Does 8-5 with a top 10 recruiting class put TH on the hot seat?

Discussion in 'Longhorn Sports' started by 2300 Nueces, Sep 6, 2018.

1. 2300 Nueces

2300 Nueces Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I still think we make it to 8-4 but the 4 games following Tulsa will make or break our season. The loss to Maryland hurt. We need to go 2-2 over the USC, TCU, K-State, OU stretch. If not, we could likely be looking at 7-5 or worse. IMO 7-5 with a bowl win and a top 10 class would be the minimum needed to keep TH off the 3rd year hot seat.

2. LonghornMM

LonghornMM Moderator
    Expand Collapse

No. Herman isn't going to be fired after only two years on the job. I don't get why people keep bringing this up. As bad as things were when Strong was here, he at the very least deserved the three years that he got. You cannot fire coaches after one, two, or many times even only three years. It sends a bad message that you're impatient and have unrealistic expectations to the next potential coach, and that will become a liability in attracting a quality coach if your program fires coaches after such a short period of time.

q1w2e3, freeper, Drtxhorn and 2 others like this.
  3. easttx903

easttx903 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

we're not going to be 8-5. we're starting the season 1-5. there is no way we finish with 7 in a row.

4. JHop6714

JHop6714 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

The only way I think Herman is on the hot seat in year 3 is if we miss out on a bowl this year, and by mid-way of next season we are looking like we may miss out on a bowl again.

Iitbhorn3 and westx like this.
  5. 2300 Nueces

Expand Collapse

I said hot seat, meaning he could be fired after year 3 if he does not meet expectations. Not trying to cause probs but was trying to get a feel for what could happen.

6. 2300 Nueces

Expand Collapse

Mr optimistic

7. 2300 Nueces

Expand Collapse

So you think 6-6 is the mark.... making a bowl. That's all? We have guys on here thinking it's 9-3 or hang him.

8. oldhorn2

oldhorn2 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I was thinking 9-3 or hang ME

CoachEmUp64 and BringBackRoyal like this.
  9. cml7374

cml7374 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

"we're not going to be 8-5. we're starting the season 1-5. there is no way we finish with 7 in a row."

I will take that bet......the over with at least 2 wins.....so 2-4 minimal

10. oldhorn2

Expand Collapse

I was looking at clips from the game, and it wasn't as bad as I thought.Our mistakes are correctable.....I am just missed that we were not better prepared. We have talent. We just need preperation.

11. JHop6714

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I think Herman will have more leeway than Charlie Strong. I think he's better respected, more liked, and has done more overall for the University. Thus, I think he will get a 4th year unless we don't make a bowl in 2018 plus don't make bowl again in 2019. If we end next year without a bowl, I think he'll be fired or extremely close to being fired. If we go 6-7 or 7-6 this year and next, I think he will get a 4th year to try and prove himself

LonghornMM likes this.
  12. 2300 Nueces

Expand Collapse

So, if we lose to USC and Ryan is back here saying we need to fire TH.... maybe he should not show up at all.

LonghornMM likes this.
  13. westx

westx Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I don't think he will get more leeway. I was a Strong apologist because I thought any day we would turn the corner. Let's not forget the bad defense records the defense set against BYU, successive blocked extra points, loss to KU, successive blowouts to TCU, with no credible plan to fix anything. If TH does the same, he will suffer the same consequence.

BringBackRoyal likes this.
  14. easttx903

Expand Collapse

ill honestly be surprised if we finish bowl eligible. we have 2 games on the schedule right now that should be a guaranteed wins. Kansas and tulsa. we are not good enough to show up and win on talen alone anymore.

15. LongfellowDrew

LongfellowDrew Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

8-5 with a new AD no.

16. LongfellowDrew

LongfellowDrew Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

So do yourself a favor and don’t watch the rest of the year. I mean if it’s that bad why watch.

17. The Awakening

The Awakening Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

7-6 this year and his seat will be warm next year with pressure to win atleast 9 games...

18. clob94

clob94 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

8 wins keeps the heat off.

But a total collapse (3-9) will set the wheels in motion. Once the wheels are in motion, it takes an act of God (or 10 wins) to stop it.

19. easttx903

Expand Collapse

because im not a fairweather fan. you can still love your team and be realistic. Ill love my horns till my dying breath, but we didnt show any improvement on offense this year. sam is no better than he was last year and i dont see him getting any better until he stops costing us games with terrible interceptions.

elcapitan009 likes this.
  20. aix_xpert

aix_xpert Member
    Expand Collapse

8 is probably safe for TH. Tulsa, ISU, KU, KState, and Baylor should all be wins simply on the significant talent edge. Tech is just above those teams, but UT should have the edge there too. That's 6 wins. OSU is the next step up, but UT hasn't actually beaten OSU in while, even when you should have. Then there is USC (equivalently talented as UT), TCU (better coached thus far), WVU (stud QB and system) and OU (the Big12's best until proven otherwise). To get to 8, you have to win all the "winnables" plus one of the last 4. If I had to predict, I'd say 7 wins, but if he gets to 8 then he's won at least one game he's not favored in and should be safe. Real question is what's the floor before the seat gets real warm for 2019? If he loses the last 5 on my list (OSU, USC, OU, WVU, & TCU) and ends the season 6-6, what will your thoughts be on TH? This to me is a realistic possibility, and would lead to the "fire an assistant coach as the scapegoat move" all hot seat coaches do.

Note: This is prior to bowl results.

21. mm42

mm42 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Why oh why do I feel the need to take up for Herman? He took over a program with some talent and some problems. If he goes 4-8 (which is not happening) he'd still keep his job. He is recruiting better than his predecessor. He was at the top of your wish list or very close to it when you hired him. And who the hell would take a job where 3 guys have been fired in a little over 5 years. He'll get 4 years, basically no matter what.

2300 Nueces and LonghornMM like this.
  22. 2300 Nueces

Expand Collapse

Ryan, you paying attention?

LonghornMM likes this.
  23. weevilcatch

weevilcatch Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

You just being a cynical pessimist or are you serious?

24. weevilcatch

weevilcatch Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

But you're not being realistic. To say 2-10 is a real possibility is not realistic. 10-2 is more likely than 2-10.

25. mm42

mm42 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Fan bases are all stupid. After the Tulsa game many people grumpy now will declare all is well in Longhorn country. Many of my fellow Aggies who are in love with Jimbo will run to Texags to say we hired the wrong guy after Clemson beats us and Bama thumps us. I will run to Texags to laugh at idiots who are shocked and pissed Saturday night. Same as I will come here to laugh at people who claim we're back after Tulsa. It is all so predictable, and entertaining.

26. 2300 Nueces

Expand Collapse

He can be grouchy. Let him have is poofy lips and furrowed brow. He' earned it.

weevilcatch likes this.
  27. CoachEmUp64

CoachEmUp64 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Someone on one of the boards I read put it best- "UT football will continue to suck, until it doesn't..." dont remember who said it or where it was said. but i agree with this statement. Until we have 10 win seasons every year, I'm to the point that we just suck.... until we dont suck. I'm over arguing with aggys and other ppl, I'm over making excuses, we just plain out suck... until we dont. hope that doesn't take too long bc it's a hard pill to swallow

HornsUp37, weevilcatch and oldhorn2 like this.
  28. oldhorn2

Expand Collapse

^^^^^^^^^^ as good of a post about this as I have read. Coachemup generally says what I wish I would have said if I were smarter.

CoachEmUp64 likes this.
  29. 2300 Nueces

Expand Collapse

Yes, we aren't great. We held onto Mack too long and hired the wrong guy afterward which has put us a decade behind recovery but 12-0 doesn't happen overnight. It takes time to rebuild and an important component is consistency and that includes the staff. 8-5 would be a good year coupled with a top 10 class considering our recruiting losses to rivals in-state. Part of the fun of a 12-0 team is the journey.

29 2300 Nueces, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    oldhorn2 likes this.
  30. JasperNewton7

JasperNewton7 Active Member
    Expand Collapse

I agree with you 2300. However, I find myself asking....’are we there yet’ quite often

31. cwillfromdatx

cwillfromdatx Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Herman will be on the hot seat if the boys lose to Tulsa. He won't be fired this year but if they come out and look bad next year, he will be gone. Sad to say, I always believe in a coach coaching for 4 years, not 3 or less. So I hope he can turn this around and play his best players, not the players who get the hype. Start Ingram and play the CAL transfer. Porter, NOPE. Hager and Roach needs to work to get that starting position because they didn't do crap, to me. If Sam throws a INT, bench him PERIOD and play shane. Entitlement is a bad thing and I think some of these jokers are enjoying it.

32. gordo107

gordo107 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Any UT coach not named Royal will always have a hot seat, comes with the job. That's not really a bad thing.

q1w2e3 and oldhorn2 like this.
  33. oldhorn2

Expand Collapse

Royals seat was getting at least warm when he left, and if we lose to Tulsa(which we will not) nothing else would matter....I would at that point expect a full court press for Dabo...

freeper likes this.
  34. JHop6714

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Does anyone else remember...oh, wait, it's EVERY year
    Sitting in the stands at DKR in 2011 during our first loss "well, our team is young. At least we will be good next year!"
    Then, again...
    Then, again...
    Then, again...

35. easttx903

Expand Collapse

im absolutely serious, we are not good enough to win by showing up against anyone on our schedule with the exception of Tulsa and Kansas. i just got beat by a maryland team that won 3 or 4 games last year. do you think that is out of line?
    im not saying that we go 2-10 at all. Im simply saying we cant win any games that we are not prepared for. we are not that talented anymore. the only teams that i would bet money that we win is tulsa and Kansas. based on our performance last week against maryland, which teams out of USC, TCU, and Oklahoma do you think we can come in and just win? We ALWAYS struggle in Manhatten ks. I dont think 1-5 is completely out of the realm of possibility to start.

36. easttx903

Expand Collapse

did anyone watch college football countdown on espn just now?

37. q1w2e3

q1w2e3 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

No

38. easttx903

Expand Collapse

every single person said that we are soft on both sides of the ball. soft.

39. clob94

clob94 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

My Bros, hear me now and believe me later.

If Tom and the team continue to poop the bed, and do not show improvement, I can promise you with 100% certainty that his tenure will only last three years......
    Now, why will it only last 3 years........ because the previous coach only lasted 3 years............

Now, I think you educated and distinguished gentlemen will be able to understand the negative blow back that the entire university would be subjected to if this coach crapped the bed 3 straight years (record wise and bowl win for Tommy helps a miniscule amount) and was kept for a fourth year, while the previous coach was only kept for 3......... I'm not drawing you a map...... simply stating the obvious.

freeper likes this.
  40. FlourBluffHorn

FlourBluffHorn Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Anymore players going to ICU for heat might make it shorter.....

Hook'em