I think,,when Oil becomes more important than family, I would just as soon ride a horse...

Ever read Mein Kampf? Justication for the repression of others based on race is evil. It's been tried before.

Reactions: Drtxhorn
Anyone notice that Morgan Scalley, DC for Utah and I believe our first choice to replace Orlando, is now suspended, for using a racial slur in 2013. Dodged a bullet there.

Anyone else notice how you could get thrown in jail for going to church and not social distancing but you can loot, steal, mass protest, not social distance and face no repercussions? Anyone else ready to admit the coronavirus shutdown was a total joke? I'll hang up and listen. This world is full of hypocrites.

I am absolutely in love with Candice Owens. She actually might be the mythical Unicorn I've been looking for all my life. Of course I'm referring to the Beauty/Crazy scale for women.

On scales of 1 to 10, her beauty is on a 9.5 level. Her crazy meter is on a 2 or 3. My lord she is almost perfect.

I feel like a better person just for watching her.

I absolutely admire any black person that doesn't fall in step with the narrative put out by the DNC. They have much more to lose than just politics, they are going against the narrative followed by the culture of Black America. She has hung a label around her neck and people remember these labels. The same with any conservative thinking black person.

She is a hero to me, because I know other black people who feel exactly like she does, but fear the mob so they stay in step with black America and don't speak out openly. They don't speak out because they have too much to lose if they do. Good people, but they are not heroes. She is a hero. She is my definition of WOKE!!!!

Let me ask this then. What on earth do these people rioting expect to get accomplished out of these riots? Are they wanting some kind of absurd laws passed? Do they just like looting and stealing?

They think it's a good idea to abolish the police force. Yeah, that will work out well for everyone. Idiots.

Bad cops are a problem. Most of the bad ones have a rap sheet of complaints. They can't be fired because of the public sector police unions. The left has created a never ending cycle of stupid. The dude that killed Floyd had 18 complaints against him but was denied termination because his union backed him up. Big government is broken. How about this, get rid of the police union and fire cops with too many complaints. No rioting needed. My invoice is in the mail.

Bad cops are a problem. Most of the bad ones have a rap sheet of complaints. They can't be fired because of the public sector police unions. The left has created a never ending cycle of stupid. The dude that killed Floyd had 18 complaints against him but was denied termination because his union backed him up. Big government is broken. How about this, get rid of the police union and fire cops with too many complaints. No rioting needed. My invoice is in the mail.

Then who ya gonna get to help the Public on crime? GhostBusters? Maybe a national Police force would be the answer, but then, you could find something wrong there also, be too much a military issue like, there is a lotta great Police officers out there, just not enough, the problem is anyone can file a complaint regardless if its true or not and thats a hazard to the Officer to even try to work if ya gotta defend your self from criminals and the public...who knows the answer, maybe go back to the old west style law and take care of your own biz...

Then who ya gonna get to help the Public on crime? GhostBusters? Maybe a national Police force would be the answer, but then, you could find something wrong there also, be too much a military issue like, there is a lotta great Police officers out there, just not enough, the problem is anyone can file a complaint regardless if its true or not and thats a hazard to the Officer to even try to work if ya gotta defend your self from criminals and the public...who knows the answer, maybe go back to the old west style law and take care of your own biz...

Well Stranger, the way it's going now isn't working either.

We need to hold cops accountable, but we can't keep cops accountable. What the hell kind of sense does that make?

I would say that a cop with more than a handful of complaints is a problem and there isn't some conspiracy to load up the filing department.

Reactions: Drtxhorn
Call it systemic racism or whatever, there are parts of the country where racism is rampant. There are parts where it isn't. Ignoring it won't make it better for anyone. Being the "yeah, but" person won't help either. It takes very little effort to listen and ask legitimate questions of concerns that are brought up.

We have no idea the amount of groups that infiltrated the protests and sparked the riots and looting. But I'd bet good money there were plenty of them.

I don't agree with everything these protesters are clamoring for, but you damn well better believe I support their right to assemble and protest. And again I find it ironic that the "don't believe the MSM and their propaganda" crowd are many of the same ones that believe the MSM propaganda in regards to the protesting/movement.

Seems to me we could find a middle ground here. How about an international police force and adopting the nuts and bolts of sharia law as a starting point?

I see three different things happening here, somewhat on a continuum.

Peaceful Protesting - what the majority are currently doing. Large gatherings or marches so proclaim a message. Problem is, this is easy to ignore, gloss over, or say, oh that's nice.

Rioting - protesting where things get a little more physical. There may be violence by cops against protesters and visa versa. Collateral damage to buildings or cars. Often causes more people to seriously take notice and historically has been required for major change to occur (see Civil Rights era and the civil rights act that came only after rioting.

Looting - a crime of opportunity when the above rioting is taking place. It isn't an action looking for change or the greater good, just a self serving action. It has no place in all of this and is taking away from the overall message.

Unfortunately, it seems that rioting and looting is being instigated by all parties involved - white supremacists who want to distract from the cause, people of color and whites seeing the opportunity to get "stuff", police who are tipping protests into violence by using unnecessary force against peaceful participants.

Ever read Mein Kampf? Justication for the repression of others based on race is evil. It's been tried before.
I haven't read it, I'm sure it is an interesting perspective and a good study of things to avoid.

The repression of others we still see in this country is less explicit than the Nazi regimen which makes it harder to identify and easier to justify.

I see three different things happening here, somewhat on a continuum.

Peaceful Protesting - what the majority are currently doing. Large gatherings or marches so proclaim a message. Problem is, this is easy to ignore, gloss over, or say, oh that's nice.

Rioting - protesting where things get a little more physical. There may be violence by cops against protesters and visa versa. Collateral damage to buildings or cars. Often causes more people to seriously take notice and historically has been required for major change to occur (see Civil Rights era and the civil rights act that came only after rioting.

Looting - a crime of opportunity when the above rioting is taking place. It isn't an action looking for change or the greater good, just a self serving action. It has no place in all of this and is taking away from the overall message.

Unfortunately, it seems that rioting and looting is being instigated by all parties involved - white supremacists who want to distract from the cause, people of color and whites seeing the opportunity to get "stuff", police who are tipping protests into violence by using unnecessary force against peaceful participants.

Collateral damage. Good word. I've used that. The world has long been a violent place, specifically those who want radical change, or those that wish to keep their authoritarian shackles on its citizens.

Thankfully we're not seeing either of those things currently, lol.

Collateral damage. Good word. I've used that. The world has long been a violent place, specifically those who want radical change, or those that wish to keep their authoritarian shackles on its citizens.

Thankfully we're not seeing either of those things currently, lol.

These riots were less about Mr. Floyd and more about general poverty. It's going to get worse before it gets better. The pie is shrinking atm and everyone wants a piece. Expect more and worse unrest.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT