ADVERTISEMENT

Fall Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoookem722

Nov 23, 2019
Well with the start of fall camp that means the season is right around the corner. Since nobody had started a thread I figured I would.

It looks like the freshman offensive line group are physically impressive. Cam Williams and Kelvin Banks are two that stood out as guys to look out for. I'm sure Campbell will be in the mix himself. It sounds like the starting 5 yesterday were all guys from last season (I'm sure that will change as camp goes on).

Yesterday Card was seeing all the reps with the first team from what I have read. I don't know how much to take from that but it's something worth noting.

As far as defense it was Jamison and Watts as the starting corners with Cook and Thompson playing safety. Didn't hear much about the front 7.

The starting units will change 100x probably from now until Conference play starts.

I feel for Card, because I don't know any fan that hopes he starts...unless they're family. And many fans will boo him if he isn't perfect.

Not a chance in hell Karic keeps his spot on the OL...Jones is in trouble too. I think Majors and Angilau are probably safe.

The starting units will change 100x probably from now until Conference play starts.

I feel for Card, because I don't know any fan that hopes he starts...unless they're family. And many fans will boo him if he isn't perfect.

Not a chance in hell Karic keeps his spot on the OL...Jones is in trouble too. I think Majors and Angilau are probably safe.

Agree. There is no mystery at QB. Ewers is starting. Starting out on the OL, it will probably be the veteran guys at first. I can see Flood and Sark easing in the highly touted freshman fairly soon into the season. Christian Jones is the worst of the veteran O-lineman. If he's starting beyond mid-season, we're in trouble.

Reactions: weevilcatch

I wouldn't be surprised at some point this year if there's 3 freshman starting. I could see
LT-Banks
LG-Angilau
C-Majors
RG-Campbell
RT- Cam Williams

They said Cam Williams has trimmed down to about 350 and was rag dolling the 2 man sled yesterday. He's one to watch out for. Also heard that Connor and Angilau had switched sides with Connor playing LG and Angilau playing RG.

Reactions: LonghornMM
I wouldn't be surprised at some point this year if there's 3 freshman starting. I could see
LT-Banks
LG-Angilau
C-Majors
RG-Campbell
RT- Cam Williams
That’s exactly how I think the line will look mid season. That’s a lot of freshmen up front. Scary.

That’s exactly how I think the line will look mid season. That’s a lot of freshmen up front. Scary.
It is pretty scary but I just don't think these older guys on the roster are as talented as some of these younger guys that are here now. It's going to get really scary week 2 when Will Anderson and Dallas Turner come to Austin. That game could get pretty ugly if we can't block those 2 guys.

Agree. There is no mystery at QB. Ewers is starting. Starting out on the OL, it will probably be the veteran guys at first. I can see Flood and Sark easing in the highly touted freshman fairly soon into the season. Christian Jones is the worst of the veteran O-lineman. If he's starting beyond mid-season, we're in trouble.

I actually prefer Jones over Karic. Jones graded much higher than Karic last year and Jones would be a decent RT.

Banks has to be the LT game 1. The only reason not would be if he isn't understanding blocking schemes/offense/etc.

Banks-Angilau-Majors-Hutson-Jones

That is my prediction to start game #1.

Karic-Campbell-Parr-Conner-Williams filling out the 2 deep.

That is 4 true freshmen and a RSFr in the two deep. Not good Bob, not good.

I actually prefer Jones over Karic. Jones graded much higher than Karic last year and Jones would be a decent RT.

Banks has to be the LT game 1. The only reason not would be if he isn't understanding blocking schemes/offense/etc.

Banks-Angilau-Majors-Hutson-Jones

That is my prediction to start game #1.

Karic-Campbell-Parr-Conner-Williams filling out the 2 deep.

That is 4 true freshmen and a RSFr in the two deep. Not good Bob, not good.
Jones is a pretty good RT. Having to move to the left side was a struggle for him last season. I think on the right side he's just fine though.

Reactions: weevilcatch
Hearing week 1 there are 4 groups. Most freshman are groups 3 and 4. That will change. Ewers didn't miss a pass yesterday. And J Sanders was the only freshman rolling with the 1s at TE. Kid looks massive.

If Card is getting reps with the 1’s then the decision has been made, he’s the sacrificial lamb that gets thrown out to Bama, after that it’s Ewers the rest of the way. Sark probably wants to ease Ewers into it, having him start against Bama isn’t necessarily a way to ease him into it imo

Reactions: westx
If Card is getting reps with the 1’s then the decision has been made, he’s the sacrificial lamb that gets thrown out to Bama, after that it’s Ewers the rest of the way. Sark probably wants to ease Ewers into it, having him start against Bama isn’t necessarily a way to ease him into it
Not true. Card along with all other tenure players (except TE with sanders) where starting. We will know who's starting QB after the 2nd scrimmage

Not true. Card along with all other tenure players (except TE with sanders) where starting. We will know who's starting QB after the 2nd scrimmage
I would say after last year’s game of musical chairs if Card is the starting qb, there will be big problems. I think Ewers has a much bigger upside but we’ll see. Having said that, not sure you throw Ewers out there against Bama having virtually never thrown a meaningful college pass. Bama is going to bring the heat and Sark may want to throw the expendable guy out there instead of the face of the program for the next couple years.

The Twitter OU fanbase stating that Texas must be broke because the players are being chartered to practice on a school bus, has been the most entertaining part of camp so far.

If Card is getting reps with the 1’s then the decision has been made, he’s the sacrificial lamb that gets thrown out to Bama, after that it’s Ewers the rest of the way. Sark probably wants to ease Ewers into it, having him start against Bama isn’t necessarily a way to ease him into it imo
First practice(s) you expect the transfer to roll out first?

Good luck selling team, and having to earn it, to the established guys.

Last edited:
Jamison and Watts at CB.....God help us all.....well all except the damned Sooners. Fact is that Watts is a Safety. He might be our best option at first, but he is a way better safety than a CB. Jameison is very fast, but he plays too much like Jameson to be a top flight guy.

And screw everyone that thinks so and so should start or even get a look so he doesnt get his feelings hurt and hit the portal! These guys are all getting paid now and pros need to just suck it up and quit whining.

While I am at it.....We have finally gotten rid of most of those no playing high 4 star guys that Herman kept putting on the team. Good riddance! What did we expect?. How are you gonna get "Dogs" on the team when they all knew that Herman kissed all the players? What kind of "Man" is gonna stand for that? You think a mean assed 5 star is gonna play where they have to kiss the coach?

ok, y'all go back to your happy little lives....

Jamison and Watts at CB.....God help us all.....well all except the damned Sooners. Fact is that Watts is a Safety. He might be our best option at first, but he is a way better safety than a CB. Jameison is very fast, but he plays too much like Jameson to be a top flight guy.

And screw everyone that thinks so and so should start or even get a look so he doesnt get his feelings hurt and hit the portal! These guys are all getting paid now and pros need to just suck it up and quit whining.

While I am at it.....We have finally gotten rid of most of those no playing high 4 star guys that Herman kept putting on the team. Good riddance! What did we expect?. How are you gonna get "Dogs" on the team when they all knew that Herman kissed all the players? What kind of "Man" is gonna stand for that? You think a mean assed 5 star is gonna play where they have to kiss the coach?

Hey you’re right these guys are well compensated pro athletes under the guise of student athletes, you want to get paid like the big boys then you better be winning or get your ass kicked to the curb and off the team. Can’t pay dead weight

Reactions: oldhorn2
Our OL was a liability last season. With that said I wanna believe Flood is going to coach 'em up to a point where they'll at least make the incoming guys have to work hard to earn a spot. This is his second fall with these guys and they should start to develop if he's as good a OL coach as we've been lead to believe. I know he was surrounded by studs at Bama so maybe he's not, but while I'm not drinking a sip of kool-aid on anything else I do think Flood will put a decent OL out there. If Banks or any other FR doesn't start game one because the OL is performing well that has to be a good thing right?

Not true at all. He’s going to go with one or the other and that’s going to be it. He’s not going to start Card for 2 games and then start Ewers after Bama. He’s basically already said that.

Don’t read to much into who is running with the 1’s the first week of camp. It’s going to change I can promise you.

Not true at all. He’s going to go with one or the other and that’s going to be it. He’s not going to start Card for 2 games and then start Ewers after Bama. He’s basically already said that.
Just for the record as I’ve said all summer i believe Ewers is your ultimate starter this year but I’m not sure if he starts the 1st or 2nd be game.that’s a different animal that could totally kill a qb’s confidence

Our OL was a liability last season. With that said I wanna believe Flood is going to coach 'em up to a point where they'll at least make the incoming guys have to work hard to earn a spot. This is his second fall with these guys and they should start to develop if he's as good a OL coach as we've been lead to believe. I know he was surrounded by studs at Bama so maybe he's not, but while I'm not drinking a sip of kool-aid on anything else I do think Flood will put a decent OL out there. If Banks or any other FR doesn't start game one because the OL is performing well that has to be a good thing right?
Believe it or not the offensive line played pretty well the last 3 games last season. They only gave up 4 total sacks in those 3 games. We averaged just under 200 yards rushing a game in those 3 games as well.

Just for the record as I’ve said all summer i believe Ewers is your ultimate starter this year but I’m not sure if he starts the 1st or 2nd be game.that’s a different animal that could totally kill a qb’s confidence
See I think you throw him out there and let him work all the kinks out in those 3 non conference games. I don’t want to just throw him out there to start conference play without any game reps. That’s just killing any kind of chemistry with your WRs that you might be building.

Reactions: JonBinge
See I think you throw him out there and let him work all the kinks out in those 3 non conference games. I don’t want to just throw him out there to start conference play without any game reps. That’s just killing any kind of chemistry with your WRs that you might be building.
True good points

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT