5. Todd Grantham Louisville defensive coordinator $1.4 million
6. Brent Venables Clemson defensive coordinator $1.35 million
7. Jeremy Pruitt Georgia defensive coordinator $1.3 million
8. Kevin Steele LSU defensive coordinator $1 million
9. Brian Schottenheimer Georgia offensive coordinator $950,000
T10. Bud Foster Virginia Tech defensive coordinator $900,000
T10. Mike Norvell Arizona State offensive coordinator $900,000

link

There is an awful lot of rampant speculation on this message board. None of it even comes close to the truth. As someone with access to this information I would like to set the record straight.

Cumbie was willing to leave TCU for Texas, but the boosters/alumni cost us this hire. Cumbie and Texas were in the middle of negotiating the coaches he wanted to bring in when a well-known “Big Cigar” reached out and started meddling. This “Big Cigar” told Cumbie that he should consider himself lucky to be wanted by a school like Texas and asking to bring “his” coaches in without alumni approval would “cost him” down the road. Cumbie called Strong and thanked him for the offer and declined the position citing this as his reason.

There is an awful lot of rampant speculation on this message board. None of it even comes close to the truth. As someone with access to this information I would like to set the record straight.

Cumbie was willing to leave TCU for Texas, but the boosters/alumni cost us this hire. Cumbie and Texas were in the middle of negotiating the coaches he wanted to bring in when a well-known “Big Cigar” reached out and started meddling. This “Big Cigar” told Cumbie that he should consider himself lucky to be wanted by a school like Texas and asking to bring “his” coaches in without alumni approval would “cost him” down the road. Cumbie called Strong and thanked him for the offer and declined the position citing this as his reason.

I don't even care at this point. I'm tired of focusing on should have, could have, or would haves and ready to focus only on who is actually coaching this team.

Reactions: HornosaurusRex
Jdrake, while I can't 100% confirm that, I don't doubt there is some truth in there somewhere. We do have some stupid fvcking donors.

BMD'S gonna BMD

That goes on everywhere all the time. If you don't have tough skin you really shouldn't coach.

Have to pay more for a potentially short term gig.

Chump change if we get the right guy who can crank up the engine.

Hook 'em

I typically don't care because it's not my money, or at least very little of it is, so if they want to overpay fine. I was just interested in what company he would be in because he definitely sticks out when mentioned with some of the other names.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT