ADVERTISEMENT

CUMBIE IS IN AUSTIN

CoachEmUp64

Jan 15, 2015
"Per a report from Orangebloods.com Anwar Richardson, Cumbie arrived today for a second face to face meeting with Charlie Strong. As reported by multiple outlets, Strong flew to Ft Worth last night and met with the TCU Co-Offensive Coordinator. This looks like good news as the talks are still ongoing between Texas and Cumbie. It's not clear when a decision is expected, but when a coach makes a visit to tour it's safe to say things are progressing nicely. I'm sure Texas would love to nail down a deal before Cumbie returns to the metroplex so that they can start moving forward with other personnel decisions. Recruiting is also important for the offensive commitments because the dead period is a week away. Texas has to get this done and get their coach in front of major targets like Shane Buechele to ease any worries they might have about their offensive futures. I'd expect something to be wrapped up in the next 24 hours based on experience from other coaching searches. Either way this is great news for Texas because I believe Sonny Cumbie is an absolute star both on the field and the recruiting trail.

Anwar Richardson, Cumbie arrived today for a second face to face meeting with Charlie Strong. As reported by multiple outlets, Strong flew to Ft Worth last night and met with the TCU Co-Offensive Coordinator. This looks like good news as the talks are still ongoing between Texas and Cumbie. It's not clear when a decision is expected, but when a coach makes a visit to tour it's safe to say things are progressing nicely. I'm sure Texas would love to nail down a deal before Cumbie returns to the metroplex so that they can start moving forward with other personnel decisions. Recruiting is also important for the offensive commitments because the dead period is a week away. Texas has to get this done and get their coach in front of major targets like Shane Buechele to ease any worries they might have about their offensive futures. I'd expect something to be wrapped up in the next 24 hours based on experience from other coaching searches. Either way this is great news for Texas because I believe Sonny Cumbie is an absolute star both on the field and the recruiting trail."
-Roach HS

Its-happening-gif.gif

I can't imagine Cumbie turning us down. More money and a promotion. Even if Strong were gone in a year, Cumbie should be able to easily get another QB coach job pretty much anywhere, or possibly OC somewhere.

I can't imagine Cumbie turning us down. More money and a promotion. Even if Strong were gone in a year, Cumbie should be able to easily get another QB coach job pretty much anywhere, or possibly OC somewhere.

3 million + guaranteed take the money and run, even if we fire Strong, he is getting paid like he was here for 3 years.

I saw this earlier, somebody does not know how to use paragraphs but it seemed at that time we were #3 on the list of options for cumbie . If somebody wants to cut this up to something more reader friendly , feel free to, I have to run to a meeting.

Charlie Strong met with offensive coordinator candidate Sonny Cumbie Sunday evening in Fort Worth, a source close to the situation told HD Sunday night.Strong is expected to interview a second candidate - Tulsa co-OC Sterlin Gilbert, the source said.The source said Strong took Texas run-game coordinator Jeff Traylor with him to Fort Worth Sunday night for the interview with Cumbie. Strong and Traylor were in Fort Worth for roughly five hours before returning to Austin around 11 pm CT Sunday night.Texas has given Strong the green light to offer Cumbie a multi-year, guaranteed deal paying him $1 million annually. If Cumbie becomes the new OC at Texas, he might also be allowed to select a coach or two to join him on the offensive staff, a source said.Strong contacted Gary Patterson to notify the TCU coach of his desire to interview Cumbie, who has more than a $250,000 buyout, said another source close to the situation.Cumbie's play-calling experience is limited. He called plays for Texas Tech in a come-from-behind, 34-31 victory over Minnesota in the Meineke Car Care Bowl in 2012, when Chris Thomsen served as interim coach following Tommy Tuberville's departure to Cincinnati.Thomsen, now the assistant head coach/offensive line coach at Arizona State, could be a candidate to join Cumbie if he were to come to Texas, two sources told HD.The interest Strong has in Cumbie is three-fold:1) He's well-versed in a passing game with roots in the Air Raid as a complement to run-game coordinator Jeff Traylor's power spread concepts. Those two have a good comfort level and respect for each other from Cumbie recruiting Gilmer, I'm told from a source close to Cumbie.2) Cumbie has proven to be an excellent QB coach with his development of TCU's Trevone Boykin.3) Cumbie is one of the best recruiters of QBs (especially Texas QBs - with Brennen Wooten currently committed to TCU for 2016 and 5-star Shawn Robinson for 2017), and everyone knows the lifeblood of Texas' program has been Texas QBs.As I've reported, Cumbie could become a target of Bob Stoops at Oklahoma if OU offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley were to get a head-coaching job (East Carolina, where Riley was OC for five years, might have interest), and Cumbie could become a target of A&M's Kevin Sumlin, who appears to be ready to pull the plug on OC Jake Spavital.If TCU offensive play caller Doug Meacham, who was a finalist for the North Texas job, were to get a head-coaching gig, of course, Patterson would seek to make Cumbie his play-caller.If all the schools had vacancies at OC, I'm told Cumbie's priority list right now would probably be:1) TCU - He's put in two years to help build it and has QBs on the way with Kenny Hill coming out of a redshirt.2) OU - Baker Mayfield returns, and if OU has another season like 2015 in 2016, Cumbie's the hot head coach candidate.3) Texas - Being the offensive play caller with a lot of young talent - and turning things around - would be enormous. The downside of things not turning around is significant.4) A&M - See No. 3 I'm also told money and a guaranteed contract for so many years won't be the top priority in Cumbie's decision.One source close to the Texas program said Strong plans to talk to two offensive coordinator candidates - with the other expected to be Tulsa's co-OC Sterlin Gilbert.Gilbert, who has extensive ties to Texas, ran the offense for Tulsa coach (and former Baylor OC) Philip Montgomery this season, helping the Golden Hurricane average 35.9 ppg in a 7-5 season as junior QB Dane Evans completed 63 percent of his passes while throwing for 3,958 yards with 22 TDs and 8 INTs.In 2014, Gilbert was co-OC/QB coach for Bowling Green's Dino Babers, averaging 30.0 ppg and 433 yards per game (173 ypg rushing/260 ypg passing) in an 8-6 season. Babers called the plays.Gilbert gained the reputation as a rising star offensive coordinator while OC/QB coach under Babers at Eastern Illinois in 2012 and 2013, helping to develop QB Jimmy Garappolo into an NFL draft pick.In 2013, Gilbert's second year at EIU, the offense led FCS in yards (589.5 - 372.4 passing/217.1 rushing) and points per game (48.2) while earning honors as FCS coordinator of the year.Garappolo won the 2013 Walter Payton Award (FCS' version of the Heisman Trophy) after passing for 5,050 yards and 53 touchdowns. In two seasons under Gilbert, Garappolo threw for 8,873 yards and 84 TDs.Gilbert was an all-state high school QB from San Angelo who went on to all-conference honors at Division II Angelo State. He started his coaching career as an assistant at Temple, Abilene Cooper and Springtown before getting a head-coaching gig at San Angelo Lake View, where he was named West Texas High School coach of the year in 2008.Gilbert was hired by Art Briles as a graduate assistant coach at Houston in 2005 and was recommended to Dino Babers at EIU by Briles after Babers worked as Baylor's WR coach from 2008-11.Another candidate, of course, would be Traylor, Texas' TE coach/run game coordinator and former Gilmer HS coaching legend.Traylor's power spread offenses at Gilmer mixed the concepts of Chad Morris and Gus Malzahn and scored points like crazy during his decorated HS coaching career, which included 3 state titles (59.2 ppg during Gilmer's 16-0 4A state title run in 2014).

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
I saw this earlier, somebody does not know how to use paragraphs but it seemed at that time we were #3 on the list of options for cumbie . If somebody wants to cut this up to something more reader friendly , feel free to, I have to run to a meeting.

Charlie Strong met with offensive coordinator candidate Sonny Cumbie Sunday evening in Fort Worth, a source close to the situation told HD Sunday night.Strong is expected to interview a second candidate - Tulsa co-OC Sterlin Gilbert, the source said.The source said Strong took Texas run-game coordinator Jeff Traylor with him to Fort Worth Sunday night for the interview with Cumbie.

Strong and Traylor were in Fort Worth for roughly five hours before returning to Austin around 11 pm CT Sunday night.Texas has given Strong the green light to offer Cumbie a multi-year, guaranteed deal paying him $1 million annually. If Cumbie becomes the new OC at Texas, he might also be allowed to select a coach or two to join him on the offensive staff, a source said.Strong contacted Gary Patterson to notify the TCU coach of his desire to interview Cumbie, who has more than a $250,000 buyout, said another source close to the situation.Cumbie's play-calling experience is limited.

He called plays for Texas Tech in a come-from-behind, 34-31 victory over Minnesota in the Meineke Car Care Bowl in 2012, when Chris Thomsen served as interim coach following Tommy Tuberville's departure to Cincinnati.Thomsen, now the assistant head coach/offensive line coach at Arizona State, could be a candidate to join Cumbie if he were to come to Texas, two sources told HD.The interest Strong has in Cumbie is three-fold:1) He's well-versed in a passing game with roots in the Air Raid as a complement to run-game coordinator Jeff Traylor's power spread concepts. Those two have a good comfort level and respect for each other from Cumbie recruiting Gilmer,

I'm told from a source close to Cumbie.2) Cumbie has proven to be an excellent QB coach with his development of TCU's Trevone Boykin.3) Cumbie is one of the best recruiters of QBs (especially Texas QBs - with Brennen Wooten currently committed to TCU for 2016 and 5-star Shawn Robinson for 2017), and everyone knows the lifeblood of Texas' program has been Texas QBs.As I've reported,

Cumbie could become a target of Bob Stoops at Oklahoma if OU offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley were to get a head-coaching job (East Carolina, where Riley was OC for five years, might have interest), and Cumbie could become a target of A&M's Kevin Sumlin, who appears to be ready to pull the plug on OC Jake Spavital.

If TCU offensive play caller Doug Meacham, who was a finalist for the North Texas job, were to get a head-coaching gig, of course, Patterson would seek to make Cumbie his play-caller.

If all the schools had vacancies at OC, I'm told Cumbie's priority list right now would probably be:1) TCU - He's put in two years to help build it and has QBs on the way with Kenny Hill coming out of a redshirt.2) OU - Baker Mayfield returns, and if OU has another season like 2015 in 2016, Cumbie's the hot head coach candidate.3) Texas - Being the offensive play caller with a lot of young talent - and turning things around - would be enormous. The downside of things not turning around is significant.4) A&M - See No. 3 I'm also told money and a guaranteed contract for so many years won't be the top priority in Cumbie's decision.

One source close to the Texas program said Strong plans to talk to two offensive coordinator candidates - with the other expected to be Tulsa's co-OC Sterlin Gilbert.Gilbert, who has extensive ties to Texas, ran the offense for Tulsa coach (and former Baylor OC) Philip Montgomery this season, helping the Golden Hurricane average 35.9 ppg in a 7-5 season as junior QB Dane Evans completed 63 percent of his passes while throwing for 3,958 yards with 22 TDs and 8 INTs.In 2014, Gilbert was co-OC/QB coach for Bowling Green's Dino Babers, averaging 30.0 ppg and 433 yards per game (173 ypg rushing/260 ypg passing) in an 8-6 season. Babers called the plays.Gilbert gained the reputation as a rising star offensive coordinator while OC/QB coach under Babers at Eastern Illinois in 2012 and 2013, helping to develop QB Jimmy Garappolo into an NFL draft pick.In 2013, Gilbert's second year at EIU, the offense led FCS in yards (589.5 - 372.4 passing/217.1 rushing) and points per game (48.2) while earning honors as FCS coordinator of the year.

Garappolo won the 2013 Walter Payton Award (FCS' version of the Heisman Trophy) after passing for 5,050 yards and 53 touchdowns. In two seasons under Gilbert, Garappolo threw for 8,873 yards and 84 TDs.Gilbert was an all-state high school QB from San Angelo who went on to all-conference honors at Division II Angelo State.

He started his coaching career as an assistant at Temple, Abilene Cooper and Springtown before getting a head-coaching gig at San Angelo Lake View, where he was named West Texas High School coach of the year in 2008.Gilbert was hired by Art Briles as a graduate assistant coach at Houston in 2005 and was recommended to Dino Babers at EIU by Briles after Babers worked as Baylor's WR coach from 2008-11.

Another candidate, of course, would be Traylor, Texas' TE coach/run game coordinator and former Gilmer HS coaching legend.Traylor's power spread offenses at Gilmer mixed the concepts of Chad Morris and Gus Malzahn and scored points like crazy during his decorated HS coaching career, which included 3 state titles (59.2 ppg during Gilmer's 16-0 4A state title run in 2014).

Broke it up a bit for easier reading.

I think Cumbie has a Gerry Curl, so does that count as a perm?

Hmm I don't know. I looked up Jerry Curl and this is what they say:

The Jheri curl (often spelled Jerry curl or Jeri Curl) is a permed hairstyle that was popular among African American, Black Canadian, and Black British during the 1980s. Invented by the hairdresser Jheri Redding,[1] the Jheri curl gave the wearer a glossy, loosely curled look. It was touted as a "wash and wear" style that was easier to care for than the other popular chemical treatment of the day, the relaxer.

A Jheri curl required a two-part application that consisted of a softener (often called a "rearranging cream") to loosen the hair and a solution to set the curls. The rearranging cream used pungent chemicals, causing the naturally tight curls to loosen and hang. The loose hair was then set and a chemical solution was then added to the hair to permanently curl it.

Perming the hair was time and labor-intensive and expensive to maintain. The harsh mix of chemicals required for the process caused the wearer's natural hair to become extremely brittle and dry.

To maintain the look of the Jheri curl, users were required to apply a curl activator spray and heavy moisturizers daily and to sleep with a plastic cap on their heads to keep the hairstyle from drying out. These products were relatively expensive (a typical bottle of activator was small, retailed anywhere from $3 to $6, and was quickly depleted). The activator in particular had the undesirable side effect of being very greasy; this would often stain clothing, furniture, and anything that came into contact with it.

Washing the hair cleansed it of the styling products but also exposed the damage done to the hair by the chemical process. Also, as the hair grew out, the wearer would be forced to return to the hair salon for a touch-up, further adding to the overall expense.

To resolve the problems associated with the cost of the look, Comer Cottrell invented a cheap kit (which he called the "Curly Kit") that could be used at home, thereby enabling ordinary African-Americans to copy the style of their wealthier idols.[2]

A trend-setting jheri curl image was the cover of Michael Jackson's album Thriller, which was released in 1982. Also notably, actor Samuel L. Jackson (as the character Jules Winnfield) wore a jheri-curled wig[3] in Quentin Tarantino's Pulp Fiction. The style was also worn in the late 1980s and early 1990s by rappers DJ Quik, Eazy-E, along with other members of the hip-hop group N.W.A, such as Ice Cube.

The style has been satirized in film. Two notable examples are the Keenen Ivory Wayans character, "Jeri Curl", in the 1987 Robert Townsend film Hollywood Shuffle, and in John Landis's 1988 comedy Coming to America through Eriq La Salle's character, Darryl.[4] In the latter film, Darryl was heir to the dynasty of a fictional product named "SoulGlo", which gave the wearer a style reminiscent of a Jheri curl while at the same time leaving the infamous greasy residue on soft furnishings.

In Samuel L. Jackson's opening monologue in the 1989 film Do the Right Thing, his DJ character says that there is a "Jheri Curl alert" in effect for the day: "If you have a Jheri Curl stay in the house or you'll end up with a permanent plastic helmet on your head forever."[5]

Seems to me by the definition and the pic provided with this description that a Jerry Curl or Jheri Curl is an afro with moisturizer in it so I would say not to Cumbie having one. It appears he is going for the perm look but maybe he is not that dedicated to it looking tight.

So he's in Austin?

Where's he eating at?

Is his wife with him?

If so have you seen what she looks like?

Is she good looking?

lol

Hey I can get behind this 100 if he takes the job. Look what he did with the talent he inherited at TCU. Who would have thought Josh Doctson was that good?

Reactions: CoachEmUp64
H
So he's in Austin?

Where's he eating at?

Is his wife with him?

If so have you seen what she looks like?

Is she good looking?

lol

Hey I can get behind this 100 if he takes the job. Look what he did with the talent he inherited at TCU. Who would have thought Josh Doctson was that good?
hopefully they took him to Franklins, cut him to the front of line to seal the deal.

The Jheri curl (often spelled Jerry curl or Jeri Curl) is a permed hairstyle that was popular among African American, Black Canadian, and Black British during the 1980s. Invented by the hairdresser Jheri Redding,[1] the Jheri curl gave the wearer a glossy, loosely curled look. It was touted as a "wash and wear" style that was easier to care for than the other popular chemical treatment of the day, the relaxer.

A Jheri curl required a two-part application that consisted of a softener (often called a "rearranging cream") to loosen the hair and a solution to set the curls. The rearranging cream used pungent chemicals, causing the naturally tight curls to loosen and hang. The loose hair was then set and a chemical solution was then added to the hair to permanently curl it.

Perming the hair was time and labor-intensive and expensive to maintain. The harsh mix of chemicals required for the process caused the wearer's natural hair to become extremely brittle and dry.

To maintain the look of the Jheri curl, users were required to apply a curl activator spray and heavy moisturizers daily and to sleep with a plastic cap on their heads to keep the hairstyle from drying out. These products were relatively expensive (a typical bottle of activator was small, retailed anywhere from $3 to $6, and was quickly depleted). The activator in particular had the undesirable side effect of being very greasy; this would often stain clothing, furniture, and anything that came into contact with it.

Washing the hair cleansed it of the styling products but also exposed the damage done to the hair by the chemical process. Also, as the hair grew out, the wearer would be forced to return to the hair salon for a touch-up, further adding to the overall expense.

To resolve the problems associated with the cost of the look, Comer Cottrell invented a cheap kit (which he called the "Curly Kit") that could be used at home, thereby enabling ordinary African-Americans to copy the style of their wealthier idols.[2]

A trend-setting jheri curl image was the cover of Michael Jackson's album Thriller, which was released in 1982. Also notably, actor Samuel L. Jackson (as the character Jules Winnfield) wore a jheri-curled wig[3] in Quentin Tarantino's Pulp Fiction. The style was also worn in the late 1980s and early 1990s by rappers DJ Quik, Eazy-E, along with other members of the hip-hop group N.W.A, such as Ice Cube.

The style has been satirized in film. Two notable examples are the Keenen Ivory Wayans character, "Jeri Curl", in the 1987 Robert Townsend film Hollywood Shuffle, and in John Landis's 1988 comedy Coming to America through Eriq La Salle's character, Darryl.[4] In the latter film, Darryl was heir to the dynasty of a fictional product named "SoulGlo", which gave the wearer a style reminiscent of a Jheri curl while at the same time leaving the infamous greasy residue on soft furnishings.

In Samuel L. Jackson's opening monologue in the 1989 film Do the Right Thing, his DJ character says that there is a "Jheri Curl alert" in effect for the day: "If you have a Jheri Curl stay in the house or you'll end up with a permanent plastic helmet on your head forever."[5]

Seems to me by the definition and the pic provided with this description that a Jerry Curl or Jheri Curl is an afro with moisturizer in it so I would say not to Cumbie having one. It appears he is going for the perm look but maybe he is not that dedicated to it looking tight.

You know what I took away from that post, I spelled Jheri curl wrong.

Reactions: txleapd

Ya gotta use Afro Sheen on it Bell?

Hook'em

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT