Feb Recruiting and Portal movements

LonghornMM

Oct 23, 2002
Texas
Bijan was the # 2 rated back behind Zack Evans....neither started the season as the starter.

Actually at the end of the 2019 season, Robinson was rated higher than Evans by Rivals. There is no comparison between the two backs, IMO. Evans has some baggage and ethical issues that Robinson does not have.

Reactions: oldhorn2

JDCPAgolferHorn

Aug 30, 2020
Actually at the end of the 2019 season, Robinson was rated higher than Evans by Rivals. There is no comparison between the two backs, IMO. Evans has some baggage and ethical issues that Robinson does not have.
I know some folks in AZ and they had some reservations about how successful Bijan would be at the next level despite his ranking. Their thinking was the high school video game stats were at least attributable to the lower level competition in AZ. Glad they were wrong.
He’s a well spoken young man. His high school - Salpointe Catholic - is one of the most academically challenging high schools in AZ.
So glad we avoided the Evans drama.

JoeAg

Aug 17, 2014
I agree. Robinson looks like a really good one.

Son of Wasatch

Jan 9, 2012
I know some folks in AZ and they had some reservations about how successful Bijan would be at the next level despite his ranking. Their thinking was the high school video game stats were at least attributable to the lower level competition in AZ. Glad they were wrong.
He’s a well spoken young man. His high school - Salpointe Catholic - is one of the most academically challenging high schools in AZ.
So glad we avoided the Evans drama.

I had my own reservations about Bijan, but he proved in the camps that going against 5'star talent he was making them just look silly.

Brooks didn't have the opportunity to do the camps so he is still an unknown. I'm not concerned, by all accounts, Emmitt Smith shouldn't have been as good as he was on the college or pro level. He was never the biggest or fastest guy, but he was a Junk Yard Dog.

oldhorn2

Jan 2, 2013

Amen brother!....No question we came out on the long end of that deal!....what I was saying( damned poorly apparently) was that who cares how these guys are rated coming out of HS.?

horn wild

Dec 4, 2001
What I can’t figure out....why is little d_ _ _ syndrome over here trying to convince us LJ is better. Time will tell.

LonghornMM

Oct 23, 2002
Texas
Haynes King is not a D1 QB. Not sure who else they have on their roster, but it wouldn't take much to upgrade over Mond, lol.

outhereincali

May 30, 2015
I could be wrong but I felt all along that because last season was dominated by the pandemic that some teams would underachieve (LSU and TX) and that some teams would overachieve (BYU and NC).

The cow college goes from 8/5 to 11/1, an OB victory, and finish ranked 4th. But assuming we will have a full season in 2021 schools like them and ISU have to prove that last season was for real.

Time will tell

JDCPAgolferHorn

Aug 30, 2020
I could be wrong but I felt all along that because last season was dominated by the pandemic that some teams would underachieve (LSU and TX) and that some teams would overachieve (BYU and NC).

The cow college goes from 8/5 to 11/1, an OB victory, and finish ranked 4th. But assuming we will have a full season in 2021 schools like them and ISU have to prove that last season was for real.

Time will tell
The scamdemic was just another distraction - e.g., injuries, coaching changes, star WR getting a DUI, etc.
Disciplined, focused programs can overcome distractions or adversity. Maybe we had better talent than 7-3. But, as a program, we were no better than 7-3 ... scamdemic or no scamdemic.

ElDiabloTejano

Sep 16, 2014
i coached against brooks the last two years (not his senior yr). for what it's worth, he's taller than he looks-- i know because i coached against him in hoops too. he kinda glides-- covers more ground than it looks like he's covering. the other thing is he has excellent hands-- can catch the ball in heavy traffic. just a perspective from a high school coach-- no idea how it translates to college. as far as the 3a vs 5a-- i don't know much about the district the other kid was in, but i've seen 5a districts that schools like blanco, hallettsville, yoakum, columbus, edna (those 3 years when they had real coaches), and shiner would win or come close to. i don't think brooks played blanco, but he played the rest. for whatever that is all worth.

Oldmanastro

Jun 18, 2015
5* QB Maleek Murphy out of CA visiting next week. Class of 2022. Texas is high on his list, if not the favorite. Crystal balls being given to us.
Sark not waiting around for a Ewers flip.

clob94

Aug 25, 2014
5* QB Maleek Murphy out of CA visiting next week. Class of 2022. Texas is high on his list, if not the favorite. Crystal balls being given to us.
Don't know anything about this kid. Never seen his scout reel. Anybody got some footage?

JDCPAgolferHorn

Aug 30, 2020
He’s out of Junipero Serra high school - no more than 20 minutes from the USC campus. Junipero Serra is typically a feeder to USC. The fact that this kid is high on UT speaks to the Sark’s pull in CA. Very nice sign.

Reactions: weevilcatch

DHHorn

Dec 10, 2014
Don't know anything about this kid. Never seen his scout reel. Anybody got some footage?

Didn't play his junior year due to California shut down for COVID. The last time he suited up was when he was a sophomore.

I guess they give rankings out by reputation.

outhereincali

May 30, 2015
I am way less than an expert but he has long throwing motion for throws beyond 10 yards. He stays on his first wr (sometimes too long) and has nice accuracy. For some reason reminds me of Byron Leftwich...based on that short snipit of film.

Btw when I look at OK's recruiting it looks like it was their best defensive recruiting class in a long time.

But what happened with Tristan Leigh? It looked like it was going down to the wire between OK and ND and then all of a sudden Clemson comes out of nowhere and signs him. What's the story?

But it doesn't change that OK had an outstanding class. Clayton Smith could be a great one. And I've noticed the last few tears that OK recruits nationally their recruiting class is from coast to coast. And what do you think of Alex Grinch do you think he can be elite?

Last edited:

soonersoldier

Jul 22, 2001
Btw when I look at OK's recruiting it looks like it was their best defensive recruiting class in a long time.

But what happened with Tristan Leigh? It looked like it was going down to the wire between OK and ND and then all of a sudden Clemson comes out of nowhere and signs him. What's the story?

But it doesn't change that OK had an outstanding class. Clayton Smith could be a great one. And I've noticed the last few tears that OK recruits nationally their recruiting class is from coast to coast. And what do you think of Alex Grinch do you think he can be elite?
Last year continued into this year with improving the defensive recruits. The biggest change I see is in the defensive backfield: taller more physical athletes. By all accounts Clayton should be a special player. I think Grinch is slowly improving the defense while erasing M. stoops' past sins. My hope is he stays long enough to finish the goal.

Leigh didn't surprise me although I thought he would go LSU. Not getting Wheaton, Leigh, OR Foster did surprise me. It was a big swing and miss to end the recruiting season.

I will say there are two recruiting platforms now with the transfer portal. And Riley seems to have identified this early enough to take advantage. He has added some nice players through the portal this year which will step right in and help offset some high school recruits which were missed out on.

outhereincali

May 30, 2015
Last year continued into this year with improving the defensive recruits. The biggest change I see is in the defensive backfield: taller more physical athletes. By all accounts Clayton should be a special player. I think Grinch is slowly improving the defense while erasing M. stoops' past sins. My hope is he stays long enough to finish the goal.

Leigh didn't surprise me although I thought he would go LSU. Not getting Wheaton, Leigh, OR Foster did surprise me. It was a big swing and miss to end the recruiting season.

I will say there are two recruiting platforms now with the transfer portal. And Riley seems to have identified this early enough to take advantage. He has added some nice players through the portal this year which will step right in and help offset some high school recruits which were missed out on.

For all the burnt orange in my veins I have to admit that Riley was better, a lot better, than Herman when it came to the portal. But coach Sarkisian did well were getting players from LSU, and ND, schools that have had a lot of success the last three years. We'll see.

oldhorn2

Jan 2, 2013
while we are at it.....I run a lot of chit on aggy, but in many ways we stepped aside and let them take the lead on many things.I am not saying they were financially responsible, but they will never go broke so forget that. They stepped up and put lots of dollars in their facilities that we did not match. Then they went out and hired the best coach available and over paid him.Whatever, they got him with way less drama than we have had on the last few coaching hires. They are now taking advantage with high level recruiting.

I am not worried about being replaced as big brother because they are in the end still aggy. They put fake crap on their stadium walls and proudly point to it as meaningful.I mean....who else counts the spring game as a win? They will continue to glory in their win loss record as if they were playing a top schedule.

My point is that if we continue to sit on our fat ass instead of going full OU on everyone we could end up Nebraska or worse.

2300 Nueces

Sep 27, 2015
while we are at it.....I run a lot of chit on aggy, but in many ways we stepped aside and let them take the lead on many things.I am not saying they were financially responsible, but they will never go broke so forget that. They stepped up and put lots of dollars in their facilities that we did not match. Then they went out and hired the best coach available and over paid him.Whatever, they got him with way less drama than we have had on the last few coaching hires. They are now taking advantage with high level recruiting.

I am not worried about being replaced as big brother because they are in the end still aggy. They put fake crap on their stadium walls and proudly point to it as meaningful.I mean....who else counts the spring game as a win? They will continue to glory in their win loss record as if they were playing a top schedule.

My point is that if we continue to sit on our fat ass instead of going full OU on everyone we could end up Nebraska or worse.

And then there is the communist party on campus that must be addressed.

https://www.thecentersquare.com/tex...cle_a05ca900-04d6-11eb-bda8-5b7254899bcd.html

Oldmanastro

Jun 18, 2015
Sounds like it could be a good weekend with possibly some commitments for 2022. Malik Murphy QB from Cali on watch, possibly Williams a receiver. They want to play together. And there is a lb maybe from Dallas area named Johnson(?) who is rising in star rankings who we have crystal balls on.
Edit: Trevell Johnson 4* lb committing to someone today at 5pm.

Last edited:
Reactions: StrangerHorn