ADVERTISEMENT

Filling out the coaching staff

Leach was an attorney in the LA area and as you could probably tell wasn't really into being an attorney. He managed to get a GA position at Cal Poly. He linked up with Hal Mumme at Iowa Wesleyan in the late 80s. I think they next went to Valdosta State and tore up D2 for a while, then Kentucky.

I imagine if he was making 3-5k a year as a GA, Maybe 10-15k at Iowa Wesleyan, 30-40k at Valdosta. He was willing to be poor to live out his dream of being a college football coach. I guess its classic story of talent, hard work, and opportunity converging at the right time which gave him his shot at the big time and performing at a high level when he got there.

Texas needs to take Joey Maguire from Baylor he is a great coach and Texas connected

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sean Snyder, son of legendary Kansas State coach Bill Snyder, had a &quot;lengthy&quot; interview in Austin on Thursday for Texas&#39; vacant TE coach/special teams coordinator position, according to my sources. Unclear if he&#39;s the top candidate. Safe to say Tom Herman doing his due diligence <a href="https://t.co/OTwDAvyX8W">pic.twitter.com/OTwDAvyX8W</a></p>&mdash; Anwar Richardson (@AnwarRichardson) <a href="">January 16, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Looks like Okam might stay with Baylor? Does anyone know? Shit call the big man up Brian Orakpo and let him learn from Giles.

Looks like Okam might stay with Baylor? Does anyone know? Shit call the big man up Brian Orakpo and let him learn from Giles.
It wouldn't be a bad long term career move to be on Aranda's staff. Coaching under Aranda (who I guess is one of the up and coming defensive minds) and learning his system compared to Ash (who I don't think is regarded as a highly reputable DC in comparison).

Reactions: freeper
They are named in the Wikipedia link.

I didn't scroll that far down the first time.

I'd say Cutcliffe is pretty inspiring. He is revered for his work with QBs
Dykes played college baseball. Baseball players can compete in anything.
Drinkwitz just took the Mizzou job after killing it at Appy State
Freeze cheated at Ole Miss, but the dude can coach
Diaz is lackluster I'd say
Silverfield I don't know much about.

Reactions: 4MNChampsHorn
@clob94 What do you know or what can you tell us about Jay Boulware? He played under McWilliams and Mackovic in 91 & 92 and was a GA under Mackovic for a few years 94-96. He was just hired as our TE and ST coach. Hired him away from OU.

I don't understand why Herb Hand is staying. Sam was sacked more than any Big XII qb last year. In some games, the ISU game comes to mind the running game sucked. Why is he still here?

Reactions: 4MNChampsHorn
I don't understand why Herb Hand is staying. Sam was sacked more than any Big XII qb last year. In some games, the ISU game comes to mind the running game sucked. Why is he still here?

He's a pretty good recruiter and the OL problems were believed to be due to the predictability of the play calls. Teams knew what plays were coming.

@clob94 What do you know or what can you tell us about Jay Boulware? He played under McWilliams and Mackovic in 91 & 92 and was a GA under Mackovic for a few years 94-96. He was just hired as our TE and ST coach. Hired him away from OU.

my $.02

I'm also interested in @clob94 perspective.

He's been at OU since 2013 coaching the RB's I think. They've had some pretty good RB's. They always seem to have very good ST's as well. And I'm sure the dude can recruit.

I think this is a terrific hire!

Jay Boul--- great guy. Part of the class of beef. He had some sort of ailment that ended his career. I'm lying if I say I remember exactly what it was, but I think it had to do with his leg. I'm thinking it was a blood clot or something--- can't remember exactly. Anyway-- once they realized it was dangerous for him to play anymore, they created a position for him as a "special assistant" to the offensive line coach. He wasn't technically a GA at first, but after he graduated, he grew into the roll. It was weird because one day you were banging heads with him, and the next day he was wearing a ball cap and coaching shorts and had a whistle in his mouth.

He's a good guy and knows his sh!t and spent way more time in a film room at an early age than the rest of us did. He had to do double the film work that the coaches did for a while. I see him as a very solid addition to the staff.

There's a sooner named RJ Young who has a podcast I gotta admit he's pretty cool. I'm going to have to watch his take on Boulware.

Reactions: weevilcatch
Looks like most of the staff is in place. I guess we are waiting on DL coach? Does anyone know who is being considered? The only name I heard up to date was Okam.

So Okam is officially staying with Matt Rhule and taking a NFL job as a DL assistant. Good career move for him for sure.

DT is the last coaching spot open and there doesn't seem to be much noise out there currently. I wouldn't be shocked if we don't make the hire final until after NSD2 so that Carrington can keep recruiting until then. I would think that the candidate to fill the role would be pretty clear by then though.

Clob do you know anything about the DL coach from UNC? I saw that he is being considered.

Well Texas tried to hire Joey Maguire from Baylor but reports say he is staying with Baylor. I’m glad we at least tried.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT