ADVERTISEMENT

Dear Lil-jordan

What would you generally expect someone's 40 time to be with his vertical and broad jump numbers? Assuming you both are saying he should have been faster with those numbers, but correct me if I'm wrong. Possible or probable that he didn't spend enough time working on proper running form before the combine?
It's both possible and likely probable.

Look--- speed is a gift. But even kids without speed can be taught better technique to shave a few hundredths of a second off. A good get off is key. Honestly we all knew the guys wasn't blazing fast, but 4.79 40 is pedestrian for a WR. I honestly would have said he was a low to mid 4.6 guy. With 33 inch vert--- there's "some" explosiveness---

Is there a video of him running that someone has a link to?

I had not seen Boyd's numbers yet. Did that happen yesterday?

4.45 is solid. He is liable to knock a few hundredths off that as he physically matures. And 19 reps for a DB sounds pretty solid as well.

Makes you wonder why he earned the label of Charcoal---- with all the strength and speed.

It was yesterday.

if you go by game film, ljh will make a comfortable living in the nfl for the foreseeable future, and kris boyd will be asking if you want fries with that in july.

if you go by combine numbers, i guess those 2 scenarios get swapped.

eventually, the nfl goes by what is on film. ljh will have a future in the nfl. kris boyd better save his signing bonus.

again, the oklahoma ot was chastised by scouts at the combine for quitting last year, and was still drafted early and still started this past year in the same nfl. they have short memories when you can produce.

The Oklahoma OT didn’t quit during the year. He was a great tackle all year long. He was chastised because his bench press was so poor at the combine. He proved them wrong. I imagine LJH will do alright.

that was what i was saying-- he quit during the combine. humphrey will be fine. some of these dudes are acting butt-hurt because the kid went pro instead of staying. and that's why they're butt-hurt-- they don't actually care about his combine numbers. embrace this dude-- he was beyond instrumental in getting us turned around.

I'll give you the speed argument--- you've either got it or you don't. In my case, I lost it with a broken patella--- and microsurgery didn't exist yet. Lil-jordan can't get faster but what he can do is add muscle and transition to a "tweener". An H back that can line up tight and flex out would be the only way he could improve his stock.

LJ is a tweener already. He is a matchup problem and can catch the ball in traffic. I'd be shocked if he doesn't get drafted, despite running a 4.8 40.

I'm thinking Jason Witten is about a 5.2 40.

Reactions: westx
I think Boyd will be alright. Davis is the one that I don't think will do well.
Boyd's got to learn to see things before they happen.

If you are a corner that runs a 4.4 and keep getting roasted, it's not because you're slow.

Boyd's got to learn to see things before they happen.

If you are a corner that runs a 4.4 and keep getting roasted, it's not because you're slow.
True. But, certain things to keep in mind are 1)UT's secondary had to defend with little help from the DL's poor pass rush. 2)Boyd was always assigned the other team's best receiver. 3)Playing in the B12 tested him against prolific offenses.

I hope they all do well. I hope they have long, productive, healthy careers. But again, I watched the actual games. Which leads me to have doubts. I'll for sure be rooting for them though

I cannot stress this enough.

Bench press is the most worthless lift there is when developing a football player. Judging a WR by his bench press is akin to judging Mrs America by her bench press.

If you want to judge a football player by strength, put 315 on a squat rack and show me how many times they can squat it. or how many times they can dead lift 225. Those lifts have much more bearing on football strength than a bench press. This includes offensive linemen. Hell if you need to measure chest strength, show me how many times they can do a push up, A push up not only engages the chest muscle but also their whole core. That will tell me more about the strength of a player than bench press ever will.

I'm also not concerned about the 4.8 40 except that it tells me he wasn't prepared. I'm willing to bet on the Texas pro day he ends up posting around a 4.5 40 and we will all be saying wow. The truth is, it doesn't take much to cut a 40 time down just changing his start can change the 40 time quite a bit.

Back in my high school days we had a running back who never posted good 40 times but he also was never caught from behind. He was a great 100 m guy in track, basically his normal 100 m time was around 10 7. This indicates his 40 time should be around 4.4. One summer he worked with a speed coach who had him change his start and worked with his upper body speed, after that he started posting 4.4 40's. His 40 time started to line up with his 100 m time.

Some guys have slow starts and working with a good speed guy can help them absolutely change their 40 time without making them faster.

Last edited:
Bench press is the most worthless lift there is when developing a football player. Judging a WR by his bench press is akin to judging Mrs America by her bench press.

All true, but, fairly or not in LJH's case, the bench results are viewed in part as a proxy for work ethic.

His subpar 40 times will be seen the same way, given how they don't square with his vertical and broad jump numbers.

Last edited:
All true, but, fairly or not in LJH's case, the bench results are viewed in part as a proxy for work ethic.

His subpar 40 times will be seen the same way, given how they don't square with his vertical and broad jump numbers.

Here is the thing that does jive about both. His vertical and broad jump tell me about the power in his hips. If he has good power in his hips he should have good speed, however keep in mind, your lower body can only go as fast has his arms can move. If you want to speed up your legs you have to be able to speed up your arms. I worked with some damn good track coaches in my day, and I'm willing to bet he just needs to work his arm speed and then his leg speed will catch up with his hip power he displayed at the combine.

The absolute biggest concern is his dedication to the game, is he able to work hard enough to get faster? He obviously can based on his vertical and broad jump. Once I determine if he can dedicate himself to the game, I would definitely draft him. He will be a steal in the later rounds because his issues are fixable, he just has to be willing to fix them.

So 4 of our 8 seniors from the defense went to the combine. We all know Hager isn't going to the NFL. So that leaves Nelson, Wheeler, and PJ3. Will they get drafted or sign a fa contract? Imo they played good enough for that opportunity. What are their chances?

And what about the offense? Isn't Beck good enough to get drafted? To be honest I don't have the slightest idea about Vahe, Rodriguez, Anderson, or Watson. So any output would be appreciated.

So 4 of our 8 seniors from the defense went to the combine. We all know Hager isn't going to the NFL. So that leaves Nelson, Wheeler, and PJ3. Will they get drafted or sign a fa contract? Imo they played good enough for that opportunity. What are their chances?

And what about the offense? Isn't Beck good enough to get drafted? To be honest I don't have the slightest idea about Vahe, Rodriguez, Anderson, or Watson. So any output would be appreciated.
I could see Watson being a FA signee help out on special teams, be a 3rd back that can catch the ball out of the backfield. Don't know anything about the OL folks though. If Beck can show that he has the strength to be an in line blocker, then I think he gets picked up somewhere or at least has a camp invitation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT