ADVERTISEMENT

Fall Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Twitter OU fanbase stating that Texas must be broke because the players are being chartered to practice on a school bus, has been the most entertaining part of camp so far.
When Hutto ISD needs their buses back, what will be the drill?!
Does UT have their own shuttle buses still?

The Twitter OU fanbase stating that Texas must be broke because the players are being chartered to practice on a school bus, has been the most entertaining part of camp so far.
What do they know? Sark making them boys sweat it out in those air conditioned busses on the way to and from practice is toughening them up. The hell with the naysayers.

Reactions: hookem777
The starting units will change 100x probably from now until Conference play starts.

I feel for Card, because I don't know any fan that hopes he starts...unless they're family. And many fans will boo him if he isn't perfect.

Not a chance in hell Karic keeps his spot on the OL...Jones is in trouble too. I think Majors and Angilau are probably safe.
I am Card all the way. I totally get Ewers upside, but our obsession with freshman qbs hasn’t worked out the last 10 years that we have been doing it. What on earth is the hurry at this point. Not Swoopes, Buechele, Sam, Card(last year). Cam Rising transferred out when he knew Sam would be there for a while, however he never started until last year at Utah. Had he stayed at Texas and waited for Sam to graduate, he and we wouldn't have missed a beat (assuming he would have beat out Casey).

I am Card all the way. I totally get Ewers upside, but our obsession with freshman qbs hasn’t worked out the last 10 years that we have been doing it. What on earth is the hurry at this point. Not Swoopes, Buechele, Sam, Card(last year). Cam Rising transferred out when he knew Sam would be there for a while, however he never started until last year at Utah. Had he stayed at Texas and waited for Sam to graduate, he and we wouldn't have missed a beat (assuming he would have beat out Casey).
But on the flip side look at Vince, Colt, and Sam what they did as freshman. You can’t just not start a guy because he’s a freshman. If it’s as close as it sounds like it is then you go with the guy who has the higher ceiling. That’s obviously Ewers. I think it’s a big difference from being a redshirt freshman and a true freshman. Both Vince and Sam redshirted a year and I think that was beneficial to them. Same with Ewers.

But on the flip side look at Vince, Colt, and Sam what they did as freshman. You can’t just not start a guy because he’s a freshman. If it’s as close as it sounds like it is then you go with the guy who has the higher ceiling. That’s obviously Ewers. I think it’s a big difference from being a redshirt freshman and a true freshman. Both Vince and Sam redshirted a year and I think that was beneficial to them. Same with Ewers.
Too many unkowns with freshmen. Vince and Colt had a very strong and experienced team on both sides of the ball. Sam was not impressive in the least his freshman and sophomore years. I get what you are saying and you may be right. However, are we for sure on the upside being that much of a difference? Let's remember the 4* vs 5* ranking is not an absolute.

• Haha
Reactions: jsto60
Too many unkowns with freshmen. Vince and Colt had a very strong and experienced team on both sides of the ball. Sam was not impressive in the least his freshman and sophomore years. I get what you are saying and you may be right. However, are we for sure on the upside being that much of a difference? Let's remember the 4* vs 5* ranking is not an absolute.
From everything I have seen from both kids Ewers is the more talented QB. Better arm strength and pocket presence. I am no expert by any means and could be totally wrong though. I have been really high on Hudson going back to last season though and think he has the potential to be really good.

I just know the few games I watched live of Quinn I came away very impressed with his arm. There isn’t a throw on the field he can’t make.

Reactions: westx

With all due respect to Buechele, Rising, Swoopes, etc. -- they are nothing talent wise compared to Ewers.

Ewers is a RS Fr., not a true freshman.

Yes, Ewers has much more upside than Card. The position is about throwing the football...and it is Ewers by a mile.

If Ewers is anywhere close tied to Card after not playing football in almost 2 years. you go with Ewers hands down my opinion..

From everything I have seen from both kids Ewers is the more talented QB. Better arm strength and pocket presence. I am no expert by any means and could be totally wrong though. I have been really high on Hudson going back to last season though and think he has the potential to be really good.

I just know the few games I watched live of Quinn I came away very impressed with his arm. There isn’t a throw on the field he can’t make.
Here's what I want to know, out of Card and Ewers who can scramble better? You take Rattler and Williams last year. Rattler vs Williams on a practice field just throwing the ball, Rattler wins. Under pressure and need to make a play scrambling around, Williams won. If you can't make some plays with your feet especially with the Bama game coming up that could be a factor.

Last edited:
Jeff Howe 247 practice notes, Day 2:
  • Card has had a lot more overthrows than Ewers through 2 days;
  • Savion Red looks like a serious dude physically;
  • Billingsley out with hamstring tightness again;
  • Angilau was working some at center;
  • Sorrell, Oghoufo, Coburn, and Ojomo are starting at DL;
  • Guilbeau is back at practice.

Additional notes from IT:
  • Hall looked sloppiest of all the receivers; bad routes and drops.
  • Troy Omeire has thest best hands of the receivers
  • Card has better footwork than Ewers, Ewers has better ball placement / speed variation
  • Malik Agbo looked like a specimen
  • Savion Red continued go get looks at Punt Returner

Here's what I want to know, out of Card and Ewers who can scramble better? You take Rattler and Williams last year. Rattler vs Williams on a practice field just throwing the ball, Rattler wins. Under pressure and need to make a play scrambling around, Williams won. If you can't make some plays with your feet especially with the Bama game coming up that could be a factor.
They are both pretty athletic but Card is faster. Card played receiver for a few years in high school. He’s a legit 4.5 guy. Ewers has the ability to extend plays with his legs as well.

Card always looks good in practice when it's not a live game. Once he starts getting pressured and hit he gets confused and makes bad plays. Ewers has elite arm talent who can make any throw, I hope he is tough to go along with it.

A sleeper guy to really keep an eye on from last years class is Savion Red. He was working extra after practice yesterday fielding punts and kickoffs. Sounds like he has really impressed these first couple of days. He was only a 3 star guy but when you watch his highlights he is a playmaker.

Jeff Howe 247 practice notes, Day 2:
  • Card has had a lot more overthrows than Ewers through 2 days;
  • Savion Red looks like a serious dude physically;
  • Billingsley out with hamstring tightness again;
  • Angilau was working some at center;
  • Sorrell, Oghoufo, Coburn, and Ojomo are starting at DL;
  • Guilbeau is back at practice.

Additional notes from IT:
  • Hall looked sloppiest of all the receivers; bad routes and drops.
  • Troy Omeire has thest best hands of the receivers
  • Card has better footwork than Ewers, Ewers has better ball placement / speed variation
  • Malik Agbo looked like a specimen
  • Savion Red continued go get looks at Punt Returner
Card is overthrowing because he's trying to match Ewers in velocity-- and he can't.

Think about the psychology at work here. You're a QB that sees the other guy throw a laser from the outside hash to the far sideline on a deep out. ZIP-- on a frozen rope.
Now its your turn to throw the same route to the same WR.
You take the snap, turn, plant and your brain goes "gotta throw it just as hard as the other guy or I lose my chance to start" - your legs flex, your hips turn, your abs tighten-- then your shoulder gets the signal from your brain and your little adrenal gland squeezes out that little extra drop, and just as your elbow is coming past your ear your wrist says "oh sh!t, we ain't gonna make it!" So your wrist tries to milk that last little bit of ZING and........ you over arch the throw.

Why?

God didn't give you the same arm the other guy has.

A sleeper guy to really keep an eye on from last years class is Savion Red. He was working extra after practice yesterday fielding punts and kickoffs. Sounds like he has really impressed these first couple of days. He was only a 3 star guy but when you watch his highlights he is a playmaker.

He could be a poor mans Percy Harvin. Pretty sure he played QB in HS.

You talking about the Gopher! Home of Rhett Bomar! Yeah I went to high school there, but this kid has a chip on his shoulder and has something to prove.

Question about the class of 2021. Who has concrete information about Morin Blackwell, JD Coffey, and Jaden Alexis on offense.

I feel bad for Alexis he reported early but got injured and with all the new talent at receiver he might get buried on the depth chart.

The class of '21 was ranked only 15th but this could be good class. Lord knows they can't be any worse than the class of '19.

Question about the class of 2021. Who has concrete information about Morin Blackwell, JD Coffey, and Jaden Alexis on offense.

I feel bad for Alexis he reported early but got injured and with all the new talent at receiver he might get buried on the depth chart.

The class of '21 was ranked only 15th but this could be good class. Lord knows they can't be any worse than the class of '19.
Some of those 2021 class guys could play significant snaps this year. Sanders, Worthy, Connor, Murphy, Sorrell, and Helm are all guys that should see the field. That class is going to end up being halfway decent it looks like.

I haven’t heard much about Blackwell. That can’t be a good sign considering how bad we need LBs.

Some of those 2021 class guys could play significant snaps this year. Sanders, Worthy, Connor, Murphy, Sorrell, and Helm are all guys that should see the field. That class is going to end up being halfway decent it looks like.

I haven’t heard much about Blackwell. That can’t be a good sign considering how bad we need LBs.
What about Jaden Alexis and Coffey?

And maybe Blackwell is one of those players who has as much talent as those ahead of him but isn't putting in the work that our coaches require of the players.

What about Jaden Alexis and Coffey?

And maybe Blackwell is one of those players who has as much talent as those ahead of him but isn't putting in the work that our coaches require of the players.
Haven’t heard anything about either of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT