ADVERTISEMENT

Filling out the coaching staff

Open the checkbook and get proven experienced guys !!!! We should be able to outbid anyone including the NFL period! I get so tired of settling for third choice . SMH .

Update (some moves not official yet):
Offense:
QB - Mike Yurcich (OC)
RB - Stan Drayton? could be NFL bound. Frank Wilson, former UTSA headcoach and RB coach (LSU, South Miss, Ole Miss) has been mentioned as a possible replacement.
TE - Open.
WR - Open - Likely gonna be Tyron Carrier (Houston WR coach, prev WVU, from Houston). Emmett Jones got a promotion and raise at Kansas.
OL - Herb Hand

Defense:
DT - Open. Frank Okam (UT alum) is the name I am hearing the most.
DE - Oscar Giles
LB - Open. Josh Tupoi interveiwed.
CB - Jay Valai - From Dallas area, has been quality control coach in Kansas City and with UGA. Coached CBs at Rutgers with Ash. Not a lot of on field coaching experiencing but has a good reputation.
S - Chris Ash (DC)

Valai and Ash have an extended history together, beginning in 2010 when Valai played for Ash at Wisconsin. With Ash coaching him as the defensive backs coach under head coach Bret Bielema and defensive coordinator Dave Doeren, Valai was a captain and starting safety for a Wisconsin squad that won 11 games, shared the Big Ten title, finished No. 7 in the final Associated Press Top 25 and played in the Rose Bowl.

A two-time second-team All-Big Ten defender, Valai worked as a quality control coach at Georgia for two seasons (2016, 2017) under head coach Kirby Smart and was a defensive quality control assistant for the Kansas City Chiefs for one season (2018) before Ash hired him to coach cornerbacks at Rutgers for the 2019 season.

Prior to his collegiate playing career with the Badgers, Valai was a three-star recruit according to the 247Sports Composite rankings in 2006 out of Colleyville Heritage. As a recruit, Valai reported Big Ten offers from Iowa and Minnesota along with offers from Louisiana Tech and UCF.

Lupoi took an NFL job.
Sounds like the interim WR coach is going to be made permanent.

Update (some moves not official yet):
Offense:
QB - Mike Yurcich (OC)
RB - Stan Drayton? could be NFL bound. Frank Wilson, former UTSA headcoach and RB coach (LSU, South Miss, Ole Miss) has been mentioned as a possible replacement.
TE - Open. Anyone hearing anything here?
WR - Andre Coleman - served as interim WR coach for bowl game and was an analyst for Texas this season. Most importantly, he was well liked amongst the WR room which is a welcome change from Mehringer.
OL - Herb Hand

Defense:
DT - Open. Frank Okam (UT alum) is the name I am hearing the most. Okam to interview on Wednesday.
DE - Oscar Giles
LB - Open. Josh Tupoi interveiwed but got a NFL job. Hutzler is the current leading candidate. Also has ST coaching experience.
CB - Jay Valai
S - Chris Ash (DC)

So, we are down to TE, DT and LB coaches +/- RB depending on Drayton.

Reactions: weevilcatch
I wonder if Ash knew he was going to have a copilot when he signed on... and why this guy? Gamecocks LB play was not a strong point

Saw a commercial with a female coach for the San Francisco 49ers. Don’t understand how a person that never played a down of competitive football can coach or be respected as a coach. Don’t consider female football competitive.

Dyk that Mike Leach never played a down of competitive fb either?

Last edited:
You know I really don't care about the names.

All I want to know is can they develop players? Cause last years staff didn't.

Will this be a unified staff? Please no more Meningers.

If this staff is good, really good, at this than next year should be an improvement over last year.

How much? I'm going to fold my arms and wait and see.

I wanted to create a thread for us to discuss the potential coaching holdovers and new hires at each position coach.

Offense:
QB - Mike Yurcich (OC)
RB - Stan Drayton - By multiple reports he will be retained as RB coach.
TE - Open. I have not heard many candidate's names at this point. Tim Brewster was thrown around casually but he just took a raise at UNC and isn't leaving Mack.
WR - Open - Top candidates Emmet Jones (Kansas WR coach, prev TTech, Dallas ties), Tyron Carrier (Houston WR coach, prev WVU, from Houston) basically a younger and less proven version of Jones.
OL - Herb Hand - By multiple reports he will be retained as OL coach

Defense:
DT - Open. Frank Okam (UT alum) is the name I am hearing the most. With Rhule leaving Baylor and the early career success of Okam, this could make a lot of sense. Also, pairing a younger coach with Giles would be good for recruiting
DE - Oscar Giles - By multiple reports he is likely to be retained
LB - Open. Another spot where there have not been many candidates names thrown around yet
CB - Jason Washington could potentially stay. Folks have mentioned Akina as a replacement. I haven't heard much else.
S - Chris Ash (DC) - this has been his position group in the past and would make the most sense for the position he coaches in addition to his DC role. Could he also coach CB if he wanted to keep Navair?
Any word on Okam..??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT