ADVERTISEMENT

CFB Playoffs

I hate this more than anybody, but this never would have happened if those numbskulls would have increased the playoff teams sooner. My setup was that my first 3 seeds are P5 teams that would end up with zero losses, which makes it an almost certainty they are in. This would leave a potential dilemma for the 4th spot. This happened to Texas in 2008 with the head to head victory over ou meaning diddly squat. I am not in favor of any of this, but it is worth thinking through because it has a decent chance of happening.

Pros for Texas:
Texas would be 12-1, B12 Champs and a head to head victory over bama.

Pros for Bama:
Bama would be 12-1, SEC Champs

I think Bama would get the nod because:
*They would theoretically have a 4-1 record over current ranked teams vs Texas's 2-1.
*They are closing the season very strong with convincing wins/scores over the current ranked teams.
If Bama wins out and Texas wins out, and Bama gets in and Texas does not- then the committee has lost all credibility.
We didn't just beat Bama. We beat their ass. At their home. Worse than anyone has in over a decade and a half.

Reactions: freeper
Not a chance in hell a 12-1 Bama gets in over a 12-1 Texas. We beat them by double digits at their place. That's the one thing they are going to look at. Bama has had some very close games with some bad teams (USF, Arkansas, and A&M). In our 8 wins the average margin of victory is 20 points.

Ok, let's say Washington, FloridaSt, and OSU/Mich winner all run the table, win conference title game, and finish 13-0. They take the top 3 spots no issue there.

If we win, and 11-1 Bama beats 12-0 UGA, that leaves Texas/Bama/Georgia all at 12-1. If two 12-1 SEC teams are passed up for us, there will be riots across the conference. The SEC has never been excluded from the playoffs, and many years got 2 of 4 spots. Sure we beat Bama, but we would have the weakest loss (thanks OU) between UT/Bama/UGA. That would be their argument.

Sark will have to publicly campaign like hell (like Mack Brown in 2004 for a BCS bowl) for that 4th spot. Heck, Saban did last year, and nearly got 2-loss Bama in.

Ok, let's say Washington, FloridaSt, and OSU/Mich winner all run the table, win conference title game, and finish 13-0. They take the top 3 spots no issue there.

If we win, and 11-1 Bama beats 12-0 UGA, that leaves Texas/Bama/Georgia all at 12-1. If two 12-1 SEC teams are passed up for us, there will be riots across the conference. The SEC has never been excluded from the playoffs, and many years got 2 of 4 spots. Sure we beat Bama, but we would have the weakest loss (thanks OU) between UT/Bama/UGA. That would be their argument.

Sark will have to publicly campaign like hell (like Mack Brown in 2004 for a BCS bowl) for that 4th spot. Heck, Saban did last year, and nearly got 2-loss Bama in.
If they do that then takes all credibility out of playing good teams in your out of conference schedule. Head to head has to mean something when you're comparing 2 teams. And as far as the SEC thing, this is the weakest I have seen the conference in a very long time.

I think it's all going to work itself out in the long run. I see there being 2 undefeated teams when it's all said and done. OSU/Michigan and Georgia are the 2 i'm predicting. Washington and FSU still have some tough matchups left in the next few weeks. Would be really surprised if they both run the table. Both have looked very vulnerable the last 3 games.

If they do that then takes all credibility out of playing good teams in your out of conference schedule. Head to head has to mean something when you're comparing 2 teams. And as far as the SEC thing, this is the weakest I have seen the conference in a very long time.

I think it's all going to work itself out in the long run. I see there being 2 undefeated teams when it's all said and done. OSU/Michigan and Georgia are the 2 i'm predicting. Washington and FSU still have some tough matchups left in the next few weeks. Would be really surprised if they both run the table. Both have looked very vulnerable the last 3 games.
Oregon has 1 loss and is currently ranked ahead of UT.

Oregon has 1 loss and is currently ranked ahead of UT.
And their best win is over a 2 loss Utah team so I don't think they should be ahead of Texas honestly. They still have USC and Oregon State left on their schedule and then would have to win the conference championship over possibly Washington who has already beat them. The Pac 12 could end up having a 2 loss conference champion after it's said and done.

It's all going to work itself out by the end of the season. I don't see more than 2 teams finishing undefeated. If Texas wins out and wins the conference championship I think they are almost guaranteed a spot in the playoff.

And their best win is over a 2 loss Utah team so I don't think they should be ahead of Texas honestly. They still have USC and Oregon State left on their schedule and then would have to win the conference championship over possibly Washington who has already beat them. The Pac 12 could end up having a 2 loss conference champion after it's said and done.

It's all going to work itself out by the end of the season. I don't see more than 2 teams finishing undefeated. If Texas wins out and wins the conference championship I think they are almost guaranteed a spot in the playoff.
I agree. However, the national douchebags don't see football the way we do. Every time I hear some idiot talk about Texas 'wins' over opponents, they say we have 1 win over ranked teams which is not true. Kansas and Kansas St were ranked when we played them.

Reactions: oldhorn2

Hey, I'm on your side, but --- if Oregon wins out, they will beat an undefeated/top 5 Washington team. If Oregon is ahead now, and plays a tougher schedule the rest of the way - how is UT going to jump them?

Hey, I'm on your side, but --- if Oregon wins out, they will beat an undefeated/top 5 Washington team. If Oregon is ahead now, and plays a tougher schedule the rest of the way - how is UT going to jump them?
It's all about style points. We were up big against Houston and K St.. We needed to blow those teams out to keep Oregon at bay. I hate style points. I hate the beauty contest that has always been college football. Let the outcome be decided on the field. TCU would never have been invited to the NC game had they not won their way into it.

Reactions: diadevic
It's all about style points. We were up big against Houston and K St.. We needed to blow those teams out to keep Oregon at bay. I hate style points. I hate the beauty contest that has always been college football. Let the outcome be decided on the field. TCU would never have been invited to the NC game had they not won their way into it.
I agree 100%. UT needs to score 50 in the next 3 games.

I've never recovered from the TCU/Baylor debacle a decade ago. Baylor beat TCU head to head. But the TCU argument -- made by non TCU media - was that TCU's loss was better than Baylor's loss. Go figure.
That was a shame for both schools. But if they had a Big XII title game the winner would have been in the playoffs. That season the TCU/Baylor was the best game in the country and a title game would have been classic. The Big XII is to blame for that.

I guess I will say it: Oregon looks really good, and their loss is better than our loss right now. Doesn’t mean we can’t end up ahead of them, but sadly our loss to OU looks shittier by the week, and we didn’t cloak ourselves in glory with Quinn out against Houston and K State. We need Bama, OU, K State, and Kansas to all finish strong, and for Okie Lite to be borderline top 10 when we beat them in the CCG.

Reactions: westx
I guess I will say it: Oregon looks really good, and their loss is better than our loss right now. Doesn’t mean we can’t end up ahead of them, but sadly our loss to OU looks shittier by the week, and we didn’t cloak ourselves in glory with Quinn out against Houston and K State. We need Bama, OU, K State, and Kansas to all finish strong, and for Okie Lite to be borderline top 10 when we beat them in the CCG.
All true, but if I am being honest, I prefer blowu to lose out and the hell with whatever happens to us. I want to see Texas, for once in an eternity, man up and take car of business and control its own destiny.

The might be something to that.

Oklahoma should win out
Alabama should win out also
Oklahoma State will DEFINITELY win out seen their remaining schedule?
Kansas could be 9/3
So could Kansas State and their matchup next week against Kansas will be interesting.

Was reading since blowu had been losing there is no chance for a big 12 team to make the playoffs just cause they had beaten us they held all the marbles for the conference at that time.

Was reading since blowu had been losing there is no chance for a big 12 team to make the playoffs just cause they had beaten us they held all the marbles for the conference at that time.
Meh not true. If Ok st stays winning by the big 12 championship they will be a top 10 team if not close. Win that game and you're in

Like I said, Oregon should not be ahead of Texas right now anyways. Look at these numbers. Texas has the better resume right now.

Reactions: diadevic
Ohio state has a lot of talent, but they aren’t exactly rolling people. And Maalik wouldn’t be at QB in that game.
I actually like this Ohio State squad better than their last 2 or 3 teams as this one doesn't have the explosive offense but their defense - for a change - is really rock solid.....Maybe top 2 or 3 in the country.

Reactions: outhereincali
Oregon putting it on SC right now. We will see if it holds. Rankings will probably be

1. UGA
2. OSU
3. UM
4. FSU
5. Washington
6. Oregon
7. Bama
8. Texas

No clue about 9 or 10. Louisville, Mizzou, Oregon State?

Oregon putting it on SC right now. We will see if it holds. Rankings will probably be

1. UGA
2. OSU
3. UM
4. FSU
5. Washington
6. Oregon
7. Bama
8. Texas

half of those teams will lose a game before the playoff. If Texas wins out, they’re in.

1. UGA
2. OSU
3. UM
4. FSU
5. Washington
6. Oregon
7. Bama
8. Texas

I'm thinking Louisville 9th and Missouri 10th. You know Missouri has a nice team this year.

1. UGA
2. OSU
3. UM
4. FSU
5. Washington
6. Oregon
7. Bama
8. Texas

Why does Al jump Tx?

Texas if they win out does not make the playoffs. Style points are gonna hurt Texas. I am so confused as to why Sark goes away from the run game. He puts too much on the defense and expects them to keep the offense in the game. Can someone tell me why he goes away from the run game?

Bama will jump us in the rankings this weekend. Our inability to put away bad teams is gonna hurt us if we win out.

Our inability to put away bad teams will keep us from winning out. If we let ISU or Tech hang around, one of them will get us. Ask Kansas how that worked out yesterday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT