ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Beard to Texas

68-48 final. Nice win. It was a struggle to hit the 60 point mark. Not great. Defense is great but gotta out more points up. You just can’t rely solely on holding good teams down every night.

As Bill Parcells once said - Defense travels. Shooters will have an off night every now and then, Defense shows every game.
No question, and I’m not saying good defense isn’t important, but the coaches like Beard, Tony Bennett and others who play defense seemingly at the expense of offense that isn’t a great recipe. You have to be able to score points especially in todays game

beard and tony bennett played each other in the national championship game 2 tourneys ago... and baylor won the whole thing LAST YEAR by completely wrecking the offensive juggernaut of the year. and do you think kelvin sampson had hoston in the final four with their offense or defense??? you do know that college and the nba are 2 different animals, right? like, they're playing the same game only peripherally.

No question, and I’m not saying good defense isn’t important, but the coaches like Beard, Tony Bennett and others who play defense seemingly at the expense of offense that isn’t a great recipe. You have to be able to score points especially in todays game
I beg to differ. The saying “defense wins championships” still rings true in college basketball.

Reactions: diadevic
You mean national championship winning coach Tony Bennett? You seem to be arguing that anything less than a national title is a failure, then you point to Bennett as a guy who plays the wrong way. HE WON A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP AT A SCHOOL WHOSE ONLY BASKETBALL CLAIM TO FAME WAS RALPH SAMPSON ALMOST 40 YEARS AGO!! Now I know why top flight coaches DON'T want to come to Texas. Ridiculous point. To quote you - "take the L".

Meanwhile, the team leading power house Incarnate Word by 40 with 6 minutes left in 2nd half.

Nice to see the offense come alive a little bit tonight. Albeit against a pretty bad team but hopefully it’s a start of the team gelling 60 points a night ain’t gonna win in the big 12

Now the real season begins this Saturday. Open with WVU in Big 12 play. They have a couple guards who can really play so we have to stay in front of them and be locked in for 40 minutes. Allen needs to play more on the wing initiating the offense. He's a great passer, rebounder and wing defender. Mitchell and Disu need to be our main guys to get buckets. They're the only two guys who have natural scoring ability. Our shooters are good but not great. Jones, Ramey and Febres have to be set up by a playmaking guard or wing in order for them to get a good shot. Carr can get the job done but he needs to be more consistent and trust his shot and passing ability. He can score too but he looks too hesitant sometimes. He has to stay aggressive. Our motion offense will find the open shooters. They have to keep moving the ball and be decisive in order for it to work. If they hold the ball for more than 3 seconds the motion concept falls apart. Mastering the motion offense takes time playing together...a lot of time.

Our defense and depth will keep us in a lot of games. We're going to be better as we go through conference play. I'm looking at us finishing in the top 3-5 teams in conference right now with about a 4-5 seed in the tournament. Baylor, KU and Iowa St are the cream of the Big 12 right now. We're right behind that group and if we stay healthy and continue to improve we could surprise some people.

Incarnate word is not the best of basketball teams.
Yep and that's an understatement. However, FWIW this same UIW team was beaten by Purdue 79-59. We beat them 78-33. This probably doesn't say anything about our team but it's interesting that Purdue was ranked #1 earlier this season.

Defense looking very strong. Up 17 at the half. We have the number 1 overall defense among all Division 1 teams. We've been beating up on a bunch of cupcakes and WVU is missing a couple of key players so the stats may be inflated. Nevertheless they still have been executing their defensive principles consistently all season. Notice that every possession results in a contested shot. Even against Gonzaga we contested about 90% of their shots. Good offensive teams with great shot makers are going to score against tough defenses. Nothing can be done about that. What I like about this team is they contest every shot and they don't allow any easy fast break points. That alone will allow you to stay in most games. We may not overwhelm teams with high scoring up and down play but they're going to make you work for every shot you try to take.

All we lack are one two go to guys on the offensive side that can get a bucket when you need one. In a close game you need a couple guys who can take the ball and get off a quality shot against a tough defense.

We have to slow the game on offense after getting a defensive stop. This limits the number of possessions in the game and puts more pressure on the opponents to score against a very tough defense.

Reactions: freeper
Just whipping WVU. Playing some pretty decent basketball right now. Up 26.

Reactions: freeper
Didn’t know Texas was playing. Was flipping back and forth between okie st/nd and penn st/arkie

This is all well and good, Hook’em and all that, but how did none of you f@cks tell me season 4 of Cobra Kai is out?

Reactions: diadevic
This is all well and good, Hook’em and all that, but how did none of you f@cks tell me season 4 of Cobra Kai is out?
I have never seen cobra kai, but I am eagerly waiting on Succession’s 4th season. I don’t really like any of the spoiled brat and Ahole characters, but love the storyline.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
Texas with a win @kstate 70-57. Texas caught a couple breaks K state short handed with Covid issues and a small crowd due to the bowl game coming up. They are usually a touch place to go on the road. Looks like Carr is stating to find his way. Gotta go on the road to Stillwater on Saturday. 2-0 to start conference play. We will take it.

First half tonight was not great. KSU actiually led at halftime 37-29. Apparently Beard ripped into them at halftime. They came out and turned up the D. Get this...KSU scored a grand total of 4 points for the first 12 minutes of the 2nd half. That stretch is what won the game for us. We still have issues offensively but our D will always be there. Marcus Carr is starting to come around...he's had two straight games where he's filled the stat sheet in all phases. Just need a few more guys to join him. We were also playing without Andrew Jones tonight.

Chris beard learning a lesson on the limitations of his defense only ideas. Texas down 62-51 in Stillwater with 1:13 left. Absolutely dreadful performance especially on the offensive end today. Woof

Chris beard learning a lesson on the limitations of his defense only ideas. Texas down 62-51 in Stillwater with 1:13 left. Absolutely dreadful performance especially on the offensive end today. Woof
Stfu, the refs handed this game to osu. It's 27 free throws for osu to 5 for us.

This is the same ****ing treatment we received in football. Get out of the b12.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lampasas and westx
Yep. Every time we lose means kchorn was right. OR... And just stay with me here because I actually know what I'm talking about... It could mean the shots didn't fall. It's a good league; if you have a bad game in this league you will lose. Ok state played their tails off and our kids did too-- we just didn't make some shots we usually make, and they made some they usually don't. It happens. There is a reason nobody has gone unbeaten since 76. By the way, tyre fastest way to set your program back several years is to over-correct-- I.e. go from run and gun to bang and grind in basketball, or 3 yards and a cloud of dust to air raid in football. So while you may have wanted a tom penders style, it would have been a horrible mistake

Yep. Every time we lose means kchorn was right. OR... And just stay with me here because I actually know what I'm talking about... It could mean the shots didn't fall. It's a good league; if you have a bad game in this league you will lose. Ok state played their tails off and our kids did too-- we just didn't make some shots we usually make, and they made some they usually don't. It happens. There is a reason nobody has gone unbeaten since 76. By the way, tyre fastest way to set your program back several years is to over-correct-- I.e. go from run and gun to bang and grind in basketball, or 3 yards and a cloud of dust to air raid in football. So while you may have wanted a tom penders style, it would have been a horrible mistake
Has nothing to do with losing. I’ll say it when we win to. This team has to get better offensively and Chris beard has to make it happen. If he can’t then he needs to bring in an offensive coach who can. If he doesn’t his stay in Austin won’t be as successful as he and we want it to be. This slow it down play defense and maybe score 60. Just doesn’t work in todays game against good teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT