ADVERTISEMENT

Does 8-5 with a top 10 recruiting class put TH on the hot seat?

2300 Nueces

Sep 27, 2015
I still think we make it to 8-4 but the 4 games following Tulsa will make or break our season. The loss to Maryland hurt. We need to go 2-2 over the USC, TCU, K-State, OU stretch. If not, we could likely be looking at 7-5 or worse. IMO 7-5 with a bowl win and a top 10 class would be the minimum needed to keep TH off the 3rd year hot seat.

No. Herman isn't going to be fired after only two years on the job. I don't get why people keep bringing this up. As bad as things were when Strong was here, he at the very least deserved the three years that he got. You cannot fire coaches after one, two, or many times even only three years. It sends a bad message that you're impatient and have unrealistic expectations to the next potential coach, and that will become a liability in attracting a quality coach if your program fires coaches after such a short period of time.

we're not going to be 8-5. we're starting the season 1-5. there is no way we finish with 7 in a row.

No. Herman isn't going to be fired after only two years on the job. I don't get why people keep bringing this up. As bad as things were when Strong was here, he at the very least deserved the three years that he got. You cannot fire coaches after one, two, or many times even only three years. It sends a bad message that you're impatient and have unrealistic expectations to the next potential coach, and that will become a liability in attracting a quality coach if your program fires coaches after such a short period of time.
The only way I think Herman is on the hot seat in year 3 is if we miss out on a bowl this year, and by mid-way of next season we are looking like we may miss out on a bowl again.

Reactions: Iitbhorn3 and westx

I said hot seat, meaning he could be fired after year 3 if he does not meet expectations. Not trying to cause probs but was trying to get a feel for what could happen.

The only way I think Herman is on the hot seat in year 3 is if we miss out on a bowl this year, and by mid-way of next season we are looking like we may miss out on a bowl again.

So you think 6-6 is the mark.... making a bowl. That's all? We have guys on here thinking it's 9-3 or hang him.

"we're not going to be 8-5. we're starting the season 1-5. there is no way we finish with 7 in a row."

I will take that bet......the over with at least 2 wins.....so 2-4 minimal

I was looking at clips from the game, and it wasn't as bad as I thought.Our mistakes are correctable.....I am just missed that we were not better prepared. We have talent. We just need preperation.

So you think 6-6 is the mark.... making a bowl. That's all? We have guys on here thinking it's 9-3 or hang him.
I think Herman will have more leeway than Charlie Strong. I think he's better respected, more liked, and has done more overall for the University. Thus, I think he will get a 4th year unless we don't make a bowl in 2018 plus don't make bowl again in 2019. If we end next year without a bowl, I think he'll be fired or extremely close to being fired. If we go 6-7 or 7-6 this year and next, I think he will get a 4th year to try and prove himself

Reactions: LonghornMM
I think Herman will have more leeway than Charlie Strong. I think he's better respected, more liked, and has done more overall for the University. Thus, I think he will get a 4th year unless we don't make a bowl in 2018 plus don't make bowl again in 2019. If we end next year without a bowl, I think he'll be fired or extremely close to being fired. If we go 6-7 or 7-6 this year and next, I think he will get a 4th year to try and prove himself

So, if we lose to USC and Ryan is back here saying we need to fire TH.... maybe he should not show up at all.

I think Herman will have more leeway than Charlie Strong. I think he's better respected, more liked, and has done more overall for the University.
I don't think he will get more leeway. I was a Strong apologist because I thought any day we would turn the corner. Let's not forget the bad defense records the defense set against BYU, successive blocked extra points, loss to KU, successive blowouts to TCU, with no credible plan to fix anything. If TH does the same, he will suffer the same consequence.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
ill honestly be surprised if we finish bowl eligible. we have 2 games on the schedule right now that should be a guaranteed wins. Kansas and tulsa. we are not good enough to show up and win on talen alone anymore.

ill honestly be surprised if we finish bowl eligible. we have 2 games on the schedule right now that should be a guaranteed wins. Kansas and tulsa. we are not good enough to show up and win on talen alone anymore.

So do yourself a favor and don’t watch the rest of the year. I mean if it’s that bad why watch.

7-6 this year and his seat will be warm next year with pressure to win atleast 9 games...

8 wins keeps the heat off.

But a total collapse (3-9) will set the wheels in motion. Once the wheels are in motion, it takes an act of God (or 10 wins) to stop it.

So do yourself a favor and don’t watch the rest of the year. I mean if it’s that bad why watch.
because im not a fairweather fan. you can still love your team and be realistic. Ill love my horns till my dying breath, but we didnt show any improvement on offense this year. sam is no better than he was last year and i dont see him getting any better until he stops costing us games with terrible interceptions.

Reactions: elcapitan009
8 is probably safe for TH. Tulsa, ISU, KU, KState, and Baylor should all be wins simply on the significant talent edge. Tech is just above those teams, but UT should have the edge there too. That's 6 wins. OSU is the next step up, but UT hasn't actually beaten OSU in while, even when you should have. Then there is USC (equivalently talented as UT), TCU (better coached thus far), WVU (stud QB and system) and OU (the Big12's best until proven otherwise). To get to 8, you have to win all the "winnables" plus one of the last 4. If I had to predict, I'd say 7 wins, but if he gets to 8 then he's won at least one game he's not favored in and should be safe. Real question is what's the floor before the seat gets real warm for 2019? If he loses the last 5 on my list (OSU, USC, OU, WVU, & TCU) and ends the season 6-6, what will your thoughts be on TH? This to me is a realistic possibility, and would lead to the "fire an assistant coach as the scapegoat move" all hot seat coaches do.

Note: This is prior to bowl results.

Why oh why do I feel the need to take up for Herman? He took over a program with some talent and some problems. If he goes 4-8 (which is not happening) he'd still keep his job. He is recruiting better than his predecessor. He was at the top of your wish list or very close to it when you hired him. And who the hell would take a job where 3 guys have been fired in a little over 5 years. He'll get 4 years, basically no matter what.

Why oh why do I feel the need to take up for Herman? He took over a program with some talent and some problems. If he goes 4-8 (which is not happening) he'd still keep his job. He is recruiting better than his predecessor. He was at the top of your wish list or very close to it when you hired him. And who the hell would take a job where 3 guys have been fired in a little over 5 years. He'll get 4 years, basically no matter what.

Ryan, you paying attention?

because im not a fairweather fan. you can still love your team and be realistic. Ill love my horns till my dying breath, but we didnt show any improvement on offense this year. sam is no better than he was last year and i dont see him getting any better until he stops costing us games with terrible interceptions.

But you're not being realistic. To say 2-10 is a real possibility is not realistic. 10-2 is more likely than 2-10.

Fan bases are all stupid. After the Tulsa game many people grumpy now will declare all is well in Longhorn country. Many of my fellow Aggies who are in love with Jimbo will run to Texags to say we hired the wrong guy after Clemson beats us and Bama thumps us. I will run to Texags to laugh at idiots who are shocked and pissed Saturday night. Same as I will come here to laugh at people who claim we're back after Tulsa. It is all so predictable, and entertaining.

Someone on one of the boards I read put it best- "UT football will continue to suck, until it doesn't..." dont remember who said it or where it was said. but i agree with this statement. Until we have 10 win seasons every year, I'm to the point that we just suck.... until we dont suck. I'm over arguing with aggys and other ppl, I'm over making excuses, we just plain out suck... until we dont. hope that doesn't take too long bc it's a hard pill to swallow

^^^^^^^^^^ as good of a post about this as I have read. Coachemup generally says what I wish I would have said if I were smarter.

Reactions: CoachEmUp64
Someone on one of the boards I read put it best- "UT football will continue to suck, until it doesn't..." dont remember who said it or where it was said. but i agree with this statement. Until we have 10 win seasons every year, I'm to the point that we just suck.... until we dont suck. I'm over arguing with aggys and other ppl, I'm over making excuses, we just plain out suck... until we dont. hope that doesn't take too long bc it's a hard pill to swallow

Yes, we aren't great. We held onto Mack too long and hired the wrong guy afterward which has put us a decade behind recovery but 12-0 doesn't happen overnight. It takes time to rebuild and an important component is consistency and that includes the staff. 8-5 would be a good year coupled with a top 10 class considering our recruiting losses to rivals in-state. Part of the fun of a 12-0 team is the journey.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldhorn2
Yes, we aren't great. We held onto Mack too long and hired the wrong guy afterward which has put us a decade behind recovery but 12-0 doesn't happen overnight. It takes time to rebuild and an important component is consistency and that includes the staff. 8-5 would be a good year coupled with a top 10 class considering our recruiting losses to rivals in-state rivals. Part of the fun of a 12-0 team is the journey.

I agree with you 2300. However, I find myself asking....’are we there yet’ quite often

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT